• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Do You Believe In Monsters?

Stuneville, Amyasleigh has just E-mailed me to say that he can't log on as Amyasleigh or Fleabeetle.

Thanks

I'm on it.

Edit - sorted, have emailed amyasleigh.

Last edited:
the paranormal / supernatural could be in play on this scene: that (don’t ask me how) beasts-unknown-to-science could be physically and solidly on earth, but only some of the time

What he said!

There's so many encounters that denying the existence of cryptids is quite ignorant, but to the other end, always the burning question of how something so palpable could be so fleeting. More and more the answer to this question seems to be that current scientific methods are like using an airplane to search for new planets. You sort of need to wait for space travel to be invented, then launch a telescope, etc.

Topping my short list are The Jersey Devil, Dogmen (werewolves) and then that hyper allusive Snow Snake.

I'm pretty much 100% convinced of the thylacine and the orang-pendek. Others with a high probobility include the mongolian deathworm, giant anaconda, yeti, sea serpents and almasty. There may be huge monitor lizards in Central Africa and New Guinea and Nile and saltwater crocodiles and serveral python species probobly grow much larger than 'offical' records state.

There may be huge monitor lizards in Central Africa...
If I remember correctly from reading your book, you considered an extremely large varanid to be the likely identity of Mokele Mbembe, and other central African cryptids. Do you still feel that way? I think many people here would be surprised at that putative identity. Apologies if I've misremembered.

I think the Yeti is likely to be real. Sadly though I think it is probably a type of bear rather than a primate. The Almasty could well be real too. The Bunyip sounds a bit like an out of place walrus from the descriptions I have read. The Mongolian Death Worm might well be real as well as quite different to other animals we know, which is intriguing.

I reckon they're all real.

Even the ones under my bed? Scary.

If I remember correctly from reading your book, you considered an extremely large varanid to be the likely identity of Mokele Mbembe, and other central African cryptids. Do you still feel that way? I think many people here would be surprised at that putative identity. Apologies if I've misremembered.
Yes i still think a huge, semi-aquatic monitor is the best theory.

I think the Yeti is likely to be real. Sadly though I think it is probably a type of bear rather than a primate. The Almasty could well be real too. The Bunyip sounds a bit like an out of place walrus from the descriptions I have read. The Mongolian Death Worm might well be real as well as quite different to other animals we know, which is intriguing.
A seal or sealion (they have been known to swinm hundreds of miles inland uprivers) is the best explanation for the bunyip. The yeti is no bear. Yetis walk erect like men, can hurl rocks and swing clubs and habve flat, gorllia-like faces. None of these features are posessed by bears. The tracks i saw in the Garo Hills were certainly not bear.

Bears can be trained to walk on two legs and sun bears for example leave paw prints that look primate-like.

Bears can be trained to walk on two legs and sun bears for example leave paw prints that look primate-like.
The yeti is a trained bear? It's that old caretaker trying to scare folk away from the treasure again, isn't? "I'd have gotten away with it, too..."

Yes, cryptozoologists have found marks in the Himalayas that are clearly tire tracks from a unicycle.

I could well imagine Nessie being some kind of leopard seal. They are used to frigid waters and do grow quite large. If they then developed a longer neck, they might well seem quite scary.

Yes, cryptozoologists have found marks in the Himalayas that are clearly tire tracks from a unicycle.

I could well imagine Nessie being some kind of leopard seal. They are used to frigid waters and do grow quite large. If they then developed a longer neck, they might well seem quite scary.

IIRC, looking down the length of the Loch shows the curvature of the earth and the water obscures the houses at the bottom end. I once read that this also creates a stretching effect which could, possibly, make a seal neck look more elongated.

An elongated neck also seems like a fairly simple evolutionary development.

2015-05-27 20.14.00.jpg

A rare sighting of a pseudocryptid spotted outwith it's normal environment. It certainly took me by surprise...

I think they're scary enough as it is - there's something reptilian about them.

Bears only walk on two legs for short periods. Wild bears hardly ever do this (exceot when injured). I've seen sunbear tracks many, many times. They are nothing like primate tracks and nothing like orang pendek tracks, or yeti tracks.

Yep, plenty of strange creatures left to find in the oceans I expect. I've stopped believing in the physical existence of monsters though - I suspect they all arise from the same murky depths of the mind that produce aliens, ghosts, fairies etc. (I'm open to considering these may all be the products of encounters with an intelligence so 'other' that our little monkey minds can't process experiencing it as it actually is, and can only view it through the distorted lenses of our cultural and mythic programming.)

The whole Bigfoot thing in particular seems to have turned into a self-perpetuating circus along the lines of Roswell. An endless stream of conferences, documentaries, podcasts, talking heads, websites, and self-proclaimed experts, but no new tangible evidence behind any of it. It's just all got a bit boring, hasn't it?

I agree, the Bigfoot stuff has become somewhat boring. Although, given the fact I find large areas of wilderness, especially forested areas, quite spooky I still like reading about supposed Bigfoot sightings.

Reading up about the hairy humanoid also led me to this site about folks going missing in US State Parks.

http://www.canammissing.com/page/page/8396197.htm

The podcasts available online (in various places including YouTube) where David Paulides speaks about these missing people are both scary & sad. For people familiar with Davids other work, yes I know he is a Bigfoot researcher but even if you do not believe in Bigfoot the missing cases are compelling to listen to.

In some cases the reports are so eerie. Good late night listening, I'm addicted to them and the whole 'missing people' stuff in general.

Reminds me of a quiet Sunday morning reading a book whilst sat in a park in Bristol. I could hear this gentle squeaking noise getting closer & closer...

Looking up from my book a Rastafarian chap, who was smoking a joint & riding a unicycle, just slowly went by me - nodding a greeting as he passed.

I just shrugged my shoulders and thought 'its Brizzle, these things happen - carry on' :)

I agree, the Bigfoot stuff has become somewhat boring. Although, given the fact I find large areas of wilderness, especially forested areas, quite spooky I still like reading about supposed Bigfoot sightings.

Reading up about the hairy humanoid also led me to this site about folks going missing in US State Parks.

http://www.canammissing.com/page/page/8396197.htm

The podcasts available online (in various places including YouTube) where David Paulides speaks about these missing people are both scary & sad. For people familiar with Davids other work, yes I know he is a Bigfoot researcher but even if you do not believe in Bigfoot the missing cases are compelling to listen to.

In some cases the reports are so eerie. Good late night listening, I'm addicted to them and the whole 'missing people' stuff in general.

There's some interesting discussion of Paulides's work, in the thread "people who just...disappear", on sub-forum "Urban Legends / Folklore" on this board -- especially approx. areas of the thread, posts #245 - #300 and #550 -#590. The putative Bigfoot connection is touched on.

While nowadays, I am unable to buy into the idea of a purely-flesh-and-blood North American Bigfoot; find the matter (B/F and / or people disappearing) interesting to muse on.

Back