• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

David Blaine: How Does He Do That?

Perhaps he's got a freind who syphons out most of the water, leaving him at the bottom, then wipes down the sides of the bowl then re-fills it.

Someone should lob in a fake ruined castle and maybe some pondweed to keep him happy.

Apparently now doctors are fearing for his health, saying his skin is peeling badly. Silly man.

gncxx said:
Apparently now doctors are fearing for his health, saying his skin is peeling badly. Silly man.
Any links to that?

(As my earlier post said, the Devon man's skin looked pretty repulsive afterwards!)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4979700.stm

Illusionist David Blaine, who is spending seven-days submerged in a water-filled sphere, is to receive medical treatment.
Blaine's spokesman Pat Smith said the 33-year-old's peeling skin and overall condition was worrying doctors.

But he added Blaine was "determined" to complete the "human aquarium" stunt at Lincoln Center in New York.

A mask and an air line are keeping Blaine alive, and he is also getting liquid nutrition fed via a tube.

More at the link...

Are these the same doctors being concerned who put in an appearance every time he does a stunt?

You would think doctors had better things to be concerned about e.g. people dying in the third world.

I had some peeling skin once but I don't remember it being in the paper.

David Blaine......how does he get so much publicity?

Stormkhan said:
Perhaps he's got a freind who syphons out most of the water, leaving him at the bottom, then wipes down the sides of the bowl then re-fills it.

Someone should lob in a fake ruined castle and maybe some pondweed to keep him happy.

I'd give a gold coloured suit with fins to go with it. :yeay:

Blaine looks like he works out a bit inbetween these stunts. You'd probably have to a little to put up with doing these stunts.

How would skin peel in water though? Would it be because the skin is absorbing too much water into the body like when your fingers shrivel up on the finger tips in a bath?

Was the point of fasting in that box for 44 days though in London? :?

:shock: Wonder how wet the hands are after absorbing so much water!

Cursed~ said:
I came across this via another board I frequent. Not to be read if you wish to continue to believe Mr Blaine is assisted by magical goblins or somesuch.

The truth is here?

Surely someone would spot one foot on it's front heel from certain angles though?

MaxMolyneux said:
Cursed~ said:
I came across this via another board I frequent. Not to be read if you wish to continue to believe Mr Blaine is assisted by magical goblins or somesuch.

The truth is here?

Surely someone would spot one foot on it's front heel from certain angles though?

Exactly - watch his street magic carefully. He makes sure the observers all stand together at a specific angle from him (you can even see him checking the angle when he is setting up the trick - talking to the people over his shoulder).

When I saw this on Secrets of Street Magic I was sceptical but my brother and his girlfriend were watching it with me and so we gave it a go and if you have reasonable balance the effect is pretty impressive. Its well worth trying if there are a handful of you to try it out.

My balance sucks when trying that so I'd be found out too quickly. :lol:

Yeah. I can't tell you how disappointed I was with the levitation trick. But I agree with emps...it does work from certain angles.

Yeah I suppose my disappointment wasn't in the trick per se it was in the fact that he was using camera tricks and fancy editting to get achieve a lot of his tricks.

There's a lot of chatter but no reports that I can find *yet* that Blaine's skin is sloughing off his hands at the moment.
No real shock there though. Anyone been able to find a link or something?

Isn't today is when he tries to break that guys record for holding his breath underwater?

Ahh now this is slightly more first hand with regard to the hands...

source

Freedive Manhattan!

Now for everybody, not just a media icon in a crystalline sphere. I rode the subway train to Lincoln Center today, and must have set some kind of world record myself. Serial static apnea, or maybe surreal static apnea – what one does when the train car is packed with sweating humanity and stinks, stinks, stinks.

David Is Experiencing Extreme Fatigue was the tag line for a full-throttle press conference this afternoon. Dr. Gunel and Kirk Krack faced the braying legion of reporters and delivered this news in several variations until, finally, all of them more or less got it. "It feels like I’m giving the State of the Union address", Kirk told me later. "It’s like a wall of cameras, ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, FNC, BBC…." Yessir, if it pushes images and has a ‘C’ in the corporate acronym, it’s there.

Krack and Gunel left the microphones, but the media stayed on. The faces change – well, not much, really – but the cameras stay the same. I huddled with Kirk and Martin, trying in vain to swindle them into disclosing the pulse oximeter reading they’d done on David, when a grip shouted down from the ramp. “ Yo, Kirk. Hands.” Kirk and Martin scrambled.

