• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Piloton.it

Fresh Blood
Belphegor, or the Phantom of the Louvre is a 1965 French television miniseries.
At the beginning of the first episode there is a wonderful portrait of Charles Fort.
Obviously it's in the French version: the mustache and Basque are typical of the time, but there's no doubt he's him. It's a scene that has very little to do with the rest of the story, a tribute to the studious was clearly made. Instead of shoeboxes we find well-sealed cans containing newspaper clippings. Then there are also some small (insignificant but curious) coincidences that you can find on this page (right click to translate from Italian):
http://www.piloton.it/forteana/belfagor.html

In French:

But . . . missing the first episode.

Belphegor, or the Phantom of the Louvre is a 1965 French television miniseries.
At the beginning of the first episode there is a wonderful portrait of Charles Fort.
Obviously it's in the French version: the mustache and Basque are typical of the time, but there's no doubt he's him. It's a scene that has very little to do with the rest of the story, a tribute to the studious was clearly made. Instead of shoeboxes we find well-sealed cans containing newspaper clippings. Then there are also some small (insignificant but curious) coincidences that you can find on this page (right click to translate from Italian):
http://www.piloton.it/forteana/belfagor.html
Watched it a few years ago on my wife's recommendation, as it scared the proverbial out of her when she saw it as a child.
Not really scary by today's standards, but hugely atmospheric.
Also watched the 2001 movie version in France several years ago, but found it disappointing, as it relied far too much on CGI and lacked the gothic vibe of the series.

fantome.png

Pretty colors tho' . . .

There are several episodes of the original series available on Dailymotion - (see here for a selection) - including Episode One:

In French - kind of obviously.

My French is beyond rusty, but the (French) subtitles actually help. Looks pretty cool, and I like the atmosphere, so I'll be giving them a go when I have time.

There is a fabulous chase scene in a junk yard.
(The only French you'll need to enjoy that scene is the "excuse my French" type French.)

Although Belphegor is set at a later period, I can't help thinking the atmosphere is somewhat reminiscent of some of Jacques Tardi's work - something along the lines of The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec. (Later made into a movie by Luc Besson).

Bit of a review of the original graphic novel, with some pictures, here.

Back