• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Beards & Moustaches

Ewok in futuristic pirate costume?

Saw a guy a bit like that today. Well, he had a long combed-out beard and a short back & sides with the top long and standing up, with gel or whatever. There was some orange in there. Maybe he's a Dutch footy fan.

Saw a guy a bit like that today. Well, he had a long combed-out beard and a short back & sides with the top long and standing up, with gel or whatever. There was some orange in there. Maybe he's a Dutch footy fan.

I'd forgotten that photo.

In many ways it's the over-contoured mono-brow that is the most preposterous.

Did your chap have one of those?

I'd forgotten that photo.

In many ways it's the over-contoured mono-brow that is the most preposterous.

Did your chap have one of those?

Nope, the styling was more natural-looking, apart from the orange streaks. Wish I'd photographed him! He was with a group of other young men on public transport.

In case anybody's wondering, I'm currently rocking: Will Shakespeare long hair, Klingon goatee, and big 70's sideburns. It's not a look for everybody, but it works for me.

Ta.

. movember_n.jpg

I read somewhere that the popularity of the 'toothbrush' 'tache (and not just with 'err 'itler) was due to the handlebar-style moustache being fashionable amongst Prussian troops during WWI, but as this made it impossible to use a gas mask effectively the new style was invented. I've no idea is this is even remotely true, mind you.

I read somewhere that the popularity of the 'toothbrush' 'tache (and not just with 'err 'itler) was due to the handlebar-style moustache being fashionable amongst Prussian troops during WWI, but as this made it impossible to use a gas mask effectively the new style was invented. I've no idea is this is even remotely true, mind you.
Excellent question! See post 368:
What a fascinating suggestion. But I'm 90% sure it's untrue. The Gummimaske-15 and later Imperial German designs would not have been thwarted by a full-lip moustache. See this link.

But here's my 10% uncertainty.

Just suppose (accepting the inherent incompatibility between full beards and gas-masks) that it were a possibility the German High Command of the Second Reich ordered that the largest amount of facial hair permitted on the basic foot-soldiers of the Kaiser were just a Hitlerite moustache, for this reason? And consequently, Hitler continued to obey the 'dress regulation', as a badge of post-war pride?

Like post-Vietnam jar-head Marine haircuts, being a tribal marker long after that war had ended?

This Hitler 'tashe hypothesis would require evidence (ideally) of such a Dress Order having been issued by the Deutsches Kaiserreich Uberkommandant.

Or supportive photographs of other Hitleroid Heer hairy heros sporting similar mousers...

Deutsche Soldaten im 1898 (what, full moustaches, and drinking beer? Most unusual...):
640px-1898ZabernDeutschesHeerWehrpflichtige.jpg

Hmm....he appears to have worn a very-unHitlerlike moustache during WW1...if (as claimed) this actually is a picture of him in both WW1 and 1930s/WW2
images

I'm doubtful. But I could see myself being dragged-down all sorts of rabbit-holes, with just a tiny amount of digging (I'm seeing lots of anomalies in some of these purported 'Hitler' WW1 pictures....)

Anyway: it's looking like my 10% 'tash hypothicity has muchly-eroded. What say ye @Krepostnoi ? Дело отклонено ?

There are no verified contemporary depictions of Shakespeare. Even the spelling of his surname is debatable.

maximus otter
I was at school with one of his descendants. He did look a LOT like the famous depiction.

The very first school I went to, I made friends with someone who was claimed to be the grandchild of Edward Lear. Now, the timing was a little off, granted, given that the famous comic versifier was actually born in 1824, but the real improbability arises from the confirmed nature of his bachelorhood. Still, I can be forgiven for believing it at the age of five or so, I think. Especially given that my schoolmate's surname was Lear, too.

You went to school with a child with advanced male pattern baldness and facial hair?
No, but he had the head shape and facial features. He was receding a bit, now you mention it.

I find that very hard to believe...unless of course the 'average man' doesn't wash his face daily.

ps: I wash my short beard daily. :)
I do the same thing. I remember my Mum finding men with face fanny's a bit off putting, she reckoned they were probably full of food so I'm careful to keep mine clean.

Back