• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Burtons Ghost?

Dwain Pipe

Junior Acolyte
This is a tale shared with me by the Father of a friend that might be interesting. Back in the early 70’s his best friend at the time called Jim joined the police force in Hull, East Yorkshire. One winters evening after he’d been in the job around 6 months, Jim and a Sergeant were patrolling the streets of the city centre very late at night. There’d been a spate of break ins of shops so they were walking the deserted streets to keep an eye open for any suspicious activity. After a couple of hours the Sergeant suggested that he climbs a ladder onto the roof of the local Burtons shop to allow himself a birds eye view of the streets while Jim carried on at street level. The shop is beside Beverley Gate in Hull which has an important history relating to the English Civil War, which may or may not be pertinent. Jim walked off leaving the Sergeant to climb onto the roof. After sometime walking around Jim decided to head back to his Sergeant, however on arriving at the shop and climbing the roof there was no sign of him. After looking around for a while, and unsure what to do, Jim went back to the station confused and a little concerned. When he arrived there he was quickly ushered into the staff room where he was met by the sight of the Sergeant wrapped in a blanket, shaking and drinking a large whiskey while surrounded by very concerned colleagues. After a short time the Sergeant was ready to share what had happened. On climbing the roof he looked down at Jim and watched him walk away into the city streets. After Jim disappeared from view he began to scan the streets looking for anything untoward. After a few minutes he turned around to walk to the other end of the roof when he claims to have seen a “black mist” at the far edge of the roof. The mist them seemed to grow in size and move towards him across the roof. Even more alarmingly 2 red ‘eyes’ began to appear on the upper quarter of it. He ran to the ladder, climbed down and sprinted back to the station. Apparently he refused to walk down that street, even in day light, for the rest of his life.

This is a tale shared with me by the Father of a friend that might be interesting. Back in the early 70’s his best friend at the time called Jim joined the police force in Hull, East Yorkshire. One winters evening after he’d been in the job around 6 months, Jim and a Sergeant were patrolling the streets of the city centre very late at night. There’d been a spate of break ins of shops so they were walking the deserted streets to keep an eye open for any suspicious activity. After a couple of hours the Sergeant suggested that he climbs a ladder onto the roof of the local Burtons shop to allow himself a birds eye view of the streets while Jim carried on at street level. The shop is beside Beverley Gate in Hull which has an important history relating to the English Civil War, which may or may not be pertinent. Jim walked off leaving the Sergeant to climb onto the roof. After sometime walking around Jim decided to head back to his Sergeant, however on arriving at the shop and climbing the roof there was no sign of him. After looking around for a while, and unsure what to do, Jim went back to the station confused and a little concerned. When he arrived there he was quickly ushered into the staff room where he was met by the sight of the Sergeant wrapped in a blanket, shaking and drinking a large whiskey while surrounded by very concerned colleagues. After a short time the Sergeant was ready to share what had happened. On climbing the roof he looked down at Jim and watched him walk away into the city streets. After Jim disappeared from view he began to scan the streets looking for anything untoward. After a few minutes he turned around to walk to the other end of the roof when he claims to have seen a “black mist” at the far edge of the roof. The mist them seemed to grow in size and move towards him across the roof. Even more alarmingly 2 red ‘eyes’ began to appear on the upper quarter of it. He ran to the ladder, climbed down and sprinted back to the station. Apparently he refused to walk down that street, even in day light, for the rest of his life.
Cool story, Bro! No, really, it's cool. :popc:

If you like that...ask me about my time doing a private nursing job for an elderly man in his house "Baynards" near Cranleigh...Jesus, it still gives me the chunners.

So too Stanmer Park in Brighton.

If you like that...ask me about my time doing a private nursing job for an elderly man in his house "Baynards" near Cranleigh...Jesus, it still gives me the chunners.

So too Stanmer Park in Brighton.

Spill the beans, Punk. :D

Ahem. We’re waiting....

Seeing as it's you. This might take a wee while.

