• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Clowns: Evil Or Funny?

Clowns: Evil or funny?

• Clowns are evil and out to get you

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • Clowns are funny and out to entertain you

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Clowns are sad blokes trying to make a living

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • Clowns are a national institution - how dare you imply that they are sinister in any way

Votes: 4 5.2%

• Total voters
'Killer clown' stalking village weeks before Halloween leaving residents terrified

A person dressed as a 'killer clown' is stalking the streets of a sleepy village, leaving locals terrified.

The creepy character, wearing a Pennywise-style outfit - complete with scary mask and make-up - even leaves red balloons dotted around the village of Skelmorlie in North Ayrshire, Scotland. Wearing white gloves and a lace collar, as well as a top fastened with big red fluffy buttons, the clown has left the 2,000 locals in fear.

1_PAY-KILLER-CLOWN2jpeg.jpg

In the past week, a Facebook account set up by the clown - calling himself Cole Deimos - posted images of himself in the darkened streets of the village - and creeping along on all fours over a bridge. In one image, he stares at the screen with a hideous smile on his face, while holding a red balloon.

Cole Deimos’ Facebook states that he is ‘self employed’ and studied ‘at Clown School’, and that he lives in Skelmorlie. Police are aware of the Facebook posts.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/killer-clown-stalking-village-weeks-31162973

maximus otter

'Killer clown' stalking village weeks before Halloween leaving residents terrified

A person dressed as a 'killer clown' is stalking the streets of a sleepy village, leaving locals terrified.

The creepy character, wearing a Pennywise-style outfit - complete with scary mask and make-up - even leaves red balloons dotted around the village of Skelmorlie in North Ayrshire, Scotland. Wearing white gloves and a lace collar, as well as a top fastened with big red fluffy buttons, the clown has left the 2,000 locals in fear.

1_PAY-KILLER-CLOWN2jpeg.jpg

In the past week, a Facebook account set up by the clown - calling himself Cole Deimos - posted images of himself in the darkened streets of the village - and creeping along on all fours over a bridge. In one image, he stares at the screen with a hideous smile on his face, while holding a red balloon.

Cole Deimos’ Facebook states that he is ‘self employed’ and studied ‘at Clown School’, and that he lives in Skelmorlie. Police are aware of the Facebook posts.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/killer-clown-stalking-village-weeks-31162973

maximus otter
aBr95M9Z_700w_0.jpg

This guy tips the scale to the evil side.

Employees of Broken Ground Elementary School in Concorde, New Hampshire were shocked to find that the school custodian had dressed as a creepy clown afterhours and photographed himself in various locations inside the empty building.

Apparently he was entering a "clown contest" online with a $13,000 prize and had left sticky notes requesting staff support of his entry. He stated he was hoping to win the cash to fund his independent films and also for family expenses.

From Patch.com:

More concerning, though, were comments made by the employee online. In an interview connected to the contest, the custodian was asked which movie monster he related to. He called it a hard question because "I see myself reflected in many movie monsters but for many reasons." He then pointed to Jason Vorhees, the killer in the "Friday the 13th" series.
"(He) was one for being singled out and hurt by those around me due to my differences leading to moments of anger, rage, and what I see as self-defense," he reportedly stated.
The custodian also mentioned Frankenstein's monster, saying, "I never asked to be made the way I am and most (of) my life has been pain and rejection done against me by the mad scientist that made me…broken."

According to a complaint from another custodian at the school, the creepy clown was permitted to keep his job following the school district's investigation and "continued to post photos of himself while wearing Concord School District apparel — while also holding weapons, according to pictures from social media sites."

https://boingboing.net/2023/10/25/e...phed-himself-in-the-building-after-hours.html

This guy tips the scale to the evil side.

Employees of Broken Ground Elementary School in Concorde, New Hampshire were shocked to find that the school custodian had dressed as a creepy clown afterhours and photographed himself in various locations inside the empty building.

Apparently he was entering a "clown contest" online with a $13,000 prize and had left sticky notes requesting staff support of his entry. He stated he was hoping to win the cash to fund his independent films and also for family expenses.

From Patch.com:

According to a complaint from another custodian at the school, the creepy clown was permitted to keep his job following the school district's investigation and "continued to post photos of himself while wearing Concord School District apparel — while also holding weapons, according to pictures from social media sites."

https://boingboing.net/2023/10/25/e...phed-himself-in-the-building-after-hours.html
this is actually a rather.... harmless one.

