• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Britain: Police State?

jimv1 said:
The Daily Mail aren't enlisting the children of Primary Schools to dig out the indescretions of the neighbours...as far as I know. I imagine there'd be some sort of kerfuffle if Blue Peter started a 'Shop Your Parents Hotline' (ask them first for permission to use the phone though).

Junior Street Champions. EEEeeuuuuurrrrrrrrgh!
Mind you. That's how the Pope got where he is today.

I'll start worrying when Blue Peter suggest making a periscope out of old corn flakes packets and tin foil, or a parabolic microphone out of an old frisbee

State 'spying on Heathrow critics' as dossiers compiled of legitimate objectors to third runway are handed to police
By Ian Drury
Last updated at 9:54 AM on 25th May 2009

Civil servants are compiling dossiers on opponents of Heathrow Airport expansion and handing them over to police, it emerged yesterday.

Communications staff at the Department for Transport are gathering data on legitimate objectors to the £9billion third runway and offering the information to Scotland Yard.

Last night, Liberal Democrat transport spokesman Norman Baker warned that the activities of the DfT's supposedly non-partisan civil servants were another step towards a 'Stasi-like police state'.

DfT officials monitored anyone speaking out against the planned third runway during the run-up to January's narrow Commons approval of the scheme.

Potentially the names of tens of thousands of innocent people from websites, press releases, news articles and public consultations were trawled over by bureaucrats, who then briefed detectives.

Critics suggest that even those who write letters to the DfT expressing concerns about the third runway will be checked out and the police notified.

The existence of the 'communications directorate' charged with monitoring opposition to a third runway was revealed in a written Parliamentary answer from Transport Secretary Geoff Hoon.

Mr Hoon said his officials sought to 'understand the views' of those 'with an interest in transport policy'.

But he admitted that information was being passed to police in the run-up to protests to ensure public safety.

He said: 'It is entirely appropriate that the department discussed safety arrangements with the relevant police forces.'

Mr Baker said: 'This is entirely inappropriate and suggests we have a secret state carrying out dubious anti-democratic activities within the DfT.

'They appear to be collecting information on people expressing genuine concerns about the third runway and passing it on to the police.

'They are spying for the police. It is like a Stasi-style police state.

'If you write a letter exercising your democratic right to make your views known on Heathrow you risk ending up on a database of potential troublemakers. It is scandalous.

'The fact that the monitoring was being undertaken by a communications and public relations team, rather than by the police or security service officials, strongly suggests the Government's real concerns about protests are political and nothing to do with national security or public order.'

Mr Baker said the communications directorate - better known as the press office - was being used to undermine protesters rather than to engage in a genuine debate with campaigners and local residents.

Plans to expand Britain's biggest airport have met fierce opposition from environmentalists, residents and many MPs, who claim it will bring misery and ill-health to millions through noise and pollution.

Michael Parker, of the NO2ID civil liberties group, said: 'For the DfT to pass to the police details of anyone with views contrary to the State as "potential troublemakers" is not only unlikely to encourage greater civic participation - it is outrageous, practically slanderous.'

Leila Deen, of anti-Heathrow expansion campaign group Plane Stupid, said: 'We've know for a long time that Geoff Hoon and the DfT are in league with [airport operator] BAA but the fact that they've been spending public money spying on us is seriously sinister.' :evil:

A DfT spokesman said: 'In light of the high-profile opposition to the proposed expansion, the police were notified of where and when Heathrow public exhibitions would be held and the Department made sure it kept abreast of information published on protest groups' websites and coverage in the media to see if any direct action was planned at these events.

'The information gathered was readily available in the public domain, and simply used to alert staff and the police to any disruption that was anticipated at these public events.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... olice.html

Ginando said:
I'll start worrying when Blue Peter suggest making a periscope out of old corn flakes packets and tin foil, or a parabolic microphone out of an old frisbee

There again...maybe the kids won't fall for it. Here's my nomination for 'Young Street Champions'...

