• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Deadly Toys

A

Anonymous

It's that time of year again, when the evil elves try to sneak their wares into Santa's sack. Yep, it's the deadly toy round up for 2003:

This year we have electronic nunchakus (!), asphyxia-inducing frogs, and a slingshot which when "forcefully firing the balls with which it is sold and has the potential to cause serious eye injuries."

Full list here.

Any other bizarre examples from years gone by?

Does anyone remember "Ricochet Racers"? They were a marvelous toy from my youth. Basically it was a gun that fired special, bullet-shaped, toy cars. Not only did it play merry hell with the skirting board, but realising the potential for mayhem by firing these heavy cars at things (and people) led to all sorts of problems (and confiscations) around where I lived.:eek!!!!:

I've seen those water balls, and a kid would have to be pretty damn stupid to strangulate himself on it.

C'mon, its not fun and games until someone gets hurt.

"Blunt impact"? ANYTHING you can hold can give you a "blunt impact" if you hit yourself and someone in it.

Next, on baseball bats: "WARNING: MAY CAUSE INJURY IF APPLIED WITH FORCE TO BODY"

I remember the media hysteria about 20 or so years ago about those smelly erasers and pens (I remember the strawberry ice-cream one was divine).

According to the news reports children in their thousands were munching on these erasers and choking. I had some and I was quite happy sniffing and one tentative bite soon put you off eating enough to choke you.

Every year on the local news I remember we had reports on the illegal toys seized by customs and excise and I'm wondering if 'they' still make teddies and dolls with their limbs attached by spikes.

When I was in primary school (cira 1977) they banned a toy that I think was called Clackers, like two wooden balls on the end of a cord that you kind of waved up and down and had to get to bounce off each other at the top and bottom of the wave (hence the clacking noise). Banned because kids kept getting the action wrong and smashing their knuckles to pieces.

Then everyone got bored and for the next year or so they kept turning up looped around telegraph lines.

Ah, mention of them here:

"(7) Toys usually known as clacker
balls and consisting of two balls of
plastic or another material connected
by a length of line or cord or similar
connector (referred to as ‘‘cord’’ in
§ 1500.86(a)(5)), intended to be operated
in a rhythmic manner by an upward
and downward motion of the hand so
that the two balls will meet forcefully
at the top and bottom of two
semicircles thus causing a ‘‘clacking’’
sound, which toys present a mechanical
hazard because their design or
manufacture presents an unreasonable
risk of personal injury from fracture,
fragmentations, or disassembly of the
toy and from propulsion of the toy or
its part(s)."

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/....gpo.gov/cfr_2002/janqtr/pdf/16cfr1500.18.pdf

I remember the media hysteria about 20 or so years ago about those smelly erasers and pens (I remember the strawberry ice-cream one was divine).

God, novelty erasers! ALL the girls at school collected "rubbers", we spent hours just lining them up and sniffing them...there was something gorgeusly heady and addictive about the scents, I remember strawberry, mint, banana, chocolate...If I smell anything like them, I takes me back 20 years.

BlackRiverFalls said:
When I was in primary school (cira 1977) they banned a toy that I think was called Clackers, like two wooden balls on the end of a cord that you kind of waved up and down and had to get to bounce off each other at the top and bottom of the wave (hence the clacking noise). Banned because kids kept getting the action wrong and smashing their knuckles to pieces.

Then everyone got bored and for the next year or so they kept turning up looped around telegraph lines.

I remember those! I had a pair <gasp> not sure how I acquired them as my mother wasn't into buying toys for me ... I never met anyone who smashed their hands playing with them tho'

A few years back you could buy these fairy things, that had wings, they stood on a thing and you pulled the string and the fairy whirled round and took off - "Oooo look! Isn't that cute ... Argh my eye, my eye!!"

Lawn darts!

In this case, when your mum said, "Be careful with that, you could put someone's eye out", she really meant it.

Dark Detective said:
a slingshot which when "forcefully firing the balls with which it is sold

It's considered a design defect for a slingshot to 'forcefully fire'. Was this list assembled by lunatics?

I'm waiting for the day, when a child gets injured by a pencil whilst at school, and theres an outcry from parents, or a lawsuit or something, and pens, pencils, anything with a pointy end gets banned from schools.

Believe me, it'll happen.