Given the number of school shootings his posts are at least threatening.
Given how at least one school shooting was stopped by the janitor capping the shooter? I dunno. 'cause when you look at those statistics... it's usually not faculty shooting the place up. heck one of the more recent incidents was a kid who went to a different school district.

Why are some people so afraid of clowns?

In what may be a first-of-its-kind study focusing on the origins of clown fear, the University of South Wales team noticed some distinct patterns in the group. The study, called “Fear of clowns: An investigation into the aetiology of coulrophobia” was published in the journal Frontiers in Psychology. While the research is not based on a representative sample of the population, the findings offer insights into the reasons some people fear clowns, Tyson said.

People said they were creeped out by clowns because:

• You can never really know what a clown is thinking. It can be difficult to know what’s really going on in the mind of a clown with a painted on smile or frown. “There’s something about not being able to read facial expressions,” Tyson said. “And the fact that there might be something hidden and dangerous, there might be harmful intent behind the makeup.”
  • Clowns are unpredictable. Clowns make some people laugh, but they often behave in unpredictable and startling ways that normal people never would (such as squirting water from a flower or honking a horn). People who are scared of spiders say something similar, worrying the spider will jump on them unexpectedly, Tyson said.
  • A clown’s exaggerated features are disturbing. The big red nose, the egg head, the puffs of neon-colored hair. People seem to be scared of beings that look nearly human but not exactly, in the same way some people find baby dolls, aliens or robots disturbing.
  • Movie clowns are terrifying. Many of those surveyed also said their fear is due, in part, to movies starring scary clowns, such as Joaquin Phoenix in “Joker” or Pennywise, the demonic clown in Stephen King’s “It.”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/why-are-some-people-so-afraid-of-clowns/ar-AA1j56ef

maximus otter

Why are some people so afraid of clowns?

In what may be a first-of-its-kind study focusing on the origins of clown fear, the University of South Wales team noticed some distinct patterns in the group. The study, called “Fear of clowns: An investigation into the aetiology of coulrophobia” was published in the journal Frontiers in Psychology. While the research is not based on a representative sample of the population, the findings offer insights into the reasons some people fear clowns, Tyson said.

People said they were creeped out by clowns because:

• You can never really know what a clown is thinking. It can be difficult to know what’s really going on in the mind of a clown with a painted on smile or frown. “There’s something about not being able to read facial expressions,” Tyson said. “And the fact that there might be something hidden and dangerous, there might be harmful intent behind the makeup.”
  • Clowns are unpredictable. Clowns make some people laugh, but they often behave in unpredictable and startling ways that normal people never would (such as squirting water from a flower or honking a horn). People who are scared of spiders say something similar, worrying the spider will jump on them unexpectedly, Tyson said.
  • A clown’s exaggerated features are disturbing. The big red nose, the egg head, the puffs of neon-colored hair. People seem to be scared of beings that look nearly human but not exactly, in the same way some people find baby dolls, aliens or robots disturbing.
  • Movie clowns are terrifying. Many of those surveyed also said their fear is due, in part, to movies starring scary clowns, such as Joaquin Phoenix in “Joker” or Pennywise, the demonic clown in Stephen King’s “It.”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/why-are-some-people-so-afraid-of-clowns/ar-AA1j56ef

maximus otter
I apologise to anyone reading who's genuinely scared of clowns but I suspect that's a minority of people. I strongly agree with the fourth bullet point about the movie clown effect. The clown doll from the film 'POLTERGEIST' should have been included in that list. Other than that, I think it's only been 'trending' for most people to say they're scared of clowns.

Given how at least one school shooting was stopped by the janitor capping the shooter? I dunno. 'cause when you look at those statistics... it's usually not faculty shooting the place up. heck one of the more recent incidents was a kid who went to a different school district.
A janitor called Joe Bowen stopped a shooter in Spokane in 2017 by wrestling him to the ground. Bare hands, Bowen didn't have a gun.

I apologise to anyone reading who's genuinely scared of clowns but I suspect that's a minority of people. I strongly agree with the fourth bullet point about the movie clown effect. The clown doll from the film 'POLTERGEIST' should have been included in that list. Other than that, I think it's only been 'trending' for most people to say they're scared of clowns.
Yup, 's'nonsense innit. Bandwagon-jumping.
I knew someone back in the '70s who went to see Jaws and afterwards claimed to have a phobia about sharks. Not something anyone need trouble themselves with in our little town, 70 miles from the open sea. :chuckle:

this is actually a rather.... harmless one.
It's potentially not harmless, considering that he was posting photos of himself
while wearing Concord School District apparel — while also holding weapons, according to pictures from social media sites.