LOUGHTON: Pupils walk out of lessons in protest against Big Brother cameras
4:42pm Monday 18th May 2009

Comments (11) Have your say »

By James Colasanti »

PUPILS walked out of classrooms in protest against Big Brother-styled CCTV cameras recording their lessons.

They were so angry with the installation of the equipment at Davenant Foundation School in Chester Road, Loughton, they refused to return until they received assurances it had been turned off.

It meant they missed three weeks of studies and led to the drafting of a petition signed by about 150 of their peers.

And when they did return to the classroom they all wore masks to continue their protest.

The school, an accredited teacher training centre, said the equipment has been installed in two classrooms to capture footage showing examples of best practice in the profession, and would not be used without pupils' knowledge.

The issue has now been reported to UK privacy watchdog, the Information Commissioner's Office (IOC), which is due to clarify the guidelines by the end of the month.

There seems to be accusations of this being blown out of proportion but there's a comment from someone who claims to be among the pupils.

As a pupil involved in the walkout I would like to voice the reality. The initial walkout consisted of all but one member of the class, after which approximately half returned because they felt they couldn't miss the lessons. The rest of us, concerned for our education collected work for the period of our protest and worked through private study. The response and explanation received from Mr. Seward was weak to say the least, effectively dodging the key issues and leaving great doubt over the school's reason for implementing the cameras on the basis of presumed consent. Our first full return to the classroom consisted of many class members wearing scarves across their faces, with one pupil choosing a V for Vendetta mask and another a set of false glasses and fake moustache. Distrust from pupils has continued as some of the equipment was found on, though not recording, in the classroom. Ultimately we as a group question the way the school introduced these cameras without consultation of pupils and parents, without laying out the guidelines for their use, without acknowledging the legal issues surrounding their use, and their validity as a resource - as if students are more likely to behave naturally under the watchful eyes of four black-domed cameras and a microphone sensitive enough to pick up anything said in the room, than if a teacher sat at the back of the room to watch the lesson. On this basis we not only oppose their impact on the civil liberties of the students, but also the expense that might could have been far better applied to other areas in the school.

The irony is that the kids in this school are supposed to be achievers and doing well.

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/4 ... r_cameras/

Firstly, it'd have been cool for them all to wear "V" masks.

Secondly, that statement is incredibly cogitant and highly literate for a school's pupil. I'd say that the school should take credit if it turns out pupils who are so expressive, intelligent, organised and so damn witty.

It's like a non-violent version of "If"!

I'm not arguing for the use of cameras in schools per se, but as someone who knows an ex-teacher who was falsely accused of hitting a pupil, the cameras may have a useful purpose - protecting the teachers from unfounded accusations.

My friend very nearly lost his job after he tried to remove an unruly pupil from class. The pupil complained to his parents, claiming that he had been punched. Unfortunately the head seemed to believe the pupil's version of events, and assumed guilt on the part of my friend. My friend and the head had a history of personality clashes with each other, so it appears that the head was just looking for an excuse to get him sacked.
My friend was able to produce witnesses and argue his case cogently, and he narrowly avoided losing his job.

If the class had been captured on video, the truth of the situation would have become clear immediately, and the pupil would have been sent packing.

Camera grid to log number plates
By Richard Bilton
Special correspondent, BBC News

A national network of cameras and computers automatically logging car number plates will be in place within months, the BBC has learned.

Thousands of Automatic Number Plate Recognition cameras are already operating on Britain's roads.

Police forces across England, Wales and Scotland will soon be able to share the information on one central computer.

Officers say it is a useful tool in fighting crime, but critics say the network is secretive and unregulated.

Kent's Chief Constable, Michael Fuller, commented: "We've seen an increase of some 40% of arrests since we've been using this technology.

"I'm very confident that we're using it properly and responsibly, and that innocent people have nothing to fear from the way we use it."

A number of local councils are signing up their Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) systems to the ANPR network. As long as the cameras are technically good enough, they can be adapted to take the software.

In towns such as Bradford, Portsmouth and Luton that means greater coverage for the police and more journeys captured and recorded.

John Dean, who is co-ordinating the ANPR network for the Association of Chief Police Officers, said: "It's the finest intelligence-led policing tool we've got.