Any toy has the potential to injure, if misused. My mate has a scar on his shoulder where he was belted with the donkey from Buckaroo by his brother, when he kept winning. And I had my glasses broken, and head bruised by a football that I didn't see coming. And those are standard playthings.

"NEW FROM MENTAL PLAYTHINGS 'FEET!' These crazy new designs can be worn on the ends of your legs, and are a great place for storing those shoes or socks that have been cluttering up your room. They can be used for all sorts of different games and sports, and are great for keeping you afloat whilst swimming. 'FEET!' from MENTAL PLAYTHINGS 'ODOUROUS FUN!'

Warning: FEET! Must only be used by children if supervised by competent adults. Misuse of FEET! could result in kicks, crying and running home to mummy. FEET! can be used at speed, but only by competent individuals. Do not use whilst under the influence of alcohol.

molga parrot said:
God, novelty erasers! ALL the girls at school collected "rubbers", we spent hours just lining them up and sniffing them...there was something gorgeusly heady and addictive about the scents, I remember strawberry, mint, banana, chocolate...If I smell anything like them, I takes me back 20 years.
now where on earth could you find something made of rubber that smells like chocolate or stawberries nowadays ..

Nickelodeon Gooze-Super Scented Soda Fountain

Price: $18
Ages: 8+
Manufacturer: Flying Colors Toys
Product Warnings: " May cause an allergic reaction to hypersensitive individuals", "Do not eat. Keep away from face and hair."

Potential hazard: Allergic reaction. W.A.T.C.H. alleges that even though the manufacturer warns that the Soda Foundation, sold in "Cherry Cola", "Grape Soda", "Mint Chocolate Chip" and "Marshmallow" flavors, is not meant for eating, the fact that it smells and looks like real food poses a danger of ingestion and allergic reaction.

:confused: :confused: I'm confused: a soda fountain that produces soda that isn't for drinking?:confused: :confused:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Electronic Michelangelo's Nunchukus

Price: $14.99
Ages: 4+
Manufacturer: Playmates Toys
Product Warnings: None

Potential hazard: Blunt impact injuries. W.A.T.C.H alleges small children are encouraged to don a ninja mask while wielding "Michelangelo's Nunchukus", touted as "powerful weapons in the hands of a trained Ninja Master". The manufacturer describes the "twirling" weapons to be used in "battle", consisting of 2 long plastic handles connected by a plastic chain. The product comes with no warnings, W.A.T.C.H said.

or even:Traditional wooden fire engine pull along toy

Price: $29.95
Ages: 24 months and over
Manufacturer: The Toy Workshop, Ltd

Potential hazard: Choking. W.A.T.C.H. alleges the bright red engines are sold for children as young as 24 months with no warnings. The heads of the small wood figurines can be removed and ingested by small children, W.A.T.C.H. said.

They're trying to kill our children! It's a cionspiricy!

Why can't these kids play safe games like we used to?:confused:

Such as:

Swordfighting - hitting each other with sticks

Robin Hood and Little John - hitting each other with big sticks.

Soldiers- running around making machine gun noises. Then hitting each other with sticks.

Climbing trees. Then falling out of them and hitting your mates with a stick cos they laughed at you as you bounced.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/031125/80/eeus2.htmlHulk powers into violent toy list
By Cyrille Cartier

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A stuffed toy version of the Incredible Hulk that opens its mouth and yelps when hit in the chest is among a dozen toys criticised by a U.S. group opposed to marketing violence to children.

"The toys on the dirty dozen list teach that violence is fun," said Daphne White, director of the Lion & Lamb Project, a non-profit group that has been compiling such a list since 1996.

At a news conference on Monday, White criticised toys like the "Kid Powered Roaring Hulk" and video games "Enter the Matrix", made by Infogrames Entertainment and "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines", made by Atari Inc. The games are tied to movies intended for an older audience, and White called for regulation of the toy and entertainment industry.

A spokeswoman for a toy industry group told Reuters the appropriateness of toys was subjective.

"Playing with toys and imaginative play is an important part of childhood," said Julie Livingstone, director of marketing communications at the Toy Industry Association. "Parents need to be involved and aware of disturbing and overly aggressive behaviour."

Jeanne Funk, a clinical child psychologist at the University of Toledo in Ohio who has studied the effect of video games, said children whose favourite games tended to be violent had less empathy for other people.

Video games do not cause children to be less empathetic, but Funk said, "There's no reason to believe that playing violent video games would improve empathy."

