• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bumfights & Societal Decline

beverage ejection

Pinklefish said:
I managed to hold back the last time this was mentioned, but I'm really sorry - the words "bum fighting" bring up such an odd image in my mind, I eject my current beverage through my nose.
pinkle

that's as painful as snorting coffee! and makes various internal nasal bits sting for a long time.( Thread - New Science > drugs in your cupboard )

Update:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/2280088.stm

Two men suspected of making a controversial reality TV-style video that features homeless people fighting each other for money have been arrested.
Police in San Diego, California, arrested Zachary Bubeck, 24, and Ryan Edward McPherson, 19, after a three-month investigation into the Bumfights video.

Participants fought in return for cash, food and alcohol, police said

Bumfights shows tramps having fist-fights and running head-first into steel doors as well as footage of other street punch-ups.

It was billed as "hilariously shocking" by its producers, but condemned as exploitative and cruel by homeless charities.

Mr Bubeck and Mr McPherson, both from Las Vegas, have been charged with conspiracy, solicitation of a felony crime and illegally paying people to fight.

According to police, the video's producers encouraged homeless people to fight on camera in return for cash, food and alcohol - but warned them not to tell the authorities about the payment.

Police are still looking for two more Las Vegas residents, they said.

"Rufus the Stunt Bum" is one of the stars of the show

Producers say more than 300,000 copies of Bumfights Volume 1 - A Cause For Concern have been sold over the internet.

Shot with a hand-held camera, the video shows clips including a man in a dark alley smacking himself in the head after realising his hair is on fire.

Others are filmed pulling their teeth out with pliers.

One of the "stars" of the video, called "Rufus the Stunt Bum", repeatedly rams his head into a wall, rides a shopping trolley down a steep incline and spray-paints the bedding of other homeless men.

The makers have claimed that the violence only depicts the true hardships the homeless face.

But Donald Whitehead, from the US National Coalition for the Homeless, said: "It's clearly exploitative. It's clearly cruel.

"People are being forced to do things under various conditions of substance abuse and mental illness."

Mr Bubeck and Mr McPherson are due to appear in court on 10 October for a preliminary hearing.

foo

Damnit, this sucks.
I couldn't wait for the next video of poor people being bribed into hurting themselves.
I mean, its so fun because ITS THEIR FAULT THEY'RE HOMELESS DRUG ADDICTS, so its wicked funny to see them taken advantage of.

Sarcasm, by the way.

Makers of bum fights arrested!!!

I know some people on here found the whole bumfights video interesting.

SAN DIEGO (Reuters) - Two men who allegedly paid street people to fight each other as part of the Internet video sensation "Bumfights" have been arrested in San Diego, police said on Tuesday.

The arrests of Las Vegas residents Zachary Bubeck, 24, and Ryan Edward McPherson, 19, followed a three-month probe by the La Mesa Police Department into the "Bumfights" tapes, Lt. Raul Garcia said. La Mesa is a suburb of San Diego.

Bubeck surrendered on Monday and detectives arrested McPherson in La Mesa two weeks ago, Garcia said.

Police said they were still looking for two other Las Vegas residents, as well as others who may have been involved in the production of "Bumfights."

Producers claim to have sold more than 300,000 copies of "Bumfights" over the Internet for .99 each.

"Bumfights, Vol 1" -- touted by its producers as "the fastest-selling independent video" featuring "drunks" and "crackheads" -- shows bedraggled men engaging in fistfights and acts of self-abuse, such as running headlong into steel doors and leaping off bridges.

Police say the "Bumfights" producers persuaded street people to fight for the camera in exchange for cash payments, food, liquor and hotel rooms but warned the participants not to tell authorities about the remuneration.

One person broke his leg during a taping session in La Mesa, and producers threatened another witness in the case, police said.

Bubeck and McPherson were charged with conspiracy, solicitation of a felony crime and illegally paying people to fight.

They are due in court on Oct. 10 for a preliminary hearing

Yes, and I hear they've got the credit card details of everyone who
bought a copy. They've all got to house a bum for a week. :p

I heard the figure $7,000,000 made by the creators of this video.