Grips swung the rather sinister iron ladder into place, centering the platform above the hatch, which a grip popped open. Kirk and Martin were already halfway up the ladder when the word came down: David wants Vivianna ! A startled young woman sprang up from her folding chair in the crew pen and uncertainly made her way toward the sphere.

David Blaine’s hands are the first visible casualty of this enterprise. He’s having his gloves swapped and his hands moisturized and massaged at intervals of several hours now. This time he wanted his personal assistant, Vivianna Karamanis, on the platform and tending to his ravaged mitts.

Kirk, atop the platform and hovering over the crouching Vivianna, signaled to me. I climbed the ladder and peered over Vivianna’s crouching form, down into the sphere. David Blaine does not take his head out of the water during these maintenance sessions. His forearms leave the water, and Vivianna rubbed them gingerly.

Hands of a Corpse

These hands looked very much like those of a corpse I’d once seen pickled in a tub, awaiting transport to a proper morgue. It looked as though the flesh would simply fall off in chunks if Vivianna rubbed too hard.

And David Blaine is only 48 hours into the week-long stunt.

I must have been staring, slack-jawed, when Kirk snapped me out of it. "You’re the only media that’s been allowed up here", he whispered. "Go on, get your pictures."

The hatch stayed open, and David Blaine’s hands stayed in the air for about twenty minutes before Martin Stepanek re-gloved him and he sank back down. Blaine was back on the job instantly, pressing palms through the glass with the awe-struck spectators as they filed by. A toddler held up a crayoned sign: “ David We Believe In You”. Martin lowered a plastic sack of red Gatorade into the sphere, and Blaine took a few sips through a tube.

Keeping it clean

The water in the sphere is held at 96 degrees Fahrenheit, circulated and heated by a massive pumping system in a nearby geodesic dome.

David Blaine is spending calories to maintain his core temperature against that mild but non-zero thermal gradient. Extreme fatigue, they said. After losing fifty pounds in four months, fasting for a week before entering the sphere and now subsisting on an enhanced Gatorade regimen, one supposes that extreme fatigue is a somewhat understated description of the physiological carpet bombing David Blaine’s body is undergoing. Martin thought Dr. Ginel planned to draw blood later in the day. I can’t imagine the numbers will be comforting.

An electric guitarist is tuning up, playing licks. A vocalist chimes in, running up and down some blues scales. There’s entertainment every day at 4PM and 6 PM. The singer is a former street musician who’s now signed with a major label, a graduate, like Blaine, of the street school of the performing arts.

The crowd seems to hold at a fairly constant 100-150 outside the barriers, and files up the ramp to touch the sphere and interact with David Blaine. Some are somber, others giggly, others mildly curious. Most take photos or video.

Earlier, as I approached Lincoln Center walking along West 63rd Street, I fell in behind a trio of Israeli tourists. Fashion mavens, dressed to the nines, chatting excitedly in Hebrew about boutiqueing, already overburdened with accessories. One caught a glimpse of the sphere as we approached Columbus Avenue. “ Oh! It’s the guy in the aquarium. Let’s go look!" she chirped. "Really, whatever for ?" sneered another. "These Americans ! They have nothing to do so they invent these things." Back to the serious business of trawling for prêt-à-porter. But they all looked anyway as they passed by.

The living dead

I asked Martin whether Michael Jackson had appeared, as had been rumored. No. There had, however, been two appearances by a sister of Usama Bin Laden, a friend, it seems, of David Blaine. Later I considered the possibility that David Blaine is, in fact, Usama Bin Laden: what better place to hide out than in a glass sphere on the plaza at Lincoln Center? Eh ? Who’d think to look for him there ?

But that’s silly, the product of a drowsy and overstimulated brain. Mine’s in that condition, to be sure. The Performance Freediving team members are several weeks farther down that path than I am, and David Blaine is on some other level entirely. I’m wondering how I’m going to last until the Monday, May 8 finale – and I’m sleeping in a proper bed.

The Performance Freediving team is at the sphere 24/7. Kirk covers the 3PM -11PM shift, relieved by Mandy for the graveyard shift 11PM -7AM, and then Martin takes over from 7AM – 3PM. When one’s shift is over, he is designated the backup and can go no farther than the crew trailer a short distance away, on call for another 8-hour shift. That leaves only 8 hours out of each 24 for a retreat to the team hotel.

It’s no wonder Vivianna Karamanis was summoned up the ladder to minister to David Blaine’s hands. She’s been Blaine’s PA for only three months, but is totally dedicated to the man and the project. “I started to cry when he climbed into the sphere”, she admitted. “I was terribly worried for him”. Not any more, she said. Now she feels secure. He’s got great support from the Performance Freediving team, and she knows he’ll be okay. He seems happy and upbeat to her. Still, Vivianna is on site 24/7 for the entire week, catnapping in the trailer. All of Blaine's people are like this:true believers.