Fortis said:
Does anyone remember "Ricochet Racers"? They were a marvelous toy from my youth. Basically it was a gun that fired special, bullet-shaped, toy cars. Not only did it play merry hell with the skirting board, but realising the potential for mayhem by firing these heavy cars at things (and people) led to all sorts of problems (and confiscations) around where I lived.:eek!!!!:

I had a Ricochet Racer bullet-car gun. It didn't take me long to figure out the so-called safety system. This consisted of the front "gun rest" that had to be in the right position to fire. An elastic band sorted that. Then you had to hold the safety catch forward ... done with the same hand as the "trigger" hand. Hey Presto! You could fire the cars at anything! Only had a range of five feet `though!:mad:

I also had a pair of fine-looking glass-type clackers. I lent them to a freind who was brilliant at it, making them sound like a machine gun. Unfortunately she was so good, they damn' shattered!

surely if kids are daft enough to top themselves with toys it's just natural selection!

I remember beating my younger brother to custard using a spacehopper (which are now said to cause irreperable damage to a young boy's two veg. during excessive bouncing).

Also remember owning 'JAWS - The Hungry Shark Game' and hooking extra rubber bands around hinged jaw of said shark so that it would snap with the force of a real Great White whenever my brother put his fingers near.

Also remember taking part (every Sunday) in a great game called 'Catholic Guilt.' The idea was to enter this small box with a screen running down the middle. You'd then have to confess to(or make up) every sin you imagined you'd committed that week whereupon a husky voiced moderator (who remained hidden) would decide on your forfeit.
Now that really was a dangerous game...

Now is the time, my freind, to get past these repressed memories and seek therapy. Surely no church would encourage their congregation to admit to things, either real or imagined, and impose forfeits?

Kiddies game? Yikes! That's more damaging than British Bulldog!

Does doll deliver Islamic message?
10/08

"Parents are outraged about the messages they're hearing from a doll. It's Fisher-Price's "Little Mommy Real Loving Baby Cuddle and Coo" doll.
People claim they can hear it mumble "Satan is king", and clearly speak "Islam is the light."
Gary Rofkahr of Owasso was at his office, when a man brought the doll in to show his co-workers.
"There's no markings on the box to indicate there's anything Islamic about this doll."
Rofkahr said he found several versions of the doll at Wal-Mart and Target in Owasso.
Those stores have since been pulled the dolls from the shelves.
As of Wednesday night, 2NEWS had not heard back from Fisher-Price or its parent company, Mattel.
A Target spokesperson said their company has no plans to pull the doll from all of its shelves.
The dolls are sold nationwide and 2NEWS has heard the dolls are in Tulsa and Sand Springs."

Article with ridiculously loaded poll:
http://www.kjrh.com/news/local/story.as ... 8108ba4971

Video of the doll's mysterious message:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=AIzixws1sSQ&NR=1

Wait, are people seriously more concerned about "Islam is the light" than about "Satan is king"?

Mattel probably intends the baby to make random baby babbling noises and it never occured to them to hire paranoids, of the kind who made "backmasking" a national fear, to vet the recordings for audio hallucination potential.

PeniG said:
Wait, are people seriously more concerned about "Islam is the light" than about "Satan is king"?

Mattel probably intends the baby to make random baby babbling noises and it never occured to them to hire paranoids, of the kind who made "backmasking" a national fear, to vet the recordings for audio hallucination potential.

I have listened to the voice and what the doll is saying and it dont sound clear enough to me to make a decision.

Yes peniG i agree i would be more concerned with the satan one than the islam one, its not something children should be exposed to.

Glad to see the Masters teaching is being spread.

Ramon
Opus Diabolus

hat does not seem to be a good thing to teach young children.

They can make their own minds up when they are old enough to fully understand.

goth13girl666 said:
hat does not seem to be a good thing to teach young children.

They can make their own minds up when they are old enough to fully understand.

I think kids know what hats are all about and that it shouldn't be a age issue. :miaow:

Video of the doll's mysterious message:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=AIzixws1sSQ&NR=1

if you watch the part 2 version which has the speech reversed, you might want to know that it's a screamer... i think i just messed my pants :(

it sounds like one of those evp's, where it's saying ijgu arhcooecrjcig, but once someone's told you what it's meant to be saying, your brain keeps telling you you're hearing that...

Back