• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dangerous Play (Playgrounds; Carnivals; Amusement Parks; Etc.)

Talking of slides, those huge plastic ones that you paid to go on at the seaside, jeez, the amount of burns i got from those when you fell off of the mat.

Sorry Shady but I have no sympathy there ... they all had obvious grab handles on both sides, like the stoned student who was running the ride at the time told you .. jeez ..;)

I was a kid :eek: It was centuries ago :eek: And i do not remember grab handles being on these mats

I was a kid :eek: It was centuries ago :eek: And i do not remember grab handles being on these mats

I'm not sure what I can do for you on this one .. but Pizza dude forgives you ..

Do kids still make their own water slides by putting large sheets of plastic on a slope with a running hosepipe at the top? .. just wondering is all .. I don't want the police to get worried :rolleyes:

Have you seen the cost of water of late....???????

Early 2015. Nobody had a water meter back in 1976.

*Hovis bread music* To true, me, my Mum and my sister stood at the church tap with buckets in a que ..:) ... incredibly hot summer that was!

I believe you can actually purchase them these days as manufactured items. Doesn't beat a big bit of cardboard going down a dry glass slope though.

In high school, there was a hill between the rest of the school and the football field and people either slid down this hill, were pushed down or had their bags (often open) tossed down the hill. Since this area contained the football field, the basketball courts (two rather sad ones, really) and the "tough" kids, I avoided that area as if my life depended on it (being a nerd, it did).

There was a park just up the road that had a rocket shaped structure made of steel with two levels - each had a slide/slippery dip. The council took it down as it was "too dangerous" - looking back, the higher level slide was about two or three metres off the ground at the top end, perhaps it was too dangerous! It also contained the best bit of graffiti I've ever seen - "If you notice this notice, you will notice this notice is not worth noticing - so don't notice it!". Thirty years on, it still makes me smile when I think of it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, my best friend cracked open his head on a chunk of concrete left underneath the climbing frame (after I'd warned him to be careful). I had to run off and get help. He was very grateful to me afterwards.

Wouldn't be allowed these days.

My Daughters generation had 'death drops' Mytho, they would hang by their knees on the top of the frame, then let go, flicking themselves around while dropping, to land on their feet - no concrete though, just hard packed dirt.

There was a park just up the road that had a rocket shaped structure made of steel with two levels - each had a slide/slippery dip. The council took it down as it was "too dangerous" - looking back, the higher level slide was about two or three metres off the ground at the top end, perhaps it was too dangerous! It also contained the best bit of graffiti I've ever seen - "If you notice this notice, you will notice this notice is not worth noticing - so don't notice it!". Thirty years on, it still makes me smile when I think of it!

I may just steal this!

yes! I did this! and also one leg over a bar balanced at the knee and then spinning around it as fast as possible!

I was too clumsy as a child to do this...

And am too clumsy an adult to even try...

A tennis ball pushed into the botom of the leg of a pair of tights, then stand in front and upto a big wall and hurl it from left to right and lift leg up one at a time and under them, and hope someone doesnt get in the line of fire and get walloped with said ball, as the tight would stretch.

Also, 'elastic' two pieces of white elastic and you had to do a lil dance over it, similar to the double skipping rope routine, and the elastic was higher each time.

'Stretch' usually we used a penknife, throw it in the ground so the next person has to stretch to it, bit like Twister, but with a lethal edge, i used a dart and it ended up in a friends head, she was lucky, i couldnt find the knife that day.

'Stretch' usually we used a penknife, throw it in the ground so the next person has to stretch to it, bit like Twister, but with a lethal edge, i used a dart and it ended up in a friends head, she was lucky, i couldnt find the knife that day.

That was called "Split The Kipper" in my neck o' the woods.

Bloody dangerous!

Just saw this in the news, thought it was sad and strange,

Harlow bouncy castle death: Girl named as Summer Grant
A seven-year-old girl who died after a bouncy castle she was playing in was blown away in Harlow has been named by police as Summer Grant, from Norwich.
A woman, 24, and a man, 27, have been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter by gross negligence, and bailed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-...s_source=facebook&ns_linkname=english_regions

Tragic Bouncy Castle Death

Seven-year-old Summer Grant had been enjoying a family day out at Harlow Town Park in Essex when the inflatable was blown away, Chelmsford crown court was told.

“While Summer was in the bouncy castle, it blew away from its moorings, bounced 300 metres down a hill; having hit a tree, it came to rest.”

Witnesses described seeing the bouncy castle “cartwheeling in the air, cartwheeling down a hill and only stopping when it hit a fence”.

What happened NF - can you give us a fuller account? Good on you for wading in..

