• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coincidences

Last Xmas I broke my shoulder, and have been off work on statutuary sick pay ever since. I've been trying to top that up with some benefits, but I've been getting the runaround every time I try to check progress with my claim.

Today, after a dental appointment, I found myself by the Citizens Advice Bureau, so in I went for some help with my claim - and the CAB woman I saw had broken her shoulder about a month before me!

Got home and put the TV on. One team on Bargain Hunt was a pair of twins, and they recounted a 'twins' story: one was lying comfortably in bed one night when he suddenly felt a terrible pain in his shoulder - next day he discovered that his brother had dislocated his shoulder at that time. (My shoulder was also dislocated, as well as broken.)

From CAB to BH was just a couple of hours.....

A month or so ago I spent quite a chunk of money getting the right hand speaker reconnected in my car. It was great for a few days, then I got an ear infection and have been completely deaf in my right ear ever since. :roll: Coincidence or irony, I can't decide.

the wife has started a open uni degree in maths recently,currently she is doing map reading and coordinates

last saturday we both sat and watched the chronicals of narnia
at the start they are in a train journey that follows a cannal
as it happens the very same part of england is the exact ,it seems,match to the video that that comes with the course.

Ever since January I've been trying to claim some Pensions Credit, but keep getting the runaround. The CAB tried for me, and seemed to succeed, only for everything to go quiet again, so I tried the office of our local MP, Julia Goldsworthy, as well.

Today I got a letter from the local Pensions office, which was actually a response to the CAB activity. The letter said that a liaison officer would come to see me about the claim - the officer's name is Julie Goldsworthy!

-----------------------------------------------------

Yesterday in the doc's waiting room I was reading something about choughs in a Cornwall magazine
- this bird appears on the Cornish Coat of Arms:
http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=4445

The coincidence arises because in a mystery story I'm reading, part of the tale revolves around a witness who thought he saw a chough. However the story is not set in Cornwall, or any other place where choughs live, but in London and Kent!

I was meant to call a friend of my mum's last night but due to a variety of reasons, including my not having her number and not being bothered to phone my mum for it, I didn't get round to it.

This morning I had to go to the town where my parents live (20 mins from where I now live). I was coming out of a shop in the town centre when who should I bump into but my mum's friend!!! it was very handy and saved me a phone call :D

In the book with choughs, there was a female foreign character that the English referred to as Minty, as that was the closest they could get to her name.

Today I visited St Agnes, and found a cottage called Minty's Cottage! :shock:

A few minor syns today:

I posted some minutes ago about a chap with the fine name of Jock Stirrup. I then decided to view my local paper online, and found this (in an article about our local maritime museum):
There's even a Peruvian stirrup, designed to enclose the foot and offer protection against Peruvian cacti, used by the South American Conquistadors.
Earlier today someone posted a version of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds on this MB:
later, a character in a book I was reading began to sing this song, as he tried to poison someone with LSD!

And syns are hotting up at rynner's old curiositie shoppe (ROCS):
we had a delivery of self-adhesive letters to top up our stand, and later sold 48 of them to one customer!
(Normally, people only buy 6 or 10 or so, to make up a boat name.)

Had enquiries about White Ensigns this am, and sold one in the pm to someone else entirely - White Ensigns are not big sellers, as only the RN and its officers are allowed to fly them.

A few pages back I wrote:

uair01 said:
What do you think is the chance of seeing three contrails crossing in the same point? I had never seen such a thing before. This was at 11:30:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e182/uair01/contrail01.jpg

On the same day - at 17:00 I saw the same thing once again:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e182/uair01/contrail02.jpg

And since then not once more ...

I have caught another one recently:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e182/uair01/contrail_crossing.jpg

Now I'm starting to wonder - are these really so rare or not? Usually they don't staty in that configuration long. The crossing passes away really fast and becomes a triangle.

Coincidence in Va. Tech shootings

I've never experienced a coincidence as striking to me as this. The night before and also the morning of the Va. Tech shootings, for some reason I was thinking about the Charles Whitman shooting incident at The Univ. of Texas in 1966 where Whitman killed 16 people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whitman

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_m ... dex_1.html

When I got to work I looked up info about the Texas shootings on the web, which I had read before. As I was reading, the news of the Va. Tech shootings broke.
Today I had lunch at a Chinese restaurant with my girlfriend. Her fortune from her fortune cookie read "There are coincidences".

!!! That's pretty impressive, sureshot!

I had a slightly vague and nebulous one a couple of weeks ago. I was on the Isle of wight, and had been carving a squid, which my dad referred to as a 'kraken'. That, combined with all of the Tennyson stuff on the island, made me get Tennyson's poem ('The Kraken') in my head. I couldn't, however, remember how it went. Then i went into a bookshop, and found a book called 'The Kraken Wakes' by John Wyndham, which has said poem as the frontispiece. Naturally, I bought it, and it tied in with a lot of other themes I had been thinking about.

H_James said:
!!! That's pretty impressive, sureshot!
I second that!

I also like your Kraken one, as I once had a copy of that book. (I must have read most of Wyndham's stuff.)

But to my surprise, I realise that I had somehow also associated the Kraken with Henry Williamson (the Tarka man), but a few stabs at Google seem to reveal no link at at all. This dates back to the late 70s, when I was in North Devon, one of HW's stomping grounds. Has my memory misled me?

I've found the link - I still have this little paperback:
Tales of Moorland and Estuary
(1953)
A collection of stories by
Henry Williamson

Henry Williamson was one of the great nature writers of the century. His area of observation was North Devon--its coast and moors, its inhabitants in all their forms. He regarded animals and men with compassion and wrote about them in clear, memorable prose.