"It covers so many different areas from crime reduction, crime detection to road safety and everything in between."

Marked car

But not everyone thinks it is such a good thing.

John Catt found himself on the wrong side of the ANPR system. He regularly attends anti-war demonstrations outside a factory in Brighton, his home town.

It was at one of these protests that Sussex police put a "marker" on his car. That meant he was added to a "hotlist".
This is a system meant for criminals but John Catt has not been convicted of anything and on a trip to London, the pensioner found himself pulled over by an anti-terror unit.

"I was threatened under the Terrorist Act. I had to answer every question they put to me, and if there were any questions I would refuse to answer, I would be arrested. I thought to myself, what kind of world are we living in?"

Sussex police would not talk about the case.

The police say they do not know how many cameras there are in total, and they say that for operational reasons they will not say where the fixed cameras are positioned.

'Limited resources'

Information Commissioner Richard Thomas, whose job it is to protect personal data, has concerns about the lack of regulation.

He said: "There's very little monitoring. I mean, my office has very limited powers.

"We have very limited resources. We are not actively monitoring that area. You're right to ask the question. No one's checking it at the moment"

The BBC TV series Who's Watching You? asked the Home Secretary, Jacqui Smith, to comment on the Commissioner's views.

"It's something that we will look at further legislation about where necessary," she said.

"I don't think we should lose sight of the very considerable benefits that this technology also brings us, brings law enforcement."

Recent research by Huddersfield University found that the public seemed to share that view. The study took place in Leeds as the ANPR system was being introduced. The vast majority supported the cameras if they caught law breakers, with only a few mentioning concerns about police surveillance.

The police themselves say they have nothing to hide and would welcome the introduction of a regulatory code. But that seems some way off - and for now this secretive system continues to watch us and continues to grow.

BBC Two's Who's Watching You will begin on Monday, 25 May, 2009 at 2100 BST on BBC Two.

Who's Watching You?

UK 'must log' phone and web use

All internet and phone traffic should be recorded to help the fight against terrorism, according to one of the UK's former spy chiefs.

Civil rights campaigners have criticised ministers' plans to log details of such contact as "Orwellian".

But Sir David Pepper, who ran the GCHQ listening centre for five years, told the BBC lives would be at risk if the state could not track communication.

Agencies faced "enormous pressure" to keep up with technology, he said.

"It's a constant arms race, if you like. As more technology, different technology becomes available, the balance will shift constantly."

The work of GCHQ, which provides intelligence on foreign and domestic threats, is so secretive that until the 1980s the government refused to discuss its existence.

In his first interview since departing as its director in 2008, Sir David told BBC2 programme Who's Watching You that the agency had "very sophisticated targets".

"There are plenty of people who will do all they can to make themselves difficult to find.

"It puts enormous pressure on you. Everybody in the agency is acutely aware that if they don't do their job properly one of the consequences may be another terrorist outrage.

"The thing you worry about most is the attack that you haven't seen coming."

Last year, then Home Secretary Jacqui Smith announced plans for a database to record details of the times and dates of messages and phone calls but said the content of conversations would not be kept.

She said such data was used as "important evidence in 95% of serious crime cases" and in almost all security service operations.

Details of the times, dates, duration and locations of mobile phone calls, numbers called, website visited and addresses e-mailed are already stored by telecoms companies for 12 months under a voluntary agreement.

However, the Liberal Democrats said the government's plans were "incompatible with a free country and a free people".

In February, the Lords constitution committee said electronic surveillance and collection of personal data had become "pervasive" in British society.

Its members said the situation threatened to undermine democracy.

However, Sir David said he was speaking out to help people understand that agencies were there to protect them.

