• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crisps (Potato Chips & Similar Snacks)

Some balsamic vinegar has a high sugar content.
I'm willing to bet none of that had made its way into the general public consciousness of the UK in the late 60s :) . (My bluff Northern credentials will be absolutely shredded when I admit that a very tolerable condiment for mushy peas is a splash of balsamic vinegar.)

I'm willing to bet none of that had made its way into the general public consciousness of the UK in the late 60s :) . (My bluff Northern credentials will be absolutely shredded when I admit that a very tolerable condiment for mushy peas is a splash of balsamic vinegar.)
Well, yes. That ol' chipshop vinegar has mostly been of the same type (malt vinegar), or some variant thereof. So, not that sweet.

I think that Nik Naks are really Twiglets. ;)

Aren't Twiglets Marmite flavoured? You don't get Marmite Nik-Naks, do you? Or do you?

Yep & sadly no.
++++++++++++++++++++
Golden Wonder changed the bag colours, btw.
++++++++++++++++++++
Oxo flavoured crisps. (& no they're not available anymore)

Twiglets are savoury like marmite but have loads more pepper in them. And marmite smells different.
And there's nothing to stop you getting nik-naks (I guess nice & spicy would be most appropriate seeing as they dont taste of much anyway) and dipping them in marmite.
And why is marmite so unwieldy anyway? I would've expected them to produce a version with a more gloopy consistency, a-la-mayonaisse, so that it spreads more easily, or even in a sort of spray-on version? I know they've produced a squeezy bottle of marmite but that's just the same thing but in a squeezy bottle, no more easily spreadable, it still tears the bread.
Sorry I feel I've strayed somewhat from the thread with questions about the existence of marmite.

And why is marmite so unwieldy anyway? I would've expected them to produce a version with a more gloopy consistency, a-la-mayonaisse, so that it spreads more easily, or even in a sort of spray-on version? I know they've produced a squeezy bottle of marmite but that's just the same thing but in a squeezy bottle, no more easily spreadable, it still tears the bread.
That is the main reason why I buy the Sainsbury's equivalent. It seems almost impossible to use Marmite properly.

Can you get bovril crisps? I like bovril. On a bit of toast....mmmmm. Spreads much easier than marmite too.

Marmite is the guvner imo - other versions are just pale imitations. It has to sting yer gums. Twiglets used to be much more pokey years ago but they've been toned down & are milder these days. Even so, I have to limit buying them as I still find them more addictive than crack cocaine & can't stop myself finishing the whole packet once opened, no matter how large.

Twiglets are savoury like marmite but have loads more pepper in them. And marmite smells different.
And there's nothing to stop you getting nik-naks (I guess nice & spicy would be most appropriate seeing as they dont taste of much anyway) and dipping them in marmite.
Sorry I feel I've strayed somewhat from the thread with questions about the existence of marmite.

A few years ago there was a "squeezy" version similar to the Mayo and mustard that you can still get. I think it must have had a different consistency and therefore recipe. Didn't seem to last long, I never tried it.

They also had a 'vintage' version which I tried a while ago, with extra marmiteness. Not sure if it's still available.

shopping

They also had a 'vintage' version which I tried a while ago, with extra marmiteness. Not sure if it's still available.

shopping
Now that was really good stuff. I had some.

I had some Walkers chilli con carne flavour crisps yesterday. Not that wonderful, just OK.

Speaking of Walkers, what is it with them and their packaging of cheese & onion crisps in a blue bag? Everyone knows that cheese & onion is green whilst salt & vinegar is blue! Grrrrrrrr! Bring back Tudor crisps, that’s what I say.....proper bloody crisps!

Speaking of Walkers, what is it with them and their packaging of cheese & onion crisps in a blue bag? Everyone knows that cheese & onion is green whilst salt & vinegar is blue! Grrrrrrrr! Bring back Tudor crisps, that’s what I say.....proper bloody crisps!
I've been caught out many times by that deception. Nothing worse than expecting cheese and onion and you get a mouthful of salt and vinegar - I wonder if I can sue them for compensation for my suffering.

I've been caught out many times by that deception. Nothing worse than expecting cheese and onion and you get a mouthful of salt and vinegar - I wonder if I can sue them for compensation for my suffering.
Aaah but where do you stand on Seabrooks Cheese and Onion which come in a nice bright yellow bag?
1610983842052.png

Personally, I never stand on crisps.

Aaah but where do you stand on Seabrooks Cheese and Onion which come in a nice bright yellow bag?
View attachment 34009
Personally, I never stand on crisps.
The island of Ireland's two Tayto companies add even more confusion to the mix - Ireland's Tayto goes for a nice red while the Northern Irish Tayto prefers a largely yellow pack.

5eb40c0a29f72.jpg
51UzYB50hlL._AC_.jpg

Canny bag of crisps, Tudor.
It’s a Northern thing. But that reminded me of some of the collectibles they offered. Of interest to all tiny Forteans at that time were the ‘Wear Em Scare Ems. I sent off for a skull and crossbones but there were some other really bizarre ones - shrunken heads, voodoo masks, werewolf faces etc. The images may be copyright so I’ll leave it to you all to search google or your memories for these odd things.

Is it really too much bother to read the packet?

Back