• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Black Eyed Kids In Staffordshire

This has already been posted on our long running Black Eyed Kids thread, and I have been directed to get down there and take photos. :D

I suspect another David Mitchell sighting in the wild.
When seen from far away, he could be mistaken for a sinister Black-Eyed-Child.

Or BECs - as I have now categorised them. If it hasn't been done in the acronyms thread already.

I can see the Chase from the top of the nearest small hill - somehow, its very proximity makes the BEK stories seem less likely, rather than more so. ABCs, on the other hand - why not? Although it's smallish, the wildness of Cannock Chase, along with the large deer population, means that a large cat could probably survive there quite happily.

I remember Mr B and the middle bloopster doing a paranormal investigation at Cannock Chase, that would be around 4 years ago now - they never got saw/felt/heard anything though if I remember rightly ( must ask them and refresh my memory on that one thought to be completely sure.)

On the subject of black eyed kids......i think this is one paranormal being ( if it actually exists) that would scare me silly should I ever meet one. I have a thing about eyes at the best of times :eek::eek: I used to know a young girl who had irises that seemed to fill the whole of the eye rather than there being an even proportion of colour and white. Her eyes were the darkest brown they looked black, looked pretty freaky - nice enough girl though :)

I can see the Chase from the top of the nearest small hill - somehow, its very proximity makes the BEK stories seem less likely, rather than more so. ABCs, on the other hand - why not? Although it's smallish, the wildness of Cannock Chase, along with the large deer population, means that a large cat could probably survive there quite happily.

We went cycling/falling off there a couple of years ago. Seemed about as un-spooky as you could imagine!

We went cycling/falling off there a couple of years ago. Seemed about as un-spooky as you could imagine!

I find lots of supposedly 'haunted' places to be very unspooky, yet other areas which shouldnt give you the creeps just do.

I find lots of supposedly 'haunted' places to be very unspooky, yet other areas which shouldnt give you the creeps just do.

For sure, and I wonder if you'll be surprised to learn that we have threads on this very subject. As in 'Places that make you feel creepy' or summat.

The B.E.K myth was dispelled for me about two years ago when I chanced on a blog by a person who claimed that he himself had once been a `Black Eyed Kid`! I must see if I can find this again, but in brief his points were:

* There exists a youth subculture which emulates the look of Japanese anime comics. Very young kids (tweenies), therefore, will dress in Victorian style costume and go about in groups in this attire.

*This is quite a middle-class cult and hence its devotees often live in rural and semi-rural areas.

*Most people over the age of (say) 35 know nothing of this cultural trend.

* These kids also take amphetamine based drugs such as `cherrybombs`(?) which have the effect of dilating their pupils (hence the `black eyes`) and acting in a jittery manner.

* These same drugs are also diuretic (?) - they stimulate a desire to urinate.

*So: you get scenarios where jittery kids with dilated pupils and weird attire turn up at the homes of older people in semi-rural areas asking for access to their homes : Black Eyed Kids, in short. (The rest will be filled in with subsequent embellishment and mythologising).

This explanation does it for me - or show me where it's wrong.

Anime characters don't wear victorian clothes. Are you thinking of the "gothic lolita" thing?

Anime characters don't wear victorian clothes. Are you thinking of the "gothic lolita" thing?

Dunno. I'm just not cool enough to know anything about this. I'm only relaying information which I read about myself.

`Gothic lolita` sounds about right, but I'm also reasonably sure that there are some Anime characters that wear (what to us would look like) Victorian or Edwardian type attire - or at the very least antiquated clothing.

Dunno. I'm just not cool enough to know anything about this. I'm only relaying information which I read about myself.

`Gothic lolita` sounds about right, but I'm also reasonably sure that there are some Anime characters that wear (what to us would look like) Victorian or Edwardian type attire - or at the very least antiquated clothing.
Sailor costumes seems to be popular in anime costume plays, perhaps due to the Sailor Moon anime and school uniforms.

For sure, and I wonder if you'll be surprised to learn that we have threads on this very subject. As in 'Places that make you feel creepy' or summat.

Thanks escargot, must go mooching through that/those thread/s :)

Back