• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD): Compendium Thread

I'm having some trouble working out if these photos display the dramatic change in appearance the article suggests, or if it's mostly a case of changed expression/lighting/facial hair accentuating the chin etc etc.

Taken from this article:

From bone smashing to chin extensions: how ‘looksmaxxing’ is reshaping young men’s faces
Chiselled jaws, pouty lips, hunter eyes: everything is up for grabs in the quest to increase ‘sexual market value’. But how did this extreme cosmetic craze become mainstream? ~

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...ow-looksmaxxing-is-reshaping-young-mens-faces

1707989225611.png

(Kareem Shami, in 2020 (left) and 2023)

It just reminded me a bit of one of those godawful tv adverts in which a hapless dad, whose kids and wife evidently don't rate him, suddenly lives in perennial sunshine & becomes a hero to all just by taking-out home insurance or something. :D

It just reminded me a bit of one of those godawful tv adverts in which a hapless dad, whose kids and wife evidently don't rate him, suddenly lives in perennial sunshine & becomes a hero to all just by taking-out home insurance or something. :D

One advert that drove me to anger was a bloke quietly making chicken tortillas using a [brand] tortilla kit, while his missus was on the 'phone to a friend really doing him down, saying how she was 'risking' eating whatever he was making and how she might call later to book a meal out at a restaurant ... for her and her chum.
Even my wife hated that advert - talk about sexist stereotypes! "Oh HA HA - a 'bloke' is 'attempting' to cook dinner! Chuckle! You guys you!"
She agreed with me that if someone was talking about me like that, in my hearing and not a joke, I'd just make my own dinner and tell her to sod off to the restaurant!

Hes wearing contacts as well, unless they can change eye colour permanently, suprising how much your eye colour can change your look
I thought it was just my imagination about the eye colour. I was trying to see if it was the same person in both pics because of the eyes. The younger pic of him has blue eyes, as I see them.

And as @staticgirl mentions, his face has matured and is not as rounded. So, yes @Steven, the beard and hair style frame his face differently as you thought.

Currently mulling over whether to ask my GP for a referral for assessment on the NHS - happy to wait for years as I know I have AS traits. A label might be useful though? I don't anticipate asking for any extra help from them even if I do have the label.

The issue is this area is rather loath to give out the ASD diagnoses as the local health & council services are already overloaded and I can't bear being made to feel as if I'm a nuisance or attention-seeker.

Currently mulling over whether to ask my GP for a referral for assessment on the NHS - happy to wait for years as I know I have AS traits. A label might be useful though? I don't anticipate asking for any extra help from them even if I do have the label.

The issue is this area is rather loath to give out the ASD diagnoses as the local health & council services are already overloaded and I can't bear being made to feel as if I'm a nuisance or attention-seeker.
I'd have no hesitation in seeing your GP. The fact that you think you may feel you're a nuisance or attention seeker means that you are neither of those things. That's what the NHS is for, but be prepared to be fobbed off and to press the issue if you are concerned. If you are prepared to share let us know how you get on.

*Yith can't come to the phone right now; he's busy neuroqueering.*

Why do so many people seem determined to cling onto the idea that normalcy is a proper word?
What do you mean? It's a word ... (mostly US usage) ... What is a proper word?

What do you mean? It's a word ... (mostly US usage) ... What is a proper word?

Prescriptive/Descriptive: I don't accept widely adopted errors as newly correct.

Simply put, coining new words to cover definitions already covered by very common words is a waste of everybody's time and an invitation to confusion.

Words that take the suffix –cy are nouns and adjectives sourced from Latin and Greek words ending with '–ia' and ending in English with 't' or 'c':

agent > agency
buoyant > buoyancy
pirate > piracy
incumbent > incumbency
redundant > redundancy
piquant > piquancy
lunatic > lunacy

There is sometimes confusion as to whether the noun is sourced from a noun or adjective (and whether we're looking at ancient or mediaeval Latin). I'm no expert, but the pattern is fairly easy to discern.

Not 'l':

equal / > equalcy
radical / > radicalcy
jovial / > jovialcy
actual / > actualcy
rational / rationalcy

Normality has this one; normalcy can stand down.

Do we have abormalcy yet?

One advert that drove me to anger was a bloke quietly making chicken tortillas using a [brand] tortilla kit, while his missus was on the 'phone to a friend really doing him down, saying how she was 'risking' eating whatever he was making and how she might call later to book a meal out at a restaurant ... for her and her chum.
Even my wife hated that advert - talk about sexist stereotypes! "Oh HA HA - a 'bloke' is 'attempting' to cook dinner! Chuckle! You guys you!"
She agreed with me that if someone was talking about me like that, in my hearing and not a joke, I'd just make my own dinner and tell her to sod off to the restaurant!
It's quite often role reversal here.

A few years ago MrsF was doing something online called Football Manager, which although there is a clue in the name, I don't know what it entails exactly.

I come passing through with the laundry basket- I'm doing a whites wash if you've got anything to add.............

Prescriptive/Descriptive: I don't accept widely adopted errors as newly correct.

Simply put, coining new words to cover definitions already covered by very common words is a waste of everybody's time and an invitation to confusion.

Words that take the suffix –cy are nouns and adjectives sourced from Latin and Greek words ending with '–ia' and ending in English with 't' or 'c':

agent > agency
buoyant > buoyancy
pirate > piracy
incumbent > incumbency
redundant > redundancy
piquant > piquancy
lunatic > lunacy

There is sometimes confusion as to whether the noun is sourced from a noun or adjective (and whether we're looking at ancient or mediaeval Latin). I'm no expert, but the pattern is fairly easy to discern.

Not 'l':

equal / > equalcy
radical / > radicalcy
jovial / > jovialcy
actual / > actualcy
rational / rationalcy

Normality has this one; normalcy can stand down.

Do we have abormalcy yet?
Ah, you're a linguistic prescriptivist - David Crystal and Samuel Johnson aren't pleased, lol :)

Would it help ease your mind to know that the OED records first usage sometime in the mid 1800s?

https://www.oed.com/dictionary/normalcy_n?tl=true#:~:text=The earliest known use of,adj., ‑cy suffix.

Back