• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Communing With Spiders

Twin_Star

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
The following events occurred about 3 years ago, when I lived in a rented flat. The flat itself was one of six that had been converted in an imposing Victorian semi (semi-detached for all you non-UK readers).

It was the height of mid-summer and my housemate was away with his girlfriend for 10 days, leaving me to find novel ways of amusing myself, and filling the lonely hours before bed.

In the days before my housemate’s departure, we had noticed a large (20cms a side) spider’s web appear, triangular in shape and attached on one side to the bath (well really the shower screen that was on top of the tap or “business” end of the bathtub), and another side to the wall of the bathroom. The longest side of the triangle was held aloft, suspended betwixt the two.

Between the corner connecting the bath itself and the bathroom wall was a crack, maybe 2.5cms long and 1.5/2cm high). It was here, I postulated, that the creator of the web must reside.

On returning from work one evening I went for my usual ablutions, and noticed a middling-sized house spider sitting in the centre of the web. The web was between the W/C and the bath, and so from my seated position I could observe the arachnid with some clarity. No movement, even when I peered in for a closer look. What I did think, however, was that she looked decidedly hungry. Where I got that idea from I have no idea.

Anyway, the evening progressed and when I was brushing my teeth at the end of the night I glanced towards the web, lo and behold the spider was still there.

I left for work the following day, and returned at the usual time. Spider still there.

And the next day.

And the next.

After 4 days of observing this creature, it struck me that there obviously wasn’t enough flies / gnats / silverfish or whatever the usual food source was, in this particular area of the flat and that if I didn’t do something the outlook for my eight-legged companion was not good.

I can’t explain my next actions, I can only describe them:

I leaned over from my seated position and began a conversation:

“Hello there little fella, you look like you haven’t eaten for a dog’s age. Would you like me to get you something to eat? If you respond to me in a way I can understand then I will see what I can do for you”.

Within a couple of seconds Spiddy, as she later came to be called, turned to face me full-on, reared up on her hind 6 legs and waved her two front legs at me. She then proceeded to get back onto 8 legs and rock the web for maybe 5 seconds.

I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

Slightly bemused (though not at all shaken, stirred, anxious, or frightened) I left the bathroom and went out for the evening.

Coming home from work the next day I was turning off the motorway, when I suddenly remembered my commitment to Spiddy. I knew full-well that I could return home that evening and not fulfil my promise, passing off my conversation the previous night as an attack of the vapours. But something deep inside me said that this wasn’t right, and that a promise was a promise after all.

I knew from prior experience that spiders don’t eat bacon, ham, or any other processed meat, preferring living prey, and this presented me with somewhat of a problem until I thought about it for a while longer and remembered there was a pet shop near to my parents house. This would only necessitate 45-60 minutes of time, so after getting “Dogano’s” number from directory enquiries, I set off down the trail.

Upon my arrival at said pet shop, I asked the lady behind the counter what types of food they had in for spiders.

“what type of spider is it love, tarantula, wolf, or similar?” she queried

“common house”, I replied.

Her eyes twitched, momentarily, but then she was back into full sales assistance mode.

“well, we supply crickets for a number of customers”

“oh no, I can’t have them jumping all around my bathroom”, I responded “haven’t you got anything slower?”

“Maybe Waxworms?”

The deal done, I took my little plastic pot of waxworms back to the flat.

And there she was, still sitting in the centre of her web – looking more and more dejected.

I opened the pot, removed one of the succulent beasts and dropped (from a distance of maybe 10cms) dinner onto the web near where Spiddy was sitting.

It was like something out of “Starship Troopers”.

Racing over to the offering, Spiddy proceeded to rear up a couple of times before sinking her fangs into the helpless entrée. At this point I decided to leave her to it, reasoning it wasn’t the done thing to watch a lady eat.

I returned to the bathroom just before bed, to brush my teeth and whatnot, and saw that one half of the waxworm’s body was now a deep grey (rather than the opaque whitish colour previously).

The next morning I looked in before work and she was still there, eating her fill.

When I got back from work that night, both the spider and the waxworm were gone.

I left it for a day or two (reasoning she wouldn’t have finished her repast), and then dropped another waxworm onto the empty web. By the time I returned home in the evening, that too had disappeared.

