• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD): Compendium Thread

The biggest trip-up comes from colloquialisms.
There's a move towards English Lingua Franca, as a shared usage for people; this is a really basic knowledge of English, the forgiving of spelling and grammar errors, and reduction of colloquial meanings. People can learn English without feeling nervous about getting it wrong. You're corrected but in a supportive way rather than a restrictive way.
E.G. "Oh ... you mean XYZ? No problem - we'd say that in this context. How would you say it in your own language?"

I can get in a right state about misunderstanding the difference between (and the pronunciation of) the names Eileen and Elaine. It's as if every time I see those names, I can't remember how each is said or read. This is the kind of seemingly tiny problem which nonetheless nearly reduces me to tears.

Dunno where it came from but as a child, I always pronounced the word Mercedes as, well, 'Mer-credese'.
Same'ere. Came across it in The Count of Monte Cristo. If I heard it as the car name I didn't associate it with the spelling.

I talk and listen to many people who have accents. I have found that they are often just speaking too quickly for me to grasp everything said. When I ask them to speak more slowly, I don't have a problem understanding.

Two of my coworkers are from India and they both have told me that I speak quickly and they have trouble understanding what I say.

The difficulty comes in translation. Trying to figure out if the English word they use is the correct one for the context. That's where we have to slow down and make sure we both understand what we are talking about.
Yes thats very true and I do speak fast sometimes ....mind you most I always thought when I spoke to some West Indians the slang "I MAN" ( as in Way i man) had a common ground :chuckle:

I can get in a right state about misunderstanding the difference between (and the pronunciation of) the names Eileen and Elaine. It's as if every time I see those names, I can't remember how each is said or read. This is the kind of seemingly tiny problem which nonetheless nearly reduces me to tears.
I've got a mate called Sophia and .. it's not her fault her parents chose to cram three sylables into six letters but now I can't call her Sophie which would be rude but which would save time because it's two sylables and rolls off the tongue easier. That's not her name though. I just call her 'Soaph'. If our mods will please indulge me, I think this song is relevant to this conversation.

Last edited:
I'd forgotten about 'Aileen' too. Unless that's actually a name I imagined/made-up.

I've got a mate called Sophia and .. it's not her fault her parents chose to cram three sylables into six letters but now I can't call her Sophie which would be rude but which would save time because it's two sylables and rolls off the tongue easier. That's not her name though. I just call her 'Soaph'. If our mods will please indulge me, I think this song is relevant to this conversation.

I actually think that the name Sophia rolls off the tongue better than Sophie.

I have a similar thing with numbers. In my head, I "see" a number correctly but if I try to say it or write it down, it comes out garbled.

I also used to do simple sums backwards and stuff like that. It took one teacher finally sitting down next to me and watching me do a division sum to figure out why I was always so wrong... I couldn't tell the time (in the days when it was all analogue) til I was high school age. Numbers just mean shit to me. When I wanted to be a teacher I had to teach myself GCSE Maths as I'd failed at school. I managed it using one very good library text book that I just hacked my way through for months over and over, til the BS stuck in my head enough to pass. (Didn't want to spend money on it). Oddly, I was good at teaching Maths maybe because I struggled with it so much, myself. And the kids would help me if I got stuck... I never hid from them I had dyscalculia (although no word for it then).

I want to cry if I have to do something (like for example, record a tracking number) where you're asked to write down a long number. It's really upsetting to me. Words? Even though long covid has mangled the neurology, I'm still fine with words, although still a bit horrified when I struggle to remember one. But never as out and out distressed as I am if confronted with numbers.

As many people on the spectrum or with dyspraxia also have dyslexia, I suspect for some of us, it's dyscalculia instead. Definitely something hard-wired, in me, that not only doesn't get it when it comes to numbers or maths but also actually gets triggered by it. Maths has traditionally been one of the worst taught subjects in the UK education system, which doesn't help.

It's an Irish name, IIRC. My mum had an army friend called Aileen.

Ah, thank you. :)

This 'name' issue of mine obviously appears completely trivial and silly...not least because, thankfully, I don't know anyone bearing those names; but in fact, the problem is indicative of the difficulties I sometimes have with communication of all kinds (apparently, a common issue for many autistic people) - my upset in this specific case is not about the names as such but instead about the frustration with this kind of difficulty and others related to the central problem, which is communication.

@GITM - It threw me when I discovered that not a few autists struggle with mathematics; goes to show how frequently wrong-headed the 'popular' images of autists & autism are (that is, the images as presented in the media and culture generally): 'But we/they are all supposed to be maths geniuses!?!?'

