• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Children's Encounter With Odd Humanoid (Isle Of Wight; May 1973)

I just read the Isle of Wight is the most visited place in England.

Gay Baldwin in the 1970s wrote a series of books called the Ghosts of Wight calling Wight the most haunted place in the world.

People flock to the following places in search of ghosts:

Hare and Hounds
Arreton Manor
Knighton Gorges
Whitecroft
Ventnor Gardens
Golden Hill Fort

Wight sounds very mysterious ?

Lewis Carroll, Winston Churchill, Charles Darwin, Charles Dickens among the many who stayed on the island long periods of time.
The Gay Baldwin books are great, I recommend them.

I love the Isle of Wight, and it is surprising how wild it can seem when you're up on the downs, it's like another world, and always that feeling of being off the mainland, and away from your troubles for a little while.

I would imagine that most experiences are edited in our memories, never mind Fortean ones!

It may be just be that this case is filtered through a different set of cultural expectations - those of a 7 year old. Plus of course the additional 'filter' provided by the father, who passed on the story and seems to have been a UFO 'experiencer' of sorts.

As with many of these type of experiences the logic seems to be more that of dreams, rather than anything else. The really puzzling bit are the details like the "wooden slats". Why would you invent these? The only thing they possibly bring to mind are the straw emerging at the wrists and ankles of the Wizard of Oz scarecrow.
The Wizard of Oz scarecrow is a good shout, I had thought of Worzel Gummidge. Of note also is the way Sam was described walking in a hopping motion with his knees up high, does this accord with any children's tv character of the that period? The microphone and cord might suggest memories of a trip to the circus in which clowns featured and used such equipment to address the crowd. One argument is always that the humanoid was simply too alien for this young child to comprehend and so she drew on memories and from her subconscious. This would also explain why the young boy was unable to explain what had happened to them beyond confirming it was true.

The workmen close by interest me as there is a long history of UFO occupants being witnessed engaging in menial tasks outside of their landed craft. The island would have been a tight knit community back then - and still is away from the main tourist hotspots - and so I am surprised we haven't heard anything more about them.

As regards the father and his previous and quite intriguing UFO and eyes-under-the-sea experiences then this also follows a pattern of families having paranormal events occur to them over a period of time, for example the Coombs family of Ripperstone farm (Welsh Triangle). Indeed, one of the major criticisms levelled against the self-styled UFO researchers of that period was their unwillingness to embrace the high strangeness such as poltergeist activity that accompanied UFO reports and often plagued the families involved over a long period of time. This was certainly true of the Coombs family and probably tells us more about the truth at the heart of the goings-on than the fleeting glimpses of flying discs entering the sea etc.

Beside special, magical, sentient creatures running around the Isle of Wight, there are numerous ghosts.

The Old Royal National Hospital was attached to the Ventnor Botanical Gardens where thousands of people died from tuberculosis.

The massive building was torn down in 1969, but be brave to walk the gardens as many people claim dead patients and phantom nurses are walking through the gardens with you.

I will never see this Isle, but it sounds interesting to visit.
I have friends who were born there and say it's pretty much like any other British seaside holiday destination, but away from the coast the countryside is nice and still quite rural. But then, that's a greater part of Britain anyway.

Pretty sure I read of a time slip on the island back in the 1970s (when else?). Apparently a couple drove up onto a field that was a viewpoint or something similar and immediately witnessed a roman army encampment that then faded before their eyes, can anyone find a source for this...?

I'm just skimming this thread for the first time, and will read it more carefully later. In the meantime, I'd like to speculate a bit about the perceptions of children, and about adults recalling childhood experiences.

When I was young - maybe 12 or 13 - my mother and aunt told me that when they were young they saw fairies dancing at the foot of their bed. They were quite insistent that they saw this, but didn't provide much detail. I'm sure something happened to them, but I'm not sure what. When I brought it up a few years later, they were more dismissive, saying they must have fantasized the event.

