• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

CGI Guy in Manchester

henry

still speeding
this was a weird one ... happened monday / tuesday last week i think ... i was walking home with my fortean apprentice from after-school club and we were at a busy corner crossing in manchester ( in fact here ) when a short and stocky guy passed us ... he was remarkable in that his face was exactly like a CGI human face from shrek puss in boots etc etc ... he looked kind of mediterranean but with thick short dark russet coloured hair and stubble ... his complexion was also kind of red and he was in all a perfectly rendered CGI henchman ! i stopped as soon as he had passed and talked about him with my 8 yr old FT reader ... we watched him walk to the corner cross swan street and amble off ... i even felt his stance and gait was a little too screen-accurate for my tastes

i was reminded of the threads concerning humans trying hard to look human and not quite making it ... it was a definite odd moment ... morseso certainly that my subterranean car park phantom ( which has not recurred )

i really wanted to stop him and engage with him but no chance in that situation ...

I do a lot of 3D modeling and something we talk about often in terms of texturing our models is "adding history" to them.

That is to say that if something looks too perfect, it's a dead give-away that it's cg and our brains interpret it as fake or a "representation", as opposed to something real.

A coffer table or desk, for instance, will have wear marks, maybe a coffee stain, etc.

I wonder if this man was lacking "texture", for lack of a better word?

It's an odd question, to be sure, but could this man have been wearing make-up or lots of concealer or something to make him look fake/cg?

Obviously, not having seen him, I can't say for sure, and if I'm way off the mark let me know, but it's a thought....

Ohhh another thing in a human suit story, I love these :D Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that location where something else fortean happen to your good self?

What does the young 'un think? Did she see him & think he was odd too?

Mr CGI got home that night and complained to the wife: "There was this weird guy staring at me in the street this afternoon!"

MercuryCrest said:
I wonder if this man was lacking "texture", for lack of a better word?
it was actually a case of the other way round ... his complexion stubble hair eyes the set of his face and his entire body shape seemed so congruous and designed and the features of his face had a quality which made them look more akin to a character from shrek

jack-and-jill-in-puss-in-boots.jpg

char_62701.jpg

he had an overall redness about him that looked artificial and he was extremely swarthy for a ginger ( thats with two hard g's ) in all he looked like he/d just stepped out of the odeon - which coincidentally is about 100m away from there

cherrybomb said:
Ohhh another thing in a human suit story, I love these :D Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that location where something else fortean happen to your good self?

What does the young 'un think? Did she see him & think he was odd too?
she didnt see his face ... but shes all about the strangeness ... ive posted a few fortean threads down the years all from my own bailiwick pretty much ... and in truth our lives both took an uncomfortably fortean turn for a while there but all good now ! we posted some angel meadow stuff and one in our parking garage ... my friends grass monster ( which has made the ihtm book and the magazine ) and the same guys water man - although im not sure i got around to actually posting that but i did do some legwork on it !

Maybe he's in a theatrical production and walked away still wearing the makeup?
The redness would be necessary to prevent bleaching under strong lights.

hi we have been looking out for CGI guy but alas and alack he appears to have disappeared

just to note pretty certain it wasnt make-up ... there is a lot of theatre going down in manchester and a lot of tv and film getting made on the streets ( as we speak they are filming skins redux in the apartment next to mine so there are huge giant high intensity hotter-than-the-sun-style lights on booms outside my office window ) but it was a case of this guys apparently natural colouration was just so coherently over-designed it was almost otherworldly

i hope we see him again

we ve been getting ice cream at the hotel every so often in the hope we will catch a glimpse on our way out

at least thats my excuse ...

There's a chance we're living in a holographic universe in a computer simulation. Perhaps it was just a bad rendering.
;)

Yeah, I think you bumped into Carlos Tevez.

very excited to report my annual CGI guy sighting this morning ... about 200m from the original spot and just over exactly a year later ... as i was doing the school run with fortean sidekick i saw him outside one of those pop-up 24hr booze/grocery/convenience stores ... it was about 08.50 and since he was leaning up outside drinking a cigarette and smoking a red bull i reckon he must work in there ... i drove past again on the way back but he was gone

definitely a singular looking guy with outstandingly-rendered features

he looked quite hard actually so i may struggle to get a photograph but i think we may be popping in there on the way home from school next week

HenryFort said:
very excited to report my annual CGI guy sighting this morning ... about 200m from the original spot and just over exactly a year later ... as i was doing the school run with fortean sidekick i saw him outside one of those pop-up 24hr booze/grocery/convenience stores ... it was about 08.50 and since he was leaning up outside drinking a cigarette and smoking a red bull i reckon he must work in there ... i drove past again on the way back but he was gone

definitely a singular looking guy with outstandingly-rendered features

he looked quite hard actually so i may struggle to get a photograph but i think we may be popping in there on the way home from school next week
he's definitely an alien if he's drinking a cigarette and smoking a red bull... :lol:

Good stuff! Let us know how the visit to the shop goes - maybe everyone who works there is CGI :-D

sadly not CGI ... but they are rather swarthy ... drew a blank this evening pre-after-school club ... will try a morning next week.

ive been going in regularly in an attempt to spot him and try and (ethically) source a photo ... daily this last 2 weeks as my car has been off the road ... bingo this morning he was parked right outside in a big blue van at 08.55 so i assume he does a delivery run there

would be good to get that photo and share the cgi wierdness which even through the dirty windows of his vehicle did abound

I am fascinated by this thread; I hope you do get a picture. Not that I want to feel like an ogler! I am just interested in how and why he looks like CGI.

I'm not sure about taking pictures of people without their knowledge then posting the results on the internet. Is it legal?

Yes, although it may be morally and ethically dodgy AND could bring about a knuckle butty.

It's the ethics that bother me, as well as the potential for a punch up the throat.

i have been mulling over a pretext for the photo ... i did have a plan to ask him his permission first on basis fortean apprentice is doing a project for hogwarts on local characters ... a photo essay ... might not translate however ...

on the other hand i could just pixelate his features to protect his identity

He'll really look CGI then! :lol:

if he's consenting then fair enough, but I have to say I wouldn't personally do it otherwise... and in fact have previously turned down requests for same on a local character I sometimes refer to as the roosterman.

If you could find out his name, he may have facebook account or something with a profile photo attached.

I didn't mean to sound rude; as if the poor man is some kind of freak show. I suppose I was thinking more of that threat about people wearing 'human suits' and the possible 'alien' connection.

You don't think he has had the kind of plastic surgery that make the face look very 'sculpted' do you? I don't mean the plastic surgery disasters; this type seems to aim to make the person look almost robotic in perfection.

Cut a hole in your shirt pocket. Put your mobile phone there and set it to take a lot of photos automatically. Remember to turn of the flash. :D

the closest I can come in words is the "shrek henchman" description ... I fear a photograph will have to be obtained ...

"Excuse me, can I take your photograph to show people on the internet how weird you look?"

Back