• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bronze Age Discoveries & Findings

I can only think that they were used for (say) shooting fish - even really thick freshwater mussel shells are pretty friable.
I certainly do understand why they are said to be arrow heads, but what made me a bit curious about them is that the mussel has, as we see, the centre part missing which made me think that it may have at one time had a hole made in the mussel shell which would explain why the centre has rotted away.
The thinner
needle-like one could easily be used as a needle for sewing things together by a loop of thread of some sort being placed into the split pointy end and pushed through without any need for an eye at the other end - that's what made me think that they were 'needle-like.'
Not only that but if the accompanying threads in the photo are the threads which tied them to the hafts, they do seem a bit too light, almost hair-like for such a task.

Last edited:
If the mussel shell hit water, the spoon shape would deflect the arrows trajectory, so I don't know about shooting fish - I wonder if the mussel shell tip was an idea by someone respected, for the youth to use as a practice arrow head...which died out after 5 or 6 generations.

After all, a knapped arrow head wouldn't last long in amateur hands.

The Nootkas used mussel shells for harpoon ponts - search this pdf for mussel:
https://www.researchgate.net/profil...ca-in-the-Museum-fuer-Voelkerkunde-Vienna.pdf
1677434601664.png

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...ca-in-the-Museum-fuer-Voelkerkunde-Vienna.pdf
View attachment 63830
I can see now why it is classed as an arrowhead - as I thought each item (as has been depicted) was an individual piece not parts of the same object. Wonder if the shell was actually cemented with something into the holder as this might have rotted away the part of the shell and would explain the why the elongated hole was shown as being formed in the shell?

Last edited:
View attachment 63830
Yet in the link given by Max it says;

''Professor Lars Pilø, an archaeologist in Innlandet County Municipality , described the find as “breaking news.” He said the “unique arrowheads” were crafted from mussel shells, representing a technology that was “completely unknown in Norway before the melting started, and they have not been found anywhere else in the world.”

I can only think that they were used for (say) shooting fish - even really thick freshwater mussel shells are pretty friable.
Maybe they weren't used as 'arrows' as such, but more as a lightweight hand spear to target visible fish, etc? Therefore, only subjected to light use as a tool rather than as an 'arrow' used with a bow?
I also notice, that in. . . https://www.ancient-origins.net/news-history-archaeology/mussel-shell-arrowhead-0017963, that they have other examples of similar things, but with an attached length of chord/sinew, without a length of shaft. Wondering how they might have used that type also?
Maybe they had a method of attaching the 'mussel arrowhead' to a pole so that when anything was speared, it would automatically release itself free from the hand pole?
I also wonder if they might have found a way of flattening out a mussel shell making it more arrow-point-like with sharpened edges - maybe it even had hand-cut barbs before it deteriorated?

Last edited:
Another Mesopotamian discovery.

A ground-penetrating eye in the sky has helped to rehydrate an ancient southern Mesopotamian city, tagging it as what amounted to a Venice of the Fertile Crescent. Identifying the watery nature of this early metropolis has important implications for how urban life flourished nearly 5,000 years ago between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers, where modern-day Iraq lies.

Remote-sensing data, mostly gathered by a specially equipped drone, indicate that a vast urban settlement called Lagash largely consisted of four marsh islands connected by waterways, says anthropological archaeologist Emily Hammer of the University of Pennsylvania. These findings add crucial details to an emerging view that southern Mesopotamian cities did not, as traditionally thought, expand outward from temple and administrative districts into irrigated farmlands that were encircled by a single city wall, Hammer reports in the December Journal of Anthropological Archaeology. ...

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/mesopotamia-city-marsh-islands-drone-lagash-iraq
An old eating house found in Lagash.

An international archaeological mission has uncovered the remnants of what is believed to be a 5,000-year-old restaurant or tavern in the ancient city of Lagash in southern Iraq.

The discovery of the ancient dining hall — complete with a rudimentary refrigeration system, hundreds of roughly made clay bowls and the fossilised remains of an overcooked fish — was announced in late January by a University of Pennsylvania-led team.

