• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coincidences

Someone get this man his coat! :lol:

Yesterday I had to summon someone from an office where they were on the phone.
Rather than interrupt them I held up two words on a notepad. When they still carried on talking instead of going with me I humorously held up a drawing of a bone, just as she said, 'I have to go now, yes, you spell the last part B-O-N-E...'

One of my kids cycled off with their school class, to to camp a few days ago and returned yesterday. when they got to camp, they were all asked to put the keys to their cycle locks into a basket for safe keeping. Of course a coupl of the kids still managed to lose their keys and had to leave their cycles behind.

One went home to tell his mother, who said, 'I know' and told him which pocket of which pair of trousers he'd left it in.

She'd apparently dreamed that he'd lost his key and even which pocket he'd left it in, the night before. I know this, because my partner talked to the mother in question, on the phone, yesterday and she told me about it last night.

** Parts of this post have been hidden to avoid offending anyone with spoilers (Hopefully correctly) **

I've been reading William Shatner's very entertaining autobiography "Up til now". Last night I read the part where he explains about his famous alien encounter; which he completely fabricated :lol: He goes on to mention meeting Dr Edgar Mitchell, who upon being introduced, starts eagerly discussing the encounter. Of course, Bill doesn't have the heart to tell him the tale is a tall one :D

I thought I would find out a little more about Dr Mitchell, and then this is posted on the board today. Moonwalker (!) Dr Edgar Mitchell

Lovely

Edited to get the blinking colour right

In the totally meaningless coincidence department, I checked East at Left Gate out of the library this go-round. Early in the book Larry Warren mentions the date on which he left home for basic - July 21, 1980. Which means he started basic on July 22, 1980. Which means he started basic the exact same day as my husband!

Him and several hundred other guys...Lackland is in a continual state of starting baby flights.

But guess what day I read about it!

Went to see The Dark Knight.

Driving back from the Cinema, I saw the Batman, Superman,the Flash and Bananaman, waiting at a bus stop. Further on I saw the Mighty Thor clutching a bottle of Pimms. Either they're putting hallucinogens in the Coke at the cinema, or they were on their way to a costume party....or I've slipped into a strange parallel universe. I have never previously seen any superheroes in Huntingdon...

I've had two really brilliant coincidences happen to me in the last few years.
One involved me travelling from Cornwall to London (I know, that's no big deal, tbh, but I'm agoraphobic; I don't get out much) to see a painting in Tate Modern by Arshile Gorky, who I'd recently become slightly obsessed with. Me and my friend searched for ages trying to find this picture, only to discover that it had been taken down due to water leaking through the wall behind where it was hung.

The painting's title; 'Waterfall'...
Gorky's works are apparently quite well known in the art trade for being 'cursed'

The next, which I like to refer to as 'Synchronicity #2' was when I was in St Austell, on a day out with my sister. She was about to leave for Uni and recognised the guy who served us in Boots chemists as someone who'd been pictured in the prospectus she'd had from St Austell tech. She happened to remember his name was 'Darren'
About an hour later, I met someone who I'd been to school with around 10 years previously and had not met since, whose name was also 'Darren'

I won't bother writing about hearing the same word on the radio as I read it and other such occurrences ; they're obviously happening to all of us, all the time...

Excellent accounts there! :yeay:

Sitting in the car with my dad, I said 'Radio 4 is on a slightly different frequency in Brighton' (fascinating conversations we have). Turned the radio on, and the first word they said was 'Brighton'.

So about 11ish in the morning, i'm in the van off to collect a freezer off of some bloke in Preston (had the address and the Lancs A-Z, so no problem there).

And the Century Radio news comes on and it's about a police crackdown of vice in The Deepdale area on Preston. and the place where i'm driving to is (after checking A-Z) in Deepdale, and i was in Preston as i heard the news story.

What are the chances of that? Must be billions and billions to 1, right :D

quick two coincidences from this weekend and today.

Ok so I am looking after my friends house while he is away on his jollies.
I had a great dream that went on for a good long while (or so it seemed)... anyway one part of the dream had me trying to catch a train out of derby... a fellow was advising me to go catch another train form another station and was explaining at length the architecture along the way to the other station. Just as i am taking in the chatter a dog with wings lands on a post box... obviously i try to get a photo of this on my phone but it turned out that even in my own dream I couldn't work the phone camera. So that was that and then today i was just thinking about it when i clicked on a link to some cartoon drawings a fella had posted on an art forum... what pops up straight away? Only a series of pictures showing leopards with wings.. griffins... and winged horses.
That was pretty coincidendental if you ask me.

