• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Creepy Things Children Say

Not sure if this should be posted in this or in Reincarnation but what ever its a fascinating story.

"Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting;
The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star,
Hath had elsewhere its setting
And cometh from afar;
Not in entire forgetfulness,
And not in utter nakedness,
But trailing clouds of glory do we come
From God, who is our home:
Heaven lies about us in our infancy!
Shades of the prison-house begin to close
Upon the growing Boy,
But he beholds the light, and whence it flows,
He sees it in his joy;
The Youth, who daily farther from the east
Must travel, still is Nature's priest,
And by the vision splendid
Is on his way attended;
At length the Man perceives it die away,
And fade into the light of common day."

I think we might extend this to the growing Girl, these days!

Wordsworth's finest lines, I think. Elusive, as ever, if you come to analyse what on earth he meant! :oops:

Some years ago, a friend of mine was on the top desk of a bus with her 4 year old, they went past an an ordinary semi detached house, the little boy exclaimed that's where (I've forgotten the name) lives, he can't get out of bed anymore, no one the mother knew lived in the house

I wonder if the whole 'I have no idea where he/she could have heard that word' comes from adults hearing generally 'dulling down' as they age? Kids hearing is incredibly acute, and they often pick on words that sound unusual or interesting, even without being able to put a context to it. They then parrot the word, and if the adults' reaction is suitably awed or gets them masses of attention, they will be sure to do it again.

Never underestimate a child.

Not sureif this is the best place to post this- here goes...

Easter Monday 2022- I volunteered to help with a family trail in a local park, there are 10 stations and a fun filled fact sheet for the kids and adults to follow ending at station 10 where we interact with the little darlings and give them a prize- usually an Easter egg.

Great fun being had by all, particularly grandparents and some of the kids are really creative. Lots of Eggs handed out and stories of creatures seen etc.

One Little girl about 7 years old and her mother come over, laughing and chattering, I asked how it went what was their favourite bit etc and the mother said it was fun but hard work at times as the daughter insisted on talking like a demon most of the way round.
I was somewhat thrown by this, so the child obliged by growling and uttering something that sounded like " got ya,I'll and get you again later" and then giving a sly sideways glance at me whilst laughing in a low tone.

She then shot herself, turned to her mother and said lets share the egg and they wandered off chattering & laughing together.

There was nothing "off" or "Creepy" about either the mother or child apart from those few brief seconds when she looked and sounded like a devil.

Not sure what to make of this, I was wide awake and really not expecting anything out of the ordinary.

Not sureif this is the best place to post this- here goes...

Easter Monday 2022- I volunteered to help with a family trail in a local park, there are 10 stations and a fun filled fact sheet for the kids and adults to follow ending at station 10 where we interact with the little darlings and give them a prize- usually an Easter egg.

Great fun being had by all, particularly grandparents and some of the kids are really creative. Lots of Eggs handed out and stories of creatures seen etc.

One Little girl about 7 years old and her mother come over, laughing and chattering, I asked how it went what was their favourite bit etc and the mother said it was fun but hard work at times as the daughter insisted on talking like a demon most of the way round.
I was somewhat thrown by this, so the child obliged by growling and uttering something that sounded like " got ya,I'll and get you again later" and then giving a sly sideways glance at me whilst laughing in a low tone.

She then shot herself, turned to her mother and said lets share the egg and they wandered off chattering & laughing together.

There was nothing "off" or "Creepy" about either the mother or child apart from those few brief seconds when she looked and sounded like a devil.

Not sure what to make of this, I was wide awake and really not expecting anything out of the ordinary.
I suspect that the family have watched something on TV and the little girl is parroting that. They may not even have realised that she saw it (I used to creep downstairs at night when my parents were watching TV and hide behind a chair. I saw more Steptoe and Son at a formative age than was good for me and I remember my mother being shocked when I knew about the death of Hercules, their horse. How COULD I have known? Well, two ways, first the 'creeping downstairs' thing, and also my bedroom was right over the living room and my parents had the TV turned up to a level at which a child could easily make out dialogue). As I say, never underestimate what children pick up.

Some years back I was taken the Coalettes somewhere or other and some idiot had a disco revival on the radio. "Blasted disco never dies." I muttered.

"Not even," said the youngest Coalette (8½) "if you keep hitting it with a hammer?"

it’s not “creepy” so much, but it is pretty weird.

Last summer my youngest nibling, Tiny Niece, told me about the green cows. This was just around her second birthday, she was just starting to talk properly. Near the village where they live there is a “farm experience” type place, where kids can feed the goats and pet the bunnies and ride the tractors and so on. But Tiny Niece insisted that her favourite thing there was the green cows.