It came against the backdrop of a resurgence of archaeology in a country often referred to as the “cradle of civilisation”, but where archaeological exploration has been stunted by decades of conflict before and after the US invasion of 2003.

Those events exposed the country’s rich sites and collections to the looting of tens of thousands of artefacts.

Iraq Archeological Renaissance

Excavations of a 5,000-year-old city-state of Lagash, near Nasiriyah, Iraq (Nabil al-Jourani/AP/PA)

“The impacts of looting on the field of archaeology were very severe,” Laith Majid Hussein, director of the State Board of Antiquities and Heritage of Iraq, told The Associated Press. “Unfortunately, the wars and periods of instability have greatly affected the situation in the country in general.”

https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/a...5000-year-old-restaurant-in-iraq-1440180.html

Bronze Age craftspeople tempered steel more than 1,000 years before the Romans did it

Intricate 2,900-year-old engravings on stone monuments from what is now Portugal in the Iberian Peninsula could only have been made using steel instruments, archaeologists have found. The discovery hints at small-scale steel production during the Final Bronze Age, a century before the practice became widespread in ancient Rome.

The 5-foot-tall (1.5 meters) rock pillars, or stelae, are made of silicate quartz sandstone and feature carvings of human and animal figures, weapons, ornaments and chariots.

"This is an extremely hard rock that cannot be worked with bronze or stone tools," Ralph Araque Gonzalez, an archaeologist at the University of Freiburg in Germany and lead author of a new study describing the findings, said. "The people of the Final Bronze Age in Iberia were capable of tempering steel. Otherwise they would not have been able to work the pillars."

Tempering is the process of heat-treating steel to make it harder and more resistant to fracturing.

The team also analyzed an "astoundingly well preserved" iron chisel that dates to around 900 B.C. and was unearthed in the early 2000s from a site called Rocha do Vigio in Portugal. Not only did the chisel contain enough carbon to be considered steel (more than 0.30%), but the researchers also found iron mineralization within the settlement site, suggesting that craftspeople may have sourced the material locally.

The researchers worked with a professional stonemason to imitate the ancient engravings with tools made from different materials, including bronze, stone and a tempered steel replica of the 2,900-year-old chisel. The steel instrument was the only one able to carve the rock, according to the study. A blacksmith had to sharpen it every five minutes, however, which suggests craftspeople from the Final Bronze Age knew how to make carbon-rich, hardened steel.

https://www.livescience.com/bronze-...more-than-1000-years-before-the-romans-did-it

maximus otter

Bronze Age craftspeople tempered steel more than 1,000 years before the Romans did it

Intricate 2,900-year-old engravings on stone monuments from what is now Portugal in the Iberian Peninsula could only have been made using steel instruments, archaeologists have found. The discovery hints at small-scale steel production during the Final Bronze Age, a century before the practice became widespread in ancient Rome.

The 5-foot-tall (1.5 meters) rock pillars, or stelae, are made of silicate quartz sandstone and feature carvings of human and animal figures, weapons, ornaments and chariots.

"This is an extremely hard rock that cannot be worked with bronze or stone tools," Ralph Araque Gonzalez, an archaeologist at the University of Freiburg in Germany and lead author of a new study describing the findings, said. "The people of the Final Bronze Age in Iberia were capable of tempering steel. Otherwise they would not have been able to work the pillars."

Tempering is the process of heat-treating steel to make it harder and more resistant to fracturing.

The team also analyzed an "astoundingly well preserved" iron chisel that dates to around 900 B.C. and was unearthed in the early 2000s from a site called Rocha do Vigio in Portugal. Not only did the chisel contain enough carbon to be considered steel (more than 0.30%), but the researchers also found iron mineralization within the settlement site, suggesting that craftspeople may have sourced the material locally.