Also this weekend i was rading on of those graffitti books from the 70's... the ones with all the witty things people had scrawled on walls. It was while reading this that i learned of george davis who was successfully freed from a 20 year jail term after the people of london took it upon themselves to write 'George davis is innocent ok' across any and every surface in london. So today i click on a link from an art blog that leads to banksy's web site.. the page I go to after the home page was the 'manifesto' link... lo and behold there is a photograph of a wall with 'G davis in innocent ok' written on it and an accompanying article.

... what do you reckon?

TV Show, then my name

Two coincidences:

1) In a moment away from the office, I started thinking about Mark Twain, which lead to remembering the "Star Trek: Next Generation" episode where everyone travels to 19th-century Earth, and Mark Twain visits the Enterprise. I very rarely watch "Next Generation", but that evening my husband turned to the SciFi channel since nothing else of interest was on TV: guess which episode of "Next Generation" was playing...

2) Much creepier: while wandering under the redwoods near where I work, I suddenly thought I heard someone called my birth name (a name I haven't used for almost three decades). Of course, I put it down to mis-hearing. However, when I returned to work and checked my messages, the first message was spam from someone using my birth name, the spelling of which is highly unusual. Strange, and not a good feeling. (No, I didn't open the message.)

This morning, listening to the radio in bed, I heard something about bees, and they mentioned Colony Collapse Disorder - but I misheard it as Comedy Collapse Disorder!

A little later I start to browse the news-sites, and came across this story:
Student collapses every time she laughs
A student collapses every time she laughs due to a rare medical condition.
By Telegraph Reporter
Last Updated: 6:36PM BST 04 Aug 2008

Kay Underwood, 20, has cataplexy, which means that almost any sort of strong emotion triggers a dramatic weakening of her muscles.

Exhilaration, anger, fear, surprise, awe and even embarrassment can also cause sufferers to suddenly collapse on the spot.

Victims are often left paralysed for several minutes, although they always retain the ability to hear what is going on around them.

Kay, of Barrow-upon-Soar, Leicestershire, who was diagnosed with the condition five years ago, once collapsed more than 40 times in a single day.

She said: "People find it very odd when it happens, and it isn't always easy to cope with strangers' reactions.

etc...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... aughs.html

Couple to marry 22 years after being born next to each other
Kelly Robinson and Dale Wilson will tie the knot this weekend - 22 years after they were born next to each other in the same hospital ward.
Last Updated: 7:06PM BST 06 Aug 2008

The pair were born just three days apart at Northampton General Hospital and their mothers recovered in adjacent beds on the same ward.

They lived separate lives until they were introduced by a mutual friend on April 10 2006 - exactly 20 years and one day since they first 'met'.

The pair only realised their connection when Miss Robinson's mum Marie, 55, and engineer Mr Wilson's mum Jane got together and started talking about their births.

Miss Robinson, a team manager in fraud detection for Barclaycard from West Hunsbury, Northants., said: "I think it is destiny.

"Everything fell into place when we got together. It felt like we'd known each other for ever.

"It's so strange how we've met again and fallen in love. I can't imagine it happening to anyone else. I feel so lucky I've found Dale."

The couple were re-introduced 20 years later by mutual friend Emma Smith who went to the University of Northampton with Miss Robinson, and is a childhood friend of Mr Wilson's.

Miss Robinson, who is three days older than her fiance, said there was an instant attraction between them. After a whirlwind five-month romance the pair decided to get married.

Miss Robinson's mother said: "It's such an incredible coincidence.

"Jane and I were talking about giving birth. She told me how because Dale was a very big baby she had a really awful delivery and ended up having to have a caesarean section.

"Then she said giving birth to Dale was like giving birth to a rugby player because he was 10.5 lbs.

"Suddenly it just came flooding back that Jane had been the lady next to me in hospital.

"We had talked then about how giving birth to a big baby was just as dangerous as giving birth to a small one.

"The thing I remember about Jane was her letting her head flop back on the pillow because she was so exhausted.

