• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

David Blaine: How Does He Do That?

Stormkhan said:
How does he do it?

Sucks in pure oxygen and moves as little as possible. No magical trick. While I agree that according to the "rules", there is nothing unacceptable for this over-oxygenating to be used to extend breath-holding. But his stunt would be less impressive if he hadn't done it.

Oh, and how does he make his money? Syndication rights. I only saw a clip of this latest waste-of-time on this mornings BBC tv news and the over-reacting, maniacally-laughing audience showed some support.

He was taking some risk though. This is what HOWSTUFFWORKS says are the effects on the body of breathing 100% Oxygen :

Fluid accumulates in the lungs.
Gas flow across the alveoli slows down, meaning that the person has to breathe more to get enough oxygen.
Chest pains occur during deep breathing.
The total volume of exchangeable air in the lung decreases by 17 percent.
Mucus plugs local areas of collapsed alveoli -- a condition called atelectasis. The oxygen trapped in the plugged alveoli gets absorbed into the blood, no gas is left to keep the plugged alveoli inflated, and they collapse. Mucus plugs are normal, but they are cleared by coughing. If alveoli become plugged while breathing air, the nitrogen trapped in the alveoli keeps them inflated.

So there was a risk involved in a short-term usage of oxygen. He wanted to break a record at the risk of his own physical health; so what? He wanted a physical challenge giving himself an advantage over others.

Impressed I'm not. Before anyone says "but you'd not do the same" you're right. I'm not paid to, I'm not trained to and I couldn't. Is this meant to make me admire him? I'm sorry but I don't wet myself in admiration of David Blaine's over-exposed, over-hyped stunts.

The fact that he always seems - to me - to be more impressed by his own stunts than anyone else shows that he does perform and he's good at showmanship.

Stormkhan said:
So there was a risk involved in a short-term usage of oxygen. He wanted to break a record at the risk of his own physical health; so what? He wanted a physical challenge giving himself an advantage over others.

Impressed I'm not. Before anyone says "but you'd not do the same" you're right. I'm not paid to, I'm not trained to and I couldn't. Is this meant to make me admire him? I'm sorry but I don't wet myself in admiration of David Blaine's over-exposed, over-hyped stunts.

The fact that he always seems - to me - to be more impressed by his own stunts than anyone else shows that he does perform and he's good at showmanship.

I don't particularly like him and was only telling you what the risks were so get off your soap box for a minute eh? LOL

Oh, I was nowhere near my soapbox, honest! ;) I understand the risks he took by indulging in excessive use of oxygen. In his stunts, he takes many risks ... I just don't find it entertaining, myself.

Now, Houdini ... there was an entertaining, baffling showman! Pity I was born too late to see one of his gigs!

Stormkhan said:
Oh, I was nowhere near my soapbox, honest! ;) I understand the risks he took by indulging in excessive use of oxygen. In his stunts, he takes many risks ... I just don't find it entertaining, myself.

Now, Houdini ... there was an entertaining, baffling showman! Pity I was born too late to see one of his gigs!

I watched quite an entertaining film recently about two magicians having a life-long squabble - can't remember the name now. It revolved around a trick where the magician would appear to be transported across the stage instantaneously - I won't spoil it for you if you haven't seen it.

millomite said:
Stormkhan said:

I watched quite an entertaining film recently about two magicians having a life-long squabble - can't remember the name now. It revolved around a trick where the magician would appear to be transported across the stage instantaneously - I won't spoil it for you if you haven't seen it.

The Prestige - based on a novel by Christopher Priest that is even more complicated, good film though, highly Fortean.

Timble2 said:
millomite said:
Stormkhan said:

The Prestige - based on a novel by Christopher Priest that is even more complicated, good film though, highly Fortean.

Thank you yes it was a bit Fortean as I now remember. Didn't know it was book based !

The Prestige - I found it highly entertaining. Even David Bowie's portrayal of the genius Tesla.

Stormkhan said:
The Prestige - I found it highly entertaining. Even David Bowie's portrayal of the genius Tesla.