The following morning (a Saturday) I had a leisurely time tidying and cleaning the house, eventually getting to the bathroom, which I had left for last. And there Spiddy was. No longer the lethargic, puny specimen of yore. She now had a coat that literally shined, with all of her black and grey markings fully visible. Her abdomen was swollen and glossy and even her legs looked thicker. I stated that I hoped I had been of some assistance, and that sooner or later I was going to have to hoover the web up, as my flatmate was returning in the next day or so. I’d like to say that she did a chorus-line dance of appreciation, but she didn’t, merely sat there looking full of vim and vigour.

I went out for the rest of the day and on my return there was no sign of her. I never saw Spiddy again, but some weeks later (end of August), numerous small spiders were seen by me and my housemate, emerging from the hole by the bath. I always had a notion that they were Spiddy’s children, making their own way in life.

Now, I know that there may be dozens of potential explanations concerning the events above. Coincidental timing of the spiders “response”, arachnid excitation to the carbon dioxide from my mouth but I honestly felt I connected with this creature, on an intellectual level. IE: I asked a reasoned question, and I got a coherent reply.

Maybe communicating with animals requires some heightened levels of “need” (for want of a better word), on both sides?

This story is completely true, and recollected to the best of my ability. I’ve told a couple of close friends about it and got responses ranging from “you suffered a minor psychological breakdown”, to wry smiles.

Any similar experiences? Can humans commune with all fauna, if we just have the will and the desire to do so?

I love spiders. Well done for looking after Spiddy.

I communicated with ants, when they were overrruning my old kitchen.
They seemed immune to all the usual attacks and I didn't know what else to do, so I addressed them thus-

'Ants, I know you don't mean any harm and you don't sting us, but there are just too many of you coming in. We don't mind the odd few though and well leave food out for you if you stay out of the cupboards.'

No more ants! Well, the odd few, as agreed. :)

escargot said:
I communicated with ants, when they were overrruning my old kitchen.
They seemed immune to all the usual attacks and I didn't know what else to do, so I addressed them thus-

'Ants, I know you don't mean any harm and you don't sting us, but there are just too many of you coming in. We don't mind the odd few though and well leave food out for you if you stay out of the cupboards.'

Ahhhhh Escargot,

If you don't watch Six Feet Under, you really should . . . I think you and Lili Taylor's character would get along famously . . .

-Fitz

Well, that was a good story.
That cheered me up.
TMS, you may have a point there. There is probably some primal method of communication between species that we've forgotten because of 'civilisation'.

Lovely stories!

I think spiders are wonderful - it is good luck to see a money spider, right? For some reason, I have always seen spiders as keeping an eye on me, in a protective way. A few weeks back I was feeling very down, and a little spider appeared and I asked it if it had come to cheer my day as it scampered up the wall. It didn't answer me though - I think that would've freaked me out a bit!

*suddenly remembers end of charlotte's web.:( .*

Cats and dogs often seem to understand the jist of conversations. I bet they have a good laugh at our plodding human ways (through their own super-telepathic powers)

Thanks for the responses guys:)

Although i have never liked spiders (just too weird looking, and also pretty ruthless in their own way), ever since my mum explained how they keep the fly population in check, when i were but a lad, i've always used the old glass / piece of card trick to remove them from houses. With flies and wasps i just roll up the newspaper...

Excellent story, TMS.

I like spiders myself. There are a lot where I live and I've talked them on occasion though it's only to tell them how beautiful they look or to apologize if I've disturbed them. I've never bothered to wait very long for a response. Maybe I will now though.:D

Reminds me of the old woman who talked to bees when she was sitting in the garden, and when she died they all came out for her funeral. Seem to remember they landed on the street sign outside her house ("Bell Close" or "Bell Road") in the shape of a bell...

Don't know if that one was a hoax, or where I read it (probably that enormous brown Readers' Digest book of the paranormal everyone here has probably read at some point.)

I bought the Reader's Digest book of British Folklore recently (all of 20p!) and I think there's section in that on bees.

I dislike killing things and resist buying fly spray but one summer we were overrun with insects. I reluctantly bought some Co-Op fly spray and directed it at the pests. To my amazement they immediately flew out of the back door in a neat convoy and didn't come back! :D

we had a HUGE spider living on the living room curtains recently. i'm not scared of spiders usually, but when i went to the windowsill to check on my houseplants, stuck me nose over the back of the sofa and this fucking THING came at me, i ran screaming in the other direction.

