• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD): Compendium Thread

'Brady narrates much like she writes: with candour, deadpan humour and abject fury at how society and even the medical profession misunderstand neurodivergence. She was once told by a psychiatrist that she couldn’t be autistic because she was able to look people in the eye and had boyfriends. Autism, she reveals, is more frequently missed in women since they are generally better at “masking” than men.'

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...y-review-moving-account-of-undiagnosed-autism

One of the most frustrating things about the Condition is my rarely knowing if a behaviour is due to ASC or not. Or if it's because of my general silliness or typically disorganised thinking. For instance, a day ago I wrote an email to someone in which I described a ceremony which I knew they had actually attended. :( My 'mistake' only dawned on me, today, as I once again checked the sent email for typos etc. It's as if the 'I' who knew they'd attended was a different person to the 'I' who wrote* to tell them what the occasion was like. I can't understand the cause of this, seeing as it wasn't due to forgetfulness.

* Or could it even be that I 'see' that one person as, effectively, two different people?

Last edited:
One of the most frustrating things about the Condition is my rarely knowing if a behaviour is due to ASC or not. Or if it's because of my general silliness or typically disorganised thinking. For instance, a day ago I wrote an email to someone in which I described a ceremony which I knew they had actually attended. :( My 'mistake' only dawned on me, today, as I once again checked the sent email for typos etc. It's as if the 'I' who knew they'd attended was a different person to the 'I' who wrote* to tell them what the occasion was like. I can't understand the cause of this, seeing as it wasn't due to forgetfulness.

* Or could it even be that I 'see' that one person as, effectively, two different people?
Possibly your "disorganized thinking" as you call it?

Perhaps you were more engrossed in describing your experience of the event than realizing, later, who you sent the email to?

I don't think this is unusual as I have often spoken to someone about an event and only realized later that they also attended. Then I have a "duh!" moment.:doh:

I do suspect that you are too critical of yourself. We all tend to be.

I tell myself to be kind to myself. That is very difficult to do, but ask yourself if you would treat someone as harshly if they had done the same thing. If you would respond in kindness to that person, then extend that same kindness to yourself.:group:

A good article that strikes back against the alarming and suspicious rise in lazy and expedient claims that there is an alarming and suspicious rise in diagnoses:

The sudden rise of AuDHD: what is behind the rocketing rates of this life-changing diagnosis?
Just over a decade ago, autism and ADHD were thought to be mutually exclusive. But in recent years, all that has changed:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...ehind-rocketing-rates-life-changing-diagnosis

A young bloke with autism and limited vision/hearing in the next town likes to count coins. He posts about it on Facebook.
People take him their rattly coin tins and he counts it all up and takes it to the bank to change for notes.
He does it for fun but the kinder 'customers' give him 10% which he appreciates.

So on our bike ride this morning we dropped off all the change we had lying around and young Sir counted it for us. :bthumbup:

Attachments

• coin denominations.jpeg
    coin denominations.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 12
  • counted coins.jpeg
    counted coins.jpeg
    774.9 KB · Views: 9
The random scattering on the lower right consists of various foreign and pre-decimal UK coins, a badly burned 50p and a washer. :chuckle:

He counts by feel so stacking coins helps him pick out oddly-sized ones. This is how for example he weeds out Euros from pounds.

I collected my cash - nearly fifty quid, minus commission - last night and spent it right away on food. :cool:

Does anyone else have physical issues connected with their ND?

I have had IBS, headaches, migraines, eczema, psoriasis, asthma most of my life (causing me much pain, embarrassment, and discomfort). I feel stress so easily, so that I have many stress related issues too (compounded with insomnia).

Also, because I'm so hypersensitive I feel internal body sensations far more than is useful - I have a hypersensitive bladder, sensitive allergirs to dust and pollen and detergent etc, very picky eater (leading to food issues and obesity), nausea is common, as is eyestrain, my sweat burns my skin, I can't stand things being too hot or cold (it hurts too much), I have pains and discomfort in my body at all times, and local anesthetics don't work (as I very painfully discovered).

