• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
It's called 'gimmick'. Sales departments don't retain their budget - or staff - unless they can 'sell' a *ahem* great idea to the senior management, to justify their wages.
Whether it succeeds or not is immaterial. The 'suits' who sit in their luxury apartments don't care, as long as their income continues*.

*Sad to say, I have personal and close experience of this attitude.
It's blatantly a gimmick but it's also not that revolutionary .. we weren't able to use robots so weren't able to do photo realistic re creations of customer's faces but we've been doing artwork and using stencils over baristas level coffees and Guinness for decades. I was hand cutting stencil designs to decorate customer's cappuccino's during Summer of last year. This new technique would be really good for large multiple business functions like the N.E.C. in Birmingham other than the fact that Guinness contains alcohol. Over coffee instead would work in that environment.

This one's a bit weird. I'm not especially a fan of the branded beer 'Desperados' because it's over priced student type stuff. The Mrs bought a few bottles for a co worker, she kept one aside for herself, cracked it open tonight then asked me why it stinks of weed/marijuana/skunk .. she's not wrong. It absolutely does nowadays. I've done a quick query search and others agree. I'm fairly sure it never used to smell like weed?.

https://faq-blog.com/why-does-desperados-smell-of-weed

This one's a bit weird. I'm not especially a fan of the branded beer 'Desperados' because it's over priced student type stuff. The Mrs bought a few bottles for a co worker, she kept one aside for herself, cracked it open tonight then asked me why it stinks of weed/marijuana/skunk .. she's not wrong. It absolutely does nowadays. I've done a quick query search and others agree. I'm fairly sure it never used to smell like weed?.

https://faq-blog.com/why-does-desperados-smell-of-weed
A certain type of hops, perhaps?

Edit: That link was flagged as dangerous by my virus checker.

it stinks of weed/marijuana/skunk

It is dosed with tequila, which is its selling-point. Horrid stuff*! Yes, I did have it once.

"Skunky" is a term used frequently in beer-crit. to describe the odour of a pint. I always assumed they meant the critter!

There are weed-dosed beers out there. Signs of the times - at one time, weed-devotees liked to point out their abstention from booze! :thought:

*The beer, that is. I like tequila, now and then.

Moosehead used to smell like, well, like there may have actually been a moose involved in its production somehow. Tasted good though, like a Canadian beer should.

It is dosed with tequila, which is its selling-point. Horrid stuff*! Yes, I did have it once.

"Skunky" is a term used frequently in beer-crit. to describe the odour. I always assumed they meant the critter!

There are weed-dosed beers out there. Signs of the times - at one time weed-devotees pointed out their aversion to booze! :thought:

*The beer, that is. I like tequila, now and then.
I know it's tequila based James but nowadays it's also got a new strong weed flavour?. Trust me and buy one. It smells like illegal skunk weed these days. I don't think it's legal to infuse Desparodos with marijuana in the UK yet?. (she says she doesn't feel stoned but she keeps burping up the flavour).

I know it's tequila based James but nowadays it's got a new strong weed flavour?. Trust me and buy one. It smells like illegal skunk weed these days. I don't think it's legal to infuse Desparodos with marijuana in the UK yet?.
Is it possible that the staff smoke the stuff (allegedly)?

Is it possible that the staff smoke the stuff (allegedly)?
It's almost a certainty that some of her staff smoke spliffs but this is 2023 (for another few hours) so no, most of those lot do coke instead and anyway the bottle she bought was from a supermarket and she's just opened that at home. It pongs of weed.

I don't think it's legal to infuse Desparodos with marijuana in the UK yet?

Several UK brews are on the market with Mary Jane flavouring already. They can't, legally, contain the THC thing.

I'm no fan of the taste or the effect it has on me! :meh:

Any one remember Boston beer I think and I'm not talking Samuel Adams....sure it was short lived and was a dark beer.

Hops and marijuana are from the same family, Cannabinaceae

I have often wondered about this: hop-pillows are certainly a thing, though I have never had one.

I have gone through several periods of abstaining from beer - it's the wheat and barley thing - but I would sometimes return to it with a renewed uplift, wondering if the hops give it a psycho-active advantage over wines and ciders.

True, I would be most tempted to relapse, when there was the promise of a bright, fresh pint. :beer:

Hops and marijuana are from the same family, Cannabinaceae...does that mean that you could graft a hops plant onto a cannabis rootstock and have 30 feet of psychotropic vine?
You've got some farm land over there, haven't you? ;)

Several UK brews are on the market with Mary Jane flavouring already. They can't, legally, contain the THC thing.
Like the 'marijuana' flavoured incense sticks?
Teens grinding down those to make 'spliffs' really, really didn't work. Placebo effect in the working.

Back