Who's Watching You? will be broadcast Monday 8 June at 9pm on BBC Two and will also be available on BBC iPlayer .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8087530.stm

Yesterday we went to the Strawberry fair in Cambridge. The first thing we noticed were the signs at our station that drinking alcohol on the trains is prohibited. My husband wondered if it was just for today or forever as it didn't say. Next, some people obviously managed to cheat somehow and were drinking on the train, everyone was really happy and relaxed, there was no nasty atmos.
Then when we got off the train in Cambs, we were herded out of a side exit, everyone, tourists, people coming from work etc, we had to queue and watched as more than 20 police officers herded suspicious looking people to a tent were they were searched. A drug dog was implied and guess what, some people had cannabis on them [what a surprise]. Others had their alcohol taken or got lectured about it [!]. All the while we had to join the long wait. Nowhere did it say [for tourists for example] that there is a festival and that they are sorry for any inconvenience [cause they weren't]. I was fuming as we had nothing on us and just wanted to get to the bloody festival.
When we got to the front, a moany officer "moved us on" with a gesture that I didn't find quite appropriate for someone who hasn't done anything but disembarked a train. We felt like cattle...guilty cattle.
When we were through we wondered what the fuck that was all about.
It wasn't to keep us safe from terrorists because only hippies were stopped. So it could have been to stop people from using/selling drugs...nope because most people there came from Cambridge or used cars and there were plenty of "dodgy's" about selling/ smoking openly, so that didn't work out.
The only thing we could come up with was that it was a great opportunities to score a few "arrests" or "stops" for free.

However I thought that the whole thing was utterly unnecessary, rude and an infringement of my [all train users] freedom. No apologies, just herding and picking. It made me sick and angry.
:furious:

Dingo667 said:
Yesterday we went to the Strawberry fair in Cambridge. The first thing we noticed were the signs at our station that drinking alcohol on the trains is prohibited. My husband wondered if it was just for today or forever as it didn't say. Next, some people obviously managed to cheat somehow and were drinking on the train, everyone was really happy and relaxed, there was no nasty atmos.
Then when we got off the train in Cambs, we were herded out of a side exit, everyone, tourists, people coming from work etc, we had to queue and watched as more than 20 police officers herded suspicious looking people to a tent were they were searched. A drug dog was implied and guess what, some people had cannabis on them [what a surprise]. Others had their alcohol taken or got lectured about it [!]. All the while we had to join the long wait. Nowhere did it say [for tourists for example] that there is a festival and that they are sorry for any inconvenience [cause they weren't]. I was fuming as we had nothing on us and just wanted to get to the bloody festival.
When we got to the front, a moany officer "moved us on" with a gesture that I didn't find quite appropriate for someone who hasn't done anything but disembarked a train. We felt like cattle...guilty cattle.
When we were through we wondered what the fuck that was all about.
It wasn't to keep us safe from terrorists because only hippies were stopped. So it could have been to stop people from using/selling drugs...nope because most people there came from Cambridge or used cars and there were plenty of "dodgy's" about selling/ smoking openly, so that didn't work out.
The only thing we could come up with was that it was a great opportunities to score a few "arrests" or "stops" for free.

However I thought that the whole thing was utterly unnecessary, rude and an infringement of my [all train users] freedom. No apologies, just herding and picking. It made me sick and angry.
:furious:

Assuming this story is accurate, and I am not suggesting the poster is gilding the lily regarding this incident, it would be interesting to see what will happen to those found with drugs as in my (on this occasion) well informed opinion, such stop and search tactics sounds illegal. The reason I say this is that a search under the Misuse of Drugs Act should be done on the basis that there is reliable information to say someone has drugs on them, or that the officers have reasonable cause to suspect they are in possession of drugs. The former is pretty obvious, i.e. info from Crimestoppers/snouts/surveillance etc, while the latter should be based on observation, slurred speech, smell on clothing, torn Rizla packets, big joint tucked behind ear etc. Being dressed like a hippy isn't reasonable grounds. Neither is the fact that said hippies may well be going to the 'Bob Marley Ganja is great festival'. That still isn't reasonable grounds to suspect. The fact that they singled out groups of people means this was a 'fishing' operation. The dog is used obviously to assist in the search, but adds the fear factor for those who have drugs concealed on or in their person. However, if something is found, then in court a good defence agent should be asking why their client was singled out to be searched, under what authority or act or order were people forced to go into the tent (because being forced into some place which you don't necessarily want to go is technically an arrest or a limited form of detention, so did those searched have their rights read? were they cautioned? Furthermore, if I were an innocent party and, for example I missed a connecting bus/train/flight because I had been subjected to random searching, I'd be asking under what grounds or under whose authority I was searched and if not satisfied demand a full explanation plus compensation if appropriate.