Now. Having had my first Fortean experience quite late in life (See A&E weirdness) in my mid twenties to be precise, although, looking back there was other stuff in my teens that I just didn't really consider them unusual at the time...turns out they were when I compare my formative years with others I've met since.

So, after I left the NHS I went into independent nursing, basically living with rich old people in their own home and attending to their medical needs while other " staff" get on with cooking, cleaning etc. Believe me there are many wealthy folk who can afford that.

I took a job at a house called "Baynards" between Horsham and Cranleigh which was situated within the grounds of Baynards Park once part of a manor estate, the main house having burnt down in the 60s I think??

Anyhoo. I was part of a 2 nurse team with one on days ( a lady from my agency) and me on nights.

When we turned up we were met by the husband and wife team (both RNs) who we were relieving. After the lengthy handover, care plan, medical notes, medication check etc. They were leaving and the bloke says " we are so effing pleased to be out of here, place is haunted as hell" apparently they had been asking for weeks to be relieved but no one else would come..that should have been our cue to leave but I was young and used to working in a large busy trauma unit and felt like I was up for anything..my partner said she didn't believe in all that so, we stayed.

When I went up to "my room" I was pretty shocked that it looked like a throwback to the 1950s, all cricket bats, old furniture, ashtrays in silver and black and white photos of old Morgan cars and school cricket and rugby team prints.The housekeeper gaily announced that this had been the room of the owners son who was killed in a motorbike accident on the road outside the house in 1956. It hadn't been touched since and was kept a a memorial. Nice.

The house was old. Really old. It was part of the manor gatehouse that had been split into three houses it was dated in the 1600s and was all oak beams and low doors. The entrance hall was cobbled and was obviously an old stable yard that had been enclosed in the building, this area housed the washing machine, tumble drier, fridge freezer etc.
The front door was cut into the old massive gateway which was about 12ft high and 15ft across and filled with oak gates which still had the massive hinges and iron fittings. Inside the house was all dark wood, a very grand staircase led up to the first floor which opened onto a wide landing with, bizarrely an all glass louvred ceiling along its length which let in loads of natural light.

The owner had spent his working life in Ceylon as a tea plantation owner and the walls sported the heads of buffalo, big elk things and a rather tatty looking tiger..all shot by him.

There was also a huge tiger skin rug in front of the massive fireplace in the front room. Him:2-Tigers-0.

The fun began right from the get go. As soon as the 2 leaving nurses had gone. About ten minutes after they drove off there was a massive knock on the door. I thought they've forgotten something..opened the door...tumbleweed. No one in sight. Shrug. End.

1st night. After the old boy is in bed I'm sitting on the tiger chatting to the other nurse over a fine single malt. The housekeeper had said "drink what you like" after all when, I kid you not we hear the sound of horses going potty in the back of the house, hooves scraping, whinnies the lot. I went to look out of the window, pitch dark outside, but somethings wrong. My colleague says. They're in the front yard, so I start walking towards the front door ( which is at the back of the house) and I realise the horse noises were coming from the vestibule, INSIDE the house. The noise had stopped as I was walking there but when I opened the door to the vestibule I realised she was right. The only "cobbles" anywhere were in the bloody house! Outside was gravel and grass.

2nd day. I'm in bed trying to sleep but keep hearing scratching on my bedroom door, there is a cat in the house, (apart from the Tigers) and I keep jumping up to catch the blighter. He's never there. I just couldn't sleep in that bloody room, I kept smelling fags being smoked...and I don't smoke..it was really pissing me off. So I ended up basically not sleeping for the week I was there.

From third day on, escalating events, the horse noises again, in the dead of night, washing machine turning itself onto spin cycle repeatedly without being programmed to do so, my colleague was getting so freaked out that she. Wouldn't sleep either. We'd sit in the front room waiting for it all to kick off.
By day 4 were on to the agency demanding to be taken off the job. We were drinking a lot too. Not good when you're in charge of an elderly patient. We weren't "drunk" but we were numbing ourselves somewhat.
On the morning of day five I went upstairs to find the whole landing covered in leaves, autumn leaves, all dry and crispy. This was in high summer.