@GITM - It threw me when I discovered that not a few autists struggle with mathematics; goes to show how frequently wrong-headed the 'popular' images of autists & autism are (that is, the images as presented in the media and culture generally): 'But we/they are all supposed to be maths geniuses!?!?'
This reminded me of when we went to a parents' evening at college for my son with atypical autism. He was doing an Art BTEC and one of his teachers said to us - seeming quite surprised - that he was good but he wasn't a "savant". To me that still had connotations of "idiot savant" and to come from an educator... Just not a term I'd have used.

The college was brilliant - it was just this one teacher.

It's hard to know for certain whether that was a compliment to your son, or an unwitting insult.

I have that problem with numbers too @Ghost In The Machine
I've just read the electric and gas meters and although the numbers are only 4 to 5 digits long I rechecked them about 20 times before, during and after inputting them onto the website. Still got both of them wrong.
Well that can certainly cause you problems. Especially if you misread a larger number. Ouch $$$$$

When it comes to taking readings, I literally draw the requisite squares and write the numbers in one at a time.
Which is odd because ...
Growing up, at school, my maths was crap. Mental arithmetic - minimal; division - an arcane art! I got lousy 'O' level and CSE results for the subject ... but something was there.
In my hobby/profession of (tabletop) role playing games, I had to review many - bad and good. One (a science fiction game called Other Suns) was fun to play but the character generation and even ship creation system was lousy; I suddenly realised what was wrong. All the (laborious) calculations were based on flawed algebra! I sat there, before starting a major month-long campaign, correcting the bad algebra.
Over a decade later and, to help with my company accounts, we took a C&G course in Book-keeping and accountancy. Both t'missus and I passed with distinction. I'd figured it out.
While my mathematics is poor, my condition means I see patterns and errors in that pattern. The numbers to me are irrelevant - I tend to spot faults in the pattern and unexpected results.
Still and all, the proliferation of calculators was a godsend to me. Thanks to my early 80's 'O' levels, I have the pointless skill of using slide-rules!

There are only two relevant sections for the input of a meter reading: gas, and electric. Yet I still have to check and check to make sure that I've written-down each one correctly, according to the two headings on my notepaper, and then typed each one in the correct box on the energy company's website.

It's an old cliché, though one which is frequently disputed, that virtually all of a person's writing is essentially autobiographical in one way or another. Maybe - and admittedly this is a mere guess - that is especially true for autistic people; here's one instance, among too many to list, of why I believe this to be so:

The people who regularly attend my local church have always been great to me. They're aware of my Condition but, 99% of the time, treat me like any other parishioner. The problem - which nobody criticises me for but which haunts me - is that I contribute practically nothing, regarding the church's 'welfare', whereas they seem to be either very practical and capable people who carry out voluntary work for the church, while others have semi-official positions (Lectors, for example). I'm not really capable of being like them, due to my difficulties with all manner of often quite basic activities or even with prolonged interaction e.g. counting, manual work, anxiety etc etc. With this frustrating 'uselessness' in mind, I thought I'd offer to write an article or two for the church's website, seeing as writing used to be my pastime and it's also the perhaps the one thing in which I can occasionally at least appear semi-competent. Accordingly, I wanted to write about a famous Rembrandt etching titled Christ Preaching:

1713956825237.png

Though certainly no expert, I thought this activity might be the best of both worlds, because art is something I'm interested in, and also because the etching's Christian themes would give me the chance to write something appropriate (and hopefully appealing) for a Catholic readership. This idea seemed Steven-proof, for once, and I so I began to think about the particular artwork, to interpret Rembrandt's possible intentions...and that's when my troubles began.

The scene depicted by the artist is literal: it describes an incident told in two of the Gospels accounts and, aside from tiny nods of homage which Rembrandt included - references to other artists and works which influenced his etching - the picture is simply a straight retelling of a familiar but resonant theme. In other words, no matter how alluring my own ideas about the artist's and artwork's supposed deeper meanings might be to me, my opinions on these subjects are if not actual nonsense then certainly plain wrong. Obviously, it would be irresponsible, presumptuous and an entire waste of time for the readers if I subjected them to my views on Christ Preaching; and so the 'moral' of this tedious post is that I failed to recognise and acknowledge the reality (of the work and the actual intent behind it) and instead literally spent days in a fantasy world of wish fulfilment - without ever intending to, my mind had decided that a) I knew better than actual experts, those who have 'deciphered' this (actually very straight-forward) etching, and b) I knew of Rembrandt's 'deeper meaning' in his choice of subject and in how he represented this well-known scene. I wish I could state that this was merely hilarious and totally unmerited arrogance on my part but that isn't the case, particularly as I'm ever aware of my limitations; but the truth is that I'd been so obsessive, so intoxicated by my self-imposed task that I had 'created a world' that I actually understood (for once). This had nothing to be with intelligence or any lack of intelligence. It might seem to have nothing to do with autism. Yet I venture that even those here who have zero interest in the ostensible subject of this post - art, art criticism, the pastime or career of writing - might recognise themselves in it...because, despite appearances, it's not really about an autist's limits and frustrations nor even about the kind of immaturity we're often accused of displaying ('magical thinking', addiction to Fantasy/more general fantasy etc) - it's basically about our mental creation of alternative 'worlds', ones in which our thinking explains everything and effectively welcomes our unusual manner of thinking. Perhaps noteworthy too is the fact that I wasn't, in writing that piece, trying at all to be a contrarian or to offer a supposedly new angle on the work; I was simply attempting to think like the mass of people. I wasted my time and I failed in my set task, but that 'failure' said so much. Maybe the most significant thing is that my language of communication - so often as chaotic as this post surely is...to some - only fails on the world's terms.

