• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crop Circles

So how was the northern season this year? I found the discussion board for the croppies (featuring 'super-croppy' Paul Vigay), but it seems to be a nasty sort of place for the casual inquisitive. So I haven't bothered to sign up there. Shame about that. I've still so many questions about the phenomenon. If anyone here posts there, could you advise them to clean up their act a bit and keep their trolls in a seperate cage or somethin'? Ta.

Here 'tis.

It's been awhile since I posted here about crop circles (formerly drwu23...I'm posting now as dr_wu).
What's the latest news about this past season for 2006? Did anyone in England come forward with the ultimate answer to the 'mystery'?
Is it aliens, GAIA, the gubbermint, or just those clever humans.
;)

It's happening again. The first one is down at Oliver's Castle in Witshire (site of the infamous cc creation video hoax of last century).

oliverscastle2007a.gif

This link shows some quite interesting geometric analysis on page 2. This is a huge design (well over 300 ft in diameter), and sits in oilseed rape - a crop which is extremely brittle and liable to a great deal of damage from the 'stomping' technique used by most cc makers. They are certainly very crafty, these people. ;)

skinny46 said:
...a huge design (well over 300 ft in diameter), and sits in oilseed rape - a crop which is extremely brittle and liable to a great deal of damage from the 'stomping' technique used by most cc makers. They are certainly very crafty, these people. ;)

They have Devizes to make them...

Crop Circles have been a bit off the paranomal radar for a while now, we must be about due for renewed spate of reports and interest.

They have Devizes to make them...
:)
Yes they do, but they 'Ave-bury ed the facts of construction with Overtons of mystery. We Kennet get at the truth, of which there are Longbarrows as yet undiscovered.

So many questions. Shame people are so easily gulled into surrendering their sense of wonder by the ever cynical media. I'm still impressed and awed and very much open to the possibility of unexplained energies causing some of the formations.

So many questions. Shame people are so easily gulled into surrendering their sense of wonder by the ever cynical media. I'm still impressed and awed and very much open to the possibility of unexplained energies causing some of the formations.

Personally I think it's clever people but what unexplained energies are you referring to? Aliens, other entities, or GAIA...?

No spooky stuff, just the possibility that electrical charges from descending water tables, microwave anomolies and such may have created the simple formations of the early phenomenon which resourceful and creative people have since appropriated for their own ends - whatever those may be. I still say there are more questions than answers in this issue. Where I have trouble is that it seems highly unlikely that natural forces could create something as complex as Milk Hill 2001, but I'm equally dubious of the explanation that teams of people were able to produce that perfect and complex design (409 individual circles) in 5 hours in a rainstorm and yet leave no trace of their activities. Nary a footprint. In saturated mud. I'm not saying that's not exactly what happened, but I'd be very interested to see how they did it.

I'm still open for business with the crop circles. I think they're damn fine.

Really? Those BoLs must be bad ass mofos, Jones! Much rispek!

Interesting.
Warning high-pitched sound - take care if wearing headphones.

skinny46: I'm equally dubious of the explanation that teams of people were able to produce that perfect and complex design (409 individual circles) in 5 hours in a rainstorm and yet leave no trace of their activities. Nary a footprint. In saturated mud. I'm not saying that's not exactly what happened, but I'd be very interested to see how they did it.

Well..how sure are we it was done in the rain? Perhaps it was done the night before but not discovered until a day later? Who says there were no footprints? Did trained observers look or are we taking the word of 'bleevers' in the circle mystery?
I also am amazed at these complex designs, but I cannot imagine why some unknown alien intelligence would bother to do them year after year.
To me they feel like the work of talented artists out for a bit of fun.

The answers to those questions are all obvious if one is interested enough to investigate the situation for oneself. I have no intention of crusading on behalf of people who believe in ETs. Any number of websites exist that provide deep and detailed interpretations drawn from various kinds of research from the purely academic to the purely arcane.

skinny46 said:
The answers to those questions are all obvious if one is interested enough to investigate the situation for oneself. I have no intention of crusading on behalf of people who believe in ETs. Any number of websites exist that provide deep and detailed interpretations drawn from various kinds of research from the purely academic to the purely arcane.

yes...and it's obvious talented people are making them.

