• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coincidences

That's happened to me a few times- I'll have a song in my head, and lo and behold, it will come onto the radio.

With songs, I also find that quite often I'll hear a song I haven't heard in years a few times in one day, for no reason. For example, last Friday morning, a work colleague was singing 'Crazy Nights' by KISS. Then on my way home from work, radio one was playing it. Then on TV later that night, it was played on a show.
It would be fair enough if it was a recent chart hit, but not a rock tune from over 20 years ago! Maybe KISS really are 'Knights In Satan's Service.' ;)

Ha! that's quite mad. Yesterday afternoon while I was getting ready to go out I began singing 'Too Hard to Handle', The Black Crowes version, while I was in the bathroom. I don't know why I had the song in my head. I hadn't heard it in a long while but I kept singing and humming it.

After some time I walked into my kitchen to fetch something where I'd left my radio playing, to find a live version of the song being broadcast and at exactly the same point in the chorus that was going through my head.

'Hey little thing let me light your candle, cos mama I'm sure hard to handle now...'

I thought it was a pretty cool coincedence.

I took someone for a free visit to my gym recently, mainly so she could enjoy the lovely pools and hydrotherapy.

While we were swimming along happily, we both started singing 'Moon River'. I was surprised, because I always get that song in my head when I'm swimming there, but I dunno why. There is no piped music around the pools, for a start.

Presumably whatever triggered it in me also set it off in her.

And again, it's not exactly a happening tune! ;)

While we were swimming along happily, we both started singing 'Moon River'. I was surprised, because I always get that song in my head when I'm swimming there, but I dunno why. There is no piped music around the pools, for a start.

Presumably whatever triggered it in me also set it off in her.

And again, it's not exactly a happening tune!

This gym isn't a nudist gym by any chance, if it was it may explain the choice of song. :D

Oh good Lord, what a terrible thought. :shock:
I already glance at some of the manbreast-merchants swimming backstroke and think, islands in the stream, that is what we are... :lol:

Elephants and Elefants

I was stitching together a toy elephant the parts of which I had knit on a knitting machine. I didn't much like the way the elephant was coming together, but just as I asked my husband whether I should continue, the TV starting playing a music video called "Elefant."

Guess that was the answer.

an interesting coincedance

heres an interesting coincedance - My wifes name is Amanda. We have 2 daughters, Laura and Emma.

My wifes health visitor (one baby is newborn) is called Amanda, she has 2 daughters, Laura and Emma.

We didnt know the health visitor before the baby was born either!

:)

Coincidental music...

A few weeks ago me & my Beloved went to an open mic night at a local pub, where a friend of ours sang 'Tribute (to the greatest song?) - a song I'd never heard of before.
The following night another friend came round to practise a few songs with my Beloved, as they were going to do a little set at a party we were going to. Our friend brought a book of lyrics and music - some she'd written herself, some she hadn't. I picked the book up and opened it at the pages with the lyrics to 'Tribute...'

I'm quite impressed that you have fathered a new baby at the age of 75, PaZZa. :)
Congratulations!

I've had a few really amazing coincidences these past few weeks. Most of them involve running into people, but the best one was -
I was sitting on the bus with a friend, and I said out loud "I wonder when my mum's coming back from Kazakhstan?" and THAT very moment, my mum sent me a text saying "Hi James, I'm safely back from Kazakhstan..."

Mythopoeika said:
I'm quite impressed that you have fathered a new baby at the age of 75, PaZZa. :) Congratulations!

thanx!

maybe im not 75 :) i lost count around 12, or 29 or something :)

Bare with me this could be a long one!
Several years ago I was a vocalist in a group called the Aspects. We were due to record a collab with a producer called Quantic, who we'd never met before, and I had the only copy of the cd with the music on.
I wrote my lyrics at my folks house in Somerset, and left the cd behind when I returned to Bristol. .
My Pa had a blowout on his motorbike on a country road in Wales the week before. The only house nearby was owned by a retired engineer who offered to keep hold o my Pa's bike, order parts needed and call him when it was ready for collection. (What a nice chap!)
It was ready for him on the day I was due in the studio, luckily Dad had to change trains in Bristol on route, and I met him at the station to pick up the CD. That evening he called me to let me know he was ok, and to see how my day had gone. I told him the day was a success, and we'd made a nice new friend in Mr Quantic.. He then asked me if I knew a producer from Brighton called Will Holland, as he is the son of the Engineer fixing his bike. No, I replied and we finished the call.