Now some may ask why on earth I would be standing up for people, some of whom may well have drugs such as heroin or ecstacy, or whatever on them. However I most assuredly am not. The problem with this type of operation is that while it is entirely right and proper to target drug dealers, Police bosses also set up these schemes to ensure their force meets government targets for stop and search or drugs seizures. They then issue instructions saying do this and do that, thereby forcing young cops to do searches illegally. I again say illegally, because if you don't have reasonable cause to suspect, then how can the search be lawful? It means the cop has to embelish their evidence or downright lie to make sure the courts will think they did have reasonable grounds, when the truth is, they simply rounded up a group of 60's throwbacks and subjected them to a random search. However, when the sh.t hits the fan, the Chief Constable or Chief Super won't be in the dock, it'll be the young cop who did the search and furthermore, the dealer will still get off because the whole thing was illegal.

Please don't waste time with saying the cops shouldn't take illegal orders etc etc. Cops/soldiers/customs or whoever take orders from bosses in good faith and do as they are told otherwise they will be on the dole. Thats the way the world works, and probably always will do.
:imo:

I was going to make a point on the set up of the Survellance State in the light of progress by the BNP but saw this which is a worrying view that we really are all just 'potential criminals' in the eyes of the Police.

Police 'arrest innocent youths for their DNA', officer claims
Hundreds of teenagers are having their DNA taken by police in case they commit crimes later in life, an officer has disclosed.

Officers are targeting children as young as 10 with the aim of placing their DNA profiles on the national database to improve their chances of solving crimes, it is claimed.

The alleged practice is also described as part of a "long-term crime prevention strategy" to dissuade youths from committing offences in the future.

The claim comes amid widespread criticism of government proposals to store DNA profiles of innocent people, including some children, on the database for up to 12 years.

Civil liberty campaigners have condemned the tactic of as "diabolical" and said it showed contempt for children's freedom.

A Metropolitan Police officer made the claims after figures were released showing that 386 under-18s had their DNA taken and stored by police last year in Camden, north London.

The officer said: "Have we got targets for young people who have not been arrested yet? The answer is yes. But we are not just waiting outside schools to pick them up, we are acting on intelligence.

"It is part of a long-term crime prevention strategy. If you know you have had your DNA taken and it is on a database then you will think twice about committing burglary for a living.

"We are often told that we have just one chance to get that DNA sample and if we miss it then that might mean a rape or a murder goes unsolved in the future."

Last month the Home Office drew up plans to amend the DNA database after the European Court of Human Rights ruled that a blanket policy of retaining profiles of innocent people indefinitely was illegal

Full thing here..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... laims.html

Dingo667 said:
Here on this thread is the same detail about the Police in Cambs from someone else's eyes. Interesting to see.

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/inde ... pic=112998

Not sure why the people on this forum are upset about the Police charging to Police the event. One says its a core function, but it isn't. The reason being that this is a commercial venture whereby someone makes a shedload of money, therefore the Police are entitled to charge for their services. The same thing happened up here in the wilds of Scotland when there was an event called the Solstice Event in Moray. As the numbers grew year in year out, the numbers of Police required increased, so eventually a charge was imposed on the organisers if they wanted the Police. They declined, but the consequence was the council refused to issue a licence for the event so it died a death. These days, it's even permissible for the Police to charge for Policing elections such as the most recent euro/council elections, although I understand they didn't.

Dingo667 said:
Here on this thread is the same detail about the Police in Cambs from someone else's eyes. Interesting to see.

cambridge is a funny town, it has a police force which is known as being the most corrupt in western europe it has a horrendous cocaine problem, I could name names of prominant local business people who regularly end up in hospital through cocaine overdoses, and it has a large population of very very odd students most of whom appear to be boarder line psycotic.