Well spotted Stormkhan!! I had to check the credits to see if it was really him.

Page 1 of 3...

David Blaine: death-dealer
Last Updated: 12:01am BST 14/09/2008

He has already spent a week in a glass coffin, 64 hours in a block of ice and fasted for 44 days in a box in London. For his next trick, he'll live on two burning high wires in Central Park for three days, followed by a mysterious 'Dive of Death'. Is there anything this seemingly fearless magician is afraid of? Yes, actually... By Michael Joseph Gross

The magician's face is fat with blood. So much so, that the little scar between his eyes, from a failed attempt to do a flip from a park bench at age five, is momentarily invisible. His eyes are bulging. The whites are pink. 'Are blood vessels popping?' he asks. Four of his friends (one of whom is operating a video camera) bend down to check. No popping. Sweat soaks through his T-shirt and drips onto his chin. He says he cannot feel his feet.

'I'm going to hang here until I black out,' David Blaine declares. He is hanging upside down in a pair of boots attached to the top of a weightlifting cage in a little cave-like, brick-lined room in the back of the cellar of his New York office, at 8pm on a Friday in August.

The magician, whose idea of magic encompasses natural feats of endurance less redolent of Las Vegas than of Lives of the Saints, is risking glaucoma and circulatory failure in order to prepare for his next trick.

He will spend three days and three nights (22, 23 and 24 September) living at the intersection of two tightwires, stretched between four pillars, 50ft high, in Central Park. When he sleeps, he will sleep hanging upside down - 'like a bat,' he says - at the convergence of those wires, which will be on fire, and there will also be a fire pit on the ground beneath him. :shock:

At the end of three days and nights of this, he will do... well, something, which he is keeping secret for now, called 'Dive of Death'. He took the title from a vintage daredevil poster given to him by a fan in 2003, when Blaine was fasting for 44 days, suspended in a Plexiglass box beside Tower Bridge.

Now, just over nine minutes into his maiden experiment with hanging upside down, he pushes a couple of fingers at his gut, grimacing. One of his friends says, 'All your stuff is hanging on your lungs.' Ten minutes, and Blaine groans: 'This is hard core.' Nineteen minutes, and he asks, 'Do you think my organs are repositioning themselves?' He and his friends pass time talking about tricks: peeling the lifeline off his hand, mixing up salt crystals and pepper flakes and separating them.

Then the magician changes his mind. He doesn't want to black out this first time. He wants to stop at 23 minutes and 23 seconds: exactly 23 minutes and 23 seconds. 'It's lucky. It's a good number,' he says.

The guy with the stopwatch calls time and Blaine's friends winch him down. Blaine shakes his feet and shuffles into his office, where his latest world-record certificate (from Guinness, for holding his breath - 17 minutes, 4.4 seconds, on The Oprah Winfrey Show, earlier this year) hangs behind his desk. Nearby sits a picture of Blaine's mother, Patrice White, who died in 1994 after enduring painful ovarian cancer, a struggle that remains the example and touchstone for his own acts of self-mortification. Later, he says that Patrice 'was born on the 23rd, and died on the 23rd', hence 23 minutes and 23 seconds.

But why?

'It's a good number,' he says, again.

Why does that matter? Just for luck? Does he believe the number provides a mystical connection with his mother? He chuckles, Beavis-like: 'Heh-heh.'

Warming to the topic of his own mystery, Blaine says that the titles of all his shows are anagrams; and the dates, durations and physical dimensions of his stunts are laced with hidden meanings. This is true, he points out, of 'Buried Alive' (in 1999, a week in a glass coffin underground); 'Frozen in Time' (2000, almost 64 hours encased in a block of ice in Times Square); 'Vertigo' (2002, 35 hours standing on top of a 90ft pillar); 'Above the Below' (2003, the 44-day fast); 'Drowned Alive' (2006, a week submerged in a giant sphere filled with water); and 'Revolution' (2006, two days shackled in a spinning gyroscope, ending with an escape).