Posting photos of himself in his work clothing on school property while holding weapons is certainly worrying.
He may even have been kept on in case sacking him pushed him over the edge and he turned up in the daytime with the weaponry.

From my point of view as a Brit, this is terrifying behaviour.
In a British school the janitor (or 'caretaker' as Brits call them) would be out of there PDQ.
He wouldn't even need to have guns in the photo. Not that he'd be likely to own any here, though he could instead brandish a big blade or two.
But overall just the clown malarky would do it.

When I was a school governor I'd've had him sacked so fast his feet wouldn't touch the ground, and he'd also enjoy a quiet word or two from the police.

They are told to.

Reading Durrels `The Bafut Beagles`

Why are the Bafuts terrified of a harmless lizard?

It's potentially not harmless, considering that he was posting photos of himself

Posting photos of himself in his work clothing on school property while holding weapons is certainly worrying.
He may even have been kept on in case sacking him pushed him over the edge and he turned up in the daytime with the weaponry.

From my point of view as a Brit, this is terrifying behaviour.
In a British school the janitor (or 'caretaker' as Brits call them) would be out of there PDQ.
He wouldn't even need to have guns in the photo. Not that he'd be likely to own any here, though he could instead brandish a big blade or two.
But overall just the clown malarky would do it.

When I was a school governor I'd've had him sacked so fast his feet wouldn't touch the ground, and he'd also enjoy a quiet word or two from the police.
Pondered this for a while and decided the biggest core issue here.... is whether the personnel in question are doing something that is in fact illegal.

the clown thing is weird, but.. .illegal? enh... no.

the gun? iffy.

Remember that thing I said about a caretaker who had a pistol on him while doing his job? Yeah, the school supervisors knew he did that because he asked for permission first. the STUDENTS didn't know because it was a concealed carry under his overalls.

But Britain still uses a variation of the same weapons control laws they had when Henry 8th was head-tyrant-in-charge.

Pondered this for a while and decided the biggest core issue here.... is whether the personnel in question are doing something that is in fact illegal.

the clown thing is weird, but.. .illegal? enh... no.

the gun? iffy.

Remember that thing I said about a caretaker who had a pistol on him while doing his job? Yeah, the school supervisors knew he did that because he asked for permission first. the STUDENTS didn't know because it was a concealed carry under his overalls.

But Britain still uses a variation of the same weapons control laws they had when Henry 8th was head-tyrant-in-charge.
Here in the UK he'd've been sacked for taking and posting such photos of himself with any form of weapon.

Reminds of that Clowns Employment Agency where the comics clocked in.

Every day, thousands of hard working people put on their suits and ties and trudge into the office, coffee in one hand, briefcase in the other. And every day, a significantly smaller percentage of these hard workers don a polka-dot tie and a harlequin suit, rubber snake in a jar of nuts in one hand and a briefcase bursting with balloons in the other, and drag their oversized red shoes into the office. Or, a children's birthday party. Typically, it's the latter. I'd say mostly the latter. These trudging laborers are, of course, clowns, who deserve a living wage and proper treatment at work just like anyone else. It's not funny, I'm serious! They really do! Stop laughing!

The plaintiffs, former employees of Clowns.com, argue that they were misclassified as independent contractors, weren't given proper pay stubs, had their wages garnished and were fired for bringing these issues up. One assumes that the net profit from garnishing worker's pay went to purchasing the domain of clowns.com, which I, personally, am also bidding for.

"For years, Clowns.com has treated clowns, who are largely young actors with no prior training in clowning who sign up for this job to make ends meet, as independent contractors," said Cameron Pille, one of the lead Plaintiffs in the lawsuit. "I'm proud to join with my clown colleagues to stand up to their wage theft and misclassification."
KAKALEC LAW

https://boingboing.net/2023/12/22/were-not-goofing-off-here-clowns-sue-clowns-com.html

As of people trying to look ominous/spooky while standing still, it works.

My mate's son is a theatre student who also got hold of a Halloween Michael Myers mask a couple of Halloween night years ago. We had all the usual kiddies turn up and then one 6ft tall fully garage mechanic suit and mask person in a Myers trying to be silently scary. She'd already been laughing about it with me about him rehearsing. I took the bowl of sweets over to him. I think these clown suit wearing people get the same kick out of doing that tbh but sometimes some of them don't know when they're taking it too far.

Back