The researchers worked with a professional stonemason to imitate the ancient engravings with tools made from different materials, including bronze, stone and a tempered steel replica of the 2,900-year-old chisel. The steel instrument was the only one able to carve the rock, according to the study. A blacksmith had to sharpen it every five minutes, however, which suggests craftspeople from the Final Bronze Age knew how to make carbon-rich, hardened steel.

https://www.livescience.com/bronze-...more-than-1000-years-before-the-romans-did-it

maximus otter
And yet we're constantly told that the ancient Egyptians only had copper chisels to use on (in some cases), granite slabs.

No. Slab saws and drills that used a cutting agent. Rougher, scrapers, stone tools. But bronze chisels no.
Bronze would have been available then.
Would it have been exceptionally rare at the time?

That's still pretty tough going on huge slabs of granite.
Sure, and it's why there's more over all granite work done by the relatively short Roman empire compared to the Ancient Egyptians.
Better detailed work too, if we're honest.
But if there is one thing the ancients had it was time.
Bronze would have been available then.
Would it have been exceptionally rare at the time?
No, it was the bronze age. Ships like the
Uluburun shipwrecks how there was a widespread and active trade for the tin and copper needed. And fragments of the tools have been found at Giza.
But if you know what you're doing you can cut granite with flint.

Sure, and it's why there's more over all granite work done by the relatively short Roman empire compared to the Ancient Egyptians.

No, it was the bronze age. Ships like the
Uluburun shipwrecks how there was a widespread and active trade for the tin and copper needed. And fragments of the tools have been found at Giza.
But if you know what you're doing you can cut granite with flint.
I guess flint was a lot more available at the point where it was needed.

That is something else that always puzzles me though. I'd have thought that a large part of their day would have been taken up with farming, building (accommodation as opposed to monuments), making clothes, boats, ropes, tools etc and then getting these materials/foods from A to B.
Simply trying to stay alive, let alone building huge structures.

That is something else that always puzzles me though. I'd have thought that a large part of their day would have been taken up with farming, building (accommodation as opposed to monuments), making clothes, boats, ropes, tools etc and then getting these materials/foods from A to B.
Not necessarily. Egypt produced a lot of flood, more than enough to maintain an artisan class, and then during the flooding season the farmers were basically hanging out while the Nile replenished the nutrients in the farmland.
There's a way you can see the large scale building projects as a public works project, where the Pharoah is giving them work to do in exchange for payment while the Nile was up.
You have in the ancient civilizations like Sumer and Egypt a familiar shake down of social classes like you do today.
Scholars, teachers, soldiers, builders.

No. Slab saws and drills that used a cutting agent. Rougher, scrapers, stone tools. But bronze chisels no.
Bronze can be hardened with antimony - the knowledge of that was brought to The British Isles by the Levantine traders...whose home state was just North of Egypt.

Possible?

Bronze can be hardened with antimony - the knowledge of that was brought to The British Isles by the Levantine traders...whose home state was just North of Egypt.

Possible?
Hadn't seen that word before, in the area its referred to as kohl. I know the Egyptians used arsenical bronze, but just taking a quick look the main way they used antimony or kohl was in cosmetics and medicine.
Don't think I've seen it come up in any discussions of ancient egyptian metallurgy that I've read either.
That said I'm just a keen idiot myself.

Building huge structures probably was the 'glue' that pulled all the trades together, and gave the people a common cause (an income/food, etc) to enhance their beliefs?

That said I'm just a keen idiot myself.
I think we all are, Shadowsot - with things that interest us.

The more I learn, the more it sits comfortably in my mind that we have been to this technological level before now...nothing to do with OOPART evidence - more to do with evidence of Mathematics, Physics, Astronomy, and other such remnants of the sciences that were part of 'primitive' societies.

It was known that in Smithing, with metals, that you could case harden the metal by quenching in water. The trouble is that the metal produced by quenching in H2O was not toughened by the procedure - it retained a hardened edge. BUT - quench the metallic article in a nitrogenous substance (oil, flesh, soot, feathers!), and the result was a much tougher product that could be relied upon to retain an edge that didn't shatter on impact, and could be sharpened with some ease.

When and how did the Smithy discover that?

I think we all are, Shadowsot - with things that interest us.