Pa then called me back 10 mins later to say this young producer goes under the name of Quantic.......... !

:shock:

THAT is a really amazing coincidence :yeay: !!!

I believe I've already talked about this on a previous thread, but here goes:
Years ago I moved from New York State to California (all the way across the country, for those in other parts of the world). I got a job in a car dealership in Northern California, about 30 miles from where I had an apartment. After about a year of being a parts manager there, the boss said he wanted to try me out as a car salesman. After a while, I sold my first car to a man who mentioned he was from the Northeast. We were chatting while signing the papers and he said,
"You're from New York? Where abouts?"
I told him where I was from, basically a rural area upstate from the city, and he said, "Really? Do you know Louie _____ (my last name)? I was dumbfounded. That was my father. I asked how he knew him, and he said that my father had broadsided him in a car, totaling his vehicle. Apparently, there was a while where my father refused to pay for the accident, telling him that he was not at fault. The man never received the money from my father or an insurance company since no one could decide who was truly at fault.

So I sold my first car in the late 1980s to the guy who my father destroyed a vehicle of his in 1959, when I was three. I verified with my father, and he remembered the man very well. Thirty years and thirty-three hundred miles later. Strange.

Had quite a good coincidence this morning - the day before I had read a book on Jung, and was very interesting in his ideas of synchronicity, and, well, the rest of them, really. I was still puzzled by how scientists were interested in them, and how they were supposed to parallell aspects of quantum theory. Imagine my suprise when I woke up this morning to a discussion of teleology in the universe on the radio, when may things i'd been wondering about bandied about. Synchronicity!

When I was 14, one of my friends left our school and the West Mids as her family moved down south to near London. Over the years we remained in contact via infrequent letters and visits (not the time of emails and text messages). I saw her when I was 18 and she came to stay - we would have caught up and briefly chatted about our futures I'm sure but I can't remember anything about what she said. So fast forward to when I am planning my year abroad in Germany as part of my degree course. I got a list of all students from the UK going out to Germany via the British Council to teach English. I read through all the names and placements and was amazed to see my friend was going to the same state as I was and would be placed in a town about two hours away from mine! It meant we were also placed on the same training course together and were able to meet up in Cologne.

I will never get over the coincidence of not only of all the 16 states, we had picked the same one (placements were made out of our preferences and then where the need was the most) and that we had both chosen to teach English. Had one of us gone as a student or on work placement, we never would have met up!

I can't remember if I've posted this or not. So forgive me if this sounds familiar.

One night as my wife and I were reading, she asked a rather rhetorical question, "I wonder if I should read Catch-22 or not?" At that very instant I was reading a phrase (in, I believe, Vonnegut's Timequake) that was something to the effect of "Everyone should read Catch-22 at some point."

Another one that happened to me a few years ago: I was reading something at work online. I let my eyes unfocus for a moment and noticed that the spaces between words were making a rather distinct pattern of negative space that looked like large capital letters. It struck me as sort of odd and made an impression on me. Later, I went out to pick up some lunch and saw a former collegue eating there. She seemed engrossed in conversation, so I didn't bother her as I walked past. Around half an hour later she and another coworker walked past my cubicle. She said she had seen me walk by and wanted to say hello and she asked if, by chance, I happened to have any recent catologues for stock photography. I had just gotten one in the mail that I didn't need and gave it to her.

The catalogue was called Eyewire.

The capital letters I had seen onscreen earlier were I Y R.

-The Spine

I had a pretty good one this week.

I make signs for a living. A man rang me up asking for a small sign of 830mm x 430mm. When I started looking through sheets of material to make it I found one exactly the right size. "That's weird", I thought.

What's also quite good is that this thread is still going, five years after I started it. Blimey! Do I get a carriage clock? :)

I was just reading the Cartoon thread and on the radio came the news that the artist who drew the Flintstones, Deputy Dawg etc has died. Spooky.

Today at work, three customers in quick succession offered £20 notes for purchases of between £2 and £3.

I mentioned this to my colleague, and then the very next customer did the same!

(Luckily for us we had the change - an earlier customer, who had spent about £110, paid in £10 notes!)

rynner said:
Today at work, three customers in quick succession offered £20 notes for purchases of between £2 and £3.

I mentioned this to my colleague, and then the very next customer did the same!

(Luckily for us we had the change - an earlier customer, who had spent about £110, paid in £10 notes!)

That's not a coincidence, it's a bad situation ;)

The cash machine must've run out of tenners. ;)

I was reading the first post about getting broadband on the 'post a pic' thread just now, when I heard the rattle of the letterbox.

