• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Cars Found Parked & Locked In Odd Locations

Posts on this incident moved to their own thread here from the irrelevant thread to which they were originally posted.

I sometimes go past a shipping container yard where there is a car on top of one of the containers.

If it's not a practical joke, which seems unlikely as its been there a while (if it's the same car) maybe one of the workers parks it up there with a forklift to keep it out of the way!!

I never know where to put things. I hadn’t seen the full title when I’d posted it. Thanks for moving it.

A general tip ...

If you can't find an obviously relevant thread in which to post a new item, feel free to post it as the starter (OP; Original Post) for a new thread.

Merging a free-standing thread into another, larger relevant one (if warranted) is less of a hassle than extricating it from within an irrelevant one.

I sometimes go past a shipping container yard where there is a car on top of one of the containers.

If it's not a practical joke, which seems unlikely as its been there a while (if it's the same car) maybe one of the workers parks it up there with a forklift to keep it out of the way!!
Is it always in exactly the same position on top of the container?

Hmm that is odd. They were all found 'locked and secure' but it doesn't mention where the keys were... back at the respective owners houses in the normal place they would expect their keys to be? Shoved through the letterboxes?

My guess would be a prank, a 'meme' by the yooths perhaps... but we don't have much info in the article to go on.

When I saw the pictures in the article, the first thing that came into my mind was that episode of The New Avengers where there is some chemical sprayed over London which makes people go to sleep while the baddies rob banks. Throughout the episode there were cars just stopped randomly all over the place, with their drivers fast asleep.

Which is not the explanation in this case I know, it's just where my brain went to. :)

They're all relatively small cars. Assuming they don't have movement-triggered alarms, it would be relatively easy for a group of fairly fit and determined people to bounce-lift-roll them along the road. Curious to know if any of them had their handbrakes on while parked.

Incidentally, there's a building in town with a ride-on mower on its roof. (Yes, it's a shop that sells them)

Mower.jpg

I worked once in a factory where one salesman persisted in parking in the way of the loading dock. Finally Willie the Welder forklifted his (restored 60's vintage) car to the other end of the lot. Where it sat while he frantically looked for it and everyone shrugged.

Presumably the first thing the police would have done is contact the registered keepers to ask for an explanation. It’s a pity the outcome of this isn’t reported rather than just a few lame quotes from Twitter that passes for journalism these days.

Bit of a landmark visible out of the train window on the final approach into Bradford Interchange. I've never been in the pub, though, and I've no idea why the car is where it is.

View attachment 23476

There‘s one on a junkyard you see from the train on the way to London too. That one is a pretty old style one I seem to remember.

One foggy night and you can tell how long ago it is by the car being a RAF owned
Hillman Husky, I came across said car, it was at 45% across the middle of the road
though both front doors were open, no one in sight, it was outside a Ministry
of Defence establishment, after looking and shouting with no one turning up
I approached the guard post only to find that empty as well, pushed it out of the way
and to be honest it felt spooky so I buggered off.

One foggy night and you can tell how long ago it is by the car being a RAF owned
Hillman Husky, I came across said car, it was at 45% across the middle of the road
I approached the guard post only to find that empty as well, pushed it out of the way

Well, there's the opening to a UFO abduction/zombie/plague/werewolf film, right there.

Presumably the first thing the police would have done is contact the registered keepers to ask for an explanation. It’s a pity the outcome of this isn’t reported rather than just a few lame quotes from Twitter that passes for journalism these days.

What if they did and couldn’t locate them. *gets quill again*

You definitely stumbled into a scene from the Avengers there RaM.

It was a bit unnerving with the car no other traffic and fog swirling about,
why it would be abandoned right outside the main gates pointing inwards.
I don't know never heard a thing about it but we didn't have the tinterweb then.

Every single time I run down the new posts topics I read this as "Cats Found Parked..." Shows what's more important in my world. But really, how do you park a cat?

Back