• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
The news is also being tracked here:

http://www.isnnews.net/zocalo/jms.shtml

Although the same page has information that might be offputting to some people:

November 25, 2002
Here is a little tidbit I found interesting -- and amusing -- from the B5 moderated newsgroup:

So I was talking to Doug Netter this afternoon, who had in turn spoken with Bruce Boxleitner earlier in the day about the year 2 DVD. In the course of that conversation, Bruce mentioned something that Doug in turn mentioned to me.

To wit:

Bruce had been at the White House about a month ago, in the company of wife Melissa Gilbert, president of the Screen Actors Guild, for a discussion with some of the functionaries there concerning acting roles moving north of the Canadian border.

As they're talking, in a long conference room, in the middle of the meeting the door oens and Karl Rove -- main strategist for the Republican Party and power behind the White House throne -- comes in. He says (paraphrased from memory) to Melissa, "I hope you'll forgive me, but I actually here to see Bruce."

He then tells Bruce, "I just wanted to tell you that I'm a big science fiction fan, and that Babylon 5 is the best science fiction television series *ever*."

Then there's a pause, and he adds....

"And the President thinks so too."

Upon hearing this, I went to lie down for a spell, but I fully expect to be back on my feet by Spring, latest.

jms

Emps

As long as it's better than The Legend of the Rangers or Crusade, I'm all for it :)

Oh yes..... a convincing air of chaos, grubbiness and aproaching mechanical and electronic breakdown. Very far from the polished trek universe.

I don't know why I love it - I get this urge to lock Delen into a cupboard at least once an episode. Surely it can't just be Jeff Conaway as Zak?

Kath

re:- b5

i have to agree with emps, re:- b5

why? cos there are on going story lines which cover the many series (seasons) and not like the star trek stable where the stories are nicely wrapped up in maybe 2 episodes

apparently straczynski bought the rights of b5 back from tnt cable network. citing that they "f-cked up" in someway (this was reported in tv zone)

also in a new film/series on the walls in the background in the minbar script it susposed to say "f-ck tnt" :D

re:- the guy who played garibaldi is he a relation of bruce willis?
cos they both look very similar
or was he a stunt double in willis's films?

oh and rember guys! "the corps is mother, the corps is father" ;) :D

Jerry Doyle isn't related to BW, and B5 was his first professional acting role. He was a corporate raider from Wall Street, who made his wad and decided to blag his way into films, which he did with B5. Hes now running as a Republican senator somewhere in SW US. Having said Republican, having reead his stance, I'd vote for him...

BTW, you should read his comments about William Shatner :)

Be seeing you....*

*- Stolen from 'The Prisoner' at the suggestion of Walter Koenig... He and JMS are both fans.

Did you know that NASA now have the rights to build the 'Starfury' as long as, when its built, its called the 'StarFury'? Apparently is one of the best designs for a space hauler they've seen....

melf said:
apparently straczynski bought the rights of b5 back from tnt cable network. citing that they "f-cked up" in someway (this was reported in tv zone)

Bad workmen always blame their tools.

Straczynski is currently writing spiderman. He's also writing supreme power, he's written Midnight Nation and Rising Stars.

All his comic book work, much like B5, has peaks and troughs. When it's good it's very very good, when it's bad it's very very bad.

Nuff said.

Someone in another forum alerted me to price slashings over at Amazon:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho ... ml?t=59388

and the Babylon 5 boxsets have all been cut from around £45 (the first series) or £55 (the rest) to £29:

Series 1:
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000 ... ntmagaz-21

Series 2:

Series 3:

Series 4:

Series 5:
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002 ... ntmagaz-21

I have been putting off buying the set but at nearly half price it'd be rude not to!!!

at one time you could get the soundtracks of each episode aswell

(and guess who didnt buy a job lot? considering hmv were selling them for a 2£(?) each)

I've got to admit I used to watch B5 quite regular (read: forced to by family) but I quite liked it.

Crap anecdote:

I was in Telford one day, in a Works cheapo bookshop when I came across Dining on Babylon 5. I was flipping through it, considering whether or not to buy it as a Xmas present for my bro' or indeed keep it for myself. I was just chuckling at the photos of the *alien* food that you could make yourself at home, when a book fell from a shelf above me, clocking me on my temple. As it was the corner of the book that hit me it bloody well hurt. I blurted f*ck!! and a few other expletives as you would and then picked up the book that had hit me. It was this book and which given the first thing I had said when it hit me, I just had to buy it. So I put the B5 cookbook back on the stand where I had picked it up from.

Now, having seen the price a used Dining on Babylon 5 is going for on the Amazon.com site I'm feeling slightly green, as IIRC it was only £2.99 in the shop at the time. :(

wonder where i can get the patterns for b5 outfits?

ive looked everywhere on the net

Quixote said:
I've got to admit I used to watch B5 quite regular (read: forced to by family) but I quite liked it.

