• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Disturbing Cartooons

unclebob said:
And whilst I can't remember being scared of any particular series, there was an episode of Dungeons and Dragons where the Ranger was turned into a Skeleton warrior that freaked me out. I bought it on DVD, watched it and you don't see anything. In my mind, the most frightening thing on telly. In reality, it's the ear cutting scene from Resevior Dogs. You don't see much at all.

I remember that. It really was a dark cartoon. And we never saw it end on screen - if I remember rightly the last episode was never screened. Although scripts do exist on the net.

The episode that bothered me the most though concerned kids being pulled into the dungeon realm by monsters which appeared under there beds. They would reach their arms up from underneath, and pull the child down through a portal in the darkness beneath the bedframe. :shock:

They don't make them like they used to... :D

Yes, that is decidedly worrying.

Was `Jayce and the wheeled warriors` the one where everybody wore roller boots?

No, it was where these bizarre plants used to grow evil vehicles in pods.

Lots of tentacled plants that grew very fast and fings wiv (surprise) big wheels.

That too was show on early weekend mornings. It was ace.

Organic evil plant vehicles - how can you lose with that?

Organic evil plant vehicles - how can you lose with that?

Screw you nature! I've seen what happens when plants are allowed to grow! Cut down those trees! :twisted:

It does give out slightly the wrong message about conservation. Mind you, at least it isn't Captain bloody Planet.(shudder) PC gone horribly wrong.

And that episode of D&D with the kids getting abducted was rather freaky.

They don't make them like they used to...

Aye, we grew up on Skeleton Warriors, abducted children, evil plant cars and giant robots in the midst of a civil war(How I love ye Transformers!). Today? Ah well. Today's bairns will have to grow up without the wonderful nightmares we all got.

It's not just me, is it? Kid's TV is crap right now.

Unless you've got satellite and can get the Cartoon Network and Toonami, yes it's rubbish.

All the British kids stuff is very low quality and just recycles American stuff from about five years ago. The good cartoons on Toonami and that are all aimed at teenagers/adults anyway, that's why there's so many little in jokes and questionable moments.

Really, does anyone think Dexter's Lab is just for kids?

Not that Mr Jack spends his time watching cartoons, oh no....

Curious Ident said:

Nope, it's not just you. :( Btw, am I the only person in the world who absolutely despises Japanese animation?

Yes, I miss Toonami (Formerly CNX). Lost access to it since I moved out of my parents place a couple of years back and into a flat that can't have satellite.

Terrestrial childrens TV is pretty awful.

Leaferne said:
Curious Ident said:

Nope, it's not just you. :( Btw, am I the only person in the world who absolutely despises Japanese animation?

How much have you actually seen? And are we talking proper anime, or just the heavily edited American rehashes made up for kids TV?

There is anime for all tastes and pockets.

BTW, I love giant robot shows....

There's nothing wrong with that. Personally, if I was involved in making TV programmes and it was losing viewers, I'd throw in a giant robot. Win 'em back in droves so it would!

"Ally McBeal losing viewers? Lets kill all but one of the cast and have giant robots!" I would have watched an episode then.

And thinking about disturbing moments in cartoons. I don't know if it disturbed me but I was devestated when Optimus Prime died in Transformers. And pretty much every original. Now that I think about it...... :?

unclebob said:

And thinking about disturbing moments in cartoons. I don't know if it disturbed me but I was devestated when Optimus Prime died in Transformers. And pretty much every original. Now that I think about it...... :?

That really was a brave move. Killing off one of the biggest icons of 80s kid's toys and cartoons, in such a greek tragical, non-kid friendly, kind of way. Very brave - excellent story telling.

Recently resaw Transformers the movie in a fit of needing the nostalgia. :D Was actually pleasantly surprised at how well the quality of the animation still stood up. A lot shorter than I remembered though... :D

Novel Toons/Harvey Toons

Looks like I missed out on all the weird British/European kidshows, but we had weird in America, too!

From the '40s through the early '60s, Paramount put out "Noveltoons" in the theaters, which became "Harvey Toons" on TV -- the same people who created Casper, Baby Huey, and others. There were many stand-alone toons that were just plain disturbing.