It's this sort of thing, which has been happening around the Strawberry Fair, more in recent years that's pissing off some Cambridge residents and the police.

Cambridge News
Youth drives off in a bus
[email protected]

A REVELLER locked a driver out of his bus before crashing it into bollards at Cambridge bus station.

Videos posted on website YouTube show a large crowd of people, who had attended Strawberry Fair on Saturday night, watch the youth shut the Stagecoach driver out of the vehicle, before reversing it into the bollards.

One clip appears to show the exasperated driver head off to find police, only for the youth to get back into the bus and start the engine, to cheers from the crowd.

The culprit had fled the scene by the time officers arrived, to be greeted by the jeers of the assembled crowd. Andy Campbell, managing director of Stagecoach in Cambridgeshire, described the youth's actions as "sheer stupidity"
* and warned the incident could have been much worse if pedestrians had been injured.

The creator of one video wrote: "It's ******* like this who are going to get Strawberry Fair cancelled."

Mr Campbell, who confirmed the bus from its Huntingdon depot had not been damaged, said: "With that many people milling around the area, it could have been a serious incident.

It was obviously somebody incapable of driving a vehicle of that size. I hope the police find the person responsible.

"I feel it should go further than dealing with the culprit who tried to drive the bus. There were a number of people encouraging this."

Justin Argent, Strawberry Fair chairman, said:

"Any link with the fair is circumstantial - it could have happened at any time.

This wasn't anything to do with us and it didn't happen on the site."

A Cambridgeshire police spokeswoman confirmed officers were examining the videos for evidence after being made aware of them by the News.

She said: "Police were called at 10.16pm to reports of a man reversing a bus into bollards at Drummer Street, Cambridge. Police attended at 10.20pm and there was no reported damage to the bus and no complaint was made.

"The matter is being investigated and the footage is being examined by officers

KarlD said:
Dingo667 said:

cambridge is a funny town, it has a police force which is known as being the most corrupt in western europe it has a horrendous cocaine problem, I could name names of prominant local business people who regularly end up in hospital through cocaine overdoses, and it has a large population of very very odd students most of whom appear to be boarder line psycotic.

Really? Re the police, that's totally new to me, I had no idea.
They do have a lot of trouble with drug dealers, it's true.

I guess this puts the kibosh on us keeping our dna to ourselves.

EU security proposals are 'dangerously authoritarian'

The European Union is stepping up efforts to build an enhanced pan-European system of security and surveillance which critics have described as “dangerously authoritarian”.

By Bruno Waterfield in Brussels
Published: 4:32PM BST 10 Jun 2009

Civil liberties groups say the proposals would create an EU ID card register, internet surveillance systems, satellite surveillance, automated exit-entry border systems operated by machines reading biometrics and risk profiling systems.

Europe's justice ministers will hold talks on the "domestic security policy" and surveillance network proposals, known in Brussels circles as the "Stockholm programme", on July 15 with the aim of finishing work on the EU's first ever internal security policy by the end of 2009.
Jacques Barrot, the European justice and security commissioner, yesterday publicly declared that the aim was to "develop a domestic security strategy for the EU", once regarded as a strictly national "home affairs" area of policy.

"National frontiers should no longer restrict our activities," he said.

Mark Francois, Conservative spokesman on Europe, has demanded "immediate clarity on where the government stands on this".

"These are potentially dangerous proposals which could interfere in Britain's internal security," he said.

"The chaos and division in Gordon Brown's government is crippling Britain's ability to make its voice heard in Europe."
Critics of the plans have claimed that moves to create a new "information system architecture" of Europe-wide police and security databases will create a "surveillance state".

Tony Bunyan, of the European Civil Liberties Network (ECLN), has warned that EU security officials are seeking to harness a "digital tsunami" of new information technology without asking "political and moral questions first".

"An increasingly sophisticated internal and external security apparatus is developing under the auspices of the EU," he said.

Mr Bunyan has suggested that existing and new proposals will create an EU ID card register, internet surveillance systems, satellite surveillance, automated exit-entry border systems operated by machines reading biometrics and risk profiling systems.