Not a lot to add.

Fairly sure the guy was psychotic. I offered to stay on the train until help arrived the train guards declined that. The guy had spent the last 10 minutes giggling to himself. He'd stopped communicating with the rest of us and was in his own world. The next stop wasn't far off and assistance I was told was waiting there. So I got off at my stop.

The carriage was practically empty by this point. The women he'd grabbed got off at an earlier stop so I don't know if she was going to press charges, she was pretty freaked out.

You basically have to go with what the guards say. It's their gig, they have their protocols and I did offer. My gut feeling was that he didn't present any immediate further danger to others between then and the next stop.

Last edited:
At least no limbs were lost this time.

Visitors to Alton Towers were left hanging 100ft in the air when a rollercoaster stopped mid-way round the track.

Eyewitnesses said the Smiler ride stopped shortly after 17:30 BST on Tuesday, leaving people suspended for about 20 minutes. Alton Towers apologised and offered compensation to those affected. The Staffordshire theme park tweeted later on Tuesday evening to say the ride was up and running again.

Two teenagers had legs amputated after a crash between two carriages on the rollercoaster in 2015.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-49095935

I remember doing stuff that seemed completely normal as a 7-8-9-10 year old etc that would terrify me these days - even the thought of it boggles my mind. Me and my friends would play in prefabs that had been condemned but were still in one piece (yes, complete with white dog shit too – sic!). They were just such fantastic playgrounds for any form of chase or forty-forty. We also played on the building site of the Bath flood prevention scheme – running in and out of the huge concrete pipes that hadn't been laid yet. Just the sort of thing that the Public Information Films harked on about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember doing stuff that seemed completely normal as a 7-8-9-10 year old etc that would terrify me these days - even the thought of it boggles my mind.
Goodness sakes...

You are so spot on with this.

Brought to mind, how often we used to climb onto the roof of a nearby factory.

The attraction was said roof being completely flat and covered with sheets of corrugated plastic.

When you ran along it, you could make an echo sound, because of the drop beneath.

Pretty certain there was a contemporary news report, of someone falling to their death, when a similar roof covering couldn't take their weight.

The other thing I have strong memories of, was climbing up a drainpipe to reach an elevated space where we could play.

Although terrified - it must have been around 30 feet upwards - you simply had to comply or face ridicule.

Used to also be the best at jumping between roofs of aligned 'bin sheds'.

Would have been a fair distance to cover and necessitated a, 'runny jump'.

Right enough, when you think back on the mental risks taken for granted... :oops:

As a young child I lived next to the railway and that's where we kids played. The biggest danger was arriving home stinking of diesel from playing in the engine inspection pit because our mother would know where we'd been and beat the living daylights out of us.

(A memory just popped up, of a story where a boy played on the railway and was soundly spanked by his father; there's a line saying something like 'the tattoo Fathers's slipper played on Sonny's bottom seemed to say DON'T YOU EVER PLAY ON THE RAILWAY AGAIN!'
Enid Blyton comes to mind.)

One of my earliest memories is of stepping off the tracks as a train went past. This MUST be from a book or summat and not a thing that really happened!

Goodness sakes...

You are so spot on with this.

Brought to mind, how often we used to climb onto the roof of a nearby factory.

The attraction was said roof being completely flat and covered with sheets of corrugated plastic.

When you ran along it, you could make an echo sound, because of the drop beneath.

Pretty certain there was a contemporary news report, of someone falling to their death, when a similar roof covering couldn't take their weight.

The other thing I have strong memories of, was climbing up a drainpipe to reach an elevated space where we could play.

Although terrified - it must have been around 30 feet upwards - you simply had to comply or face ridicule.

Used to also be the best at jumping between roofs of aligned 'bin sheds'.

Would have been a fair distance to cover and necessitated a, 'runny jump'.

Right enough, when you think back on the mental risks taken for granted... :oops:
As kids me and my friends made a 'den' out of hundreds of used car tyres at the back of a disused tyre fitters place, we stacked tons of tyres up over the course of one summer only for it to collapse trapping a friend and breaking his arm, we ran and got an adult who called the fire brigade and they dug him out then gave us a good talking to, told our parents which resulted in a sound thrashing from my father.

As kids me and my friends made a 'den' out of hundreds of used car tyres at the back of a disused tyre fitters place, we stacked tons of tyres up over the course of one summer only for it to collapse trapping a friend and breaking his arm, we ran and got an adult who called the fire brigade and they dug him out then gave us a good talking to, told our parents which resulted in a sound thrashing from my father.

A change from the caves dug into the sides of sand dunes that collapse on people and kill them.

Back