The sickest puppy of the bunch had to do with an explorer who saved the life of a pygmy-sized cannibal in Borneo and, "adopting" him, brought him to America. The cannibal looked like the Tazmanian Devil without as much hair, and whenever the explorer and his little chum were out in public (and the explorer was looking elsewhere), the pygmy would eye an old woman or newspaper-reading commuter, open his bear-trap-like mouth, the screen would go black with a SNAP!, and there would be nothing left but a pair of boots on the pavement.

At the end, the explorer is in an accident, and the ambulance team gives him a blood transfusion right on the street (?!), using the cannibal as a reluctant donor. The explorer's eyes bug out, his choppers turn into triangular shark teeth, and he chases the pygmy off into the sunset . . .

Oops!

Oops! Sorry about the multiple entry! My PC or AOL or the Trilateral Commission or that voice coming out of my electric fan wasn't letting me submit, so I kept on clicking. . . :oops:

I'm sure some moderator somewhere can erase a couple of them. :?

Re: Novel Toons/Harvey Toons

Amarok2 said:
Looks like I missed out on all the weird British/European kidshows, but we had weird in America, too!

From the '40s through the early '60s, Paramount put out "Noveltoons" in the theaters, which became "Harvey Toons" on TV -- the same people who created Casper, Baby Huey, and others. There were many stand-alone toons that were just plain disturbing.

The sickest puppy of the bunch had to do with an explorer who saved the life of a pygmy-sized cannibal in Borneo and, "adopting" him, brought him to America. The cannibal looked like the Tazmanian Devil without as much hair, and whenever the explorer and his little chum were out in public (and the explorer was looking elsewhere), the pygmy would eye an old woman or newspaper-reading commuter, open his bear-trap-like mouth, the screen would go black with a SNAP!, and there would be nothing left but a pair of boots on the pavement.

At the end, the explorer is in an accident, and the ambulance team gives him a blood transfusion right on the street (?!), using the cannibal as a reluctant donor. The explorer's eyes bug out, his choppers turn into triangular shark teeth, and he chases the pygmy off into the sunset . . .

Wow! That really is disturbing!

Anyone remember a show called 'Tomfoolery' from the late 70's I think. I remember little about it other than it was fast paced and very surreal. The only distinct thing I remember of it was the narrator kept interrupting the show saying 'I'm not doing anything until I get my hard-boiled egg'.

Bizarre.

Don't remember that one, but it reminds me of Dangermouse, when the narrator (also voiced by David Jason, I believe) would get in a huff and storm out, slamming the door behind him.

IIRC, there used to be very strange one sided conversations between him and a controller/director or someone who you could never hear, just this guy arguing with himself about how the script was really lame this week or something.

Re: Novel Toons/Harvey Toons

Amarok2 said:

did one of these involve an inamate man stuck a bar, and the bartender telling the story of how he got there, and how the bartender now must force-feed the frozen man beer and pretzels to keep him alive? disturbed me as a kid. i've see the cannibal cartoon, and i recall this frozen-bar-guy cartoon having similiar animation

The Oddessey was always cool with its strange mixed Lord of the Flies/Feudalistic/Orwellian society. Kinda fits in with Ulysees 31... all this classical stuff. One question, did he ever find Brad and was it his dad?

I remember the plant cars thing one. Anyone remember the program where the post-apocyliptic 'knights' had holograms in their chests that allowed them to turn into animals. And the baddies had the power to use the old flying cars and things.

Any takers?

In the early 80's, we had just gotten basic cable, which was quite a big deal for myself and my older brother and sister ( wow! NINE channels of entertainment ! ) living as we did in a tiny speck on the map, hundreds of miles from the nearest metropolis ( we were city kids and our sudden relocation to the wastes of southern Arizona took a great deal of getting used-to ). Anyhow, as filler between films, the 'movie channels' ( HBO, Showtime, etc., ) used to showcase short subjects from around the world, generally little 2 or 3 minute animated shorts. I recall one in particular which has stayed with me to this day. It started in complete blackness, accompanied by weird organ music played backward. The screen slowly began to reveal the figure ( head and shoulders ) of a man wearing what looked like a black overcoat, with his back to the screen. This was rendered in a 'smudgy' or 'sloppy' style of animation in colors of black, orange and green. After several seconds the music abruptly stopped, and the figure screams 'NO! NO! I SAID NO! TAKE MY SOUL WILL YOU?' at which point the weird organ music started up again, and the figure begins to laugh menacingly until the screen slowly returns to blackness and the short ends. This thoroughly creeped me out as a kid, and I never saw it again. I always imagined it to be the product of some obscure russo-finnish animation house, with the express purpose of creating nightmare fodder for impressionable young children.