I ask him to spell out one of the anagrams, and he says, 'You'll have to look for it.' His declaration was intended to establish a principle: in Blaine's world, everything is a code, everything a clue - to a mystery that can be solved.

This, of course, may well be hokum. But after spending more time with Blaine, I begin to realise that, even if it is hokum, he proclaims it in earnest, for what seems a simple reason: if you believe it, then maybe he can, too.

The next week, Blaine urgently tells me, 'You should make the article negative. You should say, 'David's life is chaos and I think he wants to die.' Blaine, who has a tattoo of Machiavelli on his lower abdomen (and Jesus on his back, Primo Levi's prisoner number from Auschwitz on one arm, and 10 more images and phrases scattered across his 6ft 1in, 13st 6lb frame), gives me this advice one morning while he's jogging on a treadmill in a posh, private gym in New York. (His personal trainer also counts Miramax chief Harvey Weinstein among his clients.)

etc...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jh ... blaine.xml

Blaine begins upside down stunt

US illusionist David Blaine has begun another endurance challenge - hanging upside down for almost three days.

The 35-year-old magician was hoisted by his heels over the Wollmann ice rink in New York on Monday.

He intends to remain there until late Wednesday, despite doctors' concern about the effect of the stress on his internal organs and blood circulation.

Blaine said he was "doing all right" on Monday, though he did admit his head felt like it was "about to explode".

His previous stunts include spending 72 hours encased in ice, seven days underwater and 44 days without food in a glass box.

Blaine is suspended from a four-storey high metal frame, though he can be lowered to speak to fans face to face.

Catheter

He is also able to free one leg, using its weight to raise his head to a horizontal position.

For two nights and three days he will neither eat or sleep, taking liquid through a straw and passing water through a catheter.

Asked to compare this current spectacle with his earlier endeavours, the Brooklyn-born performer said this was "the most difficult for sure".

"The others you could get into them soon after the start," he told an interviewer. "But this one is tough from the get-go."

Blaine said he would use "sheer willpower" to complete the challenge - inspired in part by his hero, the legendary escapologist Harry Houdini.

He has said he likes to test his endurance "because it gives me a different perspective, for a short duration."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7630992.stm

I heard Blaine on the radio today and he sounded drunk. I couldn't work out if he was being interviewed upside down or not, you know what he's usually like.

I was hoping that someone would 'accidentally' release the wires on which Blane was suspended sending the irritating tosser crashing to the ground. Now that I would watch :lol:

This thread's been quiet for a while!

David Blaine unveils shocking feat of endurance

US performance artist David Blaine is to spend three days and three nights amid an artificial lightning storm as part of his latest feat of endurance.
Beginning on Friday, he will stand surrounded by seven Tesla coils - electrical columns that shoot out small bolts of lightning - for 72 hours.

"I had wanted to do this for years," the 39-year-old said at a launch event on Tuesday at New York's Pier 54.
Blaine will wear a chain-mail suit, helmet and headphones throughout.
He will suck water through a tube, urinate through a catheter and will be fasting.

Blaine demonstrated to reporters how the stunt - called Electrified: One Million Volts Always On - will work on Tuesday by shooting arcs of lightning out of his hands. 8)

The body suit - a so-called Faraday suit, named after the English scientist Michael Faraday - and helmet will serve as a barrier between himself and the electric currents.

Stuart Weiss, Blaine's doctor, said one of the stunt's main risks was exposure to the ozone and nitrous oxides that are a by-product of ionised air.
Ionised air, or plasma, is created when air is separated into positive ions and electrons, making it much more conductive.
A ventilation system will ensure the magician has breathable air, while a visor in his helmet will protect his eyes from ultraviolet radiation.

The magician's past endurance stunts include sitting in a Perspex box in London for 44 days and standing on a pillar in New York for 35 hours.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19812217

rynner2 said:
This thread's been quiet for a while!
In fact, I just got an email notif about it, as I last posted here as plain rynner!