While waiting for the next page to crawl down the dial-up connection, I went through and got the mail.

It was an offer for broadband...

Big coin-ki-dink.
Bought our house in a small village in Hampshire and found the 2nd person to own it in1912 came from the street next door to where my husband lived in London.

min_bannister said:
I heard this on the radio this morning. Later, at work, we had a delivery of various goods, including pelican clips!

We also sell (amongst other things) self-adhesive letters. Last week I noticed that someone had taken down five letters and placed them on the floor, spelling the name FIONA. There had a been a couple of young girls in earlier, so I assumed one of them was the culprit.

The next day I was in town and saw a small ship entering harbour - she was called FIONA!

The ship sailed a day or two later, but today she was back, towed in by the Coastguard tug, after breaking down off the Lizard!

A tanker carrying a hazardous chemical has been towed to docks in Falmouth after suffering an engine failure off the coast of Cornwall.
The Antigua-registered ship Fiona ran into difficulties three miles from the Lizard peninsula on the way to Columbia from Sweden.

It is carrying about 3,000 tonnes of ammonium nitrate, which can explode when mixed with other substances.

A tug was used to bring the ship to the docks for repairs.

It is expected to depart on Thursday night.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/6083806.stm

Let's hope it doesn't explode, and take Rynner's Old Curiosity Shoppe with it!

Here's a nice double coincidence..........

I grew up in England (Greater London area) and have been living in Sydney for a few years now

A couple of years ago I got chatting to a friend of a friend and discovered that not only were we from the same area, but we had gone to the same school, AND he had been taught by my Mum

This coincidence kept us going for a while, then last year I was watching the Ashes at a different friend's house. They'd brought back some random drunk bloke from the pub, and he picked up on something I said about Hayes, Middlesex. Not only was he from the same area as me, he had been to the same school, and had also been taught by my Mum!

The drunk bloke was totally amazed by the coincidence, but, strangely, I was not. I have come to expect this sort of thing by now, and look forward to meeting the next person in Sydney who went to the same school as me in England, and was taught by my Mum.

Over the weekend I finished a book called "Niagra Falls All over Again" by Elizabeth McCracken. A bit of a wierd book for me to read, but enjoyed it muchly, all about vaudeville and America and comedy. etc. Anyway, it was a book from the library, picked up for no apprarent reason.

This morning, I picked up Nick Hornby's "A Long Way Down", lent to me by a friend, and the first page has a quote from "Niagra Falls All Over Again"

Was a goose pimple moment - both books are completely different and as far as I can see, have no similarities. I've read Hornby's books before and had been promised this book as soon as my friend finished it. Weird to think if she had given it to me a week before, the quote wouldn't have meant anything to me at all!

I have similar book related coincidences, Littlegreylady ...

Just recently I was re-reading "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman, The character Low Key (Loki) had recently appeared, and I was thinking about the pun, then I heard the someone on the TV say "Let's try to keep this low key".

A couple of days later my bf (who has never read the book) put an e-book on my desktop for me; it was a book on how to do coin tricks. The main character in "American Gods" is obsessed with coin tricks.

Well, here's a cracker! (Glad I didn't post my canal boat dream - it would have seemed pretty puny against this!)
Surname headache for school staff

Staff and students at a County Durham college can be forgiven for being confused when the name Smith is called.
For Consett Community Sports College boasts a set of twins, triplets and quadruplets all with the same surname.

The 13-year-old twins Rebecca and Victoria, are identical, as are 14-year-old triplets Laura, Toni and Sharon.

The 750-student college has another six pupils with the surname Smith, plus two teachers and two classroom assistants.

The quadruplets are a little easier for staff to identify as they are boys Neil and Deklan and girls Courtney and Zoe, all aged 14.

'Astonishing and unique'

To ensure the triplets get the right coursework and marks, teachers have taken to sitting them in different parts of the classroom.

Maths teacher Allan McArdle said: "It can be confusing but the nice thing is that all of them are lovely."

Christine Parker, head teacher at the college - which was formerly known as Blackfyne Community School - added: "It's astonishing and possibly unique, I would think.

"To have twins, triplets and quads in the same school is very unusual but to have them all share the same surname is beyond belief.

"It does cause some confusion trying to tell them apart but we think it's a very special thing to have and they are all top-notch students.

"Apart from sharing the same surname, all of them are very friendly and really high performing students."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/6173780.stm

Back