• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dangerous Play (Playgrounds; Carnivals; Amusement Parks; Etc.)

A drop tower ride in India suffered a failure, its passenger platform free-fell circa 50 feet to the ground, and multiple riders had to be hospitalized.
Video shows an amusement park ride malfunctioning, sending over a dozen riders hurtling 50 feet to the ground

A video posted on Sunday evening appears to show part of an amusement park ride in India crashing to the ground with dozens of people on board.

The ride was a "drop tower" attraction that broke at a fair in Mohali, a district of the Indian state of Punjab, according to local network NDTV. It malfunctioned around 9:15 p.m. on Sunday, the broadcaster reported.

The attraction featured a tower and a circular platform, which spun as it ascended the tower. When it reached the top, it plummeted abruptly, smashing into the ride's bottom.

A clip of the incident was tweeted by Nikhil Choudhary, a journalist for Hindi-language broadcaster TV9, who filmed the video at the fair. ...

Around 50 people were on board the 50-foot tall attraction and half of them were injured, Choudhary told Insider. He estimated that 16 women and children were hospitalized. ...
FULL STORY (With Twitter Video): https://www.insider.com/video-park-ride-breaking-sending-riders-hurtling-50-feet-down-2022-9

A drop tower ride in India suffered a failure, its passenger platform free-fell circa 50 feet to the ground, and multiple riders had to be hospitalized.

FULL STORY (With Twitter Video): https://www.insider.com/video-park-ride-breaking-sending-riders-hurtling-50-feet-down-2022-9

Terrifying. This is why I don't go on these sorts of things. My father was a hydraulic engineer and one aspect of his job was (2 weeks out from opening) to check the major fair ground rides at Sydney's Royal Easter Show - Australia's largest agricultural show.
The number of rides that would malfunction back then used to scare me as a child, particularly after both he and my sister were caught at the top of a large ferris wheel for some hours.
Nope, not for me.

A young Australian woman who'd only recently learned to walk again after being seriously injured in a car crash last year walked onto a rollercoaster track to retrieve her cellphone. She was struck by a fast-moving coaster, dragged along the tracks, and dropped circa 9 meters. She's in critical condition.
Woman, who just learned to walk after car crash, hit by rollercoaster after being on track, video shows

Shylah Rodden, the victim of a horrific rollercoaster accident Sunday in Australia, had walked on the track to retrieve a cell phone, a video posted to social media showed.

Rodden, 26, remains in a critical condition at Royal Melbourne Hospital after she walked onto the rollercoaster track at the Royal Melbourne Show on Sunday night and was struck by the coaster.

According to news.com.au, Rodden was trying to retrieve a dropped phone from beneath the track when she was struck and dragged 25 feet into the air before falling.

Rodden had just learned to walk again after a horrific car crash last year. ...

The coaster was travelling more than 40 miles per hour. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.al.com/life/2022/09/wom...coaster-after-being-on-track-video-shows.html

See Also:
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/r...h/news-story/c14955bb45725b4319a5d3daeeb328bc

A young Australian woman who'd only recently learned to walk again after being seriously injured in a car crash last year walked onto a rollercoaster track to retrieve her cellphone. She was struck by a fast-moving coaster, dragged along the tracks, and dropped circa 9 meters. She's in critical condition.

FULL STORY: https://www.al.com/life/2022/09/wom...coaster-after-being-on-track-video-shows.html

See Also:
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/r...h/news-story/c14955bb45725b4319a5d3daeeb328bc

The phrase “appointment in Samarra” comes to mind.

maximus otter

See Also:
Terminal stupidity, after all she'd been through?

A teen amusement park visitor fell to his death in Orlando last night.
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/florida-orlando-d03a753b6ac928a86222c0f3b1134619

Update ... The amusement park seems to have reached a settlement agreement with the victim's (Tyre Sampson's) family. Among other things, the park will be removing the FreeFall ride from which Sampson fell to his death.
Orlando Slingshot will take down FreeFall ride where teen died

Orlando Slingshot announced Thursday it will take down the 400-foot-tall FreeFall ride at ICON Park in Florida in response to the accidental death of 14-year-old Tyre Sampson, who fell from the ride in March.

"... We have listened to the wishes of Tyre's family and the community, and have made the decision to take down the FreeFall," Orlando Slingshot's Ritchie Armstrong said in a statement. "In addition, Orlando Slingshot will honor Tyre and his legacy in the classroom and on the football field by creating a scholarship in his name." ...

The timing of the ride's takedown will be determined "by the approvals of all involved parties and regulatory entities," the statement said. Details on the scholarship are being developed. ...

An autopsy determined that Tyre died of blunt force trauma when he fell more than 70 feet from the FreeFall ride. The Medical Examiner in Orange County also determined that Tyre exceeded the 287-pound weight limit of the ride. ...

Tyre's family filed a wrongful death lawsuit in April. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/202...-to-be-taken-down-tyre-sampson/2541665084607/

A steam train ride derailed at a Branson (Missouri) theme park, injuring 7 people.
Train Ride Derails at Silver Dollar City Amusement Park, Injuring 6 Guests and 1 Employee

A steam train at a popular Branson, Missouri amusement park derailed Wednesday night, sending seven people to area hospitals.

According to a statement from Silver Dollar City, six guests and one employee were injured during the incident.

"Silver Dollar City confirms that earlier this evening, sections of the Frisco Silver Dollar Line Steam Train derailed from the track," a message on the company's Facebook page read. "Onsite paramedics provided emergency care until first responders arrived." ...
FULL STORY (With Photos & Video): https://people.com/human-interest/7...derails-at-silver-dollar-city-amusement-park/

Update ... The amusement park seems to have reached a settlement agreement with the victim's (Tyre Sampson's) family. Among other things, the park will be removing the FreeFall ride from which Sampson fell to his death.