(Any spiders reading this thread at the moment are warned to stay out of my flat as the missus WILL make me kill you, sorry :( )

Nice one.

I also keep a spider or two but i never feed them,one lives in the toilet and never sees any light.
By the way i got bitten by a Black Widow some years ago and having survived this beutiful colbalt blue/black creature i have much respect for them.
A simple cure for such a bite is take 2 Asprin tablets(Asprin in a anticoagulant)
Spiderman Billo

I find you can reason with bees. You just have to explain you're not going to hurt them but you just need them to either co-operate or hold still whilst you remove them and bob's yer uncle.

Wasps and flies don't even get a last request. They just get squished on sight. :splat:

I don't mind spiders per se and will even pick them up to remove them, although I am wary of the big brown house spiders because I've heard they can give you a nasty bite not dissimilar to a hornet sting.

And as for hornets...the ones I've seen in Greece are huge and need immediate anti-histamine shots. Evil evil things. Extermination with a flame thrower is not enough.

is it me or are spiders getting bigger? saw the biggest one i've ever seen "in the wild" just now. as i said, i'm not normally scared of them but once they get to the size where you can't trap them under a pint glass you start to feel that they might pose a real physical threat!

I thought it was because of the more clement climate, central heating and the lack of really nasty pesticides that the spiders come over here and then thrive.

If I can be arsed I'll post 2 really nasty and very true spider tales which will make your toes curl which happened to a good friend of mine and good friends of my parents, and not a whiff of UL about them...

A copy of The Times did not suffice but a DM boot did. Amazing what you can bring back from India these days...:eek:

I've always had a gut-level repulsion to spiders. I know they're good - they eat bugs that are real pests - and I even think they're kinda cute in their own way, but I can be petrified by them. It's more the sight of them. I can wake up with a spider bite and just think, Oh, a spider bite. But if I see even a picture of a spider, I can get sick and not able to eat for the rest of the day, I won't be able to get the image out of my head, etc. If I see a real one, especially if it's big and/or hairy, I will likely run screaming - although it's most important to get rid of it, because if I just lose track of it, I won't be able to think of anything else but how it must be crawling up my leg or dropping down onto my head... you get the idea.

The Zoloft I take (for depression) seems to minimize this. I shouldn't say things like that, because it's not an FDA-approved claim, is it? :D

So I had this breakthrough-type experience recently. I was getting into bed, and saw a little black spider near the floor on my bed. I instinctively grabbed some Kleenex to get it, and it ran under the bed. I was too tired to try hunting it down, or to drag the vacuum up the stairs, so I thought, I'll just ignore it and go to sleep. I expected to be kept awake by worries that it would crawl into my mouth and I'd swallow it, but instead I felt strangely comforted to know it was under my bed, kinda like having a pet.

The story of Spiddy was very sweet. I doubt I could have done all that, even if I upped my Zoloft! ;)

C'mon Tyger Lilly - Don't be shy!

I was doing the travelling thing about 10 years ago, and myself and GF at the time had purchased a beat-up Toyota Corona from a hassidic jew in the Kings Cross car market in Sydney, and then were driving over the Blue Mountains and into the bit of NSW that is mainly agricultural.

After a few days sight-seeing and the like, we decided to start doing ad-hoc work, to try and add some funds back into our respective bank balances.

I've forgotten the name of the exact town (it was either Parkes & Forbes or Griffith) that we found employment, taking up roles of Orange-pickers-in-extraordinary to a sweet old farmer of Italian descent. The pay was not so good, 20 Aussie $ a ton i seem to recall, but the exercise and the open air was a refreshing change from the musty astmosphere of our geriatric jalopy.

The first 2 or 3 days were uneventful, pick oranges, and transfer them from our little collection bibs into the back of a trailer. I was doing the majority of the ladder weork, and my GF was hoovering up the low-lying fruit on the bottom branches of the trees in the orchard.

Anyway, there i am up my ladder when i hear the most inhuman shriek i've ever experienced. Having no idea what's going on, i hightail it down the ladder and into the arms of my disconsolate girl.