I spent many years trying to lessen the physical and emotional pain with alcohol (I don't drink anymore) which also left its physical mark. As did my multiple COVID periods, which has now left me extremely vulnerable to air-borne viruses - so I spend half my year with colds and flu and other bugs.

And all this leads to hypochondria and a constant sense of things being really wrong with my health - and I can't tell when they are or are not - thus increasing my anxiety and setting off various symptoms.

In short, I am always physically a wreck, and it seems almost entirely connected to my ND (as it was the case for my late mother).

I've heard that such stuff is common. Do others have physical struggles connected to their ND?

I have a lot of stomach issues and stress. I think I may be a pickier eater than I think I am as I will try things but only regularly eat a very limited range. Although that might be because I hate cooking and have low skills.

I have a lot of stomach issues and stress. I think I may be a pickier eater than I think I am as I will try things but only regularly eat a very limited range. Although that might be because I hate cooking and have low skills.
Cooking is the worst! It really stresses me out, especially if there's anyone else in the kitchen. I have learned to reduce my food down to things I can eat cold, or prepare easily in less than 10mins.

I used to enjoy cashing up at our shop.
It's soothing to me.
When I'm sorting/counting there has to be total silence or I'll lose track and have to start again. This applies with everything, not just money.

There's also the learning difficulty aspect, where I can't deal with lots of similar but different things. Lego? Nope. Jigsaws? Nope.

Loads of spools and reels of thread in many shades, some very similar but not identical? Urk.

Argh. I hate to be one of those 'Do you think you might be autistic?' types - particularly as I have no qualification to ask or suggest - but all ^that^ really rings a bell, personally.

Argh. I hate to be one of those 'Do you think you might be autistic?' types - particularly as I have no qualification to ask or suggest - but all ^that^ really rings a bell, personally.
I was diagnosed in my 40s when I was a mature student.

Had gone to Student Services to ask for advice about my appalling handwriting which had always held me back. The response was 'You may have a learning difficulty!' to which I replied disdainfully 'I do NOT have a learning difficulty.'

I did of course, several in fact, but also have abilities that go with it all. :cool:

Oh. :)

That wrong-headed assumption by the adviser is annoying, and probably typical of many people.

Ah, I'm sorry. It's just that it was rather drummed into me recently, by an adviser, that 'ASC is not a mental illness or a learning difficulty'. The adviser seemed angry that some people assume these things. Also, she dismissed the idea that autists lack empathy as 'a damaging myth'. Maybe she was trying to make me feel better about myself, in case I need to?

This is sad for the kid. Police make all kinds of assumptions about people's behaviour and in this case, they thought his behaviour was due to drug intoxication. I don't know that I can think of any kind of behaviours that people with autism might display that I would assume as due to drug use. Hand flapping, pacing, squeals - I don't know what his behaviours are, but I don't believe the police observed him long enough to differentiate weird behaviour as not due to drugs.

This is a comment made by the arresting officer:
The arresting officer told ASIRT investigators that he would have arrested anyone who was behaving the way Ryley was that day, and that the teen's actions made people in the park afraid.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-autistic-teenager-arrest-family-1.7164472

Does anyone else have physical issues connected with their ND?

I have had IBS, headaches, migraines, eczema, psoriasis, asthma most of my life (causing me much pain, embarrassment, and discomfort). I feel stress so easily, so that I have many stress related issues too (compounded with insomnia).

Also, because I'm so hypersensitive I feel internal body sensations far more than is useful - I have a hypersensitive bladder, sensitive allergirs to dust and pollen and detergent etc, very picky eater (leading to food issues and obesity), nausea is common, as is eyestrain, my sweat burns my skin, I can't stand things being too hot or cold (it hurts too much), I have pains and discomfort in my body at all times, and local anesthetics don't work (as I very painfully discovered).

I spent many years trying to lessen the physical and emotional pain with alcohol (I don't drink anymore) which also left its physical mark. As did my multiple COVID periods, which has now left me extremely vulnerable to air-borne viruses - so I spend half my year with colds and flu and other bugs.