"In five or 10 years time when we have the surveillance and database state people will look back and ask, 'what were you doing in 2009 to stop this happening?'," he said.

Civil liberties groups are particularly concerned over "convergence" proposals to herald standardise European police surveillance techniques and to create "tool-pools" of common data gathering systems to be operated at the EU level.

Under the plans the scope of information available to law enforcement agencies and "public security organisations" would be extended from the sharing of existing DNA and fingerprint databases, kept and stored for new digital generation ID cards, to include CCTV video footage and material gathered from internet surveillance.

The Lisbon Treaty, currently stalled after Ireland's referendum rejection last year, creates a secretive new Standing Committee for Internal Security, known as COSI, to co-ordinate policy between national forces and EU organisations such as Europol, the Frontex borders agency, the European Gendarmerie Force and the Brussels intelligence sharing Joint Situation Centre or Sitcen.

EU officials have told The Daily Telegraph that the radical plans will be controversial and will need powers contained within the Lisbon Treaty, currently awaiting a second Irish vote this autumn.

"The British and some others will not like it as it moves policy to the EU," said an official. "Some of things we want to do will only be realistic with the Lisbon Treaty in place, so we need that too."

The Telegraph

Techy went for a passport interview recently. He was expecting to be fingerprinted, which he's inclined to believe is the real point of the interview, but apparently that office is new and hasn't the equipment yet so that wasn't done.

He was asked a load of questions - where his parents were born, how long has he lived at his current address, etc. Fair enough, but then some were about me - which bank does your wife use? Who else has access to that account? (ie, is it a joint account?)

I'm assuming this information was found when they looked at our mortgage account, through a credit check. Bit creepy though.

Not sure where this should go, but I wanted to get some opinions on some draconian official behaviour that I witnessed recently on a train.

I was on a Southern train coming out of London. Some of the Southern carriages have a small section (about 12 seats or so) of First Class as you enter the door of the carriage. The rest of the carriage is entirely normal class. A woman and a man (not together as far as I could tell) got on and sat in the small First Class section. After a while, what looked like the ticket inspector (white shirt, black sleeveless type top) came through accompanied by another man who had a dark jacket with a company logo on the back (alas I failed to register what it said). They immediately started hassling the two passengers, who clearly didn't have first class tickets. I kept wondering why the passengers didn't just move, but then realised that the men were preventing the passengers from moving to a non-First Class seat (a matter of a few feet), blocking the passengers in and demanding that they pay the extra fee/fine. The male passenger paid, but the female passenger was making a fuss (quite rightly) which alerted my attention to it. I'm not sure if she paid or not in the end, but she was clearly very p*ssed off.

After this encounter was over, the men came through to where I was sitting, but didn't check ANYONE's tickets in the normal section. They went straight on down the train, presumably to the next First Class compartment to catch someone else out. This kind of behaviour sounds fishy to me. And deliberately blocking people in to the First Class section, whether they are trying it on or not (which I don't think these two were) is disgusting behaviour.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Call me fussy but when we once had first class tickets [a present, which would have costed £590], we really didn't want any peasants sitting in there for free. So when the ticket people came and chucked them out, I was very very pleased. 1st class is a treat and some eejits think they can just have it for nothing. So in this case I agree with the inspectors. There!
8)

Dingo667 said:
Call me fussy but when we once had first class tickets [a present, which would have costed £590], we really didn't want any peasants sitting in there for free. So when the ticket people came and chucked them out, I was very very pleased. 1st class is a treat and some eejits think they can just have it for nothing. So in this case I agree with the inspectors. There!
8)
But the point is that they didn't chuck them out of the First Class section - they made every effort to keep them in the First Class section, blocking them and standing over them - and then demanded money off them for being in it. If they'd said "Bugger off to another seat" I'm sure the passengers would have done so, but they didn't.

Whether you consider them to be "peasants" or not (??), it's pretty fishy behaviour I think.

Zoffre may have a point. They may be fake ticket inspectors.

Mythopoeika said:
Zoffre may have a point. They may be fake ticket inspectors.