After spending 10 minutes calming here down, i discovered the full story - she was picking fruit (gingerly, which was quite ironic as it turms out), when after picking an unusually large and saporous looking orange, turned it around to throw into the bib and FULLY on the "dark side" (ie the side she couldn't see when picked) was a wolf spider. She hurled the orange and let out the wail and i came along. Story over, so i thought.

So, we had a ciggie and i said that if anything else happened then we'd call it a day. She was shaken, but said OK. I mean lightning doesn't strike twice and all that??

Back up my ladder and making good progress, i see this blur of motion below and another cacophonous racket. Cutting a long story short - the spider, when flung, had only got as far as the wellington boot she was wearing, and decided to head north after a few minutes rest.

This time there was no reasoning, no calming down. We were leaving and that was that. To be fair i did see the spider (about 4 feet away, next to a hastily removed boot). and it was a monster. Probably 8cm from leg-tip to leg-tip.

Doing the decent thing (and picking up the cash owed) i was talking to the farmer about it and he nonchalantly mentioned that a spider had got inside his wellies once. That time he was bitten and they had to cut the boot off because his leg swelled to such a size. God, i love laconic Aussies.

OK this is the first one...

A few years back a friend of mine's Dad was the MD of the parent company we both worked for. He used to zip about the world and used to like bringing beautiful quirky gifts for his wife.

One night his wife went to bed and sitting on the wall was a large beige blob. On closer inspection it was a large furry spider about the size of her fist.

She called her son (her husband was currently in Kenya) to come and remove it as she was a bit nervy about it. When her son came in the room even he refused to touch it. Now this spider wasn't a scuttler, infact it looked so darn mean it confidently sat on the wall looking at them both and grinning. Having just come in from the pub and being full of beer he decided it needed a firm hand taking to it!

He thought he would squish it so he went to find a newspaper and came back armed with a copy of The Times. Now, his parent's bedroom was pale blue and his Mum was insistant that he didn't swat it on the wall because it would make a dirty great mess and to knock if on the floor as it would be easier to kill and clear up on the wooden flooring.

When he stood on a chair, he actually recoiled because not only was this beast staring at him but it had whacking great fangs...he knocked it down after a couple of goes and it ran underneath the dressing table. After moving the furniture he proceed to hit it a couple of times with the paper and it coiled into a ball and he thought the was job well down. As he bent down to scrape it up, this thing leapt and I mean leapt, at him and charged him. He is still convinced it had it's fangs out ready to chomp him. He said it was like something out of a horror film and screaming he swat it with the paper to no avail, then finally stamping on it in his DM clad foot until it crunched and became a furry pulp.

Now, these people live in Amersham and there is (was) quite an exotic pet shop nearby. His Mum the next day popped in to it to ask about what kind of spider it may have been. Looking through some books, as the proprietor was insistant it wasn't of this country (and his Mum this planet!!), his Mum put her finger on a picture of what she thought it was. The man laughed and said that the one she pointed at came from Asia and was not deadly but quite toxic if it managed to bite you.

"Unless someone has been to India recently I doubt very much it was that one..."

His Mum paled, his Dad had just returned from Dehli and brought back 2 rather beautiful hand carved marionette puppets and obviously tucked inside had been this beastie. The puppets went straight in the bin and after that she insisted of perfume and jewellry rather than natty gifts.

A wise choise if you ask me!!!

The other one goes like this...(when I did a sign language course I told this in sign which went down a storm...)

Some friends of my parents kept getting a brown rusty coloured stain on the ceiling upstairs. The bloke kept going into the loft but couldn't find anything leaking like a pipe or anything suspicious which would make such a mess so they painted over it. But it came back. And they painted over it again...and again until the wife was pretty pissed off that what ever it was was making a mess and the stain kept growing.

One day she'd had enough and decided to call Rentokil in. If there were no leaking pipes then there must be something up there. The man had a poke about and the said he needed confirmation by someone else and called the RSPCA as if the Rentokil's suspicions were correct he wouldn't be able to remove what he thought it was. It took the RSPCA about 3 days to get there as it was a non-urgent call but when the finally did...

About 20 minutes after the RSPCA man arrived, he came down and went back out to his van to fetch a large net and a big jar. Within 10 minutes he returned with the cause of the stain which was a big fat bird eating spider who had made himself quite at home up in the nice cosy loft with lots of prey. The stain was the remanants of his dinner purtrifying through the lagging...

