• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dialog

uair01

Antediluvian
Didn't know about this one. Sounds like Bilderberg 2.0 :D

http://infoproc.blogspot.nl/2016/03/dialog-2016.html

Everything at this meeting is off the record, so I can't say much about it. The one comment I'll make is that among this group of elites almost no one I've spoken to groks Trump or his appeal to a large number of Americans.

Dialog is an biannual 2-day thought retreat, gathering 150 global leaders to discuss how to change the world. Dialog was created in 2006 to bring together global leaders across industries to discuss some of the most pressing world issues, to provide an opportunity for cross-pollination & collaboration.

There are no speakers. No panels. All attendees participate in break-out facilitated discussions. And we limit the discussion to only 150 global leaders who can have an impact now and emerging leaders who can help implement the plans we develop.

Wow, interesting.

And....well, my goodness, not seen this since... perhaps, ages ago!! Certainly, my first sighting this century

almost no one I've spoken to groks Trump[/QUOTE]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok
ɡrɒk/ is a word coined by Robert A. Heinlein for his 1961 science-fiction novel Stranger in a Strange Land. While the Oxford English Dictionary summarizes the meaning of grok as "to understand intuitively or by empathy, to establish rapport with" and "to empathize or communicate sympathetically (with); also, to experience enjoyment", Heinlein's concept is far more nuanced, with critic Ishvan Csicsery-Ronay Jr. observing "the book's major theme can be seen as an extended definition of the term." The concept of grok garnered significant critical scrutiny in the years after the book's initial publication. The term and aspects of the underlying concept have become part of communities as diverse as polyamory (in particular the Church of All Worlds) and computer science.

'Grok' is used a lot by software developers and other geeks.
It's because the reading of science fiction is common among such people.

me, I grok! :)

but I do NOT grok Trump :(

More likely it's a silicon valley conference. Silicon Valley loves that kind of phrasing.

I used to think grok was a Dutch word, because I only ever heard Dutch people use it. As it turned out, all the Dutch people I knew happened to be science fiction nerds. :p

I don't know anything about the conference, though.

Back