• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cables From The Sky

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
I read an account some years ago of mysterious cables which
dangled from the sky. Unfortunately I made no notes at the time
and could never find anything on the Web.

Now my original source has reappeared. It was the Bord's* book
Modern Mysteries of the World, 1989.

Three cases are cited, all in America in the seventies:
1: Caldwell, New Jersey, August 1970;
2: Elberton, Georgia, mid-June, 1972;
3: Greensburg, Ohio, September, 1978.

All the cases seem to have been drawn from a magazine called
Pursuit.

Does anyone know of any other references to this very curious
Fortean phenomenon? :confused:

edit 8th November, 2007. Bords' not Bord's, Whitehead, you young fool!

Now that is lucky... just a few hours ago i was talking to one of my friends...

Did you know that it's been claimed that we now have the technology to create elevators into space....

He then went on to explain how they can attach (extremely) long cables from orbiting satelites which can run lifts.

So... i have no idea why anyone would create this then keep it a secret... or what there doing hanging in the areas stated but I think this would be a good place to start to research this.

I think I have the same Bord book as you, except here it's called UNEXPLAINED MYSTERIES OF THE 20TH CENTURY, 1989.

After the Caldwell cable was examined, it was found to be nylon. The lines were hollow, but when they were placed in a vacuum jar, they became filled with a unidentified substance.

I wonder what that's all about?

hmm... i'm a little confused about this case. Can you tell me what was actually suppose to of happened?

Basically, people found long strings of cable hanging in the sky going up to invisibility. One person pulled 1000 feet of cable in before it snapped. It's suggested they might have been kites, but no one saw any kite nor where the cable's other end stopped.

Probably not space elevators, Adam, since these would only be posible on the equator. (If at all...)

Skyhooks, obviously. Or, whilst I'm feeling particularly Fortean, how about this; something was fishing?

Any unexplained disappearances in the area?

He then went on to explain how they can attach (extremely) long cables from orbiting satelites which can run lifts.

Arthur C. Clarke wrote a story about this called the fountains of paradise and it's mentioned here

mmm, about 5 years ago when I was at university in Aberystwyth, Wales, I remember one day in the summer when i was outside the students union and I remember seeing a very long cable suspended from the air, at the time I never thought of asking anyone else if they had seen it or could see it.
The cable itself seemed very thick, it looked around at least 15mm in diameter but couldn't have been made from a metal (or at least one we know) as it was pushed around easily by the small breeze on that day. I tried a few times to see if there was a balloon or something suspended in the air from it but couldnt see the end of the wire, I know at least once in my 1st year rumours of a light emerging from the sea in Aber but I dont remember reading anything about it in the papers, maybe something to do with the cable suspended from mid-air.

I was in Aberystwyth at University from '94-'98 and witnessed those lights that you mentioned (green flashes from the sea to the sky). I have vaguely considered posting a thread about them and other odd things in Aberystwyth (aside from my friends).

Anyway, if you can get me any more information to narrow it down I can ask around as I am still in close contact with my friends who studied there both at the time and now.

Could easily be a piece of "art" as we had several notorious examples from the time, such as the polyester fabric coloured tubes attached to high powered fans which would whip around like tentacles. Or the bell tower, which only in the late half of my third year, I found out was supposed to be based on the design of a craft knife. WHY!?!

Something is very, very odd about that place.

Sorry I can't be of more help yet.

The Aberystwyth case is interesting and quite new to me - sounds
very like the American cases, though some of those relate how
people tried to reel in the lines for hours. Quite what they would have
brought down to earth, God alone knows! But in each case the lines
broke:-(

I was hoping someone might have heard of the US magazine Pursuit,
which might cast some light on how seriously to take the phenomenon.

My guess is that it is either something akin to Fate magazine or - more
likely - a UFO-zine with a tiny readership. :confused:

not quite on topic but the mention above of fishing reminded me of a quote i came across recently which said that our current method of studying life in the oceans is equivalent to studying land-based life by sitting in the clouds with a butterfly net.

These events are chronicled in the Bords' book "Unexplaind Mysteries of the 20th Century," which I have sitting on my kitchen table right now. I'll work on getting the info about this copied to this thread.

(edit: Well, someone already mentioned this book, but I'll still try and type it in anyway.)