At least it sounds a bit more interesting to look at. He should really wait till Christmas so he could sit on top of a fir tree.

"We could not have anticipated this" says Dave. Well seen he's not a clairvoyant.
"We could not have anticipated this" says David. Indeed, I do agree, Mr Blaine.

As a self-confessed Stage Illusionist (in the eyes of the IRS, and, in reality, not a real Magician) you didn't need to 'anticipate' it. You planned it, as part of the act.

People, people <sighs>

Hands-up who's seen Penn & Teller's detailed dissection and debunk of how the main utterly-false, totally-convincing mouth-shot trick is done. Exactly, almost everyone in the entire world.

Audiences are a lot more sophisticated nowadays, but even back in the day, Houdini and other stage illusionists would 'up the stakes', with an "oh my God, the trick's gone wrong" layered trick.

To accept that the trick went wrong presumes/accepts that the basic trick was a physical reality. David Blaine did that whole outsider-inside thing, where he'd doing a Director's cut narration, such that you and I are totally inside his fourth wall. We're made part of the production team, because we're 21st Century adult sophisticates, not 19th Century peasants (unfortunately).

Derren Brown, Copperfield, Dynamo, many others, they've all done this for years. Faked the facilitative fail. Piled-on the cognative dissonance. Because they know we think we know how it's done. So when the lady is sawn in half, it has to go 'wrong' for at least some percentage of the time, in order to re-assert the entertainment dominance of the artiste.

When the cup-shot trick goes 'wrong' (ie when it goes into the metaphase), note that for a 'live' event, there is a 2nd/3rd camera team for cross-pan reaction footage. The audience (unseen, only heard) add to the local witnessed reality. Key production narratives indicate that this was not a post-production adaptation of a straight trick that went (reality) wrong...this was a multi-angle pseudo-live production that went (stagedly, for the camera) 'wrong'.

In fact (please be seated when I say this, dear reader)....this is the very nature of videoed/filmed illusion & magic. The stakes are 'raised', to make it real-er.

But Blaine definitely did walk across the Thames. Obviously, look how many witnesses saw him.:evil: As did Dynamo (who was pulled by the River Cops for jaywalking on water). Which makes it undeniably-real.

I've some magic beans. Does anyone want to buy them?

"We could not have anticipated this" says David. Indeed, I do agree, Mr Blaine.

As a self-confessed Stage Illusionist (in the eyes of the IRS, and, in reality, not a real Magician) you didn't need to 'anticipate' it. You planned it, as part of the act.

People, people <sighs>

Hands-up who's seen Penn & Teller's detailed dissection and debunk of how the main utterly-false, totally-convincing mouth-shot trick is done. Exactly, almost everyone in the entire world.

Audiences are a lot more sophisticated nowadays, but even back in the day, Houdini and other stage illusionists would 'up the stakes', with an "oh my God, the trick's gone wrong" layered trick.

To accept that the trick went wrong presumes/accepts that the basic trick was a physical reality. David Blaine did that whole outsider-inside thing, where he'd doing a Director's cut narration, such that you and I are totally inside his fourth wall. We're made part of the production team, because we're 21st Century adult sophisticates, not 19th Century peasants (unfortunately).

Derren Brown, Copperfield, Dynamo, many others, they've all done this for years. Faked the facilitative fail. Piled-on the cognative dissonance. Because they know we think we know how it's done. So when the lady is sawn in half, it has to go 'wrong' for at least some percentage of the time, in order to re-assert the entertainment dominance of the artiste.

When the cup-shot trick goes 'wrong' (ie when it goes into the metaphase), note that for a 'live' event, there is a 2nd/3rd camera team for cross-pan reaction footage. The audience (unseen, only heard) add to the local witnessed reality. Key production narratives indicate that this was not a post-production adaptation of a straight trick that went (reality) wrong...this was a multi-angle pseudo-live production that went (stagedly, for the camera) 'wrong'.

In fact (please be seated when I say this, dear reader)....this is the very nature of videoed/filmed illusion & magic. The stakes are 'raised', to make it real-er.