The more I learn, the more it sits comfortably in my mind that we have been to this technological level before now...nothing to do with OOPART evidence - more to do with evidence of Mathematics, Physics, Astronomy, and other such remnants of the sciences that were part of 'primitive' societies.

It was known that in Smithing, with metals, that you could case harden the metal by quenching in water. The trouble is that the metal produced by quenching in H2O was not toughened by the procedure - it retained a hardened edge. BUT - quench the metallic article in a nitrogenous substance (oil, flesh, soot, feathers!), and the result was a much tougher product that could be relied upon to retain an edge that didn't shatter on impact, and could be sharpened with some ease.

When and how did the Smithy discover that?
If it's like the shop I worked at, probably by some fool apprentice not paying attention.
In the other hand people were probably just as willing to experiment in the past as today.
Maybe it was a mistake, but it also needed someone paying attention and getting curious.
I tend to disagree about the tech level stuff. That sort of thing leaves mountains of evidence, stuff that wouldn't get completely lost. Both positive evidence in the form of materials and negative evidence, in the shape of depleted deposits and mines.

Bronze Age sword found in Bavaria

The sword is so well preserved that it still gleams, according to a statement from the Bavarian State Office for the Preservation of Monuments.

The sword is thought to date to the end of the 14th century BCE, the Middle Bronze Age. A sword like this, with an octagonal handle made entirely from bronze, is a rare find, according to the statement.

“The state of preservation is exceptional! A find like this is very rare,” he added.

Researchers believe the sword was a real weapon. “The center of gravity in the front part of the blade indicates that it was balanced mainly for slashing,” the statement reads.

It was left in a grave containing the remains of three people—a man, a woman and a young person—who were buried shortly after one another, the statement continues. It is not clear what their relationship was, but they were buried with a rich array of grave goods.
1687002945434.png

The state of preservation is just staggering. Hardly any oxide layer at all.
I really, really hope that it has an 'Ulfberht' inscription on the other side...

Because I think Ulfberht was a time-travelling swordmaker...

More regarding the formidable Xiongnu.

Until now, the only accounts of the Xiongnu came from their enemies.

Chinese records from 2200 years ago describe how these fierce mounted archers from the wide-open steppes of today’s Mongolia clashed with armies in what is now northwestern China. Their onslaughts spurred the Chinese to build what would become known as the Great Wall of China on their northern border, as protection against the mounted nomads. They also started to raise cavalry armies of their own.

The equestrian empire of the Xiongnu left no written records. But biology is now filling out their story, and those of other Central Asian cultures in antiquity. Two studies—a sweeping survey of ancient DNA from more than 200 individuals across 6000 years and an analysis of horse skeletons from just before the rise of the Xiongnu—trace population movements across Central Asia and the key role played by horsemanship. The results “show the horse was probably the driver of some of the ancestry shifts we see in the human population,” says Ludovic Orlando of Paul Sabatier University, who was not involved in the paper. “The horse provided new range in patterns of human mobility and allowed people to travel long distance faster.”

Horses were probably domesticated by the Botai culture around 3500 B.C.E. near what is modern Kazakhstan. Horses may have been mainly used for meat and milk at first, and later began to pull wheeled chariots. ...

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...s-mongolian-warriors-build-multiethnic-empire

Another article about this nomadic empire.

... The Xiongnu dispatched frontier ‘princesses’​

Initial insights into the Xiongnu people’s diverse genetic origins were first published in 2020. DNA extracted from remains of 60 individuals excavated at 27 Xiongnu sites indicated that two genetically distinct populations of Mongolian herders had coalesced to become the Xiongnu people around 2,200 years ago. One population descended from several western Mongolian cultures and the other from a couple of eastern Mongolian cultures.

Additional genetic contributions to the Xiongnu mix then came from farther away, most likely a culture near present-day Ukraine as well as Imperial China, reported archaeogeneticist Choongwon Jeong of Seoul National University in South Korea and colleagues.

Building on those findings, Jeong’s team then examined DNA of 17 individuals from elite and low-status graves at two Mongolian cemeteries on the Xiongnu Empire’s western frontier. Central Mongolia’s Xiongnu heartland lay around 1,200 kilometers to the east.