And all this leads to hypochondria and a constant sense of things being really wrong with my health - and I can't tell when they are or are not - thus increasing my anxiety and setting off various symptoms.

In short, I am always physically a wreck, and it seems almost entirely connected to my ND (as it was the case for my late mother).

I've heard that such stuff is common. Do others have physical struggles connected to their ND?
I have (self-diagnosed but it's pretty obvious) ADHD and as of 10 years ago, MS. I'm also a picky eater, extremely picky when I was very young (I would only eat peanut butter sandwiches until I was 7 or 8) but after becoming an adult, I was able to add some new foods. I also have allergies and slight asthma and a whole host of abnormalities thanks to my dad's exposure to Agent Orange just before I was conceived and losing the genetic lottery.

I have to say, your problems seem to be immune related exacerbated by stress. Have you consulted an endocrinologist, immunologist or a rheumatologist?

I've been to the GP with all things, albeit separately, and been tested for coeliac. No GP has ever said anything about anything - they just say they don't know. After 20+ years I gave up and just live with everything. I find GPs to be very rude and dismissive, and getting appointments is very difficult, so I don't bother any more. I find the whole thing upsetting.

Ah, I'm sorry. It's just that it was rather drummed into me recently, by an adviser, that 'ASC is not a mental illness or a learning difficulty'. The adviser seemed angry that some people assume these things. Also, she dismissed the idea that autists lack empathy as 'a damaging myth'. Maybe she was trying to make me feel better about myself, in case I need to?
Your adviser is bang up to date with the latest thinking on the subject. It's not just because they don't want to upset you - that would be unethical in terms of being beneficial to you long term. It sounds like they really care about the people they advise which is great! All the same, I hope you are reassured.

Your adviser is bang up to date with the latest thinking on the subject. It's not just because they don't want to upset you - that would be unethical in terms of being beneficial to you long term. It sounds like they really care about the people they advise which is great! All the same, I hope you are reassured.
Thank you. :)

I kinda dreaded the assessment, in advance of it, because I assumed it would be emotionally painful. However, much to my surprise, it was really helpful (regarding my peace of mind); mainly because I no longer have to ceaselessly wonder about possible causes of lifelong behaviours.

I've never been officially diagnosed.
I've never felt the need to.
I didn't ask to be and it hadn't crossed my mind. At the time I'd gone back to university and just wanted advice about dealing with my pitiful handwriting.

As previously mentioned, it had always been a problem. The standard 'help' at school in the '60s was being screamed at and slapped around. At higher education level I suspected tutors of marking me down for it. Things were desperate.

I didn't ask to be and it hadn't crossed my mind. At the time I'd gone back to university and just wanted advice about dealing with my pitiful handwriting.

As previously mentioned, it had always been a problem. The standard 'help' at school in the '60s was being screamed at and slapped around. At higher education level I suspected tutors of marking me down for it. Things were desperate.
Isn't handwriting just like anything else though- how some people are good at maths, some at art, some at sport etc?

(And then rare cases like me who have no discernible talents whatsoever).

It's absolutely fine whether you go for diagnosis or not. If you're self diagnosed you're still part of the community.

I am currently facing a block. I'd like to apply for assessment, I've researched and identified who I'd like to do it. I have money saved so I don't need to go through NHS gatekeepers. I'm not a kid so I don't need an NHS diagnosis for school.

And yet that first enquiry email seems so impossible right now. I'm obviously sh-t-scared. I keep telling myself I can pull out any time and it's only one little email to say 'hello' but that's not getting through right now. I've done the AQ test over and over to remind myself that it's not a ridiculous idea. I hate change, which itself can be an indicator I believe. I also don't like spending money but that's me being from Lincolnshire.

I'll get there, just taking time.

Last edited:
My kid has an official diagnosis of atypical autism and we were just saying today how he is easily the most sociable person in our family...

He does get exhausted when he gets home at night from an entire day of highly effective masking but walk through town with him, it's like you're with someone famous, so many people want to come up and say hi to him and remember him from being at x or y place.

Back