There was no open louvre, no leaves outside, no leaves in the gutters or anywhere on the roof. Believe me I climbed up to check. The phenomena by now included fingernails tapping on the windows at night..clickety clickety..Christ.

The final straw came on day 6' well night 6. The pair of us nurses were sitting in the usual spot waiting for the next horror when , my colleague says.."can you see THAT" pointing at the curtains..I'm staring, can't see anything...then..of fuck..there is a woman's arm. I kid you not, from shoulder to fingertip, the arm was floating quite still, I could see a puffed dress sleeve at the top, bracelet, and very large rings on the well kept fingers. It had a thin lacy sort of long sleeve leading up to the puffed velvet looking shoulder ornament. Dress was emerald green by the look of it. I was out of the chair to catch the wearer behind the heavy curtains. No prizes for guessing what I found when the curtain was pulled back. Anyway. The arm was in front of the curtain. There just wasn't the usual body attached.

My colleague decided enough was enough and she took the old boys car out of the garage and drove off. Leaving me there.
*edit* yes. She would have been over the limit.
I had to call the guys son, who, it turns out I'd met many years before in a totally unrelated role, odd. He came out in te morning and I said I wanted out and said I didn't mind pay being docked. This guy is actually really well known in some sectors and he was very nice all things considered. He didn't even ask what was up, he wasn't bothered about the missing car, which he knew I would get back to him and said he "understood" my colleagues sudden exit.

I had to stay until another nurse came in that night but got out tout suite.

Many years later someone gave me Judy Middletones excellent books "Haunted Sussex and Haunted Surrey" and I read with total fascination the history of Baynards Manor and Park and exactly why it was so haunted.

I'll leave you, the reader, to look it up for yourselves. If your interested. I'm never going back. I know that much.

Last edited:
I realise the horse noises were coming from the vestibule, INSIDE the house. The noise had stopped as I was walking there but when I opened the door to the vestibule I realised she was right. The only "cobbles" anywhere were in the bloody house! Outside was gravel and grass.

Reminds me of one of my own experiences!

I used to work in a care home that was a redeveloped posh country house, maybe a couple of hundred years old. (That's nearly brand new for the area!)

One day I asked an old geezer if he'd settled in OK, him being new an' all. He replied that he'd had trouble sleeping because of the noise.

I thought perhaps the night staff were hoovering or something so I asked what sort of noise he meant, and he said it was the horses snorting and stamping all night. I said ... right... and offered him a cup of tea.

When I saw the Sister I told her what he'd said as he was clearly in dementia, contrary to his assessment which just had him as a bit feeble and prone to falls.
She went a bit pale. His bedroom was in the 'Extension' which was built over the old stables...

Reminds me of one of my own experiences!

I used to work in a care home that was a redeveloped posh country house, maybe a couple of hundred years old. (That's nearly brand new for the area!)

One day I asked an old geezer if he'd settled in OK, him being new an' all. He replied that he'd had trouble sleeping because of the noise.

I thought perhaps the night staff were hoovering or something so I asked what sort of noise he meant, and he said it was the horses snorting and stamping all night. I said ... right... and offered him a cup of tea.

When I saw the Sister I told her what he'd said as he was clearly in dementia, contrary to his assessment which just had him as a bit feeble and prone to falls.
She went a bit pale. His bedroom was in the 'Extension' which was built over the old stables...

I grew up in a Liverpool terrace. The only horses I knew were the metal mans when I was a kid. God knows what I would have done had there been an irate stallion waiting in there.

If you want to hear horses at night in a field with no horses... try camping at Flodden Field, in Northumberland. (I can't remember if it was a campsite or just a random farmer letting us camp overnight - we did that a lot in the 1980s, just knocked on farm doors and asked to camp in an old pasture or summat....) There were three of us - friend in a separate tent. He was also woken up by it. I'd forgotten that one! I didn't think it was anything supernatural at the time - assumed there were horses in a nearby field as sound travels at night. In the morning though, it was apparent - there just weren't. All three of us were awoken by it. Well, that and the ferret. Or weasel or stoat I'm not sure what it was. (That decided that going under our groundsheet was great fun and was too tame to scare away. Nightmare!)