"It's amazing the way my memory just clicked into place when I realised Jane was the same woman.

"The chances of them meeting again must be a million to one. It's just so peculiar but wonderful."

The wedding will take place at St John the Baptist Curch in Kingsthorpe, Northants., on Saturday followed by a honeymoon in Cyprus.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... other.html

Found on another forum this morning!

... 8:45 ... asleep (well I did not get to bed until 3)

... phone rings ... a local number

I mumble "hello"
She says "is that #####"
I mumble "yes"
She says "are you ready to go shopping"
I manage a "what, who is this"
She says "It's me, Carol"
I say "who"
She says "Mrs Short from next door"
I say "what, who"
She says "I must have the wrong number"
Then she says "why did you say you were #####"

And she hangs up

The weird thing is that I AM #####

Plus ... I DO have a very unusual first name, VERY

So ... what are the odds?

Re: Found on another forum this morning!

wendytorrance said:

Happened to me once, so the odds might not be that high, not as high as you would think anyway.

I got a phone call from someone asking for me by name, said his name which was the same as someone I know, and it took us about a minute of conversation before we realised we had no idea who we were speaking to!

wendytorrance said:
... 8:45 ... asleep (well I did not get to bed until 3)

... phone rings ... a local number

I mumble "hello"
She says "is that #####"
I mumble "yes"
She says "are you ready to go shopping"
I manage a "what, who is this"
She says "It's me, Carol"
I say "who"
She says "Mrs Short from next door"
I say "what, who"
She says "I must have the wrong number"
Then she says "why did you say you were #####"

And she hangs up

The weird thing is that I AM #####

Plus ... I DO have a very unusual first name, VERY

It's the most unusual name I have seen. How is ##### pronounced?

Ginando said:
It's the most unusual name I have seen. How is ##### pronounced?

It's pronounced #'#### with the second # long.

I learned belatedly yesterday of the demise of our old chum Jon-Erik Beckjord, who claimed to have been the Mothman during a previous out-of-body experience.

What should I happen to find then thrashing about in my bedroom curtain? . . .

A portly American Mensa-case?

It was a bloody big moth really but almost as frightening! :)

A wonderfully Fortean coincidence here:

Man 'declared dead' while on holiday
Neighbours of Michael O'Neill were surprised to receive a postcard from his Australian holiday - because they thought he had been declared dead.
Last Updated: 12:43PM BST 18 Aug 2008

The 49-year-old had left his home a couple of months earlier for an extended break but hadn't informed his friends.

Police were contacted and officers broke into the flat, but could find no evidence of his whereabouts.

Then last week, friends of the man felt their fears had been confirmed when a family announcement was made in the local evening newspaper

By coincidence, it announced the death of another Michael O'Neill from Middlesbrough.

Both men were of almost the same age - the late Mr O'Neill was 50 - and both have brothers named Kevin and Terry.

Mr O'Neill from Coulby Newham, Middlesborough said: "I went out on June 2 to stay with a friend and when I got back last Monday I found my door had been smashed in!" said Mr O'Neill.

"My neighbours thought I had died so they got in touch with police who came and broke the door down.

"The police were watching the flat but then one of the neighbours received a postcard from me and said 'So that's where he is!'."

But Mr O'Neill said many of his friends are still mistaking him for a ghost!

"Everywhere I am going, people I know are grabbing hold of my hand, saying 'I thought you were dead!'

"They can't believe it's me and I'm still alive. I'm a nervous wreck because everywhere I go people keep grabbing me!"

Mr O'Neill said he made the decision to visit Australia last minute and it slipped his mind to inform his neighbours.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... liday.html

Now this is one of those coincidences that seems meaningful, ie, a synchronicity (though I'm d***ed if I can figure out the meaning!)

Today in the Olympics, a Brit named Victoria Pendleton won a gold in a cycling pursuit race.
(Never heard of the woman before, not being a cycling fan.)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic ... 570228.stm

This evening, reading a Greg Bear SF book, a character was said to be wearing a 'moth-eaten thrift-store Pendleton'. This also meant nothing to me, so I had to websearch for Pendleton - turns out to be something made by Pendleton Woolen Mills "an American apparel manufacturing company located in Portland, Oregon, United States. The company is internationally known for its high-quality woolen garments and blankets".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendleton_Woolen_Mills

Decidely odd!