Spelling mistakes mine:

...Also unlikely to be spiders' webs were the strange lines which stretched up into the sky in three American locations in the 1970s: Caldwell, New Jersey, in August 1970, Elberton, Gerogia, in m,id-June 1972, and Greensburg, Ohio, in Spetember 1978. Several lines or wires were hanging from the sky over Caldwell, in actual fact stretched taut at angles between 30 and 50 degrees to ground level. The reports published in /Pursuit/ give the relevant facts, and we quote:

"Neither the upper nor the lower ends were ever seen, or located,m even when they finally fell. They just came out of the sky from, apparently, down low at one end, and went up overhead amnd then on up into the sky to a point of invisibility, even when traced with binoculars. In one case the line remained taut for a months, through several severe electrical storms and several other days of high winds. Then, for no apparent reason, one 'end' of the line gave way and a pile of the stuff was found in a front yard. The owners pulled in a large amount, but the line snapped farther up and the upper end remained invisible. In another case, four boys spent /one hour/ hauling in a line which had dropper during the night; again, this snagged and broke before the entire line could be pulled in. And in all cases, when the line fell it immediately curled up, just as did the nylon fishing lines on 2" spools, bought by us for comparison."

No pattern could be discerned in the distribution of the lines, and despite numerous effort, no ends could be found. Some of the material retrieved was analysed by the DuPont Company "who stated that it was chemically a type 6 Nylon (caprolactam) or possibly a copolymer such as type 6 and type 66, but that it was not of their manufacture." A sample was also analysed by a Dr. Vargas at Rhode Island University, where another mystery developed. "These lines had a fine hollow tube running through their length. When Dr. Vargas first examined the specimens this was empty, but after a time in a vacuum jar he ound to his amazement that this tube was filled with some other solid substance, and this defied analysis as far as we can make out."

Two years later, a similar line, single this time, was seen at Elberton, Georgia. Newspaperman Herbert Wilcox was alerted by the initial witnesses, and he went over to see the thing for himself.

"By the time I got there, the sun had come up and the moon had gone down, but the line was still mounting the sky and shimmering in the light of the early morning sun as far as the eye could see. An earthly guess was that it might be a kite string. If so, it was the longest and fanciest kite string ever seen around here. Besides, there was no kite in sight to hold it way up in the air. Another guess was that it was some sort of hot line laid out by a plane, or maybe a parachute had disintegrated way up yonder and that this was what was left of it. This still didn't explain how it managed to stay up there. During the day, Eddie Boswell (...) got on the roof, where the line was at its lowest point. He pulled in yards and yards of it but never saw a thing to indicate what it had been fastened to. There were two kinds of material in the line. That pulled from the west was a fluffy, whiny, white substance. That from the east was a tiny, hard-finished green material something like a fishing line. Both were hard to break."

The third line we know of (there may be more) was seen at Greensburg, Ohio, in September 1978. A man who found it snagged on a bush behind his house began pulling it off, and had to call his neighbors in to assist. Using fishing reels, they collected 1000 feet, filling eight reels, before the line broke and floated away. It ould still be seen stretching up into the sky, and the theory again was that children had been flying a kite using fishing line. But although the explanation was invariably trotted out, no one has ever reported seeing the elusive kite, or finding anyone who had been flying it.

Bord & Bord, "Unexplained Mysteries of the 20th Century," 229-230

One of those mysteries where there just doesn't seem to be any explanation that won't shake our worldview.

Many thanks to Hachihyaku for doing all the typing I had
shirked. Now everyone can see what a strange tale this
is left dangling.

The Bords' book in its UK & US incarnations seems to be the
only widespread source to mention this phenomenon.

I will try a general search for Pursuit magazine and see if any
references are online. :rolleyes:

Well a quick Google for +"Pursuit magazine" +UFO brings up
about half a dozen references to UFO articles between 1973 and
1980. Investigation continues . . .

Thanks, Naitaka, that helps pin it down a bit. It sounds nicely Fortean
but I wonder what their journalistic standards are. :rolleyes:

I really like this story, as a story, but I'm suspicious of the fact that all the references come from the same publication, and there's no reference to the original sources. My gut feeling is this will turn out to be like that one about the guy vanishing in the middle of the field, and his voice being heard getting fainter. There'll be an original fictional source and various versions set in different places.