The six largest and richest tombs contained women whose genetic ancestry traced back to central Mongolia, the scientists reported in April in Science Advances. These women rested in wooden coffins placed in square tombs. Items found in these tombs included gold sun and moon emblems of Xiongnu imperial power, glass beads, silk clothes and Chinese mirrors.

A photo of a gold metal circle and a gold metal crescent moon on a black background. Both were found in a Xiongnu tomb.

Gold sun and moon emblems of imperial Xiongnu power were found among other elite items in a woman’s tomb on the western edge of the ancient nomadic empire. DNA evidence indicates the woman was related to ruling families in the empire’s Mongolian heartland.© J. BAYARSAIKHAN

One woman was buried with horse-riding equipment, a gilded iron belt clasp and a Chinese lacquer cup. These objects have previously been found in graves of male horse-mounted warriors. But such items signal that a deceased person had been powerful, not necessarily a warrior, says Miller, a study coauthor.

Miller and his colleagues suggest that the women had been sent to the frontier to maintain Xiongnu traditions and nurture contacts with Silk Road trade networks (SN: 3/8/17). Preliminary signs of genetic relatedness among individuals interred at one of the cemeteries suggest that some elite Xiongnu “princesses” also cemented power by marrying into local families.

The elite women’s graves were flanked by simple graves of adult men, and of girls and boys ranging from babies to adolescents. These commoners possessed greater genetic diversity than the female big shots. If the men were retainers or servants of female elites, they had come from distant parts of the Xiongnu Empire or possibly beyond, the researchers say. ...

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/asia-xiongnu-nomadic-empire-expansion

Ivory Man is Really Ivory Woman

When archaeologists in 2008 discovered ivory tusks, amber, ostrich eggshells, and a crystal dagger in a 5000-year-old grave in the town of Valencina in southwest Spain, they assumed it belonged to an elite leader. They dubbed the individual within—likely the person with the highest social status in all of Iberia during the time—the Ivory Man.

But that title would more accurately be the Ivory Lady, researchers assert today in Scientific Reports. A state-of-the-art analysis of the remains’ proteins indicates this esteemed person was a woman. Researchers say no men occupied a comparable status in this society.

Archaeologist Roberto Risch of the Autonomous University of Barcelona, who was not involved in the study, says the results confirm what many suspected: prehistoric women wielded authority and prestige, challenging modern assumptions about gender roles in leadership. This updated perspective “fits much better with our understanding of the Copper Age in the western Mediterranean,” he says.

Valencina, near modern-day Seville, sprawled over 450 hectares during its peak in the Copper Age, between 3200 B.C.E. and 2200 B.C.E. At the time, Risch says, it would have been a bit like “the New York City of Europe.” Emerging wealth from both productive hunting and agriculture funded an era of creativity, he says, and created a hub for trading, exchanging information, and feasting.

Most Iberians of the time were buried in group graves. However, the opulent grave discovered in 2008 contained only a single occupant. “Based on the skeleton, which wasn’t well preserved, the initial diagnostic was that they were likely a male,” says study co-author Leonardo García Sanjuán, an archaeologist at the University of Seville.

Definitively determining the sex of ancient remains using DNA can be a tricky task. Genetic material degrades easily in Spain’s heat. ...

https://www.science.org/content/article/most-outstanding-leader-iberian-copper-age-was-woman

Rich finds indeed, cultural, religious as well as treasure and evidence of trading liks/

Hundreds of ancient artifacts, including headbands of pure gold, have been unearthed from elite Bronze Age tombs on the Mediterranean island of Cyprus.

The finds show the great wealth of the people buried there, which was based on the island's trade in copper — a crucial metal at that time that was used to make bronze.

The artifacts include many imported into Cyprus from other major cultures in the region, including the Minoans on Crete, the Mycenaeans in Greece and the ancient Egyptians.