So, as others have said, children will color their experiences based on their world view. My mother and aunt interpreted their experience as fairies, and the Isle of Wight kids saw something they described as much like a clown, but we tend to think these can't be objectively accurate descriptions. Were ether of these events something that could even be experienced by others, especially adults, even if that experience would differ - on a phenomenological level - from what the children experienced? The mention of the two workmen on the Isle of Wight suggests the answer is no.

It's true that human brains get "rewired" a few times as we grow up. The skills required by an infant just discovering the world are different from those of a 5 or 6 year old beginning to adapt to more formal learning, and different still from those required of an adult. There are times I think children can see and hear things that we just can't - like that feeling you get when your cat stares at an empty spot in the corner as if something is going on there. It's not that we are totally incapable of perceiving these things, it's just that we tune out those things that don't fit in with the needs of adult life. (My wife tells me that several times in her adult life she has perceived extra-dimensional "shadow people" walking through walls and such - although this is probably no more accurate than the fairy or clown perceptions.)

Unfortunately, when we do adapt to the adult world, I think we start filtering our memories as well, and the filtering gets stronger with time. The memories of the fairies were still relatively "real" to my mother and aunt when they first told me about it, but a few years later their logical adult minds had helped to rewrite that a bit. If the Isle of Wight children are still alive, I would not be surprised if their recollections were less spectacular than their original story.

One other thought: I wonder if the adaptation to adult life is also an adaptation to contemporary life. There are several films I saw in my college days that I thought were quite accessible and logical, but now find slightly more perplexing. (Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast and Murnau's Sunrise are examples.) I think as we move further away from the time in which certain works are produced, we also move away from the shared body of understanding that allows them to speak to us.

The Wizard of Oz scarecrow is a good shout, I had thought of Worzel Gummidge. Of note also is the way Sam was described walking in a hopping motion with his knees up high, does this accord with any children's tv character of the that period? The microphone and cord might suggest memories of a trip to the circus in which clowns featured and used such equipment to address the crowd. One argument is always that the humanoid was simply too alien for this young child to comprehend and so she drew on memories and from her subconscious. This would also explain why the young boy was unable to explain what had happened to them beyond confirming it was true.

The workmen close by interest me as there is a long history of UFO occupants being witnessed engaging in menial tasks outside of their landed craft. The island would have been a tight knit community back then - and still is away from the main tourist hotspots - and so I am surprised we haven't heard anything more about them.

As regards the father and his previous and quite intriguing UFO and eyes-under-the-sea experiences then this also follows a pattern of families having paranormal events occur to them over a period of time, for example the Coombs family of Ripperstone farm (Welsh Triangle). Indeed, one of the major criticisms levelled against the self-styled UFO researchers of that period was their unwillingness to embrace the high strangeness such as poltergeist activity that accompanied UFO reports and often plagued the families involved over a long period of time. This was certainly true of the Coombs family and probably tells us more about the truth at the heart of the goings-on than the fleeting glimpses of flying discs entering the sea etc.

There's another piece of the cultural framework worth considering. In children's literature there was a trope of a child or group of children meeting a person or creature who for some reason lived hidden away from the 'adult' world - Stig of the Dump is a classic, but it extends even into films such as 'Whistle Down the Wind' or 'Friend or Foe' in various ways.

There's another piece of the cultural framework worth considering. In children's literature there was a trope of a child or group of children meeting a person or creature who for some reason lived hidden away from the 'adult' world - Stig of the Dump is a classic, but it extends even into films such as 'Whistle Down the Wind' or 'Friend or Foe' in various ways.

That's a very good point, even everyday encounters with ordinary folks get described in pop culture terms, so it shouldn't be surprising a certain wish fulfilment enters into the fantastical, based on popular fiction.

The description of this entity always reminded me of the kind of play sets you could buy in the 70s with brightly coloured geometrical wooden shapes that you nailed into a cork board (never owned one myself but this is my recollection of such sets.). Or maybe the kind of picture you could make with Fuzzy Felt.