Besides which, if this had really happened, it would have been BIG news? Several lines remaining for months? Surely if nothing else air traffic authorities would have been involved?

I'd really like this tale to be true, and I eagerly await evidence to dampen my skepticism, but I won't hold my breath........

thread thread

As far as the skyhooks go...
how about
tethers trailing off distant weather balloons
or
secret experimental wire-guided missile systems?

just a thought

Re: thread thread

Eburacum45~ said:
As far as the skyhooks go...
how about
tethers trailing off distant weather balloons
or
secret experimental wire-guided missile systems?

just a thought

The one analysis report that stated the thread was hollow made me think of someone trying to duplicate spider-man's web spinner.

Q: how high does a weather balloon or kite need to be to not be visible from the ground?

I don't know why but this thread reminds me of a short film I once saw staring a young Ewan McGregor.

He's walking down the beach and sees a chocolate eclair. At first he tries to ignore it but in the end he picks it up and takes a bite. As he does, a giant hook catches him in the cheek and a very thick fishing line is pulled taught, dragging him into the sea. Once he has disappeared below the waves, another eclair is thrown from the sea and lands on the beach.

This quite a nice short film...

dangle.jpg

Dangle

Interestingly (or not - it's up to you!), I'm currently reading Gradisil by Adam Roberts, in which the author describes a late 21st century community of space-dwellers, who have chosen to forsake life on Earth for an existence in orbit.

These inhabitants of the so-called "Uplands" start off basic, having to pay to haul themselves, the tin cans they live in, and all their food, water and air into orbit by whatever means they can. But then someone discovers that air, at least, may not be such a problem. By dangling incredibly long tubes beneath their homes, they can actually draw up air from the Earth's atmosphere.

Maybe Roberts is on to something, and these cables are the breathing tubes of some eccentric millionaire space-dwellers? It would certainly explain why the tops of the lines are not visible. Maybe the lines which fall to Earth have become detached from their satellites, perhaps sliced in two by a passing airliner?

Of course, for the lines to appear fixed in place, any orbiting object to which they are fixed would have to be in geostationary orbit, tens of thousands of kilometres above the equator, and I'm prepared to accept that that's a little far-fetched!

Good book, though - like all clever hard Sci-Fi, it does make you think "Mmm... I wonder...".

iirc wasnt carbon60 needed to make spaceelevators/hooks possible?

if so someones found a way to manufature diamond like rope,in itself amazing

Strange "Cords" From The Sky....help

Well, I'm not sure where I found the stories, but does anyone know about strange cables or ropes hanging down from the sky?

I think the origins are around the early 1900's, but I'm not sure. At one point I had found several stories archived online about cables, dangling from a point no one could see.

In one story, they were within reach of someone's rooftop and when they were pulled on, they (at least one) snapped.

I can't find the stories for the life of me. Any links would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has any other info about these, please post here.

Thanks, all. This is only one more completely bizarre thing to add to my personal archives of strangeness.

Perfect! The Good Folk of the forum have done it again! Thanks, Professor!

Yes, those are the exact accounts I am referring to, though I've not heard of "Pursuit". Likely this is another case of internet plaguerism (sp?) as the account mentioned in the thread is almost exactly like what I had read.

(Incidentally, I did not even bother to search the forum as I thought I was simply bonkers and such a thing did not exist.)

Alright, we're doing so well here, did anyone read a news excerpt in the last 3 weeks about crows/ravens attacking and killing baby pigs/sheep/goats/ something??

At any rate, now that I know I wasn't dreaming cables from the sky, I'll keep checking out all kinds of sources and see if I can't dig up some more info....

Thanks, again, Prof.!

From page one:

hachihyaku said:
Spelling mistakes mine:
In one case the line remained taut for a months, through several severe electrical storms and several other days of high winds. Then, for no apparent reason, one 'end' of the line gave way and a pile of the stuff was found in a front yard.

Ok, just another nutty, clutching at straws, 'tin foil hat' idea. :D What about a government created weather manipulating machine. I've heard conspiracy theories about it for years but haven't actually read up on the subject, if indeed there is anything to read.?
The ability to manipulate the weather though? What government wouldn't want that kind of weapon?! Maybe they were trying a few things out?
It's just the electrical storms and high winds jogged my mind in that way.
Ok, tin foil hat moment over. :)

Back