The couple had returned from hiking round the S American rainforest a couple of years previously and brought this little chappie home in their suitcase (which was stored in the loft) possibly as a little nipper. Although he wasn't poisonous he could give a nasty bite as Tarantulas do. They were asked if they wanted to keep him to which they declined, then had to have their loft sprayed just incase he'd been a pregnant female and they now had a little family up there. Luckily enough he was just one big fat hairy boy.... :D

Christ! I wouldn't have thought it could have survived - not pretty!

Makes my tales of when I lived in the country (where you get gurt bigguns, moi luvver ;). Spiders, that is) pale into insignificance. I remember sitting on the settee fresh out of the shower (me, not the settee), having just come in from a cross-country run. Sat there in the zen-like state you get into having just slogged your guts out over 15k's of hills and bogs, and looked down between my feet to see this spider-shaped carthorse inspecting me quizzically. Fortunately, having just showered, I was wearing flip-flops, and quick as a flash in one fluid motion, left flip-flop was in right hand, right hand was introducing flip-flop to spider's head. I swear the thing was sizing me up. Made a nasty mess on my stripped floorboards though. Not to mention the flip-flop :(.

after reading those imported spider stories i am never ever ever ever leaving europe again.

Tyger Lily: "I find you can reason with bees. You just have to explain you're not going to hurt them but you just need them to either co-operate or hold still whilst you remove them and bob's yer uncle."

What we do in our family is if a bee is buzzing precarilously close to a peanut butter sandwich you are holding just tell her three times: "Don't touch me, I won't touch you." As a rule, they fly away very shortly and never sting. Has anyone here tried any formula like that?

As to communing with spiders, this proves, in my view, that they can get a message: I was vacuuming downstairs recently and had to clean cobwebs in the corner where a spider had nested. I told him: "Hey buddy, why don't you move upstairs where I can't hurt you" and returned to my vacuuming. Sure enough, when I came up to that corner he was gone. An hour or so later I came upstairs and there he was sitting in the bathroom above the tiles. From there he was safely transported into wilderness by way of a window. :)

I also love spiders and have my own "little" Tarantula. It makes me so happy when I read that there are actually people out there that like those little sweeties.
Aaaanyway. I have only a couple of quite undramatic events to add that happened to me.
The first is really a "Thank-you" to a french large house spider that lived in an old mansion in my room which I occupied as an au-pair to a french family over the summer holidays. This family was sort of old nobility and completely stuck up. They never really appreciated me and I felt very alone and depressed, if it wouldn't have been for the spider I "met" who lived between the window and the radiator and who had made a huge funnel web there. First I used to wobble the net just to get her out but later she didn't fall for that anymore. So I smacked some flies and dropped them in. Needless to say, we made cheered each other up a lot.
The other spider worth mentioning was a white french (this time on holiday) spider with a grey cross on her back who lived outside our tent and looked quite hungry. I decided to give her a cube of bacon fat. The next morning the cube was gone and the spider was twice the size, looking very happy indeed.
Spiders in webs do eat all sorts of stuff, it's the large ones that hunt you have to feed live prey.

"Spiders are people too..."
:D

Dingo666 said:
Spiders in webs do eat all sorts of stuff
Aye, last week a came across a small redback spider that had begun eating a wolf spider more than twice it's size that got caught in it's web. First time I've ever come across a spider eating another spider.

Living in the dark.

The spider that lives in the dark(my shower)and does'nt seem to get much to eat,just gave birth to 7 babys.
The webs we spin.
Billo.

OK this is just a coincidence isn't it? My daughter has just come to tell me that there is a large spider on the ceiling of the dining room. Gulp......if I don't return in ten minutes release the hounds.

I am very fond of spiders but as a person with a (non-spider) related phobia I sympathise with arachnophobes and feel disappointed to see drawings of them in the FT and on the website (sic).

When the thing I fear was featured in a mag I'd bought I binned it and never, ever bought it again. (I've been known to stick opaque tape over pictures of **s in books which I HAD to read! :D )

Arachnophobia is one of the commonest phobias. If I published a magazine I wouldn't include gratuitous spider images. Makes ££ sense! ;)

Back