These 12 stories range from the eerie "A Winter's Tale," about a stranded hiker's night in a fog-shrouded farmhouse; to the satiric observation of "The White Stoat," an albino weasel's encounter with a Cockney interloper; and from "The Crake," a Melvillean saga of a fisherman's duel with the sea; to "The Yellow Boots," a chilling tale of a bizarre convict hunt on the moors.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/hen ... stuary.htm

I'll have to reread the tale, but I'm pretty sure his Crake is Tennyson's Kraken.

I've now reread The Crake, and it does involve a sea monster - but I'll say no more to avoid spoiling the plot!

Had an odd syn at work today - we we unpacking a delivery of charts and pilot books, and looking at one of the latter I remarked, "Oh, that's what that couple last week ordered."

Whereupon a voice from the other side of the counter said, "Yes, that was us!"

And it was! (Her copy had arrived days earlier, but she'd not yet collected it.)

Luckily I had been polite, and not said something like "Oh, that's what that cow last week ordered"! :oops:

Not an earth-shaking coincidence, but it made the family smile. OH had a business meeting in Cardiff today, and my son (primary school) had a class field trip to a local country park and mansion.

OH came home boasting that he'd seen the actual Tardis!!! in Cardiff.

Then son arrived home excited as hell, delighted, because they'd seen the BBC filming The Sarah Jane Adventures at the country park :lol:. They'd actually seen Sarah Jane. And the BBC had given custard creams to all the kids because they'd kept quiet while a (presumably short!) scene was being shot!

(He also said nuns were involved. I shan't say any more...)

Earlier this evening I was reading a crime novel in which one character recounts the case of a couple who tried to be perfect parents. They would be neither too strict or too lenient (etc, etc) in order to avoid the problems those different attitudes had led to. But it was all in vain - the kids turned to smoking, drink, and worse anyway.

And just a little later, I came across this Telegraph article:
Children 'learn most from peers not parents'
By Graeme Paton, Education Correspondent
Last Updated: 5:22am BST 26/04/2007

Parents who heap attention on their children and spend hours teaching them the difference between right and wrong have only a small effect on their long-term development, according to a leading psychologist.

The need to survive at school and mix with friends has a more significant impact on a child's behaviour than lessons learned in the home, it is claimed.

Judith Rich Harris, an American psychologist, says that a child who grows up in a disciplined household is just as likely to turn into a tearaway as those raised in chaotic homes, if they mix with unruly classmates at a young age.

(etc)
http://tinyurl.com/2u9glu
Spooky or what? :shock:

The same novel (mentioned in my previous post) triggered an even better syn later.

Early last week, at work, the postman dropped a "We tried to deliver..." card through the letter box, timed at 9 am. He hadn't knocked, but staff were in the shop, preparing to open up. By the time they opened the door the postman was gone. Annoying, especially as we were expecting an urgent Special Delivery....

A couple of days later I was having a coffee, in a pub on my way to work, and reading a few more pages of the book. In the story, the detective finds a "We tried to deliver..." card from the postman at the home of a suspect, which cast doubt on the suspect's claim to have been home all that particular day.

A little later I got to work, at 10 am, and discovered we'd had yet another of these cards ourselves, at 9 am! (As before, the postman hadn't knocked, although staff were there... :roll: )

Good timing!

The same novel (mentioned in my previous post) triggered an even better syn later.

Early last week, at work, the postman dropped a "We tried to deliver..." card through the letter box, timed at 9 am. He hadn't knocked, but staff were in the shop, preparing to open up. By the time they opened the door the postman was gone. Annoying, especially as we were expecting an urgent Special Delivery....

A couple of days later I was having a coffee, in a pub on my way to work, and reading a few more pages of the book. In the story, the detective finds a "We tried to deliver..." card from the postman at the home of a suspect, which cast doubt on the suspect's claim to have been home all that particular day.

A little later I got to work, at 10 am, and discovered we'd had yet another of these cards ourselves, at 9 am! (As before, the postman hadn't knocked, although staff were there... :roll: )

Good timing!

(Incidentally, I don't recall getting any of these cards at work for many years, and now we get two in a week...)

Reading the wine critic column in the paper, in which he tells how he was invited to a tasting of top quality champagne vintages.

While I was reading, I realised the TV was showing something about wine-tasting too. This wouldn't have been surprising if it was switched to some foodie prog, but in fact it was tuned to a horse racing part of the beeb sports prog! (The wine tasting was just a filler between races.)

Just bought "Levelling The Land" by the Levellers (on vinyl!) from ebay.....

In the credits it says "Produced by Al Scott"....

I live at # New Steine Mansions, on Devonshire Place.
Opposite is a building called Devonshire Mansions, and we quite often get post for number #, and they receive our post sometimes.

Guess who lives at # Devonshire Mansions? Only a bloke called Al Scott who happens to be a music producer.

*licks pencil, makes note in Stalking Book* :D

Hey, Carlos! I'm thinking of visiting Brighton real soon! Can you tell me the times when you're out? Only I'd hate to call round when you're not in!

(you might want to edit your post)

Written it down? Written it down? Pfft. It's logged into my shoulder-mounted Satnav Grenade Launcher.

CarlosTheDJ said:
Just bought "Levelling The Land" by the Levellers (on vinyl!) from ebay.....

In the credits it says "Produced by Al Scott"....

I live at # New Steine Mansions, on Devonshire Place.
Opposite is a building called Devonshire Mansions, and we quite often get post for number #, and they receive our post sometimes.

Guess who lives at # Devonshire Mansions? Only a bloke called Al Scott who happens to be a music producer.

That is really rather cool.

You live in a mansion? Wooo...

He lives at ## ## Mansions. Mansions. That's at least TWO mansions! Mega-posh! 8)

Back