The Little Blue Man, the Wollaton Park Gnomes, the Isle of Wight clown, the Welsh Triangle UFO children (not just the school UFO), Gaynor Sutherland's UFO humanoids... So much high strangeness the young children of the 70s used to experience whilst out and about on their own and unaccompanied by adults. Sadly we live in a world where young children no longer roam free in our fields and lanes and so we are unlikely to ever see more such cases in the future

Definitely a Fuzzy Felt quality there!

Modern retellings seem often to describe the figure as a 'clown', but I note the children didn't actually use this term themselves and it strikes me that they would have done so if this was the immediate impression they got. This seems to be an adult interposition in what the children were describing.

Instead they described it as a "ghost" to the first person they saw (as well as asking it if it was, in fact, a ghost) - this is despite the very unghostlike solidity of the 'hut' etc. The father of course seems to have seen it as UFO related, and the presentation of the case via BUFORA adds another layer of interpretation. It's a great shame that the witness has never come forward - like the Wollaton gnomes witnesses, the fact that they haven't at any point does tend to suggest they may now consider the story a childish game.

The Little Blue Man, the Wollaton Park Gnomes, the Isle of Wight clown, the Welsh Triangle UFO children (not just the school UFO), Gaynor Sutherland's UFO humanoids... So much high strangeness the young children of the 70s used to experience whilst out and about on their own and unaccompanied by adults. Sadly we live in a world where young children no longer roam free in our fields and lanes and so we are unlikely to ever see more such cases in the future

As I think I mentioned elsewhere, stuff like the gnomes always reminds me of the sort of playground 'traditions' that I remember being passed round at my primary school: stories of odd, fantastical or scary things seen or heard by classmates' friends or siblings, and which were simultaneously treated with complete seriousness even as we understood they were not true.

Definitely a Fuzzy Felt quality there!

Modern retellings seem often to describe the figure as a 'clown', but I note the children didn't actually use this term themselves and it strikes me that they would have done so if this was the immediate impression they got. This seems to be an adult interposition in what the children were describing.

Instead they described it as a "ghost" to the first person they saw (as well as asking it if it was, in fact, a ghost) - this is despite the very unghostlike solidity of the 'hut' etc. The father of course seems to have seen it as UFO related, and the presentation of the case via BUFORA adds another layer of interpretation. It's a great shame that the witness has never come forward - like the Wollaton gnomes witnesses, the fact that they haven't at any point does tend to suggest they may now consider the story a childish game.
A good point re a clown, and a trap I fell into earlier in the thread.

Perhaps "all colours [Sam]" relates to creating a fuzzy felt character using all the colours available? Also, the writing down of "all colours Sam" might relate to a parent or the child herself writing the names of the fuzzy felt characters next to their creation?

Attached some images of 1970s fuzzy felt

https://picclick.co.uk/Vintage-FUZZY-FELT-Sets-x-4-Lots-of-284373813322.html

If you look in the bottom left corner there appears to be a Wollaton Park gnome car...

Attachments

• Vintage-FUZZY-FELT-Sets-x-4-Lots-of.jpg
    Vintage-FUZZY-FELT-Sets-x-4-Lots-of.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 31
Incidentally, has the Gaynor Sutherland case ever been discussed on this forum? I did a quick search but no results. Here are some basic details:

"OUT OF THIS WORLD

MANY people, known as contactees, reckon they are visited regularly by aliens on their jaunts to our corner of the universe. But for one young girl from Flintshire, frequent visits from space travellers resulted in the chance-of-a-lifetime trip to visit their home planet.

Gaynor Sutherland, from Oakenholt, claimed she was taken on the journey by aliens she had met when she was nine. In 1976 Gaynor was playing in fields near her home when a flying saucer landed nearby. Two figures, which she supposed were male and female, emerged from the ship and began to carry out what appeared to be scientific tests on the ground.

