• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Curious Phobias & Irrational Fears

Here in the UK, it's also called a "sunroof", though I'm not sure why. Probably the British sense of irony at work...

Great story with the hawk and the snake, by the way!
Ooops. Well, I guess it is a moonroof. And thanks for enjoying the story - it is much better at a remove than directly experienced. :)

One word that puts fear on the hearts of men, “ dentist “.

I hate the dentist and it is expensive on top of it all.

terrified of dentists, have been since I was child when we had a dentist who had enormous fingers and seemed to be nearly blind. I managed to go with the children when they had check ups and was gradually getting over it, then I had to have an emergency root canal after a botched filing.

Now I have to be dragged in with someone to make sure iI stay- Scary, painful, costly-

I have a lot of Phobias.

I am lucky my wife is understanding and did not leave me.

I fear heights, enclosed spaces, dentists, etc.

I can only sit on an end seat in a theater or a meeting room close to the exit door.

Before covid, to get me to see a movie was really hard for me.

I have a lot of Phobias.

I can only sit on an end seat in a theater or a meeting room close to the exit door.

That must be difficult for you. My only one is slight claustrophobia and even that doesn't occur all the time.

I have a lot of Phobias.

You wouldn't want a small dentists surgery at the top of a skyscraper then :p

Phobias are a strange thing. My dad was what was referred to as a "man's man". Smoked, drank, played all the sports, got quite high in his profession, couldn't stand any display of emotion and was pretty ruthless in many respects. Show him even a tiny spider and he'd be a jabbering wreck.

Phobias are a strange thing. My dad was what was referred to as a "man's man". Smoked, drank, played all the sports, got quite high in his profession, couldn't stand any display of emotion and was pretty ruthless in many respects. Show him even a tiny spider and he'd be a jabbering wreck.
Lots of people are afraid of those. It's one of the commonest fears.
(Some can't even tolerate the word.)

As I've no doubt mentioned ad nauseam, if I worked in advertising or promotion I'd never use such imagery because it upsets too many people.
Not compassion, just sound business sense. :nods:

Here are couple of thusly-themed adverts that no doubt had the 'phobes muttering 'You lot can fuck RIGHT off!' before clicking away.
Wanted to spolier them but it doesn't work on videos. :mad:

Audi RS4 - TV Advert

Royal Marines recruitment advert

8 legged trigger warning ahead!

FB_IMG_1631234349126.jpg

Not sure if I still have this as I haven't tested it for many a year, but, walking past lift (elevator) doors in say a multi story carpark. I'm ok if I'm with someone or other people are around, but if I'm on my own it's terrible. I have to get as far away as I can and walk very fast to get past them. In fact any closed door in an 'industrial' type area like that.

terrified of dentists, have been since I was child when we had a dentist who had enormous fingers and seemed to be nearly blind. I managed to go with the children when they had check ups and was gradually getting over it, then I had to have an emergency root canal after a botched filing.

Now I have to be dragged in with someone to make sure iI stay- Scary, painful, costly-
I can't even walk past our local one. Just the smell when the door opens.... My doctor gave me tranquillisers to take before I went, which didn't work and I ended up having to be admitted to hospital for dental issues.

And, as far as I am concerned, they'll have to admit me again to get anything done.

Last night I was watching a sewing video on YouTube where one of the steps was to hand-sew the last seam closed. There were close-ups of the process showing the needle going in and out of the fabric to demonstrate the technique.

It really made me shudder, actually turning away in horror.

I do a lot of sewing of all kinds but being physically clumsy my hand-sewing usually results in stabbing at least one finger. The pain is disproportionately strong - it shoots right up the inside of your arm to your biceps.
Sometime I catch the skin under a nail which is just excruciating.

As pinning fabrics is also hazardous I invested in about a million of those nifty little clips instead. Bliss. :cool:

I can't even walk past our local one. Just the smell when the door opens.... My doctor gave me tranquillisers to take before I went, which didn't work and I ended up having to be admitted to hospital for dental issues.

And, as far as I am concerned, they'll have to admit me again to get anything done.
Never really had a problem with dentists, although having had an anesthetic last time, it wasn't too good. Camera down the old chap, that's my biggest fear at the moment.

Last night I was watching a sewing video on YouTube where one of the steps was to hand-sew the last seam closed. There were close-ups of the process showing the needle going in and out of the fabric to demonstrate the technique.

It really made me shudder, actually turning away in horror.

I do a lot of sewing of all kinds but being physically clumsy my hand-sewing usually results in stabbing at least one finger. The pain is disproportionately strong - it shoots right up the inside of your arm to your biceps.
Sometime I catch the skin under a nail which is just excruciating.

As pinning fabrics is also hazardous I invested in about a million of those nifty little clips instead. Bliss. :cool:
Being a modern man (and tight as a ducks a**e), I often used to mend my clothes, but nowadays it takes me about half an hour just to get the thread through the damn needle.

Reactions: RaM
Being a modern man (and tight as a ducks a**e), I often used to mend my clothes, but nowadays it takes me about half an hour just to get the thread through the damn needle.
You can buy easy-threading needles on Amazon. Haberdashers probably do them too.
They took my hand-sewing to a new level. :cool:

You don't have to thread them, just drag the thread vaguely over the top. Sorcery.

Don’t all sewing kits come with a needle threader?
1637329545375.jpeg

You can buy easy-threading needles on Amazon. Haberdashers probably do them too.
They took my hand-sewing to a new level. :cool:

You don't have to thread them, just drag the thread vaguely over the top. Sorcery.
I have to see this!

I have to see this!
Just look on Amazon for 'easy thread needles'.

Sharp, cheap and easy. Like me. :chuckle:

Edit - in town just now I dropped by the haberdashery and checked for them, and yup they are for sale in our dreary backwater so you should be able to get them. :chuckle:

They are available for pennies on Amazon though.

Last edited:
The Guardian excelled themselves recently with an article on how to mend a moth-eaten jumper. Their invaluable advice? Send it off to a repair service. :rofl:

The Guardian excelled themselves recently with an article on how to mend a moth-eaten jumper. Their invaluable advice? Send it off to a repair service. :rofl:
I love repairing clothes and read that article eagerly, hoping to learn something. :)
No chance. :chuckle:

lt was the Groan; what did you expect?

Were the alternatives:

b) Pull your husband off the au pair and have her do it.

c) Pull off your husband on condition he does it.

d) Ask Dymphna or Hyssop at your LGBT+ vegan Tai Chi drumming circle if they can recommend a bijou little bespoke couturier.

maximus otter

Back