@Steven It sounds like that artwork evoked a strong imaginative reaction in you. Rembrandt would probably have been proud of the inspiration it caused. You may be able to rewrite the piece as spiritual philosophy on the subject of the painting, almost like a story of your response. People used to write about their spiritual life in the medieval and renaissance. It may not end up in your church magazine as it sounds like an almost out of body experience which parishioners may not relate to (you'll know best) but it might be worth doing, at your leisure, as part of your spiritual growth. I am not saying you'll be the next Hildegard of Bingen but I don't think it was time wasted. Come back to it later when you feel ready.

In the meantime, it may be that more simple pieces can still be written for the Church website later. You probably need to work out exactly what you need to write and what your audience needs. Create a template, almost, and then fill it. It's like writing to a brief, which is a useful skill.

Thank you for that lovely and understanding reply. :)

Though I'm not in any way a fascinating person, I can't help but be deeply interested in my response to the print. What I've found most interesting is this: every work of commentary by proper art critics, and indeed, the actual Bible text authors too, stresses how rapt in attention (to Christ) the crowd are. These writers state that the crowd hang on his every word, and are captured deep in thought about the weighty things he is saying, momentarily forgetting or putting aside their apparently pressing concerns...yet somehow I view their expressions and 'attitudes' very differently - in fact, my impression is completely opposed to the standard commentary. Because the painting is 'literal', this means that my impression is plain wrong; after all it is a simple retelling, in pictorial fashion, of an actual incident (at least, as told to us in the Gospels).

I really could go on and on about this particular vast and strange difference in perception but maybe it's enough for me to just speculate that this difference may be due to autism: chiefly and specifically, my struggles to correctly and swiftly 'read' other people's expressions and their body-language. (That's just a guess, though, as I'm often very bad at working-out what is and what isn't 'autistic behaviour'.)

Steven: If you struggle to read faces and intent in other people, don`t you think the error was in picking a work of art relying on that? There might be more action-oriented works of art that you would do better with.

Yes, that's a good idea, Xan. Especially as I'm only really capable of 'viewing' the print as I've described above - I couldn't simply lie to any readers, and just echo what other authors have written.

The people who regularly attend my local church have always been great to me. They're aware of my Condition but, 99% of the time, treat me like any other parishioner. The problem - which nobody criticises me for but which haunts me - is that I contribute practically nothing, regarding the church's 'welfare', whereas they seem to be either very practical and capable people who carry out voluntary work for the church, while others have semi-official positions (Lectors, for example). I'm not really capable of being like them
@Steven, I do know that you worry. I would like to say that as a NT person who knows many different people, you may not feel that you contribute to your church community because of what you see as "contribution", but the other members would not think this of you.

You are treated as a member, not because you are autistic, but because they see you as someone who is there for your congregation. You take part in your church.

There are always the people who enjoy volunteering their time to do extra. You know who these people are. Reach out to them and ask if there is something that you can do.

I'm assuming that they have church dinners or teas etc to raise money for the church. If you enjoy (ie not overwhelmed) serving meals or coffee or whatever, or dishwashing services, I'm sure these things would be appreciated.

Do you enjoy singing? Would you be interested in joining the choir?

All of these types of activities contribute to your church. Start with small things. I'm sure that if you let one person who you feel comfortable with know your desire to help out, they can help you step in and get your footing.

You say that everyone is aware of your difficulties. Let them help you to take more of an active role in your church. You just need someone to guide you and to step in when they realize you might be getting overwhelmed.

Start small with things that you can be successful at. You learn along the way with the successes instead of feeling that you have failed.
:group:

Back