• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Body-Changing TV Commercial

Sertile

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I used to stay up and watch the animation block on Comedy Central. Several years ago (it might have been as long ago as 97 or 98) I saw a really strange late-nite commercial that has been in the back of my mind ever since.

It was an ad for this service that would transplant your mind into another person's body. It featured some crude animations of a tunnel with two bodies on either end and resembled the psychic phone scams of the time in terms of graphic design. There was also a web address that flashed across the bottom of the screen.

They used to advertise a lot of phone sex and psychics on Comedy Central and the Sci-fi channel due to lack of advertisers, especially late at night, so I didn't give it a lot of thought the first couple of times I saw it.

I probably saw it four or five times total. I finally realized just how strange it was, what I was seeing, and I memorized the web address. The next day I went into town to check it out (the internet wasn't in my area until about '99) and the website didn't exist. I couldn't find the service mentioned on any search engines, either.

The whole thing was very similar to Being John Malkovich, but I'm almost certain these ads were out long before the movie was, and I can't remember them having anything to do with one-another. Did anyone ever see one of these things?

PS: I've since forgotten the URL, of course

Could it have been a phony ad which ran only on that channel? I used to get Teletoon (cartoon channel in Canada) which had realistic-looking spots which were really just a bit of filler.

Sounds like someone was inspired by the works of John Varley. His piece "Overdrawn at the Memory Bank" deals with a man who went on holiday at a disney, where his mind was transferred into a lioness.

I think I remeber that commercial. I had forgotten about it until I read this post. It didn't really stand out in my mind so I think it was a phony commercial made by Comedy Central or a tie in to a movie.

Back