• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

do males "follow a monthly cycle?"

do males "follow a monthly cycle"

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

• havent noticed

• who cares!

• no comment

• it needs more serious research

• Total voters

Melf

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
and yes this is a serious poll!

I have never noticed a monthly cycle but i think men get a bad press when it comes to their 'hormones'. Male 'hormones' being seen as bad while womens are seen as ok. If women are a martyr to their hormones why not men?

I'm a firm believer in the male menopause. My step-father and my friends father are in their late 50's and they have definiately changed in character in the last few years.

Yes! I think my spouse becomes bizaarly unreasonable a day or so every month, then he's back to normal. We'll have really interesting circular arguments over nothing.

You know, I think I'm going to start marking it on the calendar and see if there's a certain period of days inbetween.

Bugger off! Mind your own business! I hate everyone! Keep well
out of my way, if you know what's good for you! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sorry - just a touch of pre-masturbatory tension. :p

Does being irritable before payday count?

According to one website I found, men's hormones do cycle but rather faster than a woman's. It has to do with the creation of viable sperm. Overall: "In humans the duration of each cycle is approximately 16 days and 4.6 cycles are required for a mature sperm to develop from early spermatogonia. Therefore, the duration of the entire spermatogenic cycle in humans is 4.6 cycles times 16 days equals 74 days."

Apparently during that 74 day cycle, there are many many ups and downs of different hormones, but the peaks and valleys are not as pronounced as for a woman's cycle.

There is a school of thought that also says that a woman's cycle is more pronounced because she has a lunar-calendar lenght cycle, which means she has a hormonal cycle linked to a tidal cycle, (the human body being 90-something percent water). If that's true at all then it stands to reason that the man would also experience the tidal lunar cycle, altho a lesser version since his hormonal cycle would not synch.

Botton line: we're all lunatics.

When I gave a talk on the 'male menopause' idea in the spring absolutely everything I spoke about produced gales of laughter from the group, who obviously found male physiology and sexuality to be hilarious.:(

I daren't imagine what effect a mention of a 'spermatozoic cycle' would have had- mass hernias, probably.

I've never noticed men having a "monthly" I thought they had "the curse" every five minutes ... :)

Of course not

Now get me a large bar of chocolate and stop annoying me!
Oh...

I guess we do.:)

Certainly there seems to be some kind of male cycle, but it really does need serious research. I wonder if the cycle of any lady in same house has an affect? - like when several ladies move in together and start to share monthly cycle times.

I've noticed them cowering in fear for a few days every month, and offering gifts of chocolate.

Frankly, I think there's a lot of nonsense being spread about the "differences" between sexes.

It's a fact that women must go through a monthly "cycle" (and I still think that certain sanitary products should be zero VAT since they aren't "luxuries") and that, apart from hormone treatment, they go through a major change, known as menopause, in later years.

Every time the news announces yet another celebrity wedding between an "old geezer" and a younger woman, we are expected to admire him. This is a sign of virility. No. This is a sign of his celebrity or wealth. Big deal! He's got enough "lead in the pencil" to be able to have sex and create a child. It doesn't make him any younger!

This "male monthly cycle" story is probably a UL, put about by a group who feel that since the seventies and eighties, the male has lost ground in the "sex war". Women have always had a hard time and now they are reaching equal status. So pro-male groups may be wanting to pull the "you think you've got a problem" card to even the score. Pathetic. Prove it medically and I might be interested (such as a male menopause - theoretically possible but anecdotally lame) but from a liberated, fair-minded male perspective, I don't think I go on a "monthly cycle". Now sod off! I've got chocolate to eat, Brief Livesto watch and I want a damn good cry!

Fallen Angel said:
There is a school of thought that also says that a woman's cycle is more pronounced because she has a lunar-calendar lenght cycle, which means she has a hormonal cycle linked to a tidal cycle, (the human body being 90-something percent water). If that's true at all then it stands to reason that the man would also experience the tidal lunar cycle, altho a lesser version since his hormonal cycle would not synch.

I've been reading about this-very few women have a hormone cycle that exactly matches the moon's phases, mine is regular but way off synching with the moon.
Also,the gravitational pull of the moon is so slight on something as relatively tiny as a human that it would have no 'tidal' affect on a human body at all. The moon has much less affect on the natural world than people would like to think.

yep, agree with marion (there's a suprise!) that I'm regular and zip to do with the moon.

I always assumed that men had some kind of semi regular cycle.... otherwise what's their excuse? ;)

serious answer: yes, but quite possibly not monthly.

Kath

Excuse for what?!

:rolleyes: :D

I think my cycle's annual! I get a bit pissed off when the days grow shorter.

I've not noticed a 'monthly' change in me or my mates at all...

"Excuse for what?!"

see? snippy and irritable! :-D

know what you mean about the shorter days..... am enjoying raven's rambles by the way...