Who's worse - them or the people that buy it?

Yes Yes 'I want to watch'

them go to prison!!--I saw that on the tv news yesterday--good !!now they can go to jail and have some fun!!:blah:

Who's the Daddy?

I wonder what they'll do for ten Malborough Light?:D

Yeah!!

I wonder what took so long to nab those dolts--will they get to keep the money??

Right, lads. Here's the cell you'll be sharing with these large gentlemen.
Here's your $7,000,000. And here's the tube you keep it in. :eek:

I thought I was going to read all about people fighting with their ars . . . er, behinds . . .

Carole

Good for them. Everyone hurt in that video should get some sort of compensation...

I've got a question... what tattoo parlor would agree to tattoo "BUMFIGHTS" onto a homeless man's forehead?

I too, thought that this thread was about people fighting with their nether regions, and found myself trying to picture how this would be done. Would it be a more violent version of "hands, knees, boomps-a-daisy" that we used to do as children?

At least no-one would be seriously hurt...:rolleyes:

Mebbe not, unless you were matched against Geri Halliwell or Posh Beckham - they must have the boniest arses in the history of mankind . . .

Carole

carole said:
I thought I was going to read all about people fighting with their ars . . . er, behinds . . .

Carole
:rofl:
In which case you might be interested in this, Carole

Ananova has a story today about a planned sequel. The page
also has a couple of stills from these edifying spectaculars:

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_712853.html?menu=news.weirdworld.badtaste

Sequel planned to Bumfights video, despite charges
Filmmakers facing charges for allegedly paying homeless men to fight each other are planning to release a sequel.

It comes as prosecutors bring new charges against four men who they say bribed the tramps to fight, with beer and doughnuts.

But a note posted on the Bumfights website called the charges "nonsense" and said a sequel was in the works.
It said: "Despite all this nonsense, we at Bumfights would like you to know that the video is still for sale, and as long as there is a first amendment in this country it's gonna take a helluva lot more than that to shut us down.
"The BFK would like to thank all of their loyal fans for your support and are currently hard at work on the sequel."
The men have been charged with battery, illegal fight promotion and conspiracy in connection with the "Bumfights: A Cause for Concern" video, which was sold on the internet. They were already charged with soliciting an assault with deadly force.
All four entered innocent pleas and said they plan to challenge the charges.
The video has sold about 300,000 copies at $20 each, according to police. In one sequence, homeless men Donald Brennan and Rufus Hannah are show fighting in a car park.
Mr Brennan, who agreed to have "Bumfight" tattooed on his forehead, broke his leg in one fight with Hannah. He was also shown on film having sex with a prostitute.
The filmmakers are also being sued by Hannah and Brennan for assault and battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress and civil rights violations. The defendants are Ryan McPherson, 19; Zachary Bubeck, 25; Daniel J. Tanner, 21; and Michael Slyman, 21.
Story filed: 11:57 Wednesday 20th November 2002

Piscez said:
I've got a question... what tattoo parlor would agree to tattoo "BUMFIGHTS" onto a homeless man's forehead?

Speaking of which, I saw a girl today with "EMINEM" tattooed on her arm. Bet she's going to regret that when she's sixty. Something tells me he just won't have the timeless quality of a Frank Sinatra or Tony Bennett.

Some charges against Bumfights filmmakers dismissed

Ananova:

Four filmmakers accused of paying homeless people to fight each other on film have had some charges against them dismissed.

They are accused of bribing tramps with beer and doughnuts to fight so they could make and sell their Bumfights film.

A superior court judge in El Cajon, California, dropped charges of felony battery and soliciting, ruling there's insufficient evidence.

However, the men still face charges of staging an illegal fight and conspiracy to commit battery.

The video, Bumfights: A Cause for Concern, has sold about 300,000 copies at $20 apiece.

Some in the video say they were paid for their performances - but others said they were just drunk.

The defendants are Ryan McPherson, 19; Zachary Bubeck, 25; Daniel J Tanner, 21; and Michael Slyman, 21.