The aliens continued to make contact with the Sutherland family over the next few years and at times Gaynor seemed to be possessed by the visitors and unable to control her own actions. The girl's claims were backed up by her family, who all gave matching descriptions of the aliens"

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/is-anybody-out-there-2940957

This was a case that BUFORA and also forum member Jenny Randles became involved with and Jenny wrote about in "Alien Contact" that she co-authored with Paul Whetnall (1981):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alien-Contact-Window-Another-World/dp/0854354441

I am wondering if it was some eccentric person who had some sort of metal detector or something the children might not have understood. Plenty of folks wear all sorts of funny clothing combinations....The conversation sounds like something an eccentric human might say to a child - humouring them and challenging them in a fun way to describe them.....Someone used to hearing odd descriptions of themselves perhaps....and appreciative of children's imagination/use of language.....

I am wondering if it was some eccentric person who had some sort of metal detector or something the children might not have understood. Plenty of folks wear all sorts of funny clothing combinations....The conversation sounds like something an eccentric human might say to a child - humouring them and challenging them in a fun way to describe them.....Someone used to hearing odd descriptions of themselves perhaps....and appreciative of children's imagination/use of language.....

I was also thinking they might have run into an eccentrically dressed person living rough in the area. I've not seen people dressed quite that strangely but a child's interpretation of what they saw might well have been in some way exaggerated. The phrase given by the figure in response to the question if he was a ghost - "not really, but I am in an odd sort of way" - to me suggests someone who had severed ties with society, reflecting on the fact that yes, in an odd sort of way he really was a ghost.

Probably the oddest one of these corroborated-by-children cases has to be Cynthia Appleton, a classic 'contactee' whose daughter confirmed that she remembered "Mummy bathing the hand of a man with funny long hair".
Hmmm.... I imagine our later discovery that no life can exist on Venus cast some doubt on her 'Venus baby' story...?

Also, our puny earth rockets do indeed take off vertically but then soon turn and travel horizontally:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-do-rockets-turn-horizontally-so-soon-after-launch.944870/

So someone messed up on their homework there...

I call :bs: on this one

I was also thinking they might have run into an eccentrically dressed person living rough in the area. I've not seen people dressed quite that strangely but a child's interpretation of what they saw might well have been in some way exaggerated. The phrase given by the figure in response to the question if he was a ghost - "not really, but I am in an odd sort of way" - to me suggests someone who had severed ties with society, reflecting on the fact that yes, in an odd sort of way he really was a ghost.
Good point. Okay, some straw-clutching follows:

"I'm all colours Sam" -> "I'm 'n alcoholic man"...?

If you slur it the phonetics are similar, but a child would not understand 'alcoholic' and so maybe grasp at a similar sounding and familiar phrase...?

A long shot on the IoW entity: maybe he was an ex serviceman who had returned home with facial disfigurement (as so many sadly did) and had to wear a mask - this would explain the odd, indistinct speech and the facial features. He might even have lost fingers. The transition back into civvy society after WWII or Korea was very hard for many - some took to living rough and did indeed become "ghosts, in an odd sort of way". The Royal Naval Hospital at Haslar wasn't too far away from the IoW and the whole area has a strong naval presence.

He may have been begging locally hence the initial communication via handwritten sign

A long shot on the IoW entity: maybe he was an ex serviceman who had returned home with facial disfigurement (as so many sadly did) and had to wear a mask - this would explain the odd, indistinct speech and the facial features. He might even have lost fingers. The transition back into civvy society after WWII or Korea was very hard for many - some took to living rough and did indeed become "ghosts, in an odd sort of way". The Royal Naval Hospital at Haslar wasn't too far away from the IoW and the whole area has a strong naval presence.

He may have been begging locally hence the initial communication via handwritten sign
I think that is a very good long shot. It would explain why the two workmen took no notice, too. However, the landowner may have moved him and his hut on, or even offered a better place to stay the following day.

"Wooden slats" for legs...?

WW2 wooden leg splints:

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/483088

"Leg splint 1942​

Charles Eames American

During World War II, the U.S. Navy called upon Charles and Ray Eames to create a lightweight, inexpensive leg splint. The resulting highly sculptural yet functional, modular device could be mass-produced and conveniently transported. Access to military technology and manufacturing facilities allowed the Eameses to perfect the plywood-molding technique they had been working on for several years. The splint’s biomorphic form suggests the couple’s subsequent influential plywood furniture designs."