Crap anecdote:

I was in Telford one day, in a Works cheapo bookshop when I came across Dining on Babylon 5. I was flipping through it, considering whether or not to buy it as a Xmas present for my bro' or indeed keep it for myself. I was just chuckling at the photos of the *alien* food that you could make yourself at home, when a book fell from a shelf above me, clocking me on my temple. As it was the corner of the book that hit me it bloody well hurt. I blurted f*ck!! and a few other expletives as you would and then picked up the book that had hit me. It was this book and which given the first thing I had said when it hit me, I just had to buy it. So I put the B5 cookbook back on the stand where I had picked it up from.

Now, having seen the price a used Dining on Babylon 5 is going for on the Amazon.com site I'm feeling slightly green, as IIRC it was only £2.99 in the shop at the time. :(

Blimey!! Thats amazing. How did it get to be so much I wonder? Well OK supply and demand but.....

melf said:
wonder where i can get the patterns for b5 outfits?

ive looked everywhere on the net

And a mighty fine looking Vorlon you'd make! :D

Re B5: the Show used some of the BesT storylines for TV SF ever. and it positively S**t all over Star trek... But Crusader was a little embarrassing.

All power to Mr Straczynski1

It's one of my faves too, second only to the Doctor.
And I too have suffered the slings and arrows of the unbeliever.
BUt just point at Claudia Christian and they'd shut up...

Babylon 5 is my favourite sci-fi series (attended the conventions, met the stars etc.) and I've got the DVD's.
I rather liked Crusade, but there it is.

I've checked the specs and it basically has everything - all the series, 5 films (one just released on DVD) and Crusade.

While nosing around I found similar sized Star Trek boxsets that are twice the price.

There is a good sale of the series boxsets at Choices (down to £17.99 each) but while it looks initially expensive you get so much in the set it works out quite nicely.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet:

New 'Babylon 5' DVD movie confirmed

Tuesday, November 14 2006, 10:38 UTC - by James Welsh

Warner Bros. Television has confirmed that production on Babylon 5: The Lost Tales, a made-for-DVD movie written and directed by series creator J. Michael Straczynski, has commenced.

So far, DVD sales of Babylon 5 have topped $44m in the United States for Warner Home Video.

Actors from the series returning for the DVD project include Bruce Boxleitner (President John Sheridan), Tracy Scoggins (Captain Elizabeth Lochley) and Peter Woodward (Galen).

"We are very excited to be releasing this new made-for-video release filled with original content for Babylon 5, one of the most successful science fiction series of all time," said Jeff Brown, senior VP at Warner Home Video. "This popular TV show which has been off the air for a few years continues to have a strong loyal fan base that is hungry for more content. This is the first time were utilizing one of our popular TV franchises as a made-for-video title, and we have a strong commitment to the growth of this sector."

www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds39399.html

Bastard Bastard Bastard! I've just bought the super-mega-everything-you-ever-want-box-set. Then they do this.

I swear, it was exactly the same with Sharpe...

I started watching B5 again recently.
My rose-tinted spectacles must have been working overtime because the script, acting and effects are bloody awful. Does it get better as it goes on?

I'm not sure. I remember at the time, taking the piss out of it mercilessly for similar reasons when i caught a friend watching season 1, but then somehow, after that, it totally grew on me.

i've no idea what i'd make of it now if i tried to watch it again... :?

I joined it in season 2 after dismissing it for the first season, and it improves as it goes on. However, I caught up with season one when Channel 4 repeated it after the whole thing was over and wondered what had attracted me to it in the first place.

Mind you, I even watched it to the bitter end on C4, where they showed the last five episodes cut, on Christmas holiday mornings and with a huge pink and yellow clock covering the bottom right hand corner of the screen, so it must have had something to keep me enthralled.

Its TV series version of a novel concept proved quite an influential idea, though.

Return to BABYLON 5 as the epic interstellar saga continues with THE ROAD HOME. Travel across the galaxy with John Sheridan as he unexpectedly finds himself transported through multiple timelines and alternate realities in a quest to find his way back home. Along the way he reunites with some familiar faces, while discovering cosmic new revelations about the history, purpose, and meaning of the Universe.

Babylon 5 the road home, some of the animation of the characters was very bad, i wasn't sure who it was meant to be until someone said their name, and there was so much talk of the power of love i felt sick , But there are some amazing scenes, one in particular was worth the £10 i paid amazon. The shadow war was lost, like poor losers the vorlons decide they will destroy any planet with shadow influence, the earth isn't worth a bullet so a vorlon planet killer smashes the moon into the earth.

At the end susan says babylon 5 is back for business, i hope so.

Gods, I loved B5, back in the day. I even have the Psy Corps symbol as a tattoo.

But it did get shat over, being cancelled so they had to cram all the final plotlines down into the final series when JMS had anticipated giving them much more time and proper space to breathe. And I defy anyone not to get a bit teary when they turn the lights out in that final episode.

Haven't rewatched it for years, so I'm running on memory, but there were some standout episodes, I remember 'Intercessions in Real Time' and 'The Rock Cried Out...' particularly.

Back