A burly, business-suited security guard challenged me. Do I have an ID bracelet? I do not. I’m with the divers, I said, pointing out the Deeper Blue logo on my hooded sweatshirt. No problem, he grinned. Like everyone I encountered at the venue he had a long list of questions about apnea, freediving and physiology. Any doubts I may have had about the positive yield of this event for freediving are rapidly being dispelled.

The mix of spectators varies with the time of day. Martin, oceanman that he is, quickly doped out the rhythm of the human tides. The suits come in the morning, on their way to work. Then the school kids, with their backpacks. The nurses come when the shift changes at a nearby hospital. College students after that. Then more school kids, and another wave of suits. And at night ? Martin grinned. "That’s when it gets interesting. The drunks, all kinds of strange New York wildlife."

The buzz is definitely spreading around. The first day had competition from the nationwide immigrant protests, followed by two days of Israeli holidays in the most Jewish of American cities. But the word is out. As I journeyed from an outlying quarter into Manhattan, ambled about the city center, and then trained and bussed out to Queens, there was never a time when I was out of sight of a newspaper with the Blaine event prominently on display, or out of earshot from a conversation about the event. When I left Lincoln Center I cut through Central Park to soothe my country boy’s nerves – to no avail, as the strollers' mobile phones were running at capacity and the talk all seemed to be about the man in the glass ball of water.

---------

More recent pics of those very dead looking hands on the same site here.

What I want to know is why does every stunt involve him having his top off?

And why when he emerges after however many days does he have plently of stubble etc but all the body hair that he must surely have waxed off hasn't regrown? (I know everyone else was just wondering how he did the illusion)

Well....if we believe the waxing ads on tv, then he should be stubble free (body)for 6 weeks :lol:

when doing his 'endurance stunts', he starts to starve and hair growth is initially diminished. After prolonged starvation, hair growth accellerates,possibly due to the body trying to stop heat loss?

Who is the guy who broke the record for holding his breath under water?

Apparently Blaine failed only getting to 7 minutes and 8 seconds while the record holder did it for 8 minutes and 58 seconds.

Last Updated: Tuesday, 9 May 2006, 16:51 GMT 17:51 UK
E-mail this to a friend Printable version
Breathless Blaine out of hospital

David Blaine after his record-breaking attempt
David Blaine was pulled from the sphere after seven days

Blaine emerges
Showman David Blaine has left hospital after spending seven days under water.

The week-long stunt caused liver damage, pins and needles in his feet and hands, some loss of sensation and rashes, Blaine's doctor said.

Dr Murat Gunel said there was evidence of liver failure on the second day. "I told him he needed to get out of the water, and he refused me," he said.

"He said he did not want to let the people down." Blaine failed to break the world record for holding breath.

The illusionist received food and air through tubes during the seven days he spent in a water-filled sphere in New York.

David Blaine's record-breaking attempt
Blaine managed to hold his breath underwater for seven minutes
At the end of the ordeal, he tried to break the nine-minute record for holding breath but divers pulled him out after seven minutes when he began struggling.

Crowds of spectators and millions of TV viewers saw him rescued.

Appearing shaken and weak, he thanked his supporters and left for hospital.

"This was a very difficult week but you all made it fly by with your strong spirit, your energy. Thank you so much everybody," Blaine told a cheering crowd in Lincoln Square.

He appeared to have freed himself from chains attached to his hands but was struggling to free his feet when the divers entered the tank and pulled him out.

Blaine received medical treatment over the weekend while in the tank because his peeling skin and overall condition were worrying doctors.

'Considerable concern'

"They're worried about loss of dexterity," his spokesman Pat Smith said. "There is considerable concern about both his hands and his muscle tone."

In order to receive medical attention, Blaine stuck his hand out of a hole at the top of a tank, allowing doctors to remove specially created gloves, apply lotion and put on new gloves.

David Blaine after his record-breaking attempt
Blaine's peeling skin and overall condition were worrying doctors
Before embarking on the stunt, the 33-year-old US showman shed 50lbs (23kg) in body weight to improve the efficiency of the way his body uses oxygen.

Prolonged submersion in water poses a number of hazards, including nerve damage, blackouts, sleep deprivation and skin problems.

Blaine had said his skin was causing him pain "like constant pins and needles" after five days in the acrylic sphere.

A lack of adequate oxygen, especially after seven days underwater, also carries a risk of irreversible brain injury, according to medical experts.

