• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Couple Couldn't Conceive Despite Years Of Attempts

Yup, I reckon it's how he thought it was done because that's how he'd been shown it. Or else the wife had been abused in that way and showed him. Something's not right.
No...I'm suggesting that he didn't want babies, just lots of sex.

Reminds me of the yarn in Catch-22 where the doctor has to explain the mechanics of sex to a couple who can't conceive.

He demonstrates with anatomical models, male and female, which are normally kept in separate cabinets to avoid scandal.

The couple watch and listen intently, then turn to each other and stare, and leave together without a word.

Nobody ever finds out what they've actually been doing.

There's lack of education and then there's this.The results were unexpected. Liu discovered that the couple had mistakenly been having anal intercourse rather than vaginal to conceive. According to the Guiyang Evening News, Liu gave the couple a sex-education handbook and within months, the woman became pregnant. To show their appreciation, the two sent Liu a live hen and 100 eggs as a gift.

I had a friend who had volunteered to help out at an Afghan medical clinic. She said that this is a common problem there.

Maybe she didn't want babies and he had no notion.

That method of contraception used to be known in certain circles as 'Greek', because it's how unmarried Greek girls avoided pregnancy.

Snopes has looked into the history of this story, and the results so far don't instill confidence this was a legitimate news item. Snopes currently lists it as 'Unproven'.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/infertile-couple-sex-wrong/

As mentioned previously, it's a story going back years with variations. It assuages a worry that people have that they don't know enough about sex - hey, THAT couple knew NOTHING!

A bit like when you read the newspaper obits and find someone your own age and look down the list for hints of the cause of death and breathe a sigh of relief when you find they've died of something you could NEVER get...

That's just me then?

Back