(The book is very Fortean, as well as being of interest to fans of modern physics - it's called "City at the End of Time".)

Another one involving the same Greg Bear book: parts of it reminded me of a well-known fantasy novel that I once read, but I couldn't remember the title or author.

Today I finally remembered the author's name - Clive Barker.

And this evening, picking up the Greg Bear book again, a character looks through his deceased father's effects - and finds they include several Clive Barker books!

Another 'library book' one - rather stunning, too, in a literal sense:

In the first book (pub. 2005), the main character has psychiatric problems, and undergoes ECT (electro-convulsive therapy).

After finishing that one, I made another rapid and random choice from the crime shelf, and came up with a P.D.James book (pub. 1963)...

...on page 2, I read about another doctor who practices ECT.

(I thought ECT had gone out of favour nowadays, but Wiki says
"It was first introduced in the 1930s[2] and gained widespread use as a form of treatment in the 1940s and 50s; today, an estimated 1 million people worldwide receive ECT every year,[3] usually in a course of 6-12 treatments administered 2 or 3 times a week."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroconvulsive_therapy )

I had this dream last night where I basically sat down and watched someone pick up a small, round, plastic container (the kind they give you at pet shops when you buy a single fish). It had a spider and a scorpion in it. The person flicked the container around a bit and the scorpion juped out of it, and then the container tipped over, the spider got out of it and scuttled over and killed the scorpion.

The spider was long-bodied and kind of strange-looking to my eyes - one I'd never seen before so I don't know how I made it up.

Then today I go through the Breaking News page and there's a link to a story and picture of my spider killing a scorpion (It was a Camel Spider).

Odd. :shock:

While travelling to work with two colleagues, there was a bulletin about delays on outskirts of Fakenham. One of my passengers asked where that was. 'No idea' we said almost in unison. As we rounded a bend we came up behind two HGV's which very coincidentally were carrying grain from a company in Fakenham. (It's in Norfolk, so its about 500 road miles from where we were)

LaurenChurchill said:
I had this dream last night where I basically sat down and watched someone pick up a small, round, plastic container (the kind they give you at pet shops when you buy a single fish). It had a spider and a scorpion in it. The person flicked the container around a bit and the scorpion juped out of it, and then the container tipped over, the spider got out of it and scuttled over and killed the scorpion.

The spider was long-bodied and kind of strange-looking to my eyes - one I'd never seen before so I don't know how I made it up.

Then today I go through the Breaking News page and there's a link to a story and picture of my spider killing a scorpion (It was a Camel Spider).

Odd. :shock:

I have just read this post today and had not seen the Breaking News item referred to either. This afternoon I was browsing in my library totally at random and plucked off the shelf a volume on the History of Chemistry. It was acquired mainly for the sake of its many and varied illustrations, some only tangentially related to the subject. One whole page was taken up with an old engraving of two containers with specimens preserved in them. On the left a tarantula, on the right a scorpion.

I squinted at the tarantula for a few seconds, because its body seemed curiously elongated in the jar. It did not much resemble the living examples we see today.

If I had spent hours today in random browsing the coincidence would have been less striking but I was interrupted by a telephone call which put paid to my delicious idling for the rest of the afternoon. :shock:

After reading JW's post, I thought I was going through a coincidence 'drought'.

But then I found a MB post about an Elvis Presley song - and a character in my latest reading fancies himself as a young E. look-alike, and has a religious-type fixation on E. (as he calls him).

Shortly after that, I watched a documentary on Thames shipwrecks, and one of the talking heads featured was someone I used to know fairly well, about 20 years ago.

I found my lil dashboard Elvis the other day. Then my teacher announced she was going to Graceland. Then my Mum bought my brother an Elvis singles collection :lol:

There's more!
Jerry Reed: Actor and country singer
Thursday, 4 September 2008

If the epithet "multi-talented" is today regularly overused, it seems wholly appropriate when describing Jerry Reed. An award-winning country singer, he was also a fine songwriter – his "U.S. Male" and "Guitar Man" became substantial hits for Elvis Presley – as well as a highly influential guitarist and a popular film actor, starring in the Smokey and the Bandit trucker movies alongside Burt Reynolds.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obitu ... 18001.html

Back