I played along, and asked her if there were purple sheep or orange alpacas, but she insisted that no, just green cows.

Her Mum laughed, and said that yeah, she’s been going on about the green cows all week, no idea where she got it from. Tiny’s big sister, Little Niece (age 4) tells us that Tiny is just teasing us.

It came up a couple more times over the course of the summer, Tiny always insisting on the green cows being her favourite.
Last weekend I went round there for an Easter Sunday BBQ, and we were playing in the garden. We were pretending to go to the farm. Tiny once again told me all about the green cows.

Now this is probably just Tiny ‘teasing’ us, as Little says. Tiny does have an active imagination. But to carry this on for almost a year, a full third of her entire life, is a frankly impressive commitment to the bit.

it’s not “creepy” so much, but it is pretty weird.

Last summer my youngest nibling, Tiny Niece, told me about the green cows. This was just around her second birthday, she was just starting to talk properly. Near the village where they live there is a “farm experience” type place, where kids can feed the goats and pet the bunnies and ride the tractors and so on. But Tiny Niece insisted that her favourite thing there was the green cows.

I played along, and asked her if there were purple sheep or orange alpacas, but she insisted that no, just green cows.

Her Mum laughed, and said that yeah, she’s been going on about the green cows all week, no idea where she got it from. Tiny’s big sister, Little Niece (age 4) tells us that Tiny is just teasing us.

It came up a couple more times over the course of the summer, Tiny always insisting on the green cows being her favourite.
Last weekend I went round there for an Easter Sunday BBQ, and we were playing in the garden. We were pretending to go to the farm. Tiny once again told me all about the green cows.

Now this is probably just Tiny ‘teasing’ us, as Little says. Tiny does have an active imagination. But to carry this on for almost a year, a full third of her entire life, is a frankly impressive commitment to the bit.
They weren’t grass stained where they? Or marked with green? Or maybe she’s getting colours muddled. I don’t know much about children but I think she’s a little young for just doing it to confuse you.

They weren’t grass stained where they? Or marked with green? Or maybe she’s getting colours muddled. I don’t know much about children but I think she’s a little young for just doing it to confuse you.
At two, they often still get colours confused - or she could have seen cows with grass stains on their knees.

At two, they often still get colours confused - or she could have seen cows with grass stains on their knees
I did wonder if she might’ve seen cows marked with green, but her mum and sister didn’t remember seeing any.

Getting colours mixed up does seem the most likely explanation. But she’s just so adamant, still, that they are green.

I mean, she’s also adamant sometimes that she’s a puppy. But that usually only lasts for an afternoon.

I did wonder if she might’ve seen cows marked with green, but her mum and sister didn’t remember seeing any.

Getting colours mixed up does seem the most likely explanation. But she’s just so adamant, still, that they are green.

I mean, she’s also adamant sometimes that she’s a puppy. But that usually only lasts for an afternoon.
'I wish it were so, therefore it IS so.' Good on her.

When my brother was around 10 years old he went through a phase of talking in his sleep, nightmares etc. I was yet to be born at the time and my mum told me this tale many years after.

One night my dad was on night work so mum was alone in the house with my brother and sister. In the early hours she was woken by my brother calling for her and, half asleep, she quickly went into his room to make sure he was ok.

When she entered the room she heard my brother say in a loud whisper " Don't move, there is a man behind the door with a knife" . Needless to say she froze in terror and only after what seemed like an age did she manage to pluck up the courage to look around the door, thankfully there was no one there. This was closely followed by the sound of snoring from my brother who had been asleep throughout and had no recollection of it next day.

A friend has a granddaughter staying for a couple of days. She's been complaining she hears someone walking down the hall at night. My friend's husband does as well.
I've sent her down a few books on occasion and had some earrings for her today so she asked if she could come to say hello when my friend sent her husband down with something .
When she went back she said that she felt a lot of psychic energy in my home.
Both she and her Mother are known to be a bit psychic.

Maybe they're the ones that give us semi-skimmed milk?
Actually, I can see this being an origin... child asks why some milk comes in green topped containers and some in blue. Doting teasing parents says that the green topped milk comes from green cows and the blue topped milk from blue cows. Child can see that no cows are apparently green, but maybe 'green' means something else to adults other than the colour? So likes the 'green' cows - because, obviously there are green cows, Daddy says they're the ones that give the milk in the green topped containers...

Re: the green cows comments, I wonder if the child had seen Holstein cattle and misheard and heard it as "green".

Also, children, even at a relatively young age, do have a funny sense of humour. I would not put it past her that she was teasing. Especially as her older sister said she was. Siblings know each other much better than anyone else.

Back