Update ... The amusement park operator has been fined $250,000. Multiple lawsuits are apparently still in progress.
Fine of $250K leveled in Florida amusement park death

The operator of an Orlando amusement park ride from which a Missouri teenager fell to his death should pay a $250,000 fine and can never hold a ride permit in Florida again, state officials said Tuesday.

Fourteen-year-old Tyre Sampson fell to his death from the 400-foot (122-meter) drop tower ride operated by Orlando Slingshot in March. ...

An autopsy showed that Tyre ... weighed 383 pounds (173 kilograms), well above the ride manual’s weight limit of 287 pounds (130 kilograms).

The ride, on Orlando’s tourist-friendly International Drive, is being dismantled. ...

Requirements are being put in place that will ensure Florida amusement rides are safe going forward, and the department’s investigation will be turned over to the Orange County Sheriff’s Office to consider criminal charges ...

A report by outside engineers found sensors on the ride had been adjusted manually to double the size of the opening for restraints on two seats, resulting in the teen not being properly secured.

Tyre’s family is suing the owner, manufacturer and landlord of the ride, claiming negligence and failure to provide a safe amusement ride. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/business...mer-services-ce21e346b74f8e7067c977621552aa4b

Update ... The amusement park operator has been fined $250,000. Multiple lawsuits are apparently still in progress.

FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/business...mer-services-ce21e346b74f8e7067c977621552aa4b
Many things done that shouldn't have been done. First, the weight restriction shouldn't have been ignored; second, the restraints should not have been adjusted manually (for him to fit or was adjustment done earlier? Who knows).

I also wonder what the age of ride operator is. Often I see young people (kids just over 16) operating the rides. Sometimes they are only temporary hires from the area. Wonder what kind of training - safety and otherwise - they get.

When I was a kid in Toronto, playground equipment that we called a 'merry-go-round' (you might know it as a 'roundabout') was very popular. I remember tons of kids running madly to get the thing going, then other kids jumping on (or off) while is whirled crazily. It was just so much fun. What a rush. This is similar to the ones I remember:

Yup. That and seeing if we could get it fast enough to be able to lift our feet up while clinging to the rails.
This dates me: there was a playground ride like a skeletal umbrella. Watching the TV series U.F.O., it became de rigeur to be "Interceptor" pilots - yell out "Interceptors - immediate launch!" and three kids would reach out and swing feet first through into the centre.
:worry: Well, I suppose you "had to be there" to get it. :)

This actually reminds me of a friend of mine when I was a kid. He had a circular above-ground pool. Well, of course we all got it in our heads that it was be awesome to make our very own whirlpool.

Cue 3-4 kids trudging in a circle around the outside edge of the pool. We got some pretty good current going; at one point, we could grab the ladder on the side and our bodies would swing out parallel to the ground. Probably dangerous, but none of us got properly sucked down, so 'twas all in good fun.

When I was a kid in Toronto, playground equipment that we called a 'merry-go-round' (you might know it as a 'roundabout') was very popular. I remember tons of kids running madly to get the thing going, then other kids jumping on (or off) while is whirled crazily. It was just so much fun. What a rush. This is similar to the ones I remember:
Yep we had these. I never went on them cuz they made me feel sick. One of the hazards of this ride was getting your feet caught underneath. Not pretty.

BB0AA006-C05D-4CA3-890F-E9285D8598FA.jpeg

A parent would probably be reported to Social Services for putting their child on one of those roundabout nowadays. I remember falling off those on a regular basis as a child onto concrete or tarmac, no cissy tree bark/rubber coatings in playgrounds then. Skinned knees got met with the response that I should have held on better.

A parent would probably be reported to Social Services for putting their child on one of those roundabout nowadays. I remember falling off those on a regular basis as a child onto concrete or tarmac, no cissy tree bark/rubber coatings in playgrounds then. Skinned knees got met with the response that I should have held on better.
I was too busy falling off my bike and getting skinned knees that way. Then I'd go home and my Mum would get the tweezers to pull the gravel out then cover it all with TCP which stung like buggery.

I was too busy falling off my bike and getting skinned knees that way. Then I'd go home and my Mum would get the tweezers to pull the gravel out then cover it all with TCP which stung like buggery.
Ah yes TCP - it would apparently cure anything. Pretty sure it was invented by parents with an extra stinging effect to teach kids a lesson.

Ah yes TCP - it would apparently cure anything. Pretty sure it was invented by parents with an extra stinging effect to teach kids a lesson.
Can you still buy it?

I had a trampolene as a kid. One blustery day the wind got underneath it and it took off like a hovercraft and landed in next doors garden. The couple next door, incidentally, looked like Biffa Bacon's Mum and Dad from Viz.

When i was a kid in the 70s at Stubb's Park Nuneaton, there was a kid's playground. It had two concrete 'pyramids', one bigger than the other. There was a kind of zip line between them. Kids would hang onto a handle thing and slide from one to another about 30-40 feet up. The line was removed after a kid fell off and broke his arm. The pyramids remained however and they both had slides on them. The smaller one was straight but the bigger one had s curving slide with blind corners. I used to walk through the park on my way to school each day. One morning i noticed that some wag has smeared masses of dog shit round the blind corners. By the look of it some kid had already slid clean through the mounds.

Whatever happened to "adventure playgrounds" *sigh*
I recall there were a plethora during the 70's.

Yeah, horribly scabbed knees, grazed shins, welts and bruises were part of playground fun.

Back