:D

Crop circles are back, and this time they're in 3-D!
Last updated at 22:43pm on 1st July 2007

A floor of chequered tiles stretches down a long, high-ceilinged corridor with doors leading off each side.

And the art of crop circles reaches a new height of sophistication.

The astonishing three-dimensional design, 200ft in diameter, has been created in a wheat field at Silbury Hill, Wiltshire.

Only yards away are the 5,000-year-old West Kennet Longbarrow burial grounds, one of the largest and most impressive Neolithic graves in Britain.

The astonishing three-dimensional design, 200ft in diameter, has been created in a wheat field at Silbury Hill, Wiltshire

According to folklore, the mound is traditionally visited at sunrise on Midsummer's Day by a white figure accompanied by a white hound with red ears.

It has been the setting for several crop circles in the past, including an elaborate 350ft pattern featuring a giant Egyptian mosaic in the shape of two wings, surrounded by symbols which bear a striking resemblance to the Mayan calendar which predicted that the world will end in 2012.

The latest design was photographed by Steve Alexander, who with his wife Karen, a writer, has been researching crop circles for more than 15 years.

Mrs Alexander-said: "It's one of the most architectural designs we have seen, rather than purely geometric.

"In traditional geometry a square represents material reality and a circle represents the divine or heavenly realm.

"A lot of people are saying this circle represents the passageway through the physical world to the divine world."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1770

pics on page

And here's one the Mail discovered earlier (again with a pic):

Pyramid-style crop circle points the way to Wiltshire's White Horse
Last updated at 14:27pm on 19th June 2007

Crop circle season has started early this year but in a familiar setting after this impressive three-dimensional pyramid design was discovered at Milk Hill in Wiltshire.

The 175-foot formation was spotted by early morning commuters on the A361 Devises to Alton Barnes road.

Just metres from the chalk White Horse on the slope at Milk Hill, the pattern consists of a pyramid shape within a circle, surrounded by four smaller circles.

Milk Hill is common ground for crop circles with some of the world's most impressive formations appearing there each year.

Crop circle expert Steve Alexander said: "There seems to be a different crop circle at Milk Hill every year but each time they grow more spectacular.

"At first glance it looks like a three-dimensional view of a pyramid. Numerogically this formation seems to deal with the relationship between three and five.

"A two-dimensional representation of the pyramid is a triangle and has three points whereas a three-dimensional has five."

Traditionally formations tend to appear in July or August but despite the problems of the recent bad weather in Britain enthusiast claim more are developing early on in the year.

Steve added: "There have been quite a few appearing as early as April, which is outstanding really. To have this many this soon is unheard of.

"One of the reasons they have not been seen is because photographing has been problematic lately as the weather has been unreasonably wet and cloudy."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1770

http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/ ... ystery.php

The strongest evidence so far that some crop circles are not man made was presented to a choice gathering at the Coronation Hall in Alton Barnes yesterday.

Norwegian film maker Terje Toftenes presented the DVD he has made of the extraordinary circumstances surrounding the creation of a massive crop formation in East Field, Alton Barnes, on July 7.

Most formations are discovered the morning after and some have even been created in fields with observers sitting on overlooking hills.

But on the morning in question, dedicated UFO hunter Winston Keech had a battery of cameras, from CCTV to state-of-the-art digicams, trained on the field on the off chance that something might happen.

He was joined by Gary King and his partner Paul Presdee-Jones, who had also decided to climb to the top of Knap Hill, near Alton Barnes, on a spur-of-the-moment whim.

They had already met the previous evening at the "croppies" cafe at Cherhill, near Calne, when Mr Keech had become rather excited about a DVD that was being shown about lights that sometimes accompany the appearance of crop circles.

advertisement
He had explained that something similar had happened to him in 1990 when he all but witnessed the creation of a simple circle in crops in East Field.

Little did he know he would witness the creation of something a lot more complex.

At around 1.35am on July 7 Mr Keech, helped by Mr King, completed the last sweep of the area using a camera equipped with night vision. No formation was visible in the field.

Then it became intensely dark and nothing was seen. But at 3.13am there was a flash of what Mr Keech described as sheet lightning.