Kath

I must admit I do tend to "peak" once a month. Usually on the day "Big and Bouncy" arrives.

stonedoggy said:
"Excuse for what?!"

see? snippy and irritable! :-D

know what you mean about the shorter days..... am enjoying raven's rambles by the way...

Kath

NO! I just get tired of hearing people slagging off blokes! :) I think there musta been a trend for it of late...!

It's worst when we get those autumn days...get up in the dark, grey day 'til 3, go home in the dark...for weeks! Aaarrrgghhh!:eek!!!!:

Oh ta! I'm just in the middle of uploading some new trips! :)

They Undoubtably Do !

Most men get their 'Beeriod' on the Saturday morning following the arrival of the month's paycheque.

Symptons are irritability, dry mouth, nausea (in severe cases - vomiting), headaches, and a desire to lie in the sofa and gorm at Cat Deeley.

Seriously.

I think my hubby has taken over my monthly cycles since I've been pregnant and now breastfeeding (not the physical side but the emotional side!). He does seem to get very moody about once a month and even sometimes sheds a tear or two - sorry if he's reading this, I'll probably be in trouble now!!!

I cycle nearly every day. :)

What do you mean, "wrong sort of cycle"?

Nobody's mentioned biorythms yet! (or if they have, I was too upset to notice). There's tons of programs in the public domain which will tell you well you should be feeling low, although why you should need to be told is anyone's guess.

I also have a good friend who swears by astrology (her own strange version) - she once told be that something good was predestined and came at the right time because the moon's shadow was in uranus :)

Jane.

Marion said:
I've been reading about this-very few women have a hormone cycle that exactly matches the moon's phases, mine is regular but way off synching with the moon.
Also,the gravitational pull of the moon is so slight on something as relatively tiny as a human that it would have no 'tidal' affect on a human body at all. The moon has much less affect on the natural world than people would like to think.

Okay now I'm curious...if your cycle is regular but not synched with the moon what lenght cycle do you have? If it's 28 days plus-or-minus a day you are on a lunar cycle, you just might not be noticing it. Few women cycle precisely with the moon (i.e. menstruating when the moon is full) and of course illness, stress and childbirth can disrupt your cycle, but the average woman's 28 day cycle is in fact synched to the moon.

With regard to the moon not affecting human behaviour,
there is this interesting tidbit, and this although there are also studies that show that the moon does not affect behaviour. Interestingly, in each case the studies were based a thesis that was congruent with the findings. In other words, unsurprisingly they found exactly what they said they thought they would find. Gollee gee.

I spend more money if there's a full moon. When the moon isn't full I have immense trouble shopping for clothes etc, and I tend to time my shopping trips to coincide with the full moon if I need to buy stuff. Crazy? Yes probably.

I'm a male and this is what happens to me

Marion said:
Not so long ago, whenever there was a full moon out, I'd suffer from insomnia because I'd force myself to try and figure out all these crazy math problems and equations in my head. Some of the problems were more philosophical and I never remembered them once I woke up.:mad: It was like there were two of me and the evil one was forcing the other to stay awake and think. Images I didn't want to look at would pass before my eyes and I'd hear voices and groans and stuff that would jolt me awake (hypnogogic?). I always felt tired and worn down the next day and also frustrated at not being able to sleep.

In the past year I've begun to allow this process to happen rather than resist it. I just let it come over me like wave. Now all the images that pass through my mind are pleasant and I feel like I'm flying as they pass by :blissed:. I no longer feel compelled to work out problems. I've started to have premonitary dreams (so far, only of minor, insignificant things though). The next day I feel invigorated rather than worn out.:cool: Sometimes I can even go the day without consuming any caffene, which for me is quite a feat.;)

I believe the "me" who was tormenting myself before I learned to just go with it was the part of me that wanted to "travel." The "me" who was fighting it knew I'd have to go to work or school the next morning and didn't want to be up all night solving problems.

This only occurs on the night of a fullmoon. It's happened as far back as when I was a kid. Nothing else causes it including caffene.

Marion said:

Agreed the pull is so slight it would have little effect. Also it would have no bearing on a monthly cycle as it wouldn't relate to the phases of the moon at all. Tidal influences if they did have an effect would change continuosly throughout the day as the moon's position changed.

Having read the 'girly bits' thread and now this one, I am compelled to start a study.

Watch this space. (Mind you, if it is a 74 day cycle it could be a while in the finding!).

Slightly OT link: Do the menstrual cycles of women living together tend to synchronize?

I have certainly long understood this to be true. But never previously stopped to wonder why. Like most men who pass though life living with various different women I have previously considered this whole area to be in the realms of that which I should not expect to ever understand.

EDIT: the whole business of the 28 day regular cycle seems magical and deeply fantastic to me. Completely beyond understanding and totally wonderful.

As a fairly simple bloke - I find women, and their ability to reproduce, deeply fascinating. Every one of them a Queen Bee.

EDIT2: just spotted the other thread on the business of synchronization.

Back