Blaine's previous stunts have included spending 61 hours inside a block of ice and fasting for 44 days in a Perspex box over London's River Thames.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4755775.stm

Was funny when he did that London stunt and reading about all the people mooning him and even some woman streaking calling him hip hop hoodini. :lol:

The one I heard about the guy using a remote control helicopter with a burger attached to it was the funniest. :lol:

The guy who currently holds the world record is called Tom Sietas. He used to be training buddy of my ex-fiance. I don't like him much. But I've seen him doing 9min30 under bad conditions. He's very good at it. And I'm sure he isn't very happy about Blaine's antics. It's bad for the image of freediving.

Has he stayed under water for ages like this guy?

BLAINE CAN'T BEAT MY UNDERWATER RECORD
Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list

11:00 - 05 May 2006
American showman David Blaine's much-hyped week in a "human aquarium" is being watched with interest by a Devon ferryman who holds the world record for the longest period spent underwater without a submarine. Topsham ferryman Mike Stevens points out that the American illusionist is not even attempting to break his own nine-day record underwater, set in 1986 at the Boat Show at Birmingham's National Exhibition Centre.

He said that 33-year-old Mr Blaine would be having it easy in his 8ft fish bowl in New York's Lincoln Center, televised worldwide, because he has a wetsuit to put on if need be, whereas Mr Stevens wore just a T-shirt and trunks to set his record.

Submerged in a naval diving tank at the NEC, Mr Stevens stayed underwater for 212 hours and 30 minutes, being supplied with oxygen through a cylinder, in a stunt to raise money for the Birmingham Children's Hospital.

Mr Blaine will be using tubes to give him oxygen and liquid nutrition during his seven-day ordeal. He entered the tank in New York on Monday wearing only trousers, gloves, rubber shoes and a special diving mask, but does have a specially designed wetsuit he can put on if necessary.

Mr Stevens, 58, said he feared that Mr Blaine had not researched just how much endurance is involved in staying underwater. He said: "I don't really know if he has gone into it properly. You are not supposed to live underwater and as soon as you try your mind starts kicking in.

"Your body takes in a lot of water, especially the feet and hands, they swell considerably and do become extremely painful. During the first 50 hours you are in extreme pain. The second problem is psychological pain. You can't sleep and you get hallucinations. I'm not sure how he will cope with that.

"I do worry about whether he has gone into it to be honest, because we had many, many years of endurance diving and I know the pitfalls.

"I believe the man to be committed to what he is doing and he will need to be because of the hallucinations."

Mr Stevens said he had seen people suffering from long-term psychological damage by trying to stay underwater. He had avoided this because he found it possible to sleep while submerged. As he slept, his back-up team of divers would ensure that his oxygen supply was feeding through to him correctly.

"I think that is what makes me better than anyone else, because I can sleep anywhere, I can sleep underwater," he said.

"I've spent nine days underwater and David Blaine seems to think it is really quite easy to stay underwater for seven days. But it is actually very difficult."

http://tinyurl.com/h5dep

This guy thinks Blaine had it easyand seemed to think Blaine didn't really know what he was doing.

Anybody think that his failure may have been preplanned? Great bit of PR...ooo...danger, shock, what will he do next...etc

No, I just think he got in over his head. Heh.

He didn't look at all well when they pulled him out on the footage I saw.

But still well enough to mug for the cameras as they cart him away...hmmm....probably inspire him for bubble 2 or something....old cynic that I am...

I suppose you could fake choking underwater, but it wouldn't be recommended after spending seven minutes holding your breath. Easier to believe he messed up.

Apart from his own, these "doctors" who are so concerned about his health during these stunts are usually not surprisingly un-named. Noticed, as mentioned he didn't have the Official authorites to verify any record -
Aside from his bored/boring Zombie persona , so many of his stunts are just so joyless - for want of a better word - there'e little sense to me that they affirm anything in the human spririt - they don't seem to really capture or reflect any cause or zeitgeist - they just seem to happen - often in a lkind of sordid spectacle.

Agree. The soulless nature of his stunts (and personality) remind me of anything designed by a government committee, or any group that tries to do stuff 'for the kids'. I'm reminded of white elephants like the
Dome, and pointless people like health and safety inspectors.

Oh yay...another Blaine stunt. Oooh. I think all these stunts do is reify his own sense of dullness. He clearly can't relate to people in any meaningful way, just by being observed. Yawn. Oh, and his tricks are pretty lame.

Tragically it seems as though he's going to be okay.

(Well... I'm using the word 'okay' but obviously he's still David Blaine)

It's okay; he could be pronounced brain dead and no one could tell. Might be an improvment - I mean, it can't be any worse?

Back