It appeared on the video footage and lasted four microseconds. Twenty minutes later, at 3.20am, there was enough light to make out the formation in the field below.

It was one of the largest ever seen. It measured 1,033 feet long and consisted of 150 circles, the largest of which was 164ft across.

Ms Presdee-Jones said: "We all went mad. Gary was dancing a jig."

Mr King told the gathering: "I had to be the first one in the circle. As soon as it was light enough to see where we were going, we went down.

"The corn had a glass-like quality to it and it snapped like glass when we stepped on it. My dog, Blue, went berserk.

"He is a dedicated meat eater, but he started eating the crop as though he was ravenous. Then he was violently sick."

Veteran crop circle investigator Lucy Pringle said the circumstances surrounding the formation made it very dramatic.

She said: "Because of the undulations in the field, it is impossible for someone standing at one side of the formation to see anyone standing at the other end.

"When I was standing in the centre of the formation, I couldn't see people in the lower part of formation."

Mr Toftenes pointed out another extraordinary element in the situation. He said: "Although from the air the circles look perfectly round, they are, in fact, ovals.

"Allowance has been made for the undulations in the ground and the only place you can see that the circles are perfect is from the air."

Mr King said: "The floodgates need to open now and allow all the research carried out by some very clever people to be made public.

"It is time to listen to all the people who have been looking at this phenomenon for so many years."

Ms Pringle said that samples of the crop have been sent for analysis to laboratories in Yorkshire.

Sounds good if true 8)

Heeeey! I saw a crop circle on my way home from work this afternoon...
It was just off the A58 south of Wetherby...

It must've been done by a very inexperienced circlemaker, sorry, alien, though. It was too bland and almost on the top of the rise, making it hard to be seen by onlookers. Unless you're cruising overhead in a, you know...

:lol:

The most complex, "mind-boggling" crop circle ever to be seen in Britain has been discovered in a barley field in Wiltshire.

The circle is a coded representation of pi to the 10th significant figure

The formation, measuring 150ft in diameter, is apparently a coded image representing the first 10 digits, 3.141592654, of pi.

It is has appeared in a field near Barbury Castle, an iron-age hill fort above Wroughton, Wilts, and has been described by astrophysicists as "mind-boggling".

Michael Reed, an astrophysicist, said: "The tenth digit has even been correctly rounded up. The little dot near the centre is the decimal point.

"The code is based on 10 angular segments with the radial jumps being the indicator of each segment.

"Starting at the centre and counting the number of one-tenth segments in each section contained by the change in radius clearly shows the values of the first 10 digits in the value of pi."

Lucy Pringle, a researcher of crop formations, said: "This is an astounding development - it is a seminal event."

Mathematics codes and geometric patterns have long been an important factor in crop circle formations. One of the best known formations showed the image of a highly complex set of shapes known as The Julia Set, 12 years ago.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... ields.html

maximus otter

"Starting at the centre and counting the number of one-tenth segments in each section contained by the change in radius clearly shows the values of the first 10 digits in the value of pi."
OK, I'll take their word for it (although I may check in more detail later).

But what are the three circles near the perimeter?

I've just checked on Michael Reed. He is mentioned several times on the web as being an astrophysicist; eg:
Michael Reed was educated at Yale University and Stanford University, and received a Ph.D. in mathematics in 1969. He taught at Princeton University from 1968 through 1974, when he received an appointment at Duke University. He worked on the various aspects of the MMT, including selection of the alt-azimuth mount during the 1970s.

http://siarchives.si.edu/research/video ... g9542.html
But I wonder how this elderly American scientist got involved with a British crop circle...?

crop circle makers use base 10 ?

How mundane...

rynner said:
But what are the three circles near the perimeter?

My question is answered in the Mail's version of the story, which also includes a coloured diagram to explain how Pi is counted out:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ircle.html

The circles represent an ellipsis (i.e. ... ), indicating that the decimal representation of Pi goes on forever! Neat! 8)

The crop circle also includes the decimal point in 3.14...

The Graunaid

Maybe Her Madge, is a subscriber to FT, she could be lurking on this board even as we type...