Archaeologist Peter Fischer, professor emeritus at the University of Gothenburg in Sweden, said the imported objects confirmed the extent of Mediterranean trade during the Late Bronze Age, between about 1640 B.C. and 1050 B.C.

We are looking down on a dirt burial with a skeleton and pottery.

The elite tombs on Cyrus date from the Late Bronze Age — between 1640 and 1050 B.C. — and were filled with hundreds of artifacts given as grave goods. (Image credit: Peter Fischer)

"The numerous finds of gold, most likely imported from Egypt but showing mainly Minoan motifs, demonstrate that the Egyptians received copper in exchange," he told Live Science.

The archaeologists also found everyday items, such as fishbones from freshwater Nile perch. "They came either with Egyptian ships or with returning Cypriot crews, demonstrating the intense trade between these cultures," Fischer said.

We see a small figure of a bull laying in the dirt.

The grave goods included several figurines, such as this one of a bull — an important image in Minoan belief on the nearby island of Crete. (Image credit: Peter Fischer)

Fischer and his colleagues have been excavating a Bronze Age trading emporium at Hala Sultan Tekke on the southern coast of Cyprus since 2010; and they discovered the elite tombs earlier this year.

https://www.livescience.com/archaeo...g-the-richest-ever-found-in-the-mediterranean

First one ever found in Essex, it's the torc of the town.

Bronze Age gold torc
IMAGE SOURCE ,COLCHESTER AND IPSWICH MUSEUM SERVICE Image caption, Precious objects like this damaged torc were often buried on their own

A section of a Bronze Age twisted gold torc has been found in a field by a metal detectorist.

The 3,000-year-old fragment was discovered near Mistley, on the River Stour in Essex, and has been declared treasure by a coroner.
Finds liaison officer Lori Rogerson said despite being made of prehistoric gold "it could have been made yesterday", which is "mind blowing".

It was also the "first ever" torc "reported as treasure from Essex".

Miss Rogerson said: "Gold metalwork from the Bronze Age is rare from Essex.

"It's always nice to work with prehistoric gold, but you have to remind yourself it is over 3,000 years old."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-66189465

It's not really that 'mind-blowing'.
There are some golden torcs out there that are, though.

Arrowhead Made of Meteorite Found in Switzerland, Mystifying Archaeologists

An arrowhead likely comprised of material from a meteorite was discovered in Switzerland by a team of archaeologists and geologists, according to a study published in the Journal of Archaeological Science.

1-s2.0-S0305440323001073-gr1.jpg

The team determined that the arrowhead was made of an iron-nickel-aluminium alloy using electron-microscope images, X-rays, and high-energy radiation analysis. The results were then compared with other known meteorite samples.

The nickel and germanium concentrations in the Mörigen arrowhead share similarities with the Estonian Kaalijarv meteorite, which fell roughly 3,500 years ago during the Bronze Age. Even though Estonia is near the Baltic Sea in Northern Europe, researchers believe the arrowhead is more likely connected to this meteorite based on similar properties.

https://www.artnews.com/art-news/news/ancient-arrowhead-meteorite-switzerland-moringen-1234676110/

maximus otter

Arrowhead Made of Meteorite Found in Switzerland, Mystifying Archaeologists

An arrowhead likely comprised of material from a meteorite was discovered in Switzerland by a team of archaeologists and geologists, according to a study published in the Journal of Archaeological Science.

1-s2.0-S0305440323001073-gr1.jpg

The team determined that the arrowhead was made of an iron-nickel-aluminium alloy using electron-microscope images, X-rays, and high-energy radiation analysis. The results were then compared with other known meteorite samples.

The nickel and germanium concentrations in the Mörigen arrowhead share similarities with the Estonian Kaalijarv meteorite, which fell roughly 3,500 years ago during the Bronze Age. Even though Estonia is near the Baltic Sea in Northern Europe, researchers believe the arrowhead is more likely connected to this meteorite based on similar properties.

https://www.artnews.com/art-news/news/ancient-arrowhead-meteorite-switzerland-moringen-1234676110/

maximus otter
Must have used a sharpening stone to put an edge on this one then?

Back