Harvey Toons Again

did one of these involve an inamate man stuck a bar, and the bartender telling the story of how he got there, and how the bartender now must force-feed the frozen man beer and pretzels to keep him alive? disturbed me as a kid. i've see the cannibal cartoon, and i recall this frozen-bar-guy cartoon having similiar animation

The "frozen man" was a skid-row bum who found a singing flea. Most of the cartoon had him chasing the flea across town as it hitched rides on assorted canine butts. He finally catches it, and, certain it will fetch him fame and fortune, he shows it to his pal, the bartender -- who instantly swats the nasty insect. Boing! The unfortunate fellow turns into a catatonic statue. The bartender tells this all in flashback to a new customer who is understandably curious about the disheveled, raggedly-whiskered man staring into space. (The barkeep feels obligated to force-feed the catatonic fellow beer and pretzels -- I remember wondering, "What about 'tother end?" as a child.) Besides being disturbed that a human being could be reduced to such a state, I don't think I've ever seen a seven-minute cartoon with more cigarettes and alcohol in it -- and some of the songs the flea sang were rather risque . . .

The more I think of them, the more Harvey toons return to haunt me. One had a boy who liked dressing as a spaceman, with a plastic spacesuit, fishbowl helmet that revealed only his eyes, and a plastic raygun. He rolls off on a scooter -- and an actual alien, dressed exactly the same, lands in his backyard. The boy's mother drags the alien off on a shopping trip, and the bemused extraterrestrial causes havoc that the mother manages never to see, levitating cars and people, disintegrating things, etc. Most grotesque scene: A mastiff-like dog next door keeps barking at the alien. Mother says, "I wish that dog would shut up!" The obliging little spaceman fires his raygun at it. The dog is reduced to a skeleton -- that still stands, strains against its leash, and works its jaw as if barking -- but there's no noise.

Another toon was a silly travelogue of Italy. The narrator mentions that modern/ abstract art is big in Italy. We see a shapely female model, back to the audience, and an artist painting her portrait. "I am finished, Senhorita!" he cries, revealing the portrait: The hair, shoulders and body of the woman are natural enough, but her face is a blue-green cubistic nightmare with ears and eyes placed randomly, like a Shoggoth sculpted of Lego blocks. The model rises, picks up her purse, turns, and walks away -- and we see that she has the same face!! Hated approaching women from behind for a long time, in case they turned and revealed . . .

Then there was a "new car" cartoon, with the usual gags, like driving out of the showroom with a new auto and having it fall to pieces within seconds. At one point the narrator advises drivers to be careful at railway crossings. We see an anthropomorphic dog stop at a crossing, look both ways -- we see nothing out to the horizon in both directions -- then he putters across. A train explodes out of nowhere and smashes the car (and presumably the dog) into a million bits.

Well, the same happens to Wile E. Coyote frequently. But this epic cuts to the engineer, an ugly anthropomorphic pig, who looks back at the accident, pulls out a rubber stamp, and stamps a car silhouette on the side of the locomotive, amongst many other silhouettes. And he rears back and gives out the craziest laugh I ever heard.

As strange as these toons were, it seems stranger in retrospect that they were packaged for pre-schoolers! The Warner and Popeye cartoons came on in the afternoon, but the Harveys were shown when anyone over the age of six would be gone to school. So all these disturbing images were crammed into my head by the time I was in Kindergarten. That's why today I sit in the corner and gibber quietly to myself.

I dont know, the anarchic humour would like as not appeal to the very young.

RJM- Visionaries

Quality, quality old show - there were only about 12 episodes but it was much better than most of the tat around these days.

Series can be bought on DVD - of which I am a proud owner!

Re: Harvey Toons Again

Amarok2 said:
... So all these disturbing images were crammed into my head by the time I was in Kindergarten. That's why today I sit in the corner and gibber quietly to myself.
"But, at least he's easy to feed." Barman picks up full ashtray... :twisted:

Have we talked about Dr. Snuggles? Did anyone else find that cartoon slightly disturbing?

The Camel in the clouds, and the cosmic cat?

Was it just me?

-Fitz

Back