Story filed: 13:48 Thursday 16th January 2003

bumfights documentary on channel 5:

After spending a combined 70 years living rough, Donnie Brennan and Rufus Hannah must have thought things could not get any worse. Ravaged by the effects of alcoholism, Vietnam and a society that had given up on them, the two scraped out an existence living in makeshift shelters in San Diego.
And then came Bumfights. Set against a hip-hop sound track, the underground video, shot by teenage film-makers, shows Brennan and Hannah fighting each other and performing dangerous stunts live on camera in return for food, money and beer. Now footage from the video, which appalled Middle America, will be shown on British television for the first time.

Last night charities for the homeless described the scenes shown in the Channel 5 documentary Bumfights: A Video Too Far as 'dehumanising'. Shelter said it 'takes advantage of extremely vulnerable people solely to entertain others. Many of these people are already excluded by society and this type of programme will simply allow viewers to dehumanise them and the desperate situations they are in.'

:eek:

I'm sorry to add a note of levity but I really can't take anything with the name Bum-fighting seriously, it's just a ridiculously camp image.

I hate to post so late in a thread as all the main viewpoints have usually been covered but I have some experience of this obscure area.

About ten years ago I was on holiday in Los Angeles and had a hotel room overlooking an alley between the hotel and the back of a Sizzler restaurant and a 7-11. (Inglewood, near the airport)
Now this must have been a particularly fine location for homeless folk as the dumpsters in this alley must have been a source of rich pickings. I also saw the Sizzler staff handing out food to the hobos from the back door.
One night we heard a fight and it was a ‘Turf war’ battle between two gangs of hobos. As we were on the first floor (second floor to Americans) and could watch in safety, I found it a terrifically exciting spectacle and only wish I had warmed up the old camcorder before it started. The “sitting tenants” bravely repulsed the interlopers and sent them on their way with many an anglo-saxon exhortation to copulate with various animals and family members. I have no need to see the “Bumfights” video as I have witnessed a true ‘Battle Royal’ of bumfights.

To those who think such voyeurism a bad thing, consider,

The Malaysian internet server hosting the Nick Berg execution video, had so many hits the network had to be shut down. (Reported by BBC but I don’t have an exact link).
IIRC didn’t we get rid of public executions because the crowds they attracted were so huge that they posed a danger to the public?

I think such interest is a part of our nature.

A Certain Lack Of Empathy Probably Helps

drjbrennan said:
I think such interest is a part of our nature.
I think such interest is culturally defined.

Your point of view would probably be radically altered if you were involved in the event, rather than a spectator, whose interest is probably heightened by a feeling of security through being circumstantially and fortuitously distanced from the event. Such a sense of distance is culturally acquired, not innate.

We have been raised to spectate through the distancing effects of the media from a very early age. That distancing and brutalising is done through various methods in early societies, dance, story telling, music and singing, symbolic re-enactments of the hunt, or warfare, battle and slaughter.

As cultures become civilisations, it is theatre and a variety of State, or Religion sponsored spectacle that put us into the position of the God's Eye View. We become less able to distinguish between real and enactment, less quick to feel the other's pain. More ready to cheer on the vissitudes of fate and to experience schadenfreude in other people's misfortunes.

Perhaps, the same sort of feeling Roman citizens felt watching the spectacle of slaughter and rape in the gladiatorial arena, or the feeling of relief people get knowing it wasn't them in that telescoped Cortina, surrounded by blood and glass, being opened with a giant can opener on the hard shoulder of the M6.

Insert smilie indicating winsome tongue in cheekiness here: ;)

Anyone who repeatedly uses the phrase "smoking an E" isn't qualified to have an opinion on addiction because clearly he doesn't know what he is talking about.

If you think people smoke E and inject cannibus, please go to your local library and chase away that ignorance with a book on the subject of drug addiction.

theHobgoblin said:
Anyone who repeatedly uses the phrase "smoking an E" isn't qualified to have an opinion on addiction because clearly he doesn't know what he is talking about.

It is possible to smoke E and snort it (although I'm unsure if you could inject liquid E) - people will alwats find new and 'innovative' ways to take drugs. You could probably inject THC if you could get the liquid form.

I doubt any of that is advsiable but it is theoretically possible.

Emps

Back