ETA: The ferret was very real.

he claims to have seen a “black mist” at the far edge of the roof. The mist them seemed to grow in size and move towards him across the roof. Even more alarmingly 2 red ‘eyes’ began to appear on the upper quarter of it..

Just a suggestion, but a migraine attack maybe?
I get them myself and can understand how the flashing lights and blanked-out areas of vision could be construed as something "out there".
I'm used to it myself and think nothing of it, but I can well understand how a migraine could spook some people, especially if they haven't had an attack before.

I get them myself and can understand how the flashing lights and blanked-out areas of vision could be construed as something "out there".
I'm used to it myself and think nothing of it, but I can well understand how a migraine could spook some people, especially if they haven't had an attack before.

Hmm...he’d need to be a bit below par mentally to fail to notice the black mist was in front of his eyes wherever he was looking.

A little history of the Burton store for those interested.

I believe this is the Burton store in question circa 1905. At some point the roof was raised a floor and made flat as per the OP's description and the google images link. The old "monument bridge" was removed and incorporated into a solid walkway as the queens docks were filled in and shored up to create queens gardens. Monument bridge was so called because behind your left shoulder and out of shot a large 102ft tall monument and statue dedicated to William Wilberforce once stood. This was taken down and moved stone by stone about 1 mile away in the 1930's. In the google images shot it shows construction work as part of the 2017 city of culture renovations, this paved the area near the historic Beverley Gate where in 1642 Sir John Hotham refused King Charles I entry to the city which kicked off the english civil war.

https://goo.gl/maps/4dncyf3D9k42

facebook_1528318656127.jpg

Yep that's the one - my google maps link just above the pic is the same :)

Here's the shop from another angle. Shop is on the right with the canopy. You can see why the bridge was called Monument bridge from this angle :)

facebook_1528318693915.jpg

So it's definitely had some pretty extensive remodeling into the current shape - with its flat roof.

This policeman related story reminded me of an incident a very good friend of mine told me about which happened in the late 1960s. Not similar stories but policeman related!

My friend was a police officer for around 25 years but before he joined the force he was in the RAF for a couple of years. He was posted to a RAF base in Wales and, at the time he happened to have an aunt who lived a few miles from the base. His aunt had recently lost her husband who was the brother of his late Father and had always spoilt him as a child as my friend had lost his Father quite young, so he was always a favourite of his uncle.

One weekend he had a 48 hour pass and so he and a friend on the base decided to visit his aunt and stay overnight to get a comfy bed for a change!

They spent a pleasant day there and when time for bed they both shared the spare room which had two single beds at right angles to each other. In the early hours my friend woke suddenly and saw his uncle sitting at the foot of his bed smiling at him -he said he looked solid but quickly faded away. Naturally my friend was pretty shocked but put it down to waking mid dream or something and eventually went back to sleep.

He obviously didn't mention anything to his aunt so as not to upset her and after breakfast they headed back to base.

During the drive back he asked his friend if he had slept alright as he was pretty quiet whereupon his friend said that he had woke in the night and thought he saw someone sitting on the foot of my friends bed but when he sat up there was nothing there. Needless to say it had taken him a while to get back to sleep!

My friend passed away a few years ago now and told me the story out of the blue once as he had no interest in ghosts whatever and also said that when he told his friend of his similar experience his friend didn't ever believe him and thought he was winding him up!

That's a good suggestion. I've had every type of migraine going and can easily see how a sudden attack could give that effect.

These days I just get the odd bit of temporary blindness and a bit of the lights business. It's easily bearable but can come on suddenly. If I didn't know what it was (as with my first attack of patch-blindness) it'd be very unsettling.

Back