Now I didn't think of that, but that's a completely different thing and should go under frauds.
I still believe people who sneak into 1st class should be made to pay, its so expensive and so unfair to those that have paid. There is a reason why it is called 1st class, so you don't have to put up with chavs or single mums and screaming babies.
Now I agree that they didn't have the right to keep them in there but as I grew up in Germany I have to say, when people got caught on our trains without a ticket and refused to show ID, they were allowed to call the police who were then greeting them at the next stop, to the delight of all that did pay.

Ermmmmm, don't wish to start an argument but as a single mother why am I being lumped in with chavs?

There is a reason why it is called 1st class, so you don't have to put up with chavs or single mums and screaming babies.
And we all know that posh babies never cry. :roll:

I can understand anyone being pissed off if they have paid and someone else is trying to get into First Class without paying, but if the train was choc-a-bloc everywhere else, then fair play to them for finding a seat.

When the next big train crash occurs, and it will, sooner or later, I feel pretty sure that there will be plenty of casualties caused by all the people who haven't got a seat standing in the aisles. On that day, I sincerely hope that the tossers who run the rail company get banged up for a long time.

Personally, on the odd occasion I have to use a train, it pisses me off seriously if I have to sit on my bag in the aisle, and yet I get threatened with being turfed off by some half-wit ticket collector if I won't let him, or anyone else pass. Sod 'em, if I have to sit in the aisle, then that's where I'll stay. Provide me with a seat, you know rush hour trains are always rammed, put more carriages or trains on.

A great help for the belligerent traveller is the whiff of alcohol on one's breath, nothing makes officious tossers more wary of harassing you, especially if you are a grizzly nasty-looking dog like me, they really don't want a chinning, which is exactly what anyone accosting me in First Class would have got.

Layla said:
Ermmmmm, don't wish to start an argument but as a single mother why am I being lumped in with chavs?

everyone knows exactly who I mean by THE single mum, or at least I hoped that I didn't have to describe in detail what I meant. Have to be careful nowadays. And posh children may cry but you'd hope that the mum or guardian or guardians may try and sort it out rather than ignore it whilst on the mobile :roll:

Back in the day the old national conditions of carriage used to state explicitly that a standard class ticket holder could sit in first class if:

- there were no seats in standard class; and
- there were no first class ticket holders who required that seat.

This seemed an eminently sensible arrangement to me. I suspect it has fallen by the wayside with privatisation.

Dingo667 said:
Layla said:

everyone knows exactly who I mean by THE single mum, or at least I hoped that I didn't have to describe in detail what I meant. Have to be careful nowadays. And posh children may cry but you'd hope that the mum or guardian or guardians may try and sort it out rather than ignore it whilst on the mobile :roll:

Can you tell me why you assume that these women are single mums, they may have a partner at home. Is the absence of a ring a sure sign that they are single? Or are you assuming they are single by a certain mode of dress or certain child care style, or their age? or their bahaviour while sat in first class carriages? Or are you going by the media assumption that if a child is badly behaved or neglected that the mother is automatically single?

Unfortunately 'single mum' has become short hand for lazy, benefit scounging and anti social. 'Chav' is a pejorative term while I believe 'single mum' is not.

Yup. When I officially became a 'single mum', I had a son about to start at Oxford. :lol:

Well...

I work as an electronics engineer developing these types of ANPR cameras

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_ ... ecognition

which are used for things like congestion charging, motorway traffic flow monitoring and the police use them for catching untaxed and uninsurerd drivers.

The police/security services do use them for looking for vehicle movements involved in major crimes and terrorist type activities.
Anyway there was a case recently of a woman who went to an anti-war demo last year and the police put her registration details on a watch list witht the result that she got stopped about 20 times a week so she complained to the police complaints people which got her nowhere. this drove her a bit nuts and she started phoning our offices and leaving death threats on the answerphone and that eventualy got her arrested.
So the police do abuse their powers on a regular basis mainly because they know they can get away with it.At the same time we do get threatened by nutters who believe that we make speed cameras and that they should be allowed to speed if they want.

Back