Attachments

• 1986-99-43.jpeg
    1986-99-43.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Perhaps this guy was a radio operator either on a Navy/merhant ship or out in the battlefield, hence his wallpaper with 'dials' on it, the reported ariels and the microphone? So many ex-service personnel clung to mementoes of their war years. To be honest it sounds like the guy had suffered severe frostbite, so maybe sailed on the Artic convoys like my grandfather?

Perhaps this guy was a radio operator either on a Navy/merhant ship or out in the battlefield, hence his wallpaper with 'dials' on it, the reported ariels and the microphone? So many ex-service personnel clung to mementoes of their war years. To be honest it sounds like the guy had suffered severe frostbite, so maybe sailed on the Artic convoys like my grandfather?

Could be - or burns, another hazard in the confined environment of a ship. They would explain the pale skin, immobile mouth, and possibly the 'sparse hair' revealed when the guy took his hat off.

It all puts a potentially different complexion on the experience, eg the odd business with the berries may have simply been a simple bit of conjuring for the children by a man glad of any sympathetic company.

Could be - or burns, another hazard in the confined environment of a ship. They would explain the pale skin, immobile mouth, and possibly the 'sparse hair' revealed when the guy took his hat off.

It all puts a potentially different complexion on the experience, eg the odd business with the berries may have simply been a simple bit of conjuring for the children by a man glad of any sympathetic company.
Yes, burns are more likely and of course Sam worse gloves. Exactly the kind of trick a seaman would have learnt whilst whiling away the hours onboard or perhaps in the bars whilst on shore leave, there was precious little else to do

He would also have been taught how to sterilise river water in the forces, either with chlorine tablets or by boiling

Well, his hut didn't take off or land and there was no 'spacemen' behaviour so it seems just a rather sad story of a war veteran rejected by society. perhaps he would have liked the idea that these children would immortalise him in a small way

Yes, burns are more likely and of course Sam worse gloves. Exactly the kind of trick a seaman would have learnt whilst whiling away the hours onboard or perhaps in the bars whilst on shore leave, there was precious little else to do

I get a feeling he might have been gently teasing the children with his responses, eg the claim he'd "just made" the hut, and they took it literally (or perhaps he meant "just finished" it). The hut sounds a bit like an an abandoned shepherds hut or similar (lots of these lying around in fields before they became very fashionable/ expensive a few years back!) or an old railway van body used as a shed (again these were once very common).

He would also have been taught how to sterilise river water in the forces, either with chlorine tablets or by boiling

Well, his hut didn't take off or land and there was no 'spacemen' behaviour so it seems just a rather sad story of a war veteran rejected by society. perhaps he would have liked the idea that these children would immortalise him in a small way

I think so. More to the point, as 'Sam' is unlikely to have come across the BUFORA magazine in his itinerant life, he wouldn't have realised how he had been perceived so would never have corrected it!

I get a feeling he might have been gently teasing the children with his responses, eg the claim he'd "just made" the hut, and they took it literally (or perhaps he meant "just finished" it). The hut sounds a bit like an an abandoned shepherds hut or similar (lots of these lying around in fields before they became very fashionable/ expensive a few years back!) or an old railway van body used as a shed (again these were once very common).
It was actually quite a period of time (weeks) before the father investigated the site, so plenty of time for him to move on/be moved on

Reactions: BS3
I've been trawling websites about Royal Navy slang to see if "all colours" has a meaning but no luck yet

The only obvious thing I can think of is the army ( and Marines) rank "Colour Sergeant". Maybe if written "colour sgt"?

One other thing is people seem to assume that a "green tunic" meant something bright, but who's to say the kids weren't describing khaki? Someone with access to war surplus or with military charity connections might conceivably have been wearing a khaki tunic.

The only obvious thing I can think of is the army ( and Marines) rank "Colour Sergeant". Maybe if written "colour sgt"?
Interesting, especially as the words were apparently in a bit of a random order. Just re-reading the BUFORA report and Sam states he has a 'camp" he goes to on the mainland, could this be some sort of medical set-up at Portsmouth naval base?

Back