Crop circle hunt at Sandringham
Press Association The Guardian, Saturday 24 January 2009

The mysterious phenomenon of crop circles has for decades baffled scientists, members of the public, and, it now emerges, the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh.

The monarch's "interest" is revealed in a written in 1990 to an investigator of the subject, Colin Andrews, while the duke took out a subscription to a newsletter written by Andrews on his research. Crop circles, or agriglyphs, are complex geometric patterns found impressed in field crops and other vegetation; they can also be found on snow, sand and ice.

In 1990 the Queen's then private secretary, Robert Fellowes, now a peer, replied to a note from Andrews. The official correspondence posted on the latter's website stated: "Her Majesty has taken an interest in the mysterious crop circles for some time and was sad to hear your results of years of research into the question are at risk through lack of funds."

The note also reveals that at that time there were no circles at the Queen's private Sandringham estate. Buckingham Palace yesterday declined to answer questions on her interest, saying it did not comment on private correspondence.

It must be spring! The first of this year's crop circles has been spotted
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 5:40 PM on 18th April 2009

Just when you thought crop circles were a thing of the past, the first mysterious formation of 2009 has been spotted.

The intricate pattern measuring approximately 60 ft in diameter was spotted on Tuesday in a remote area near Avebury in Wiltshire.
It is made up of two segments of arcs of decreasing size between the concentric inner circles.

The ancient area of Wiltshire close to Silbury Hill, Windmill Hill and the Sanctuary is a hot spot for crop circles.
Photographer Lucy Pringle, who lives near Petersfield, Hampshire, has become something of a national expert on the crop circle phenomenon since being hooked by their mystery in 1990.
She said: 'In all the hundreds I've captured, no two are identical.
'I look into the scientific aspects of these circles and research the effects of electromagnetic fields on our living systems.'
The mystery of how crop circles are created has never been solved.
Cynics have claimed the patterns are the work of computer scientists using teams of volunteers.

However crop circle enthusiasts argue there are not enough hours of darkness in summer to allow them to be completed by humans.
Many people believe the patterns are a message from extra-terrestrial lifeforms.
Another theory is that colossal energy is amassed above the earth in the ionosphere and then zapped towards the ground where it creates the crop circle usually on chalky ground in areas traditionally known for their 'energy lines' and mystical past.
In the past the formations have not been limited to just circles.

Shapes include a bee, a rectangle and even a three-dimensional formation.

Last year a crop circle in a barley field near Wroughton in Wiltshire was found by an astrophysicist to be a pictorial representation of the first ten digits of Pi, one of the most fundamental symbols in mathematics.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... otted.html

Also pics of previous years' circles, some of which I'd not seen.

That'll be the mildly radioactive flying saucers that crashed there centuries ago...

Crop circle found in Wiltshire
A huge intricate crop circle sculpted in a sea of barley has appeared near an ancient British burial mound in Wiltshire.
Last Updated: 2:36PM BST 29 May 2009

The formation, measuring approximately 350ft (100 metres), seems to depict a Yin Yang pattern and appeared on May 25 beneath Windmill Hill, near Devizes.

It was captured on camera at an area close to the great man-made mound of Silbury Hill, Wiltshire.

As many other crop circles previously spotted in the area, it seems to follow the Yin and Yang theme.

The green and then golden fields of the world's crop circle capital of Wiltshire have spawned an array of patterns in the past that have fascinated those who seek them out.

Enthusiasts and experienced crop pattern hunters have often spotted formations appearing close to these sacred sites.

The crop circle season extends from April to harvesting in September, and is believed to be worth millions of pounds to the local economy.

Windmill Hill is thought to date to the Early Neolithic period some 5000 years ago, 3700 BC and was constructed as a causeway enclosure. It is the largest known of its kind measuring 21 acres (8.5ha).

It consists of three rings of concentric ditches, which were probably dug out in the same manner as the deep Avebury ditch, using antlers and oxen shoulder blades.

It was a major task taking many man-hours over many years.

It is thought that the camp was at its most important as a farming community during a relatively peaceful and prosperous time of approximately 3000- 3500 years until the advent of the Romans when their presence is evidenced by traces of a villa found on the western slopes of the mound.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... shire.html

Back