But Blaine definitely did walk across the Thames. Obviously, look how many witnesses saw him.:evil: As did Dynamo (who was pulled by the River Cops for jaywalking on water). Which makes it undeniably-real.

I've some magic beans. Does anyone want to buy them?

Good post, thank you.

Agreed .. great post .. the devil is in the detail. It's all prep, the same as F/X make up tricks or a magician sawing a lady in half, you have to drum up the drama .. when I was a little lad, my Dad was friends with an old fellow who could suddenly grab a 50p coin from behind my ear .. of course it was in his hand already the whole time but he'd realise I'd know that if he didn't do a bit of acting before, during and afterwards :cool:. I performed the same 'trick' on the Son of a lady who comes into our shop and immediately afterwards deliberately started talking about something else to his Mum ..... she told me later that they'd both spotted me in Norwich and he'd said "Look ! .. there's the magic man !" and she thanked me for doing it :) ..

Last edited:
I certainly don't want to take anything away from what David Blaine does, when watching it as a live artform. I am not one of these people that shouts solutions during the show. But I most certainly am one of these people that takes nothing at face value (I can't: I view people who do, of any age, as fools). But I do enjoy seeing an expertly-delivered trick/illusion.

I've seen Derren live, many times, and met him twice....not only is he good, he's vastly-better off-camera than on.

To quote Derren "I am often dishonest in my techniques, but always honest about my dishonesty....I mix magic, suggestion, psychology, misdirection and showmanship... I happily admit cheating, as it's all part of the game"

Of course, it's slightly-more complicated than that, sometimes, to keep us on our toes. There are occasions where you don't get given the technique, and you cannot discern the solution yourself, no matter how hard you try.

But there still is one.

EDIT
One of my ambitions is to see David Blaine live, or better still, right up close. It won't ever happen, but it's a nice idea

Last edited:
I certainly don't want to take anything away from what David Blaine does, when watching it as a live artform.

I feel exactly the same. I absolutely adore magic tricks and slight of hand. Fascinating. The way we can all be so easily be led down the garden path to believe something that's not only unbelieveable but indeed, didn't actually happen. Very clever. And these guys (not too many girls so far, sadly) are incredibly brilliant at that they do. And cracking entertainment - which is the point :) it's all a show.

I absolutely adore magic tricks and slight of hand

Definitely. One of the cleverest of David Blaine's tricks is the illusion that this happened.........
david-blaines-above-the-below-stunt-ended-on-this-day-in-2003-136401099106210401-151016171956.jpg

......almost 14 years ago!

It feels as if he stepped-out of that box, after his 44 days, only just last year. But it was a loong time ago.

There's a lack of these kinds of grandstanding mega-fantastic stunts, these days. I wonder if any of the 'DBs' (David Blaine, Derren Brown, Dynamo Boy) will ever again do a biggie spectacle event? Perhaps they just need to be asked.

Wow: imagine what a treble would be like....

One of the cleverest of David Blaine's tricks is the illusion that this happened.........

Trick being the key word- obviously.

He had some kind of nutritional input in there. Again- obviously. Presumably the key was the "water" he was allowed. The key to most of these tricks is Occam's Razor. It's how this is achieved which is the fun/clever bit.

:D

Not so sure I like the big stunts. I also abhor the "street" stuff that relies on fake bystanders and dodgy camerawork/editing, as much of it does. That always feels a complete cop-out.

Last edited:
I agree. Although it's arguably the most artificial setting, I'd suggest that traditional stage magic is the most "authentic" sort. That, and close-up sleight of hand.

Stunts of the kind that Blaine & co perform leave me cold, and the fake "street" stuff is almost disrespectful to the art. Yes, of course it's all a trick, but I want to be tricked honestly by my television conjurors. If the trickery lies in how the stunt is filmed, then it's no fun at all. For me, the joy is not just in being delighted by the show, but in looking at the musician's hands, at his props, and trying to guess what's going on.

Last edited:
Back