• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Does Anyone Here NOT Enjoy Music?

Do you like music ?

• 'Music is my radar...who could live without it? I ask in all honesty what would life be...', etc.

Votes: 32 66.7%
  • 'I'd like to teach the world to sing...'

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • I don't mind a catchy tune you can whistle

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • I can take it or leave it

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • It generally leaves me cold

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I actively dislike its foolish tootlings

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I suspect that a lot of people do not really enjoy music. They are the people who are merely habituated to it, like caffeine. Given a certain number of beats-per-minute, they will tolerate whatever is popular at the time. Later, they may get a maudlin hankering for the sort of thing which excited them when they were sprouting hair they could sit on. Yet it was never more than a soundtrack anyway . . .

I am probably noise-phobic, as referenced on another thread today. Background music grates on me. I can tolerate amplified pop-music only in the context of a film, where it is properly confined to creating a sleazy ambiance. It, otherwise, gets turned off pdq when it erupts on the airwaves.

This is not just :omr:. I looked for subtlety, ambiguity and structural interest in music, since I discovered Brahms, around the age of 11. I fear that many young people just stand no chance of being bitten by a Brahms or any other life-enhancing addiction; they are shut in the loud-room of childhood for ever. :thrash:

Last edited:
After all the questions and consent forms we were called into theatre. No word of a lie, the moment we walked through the door, this began playing.

I was a little perturbed! The timing was so perfect it was hard to imagine it wasn't a joke. I was expecting someone to step out laughing any minute. However, it transpired that Classic FM or something was on the radio, it was just a coincidence, and the operation proceeded with much more relaxing music.

That was Radio 3 - I was listening at the time!

I love all sorts of music, but what I can't bear is hearing the same song or piece far too much, if I have to hear Survivor's Eye of the Tiger or Soft Cell's Tainted Love or Pharrell's Happy etc one more time I shall... turn off the radio, probably. There's plenty I don't mind hearing often, though not ad nauseam, but I do like to hear new music, or music new to me. I have to have something different every once in a while.

Current pet hate: Father John Misty's hotel shite.

Current pet hate: Father John Misty's hotel shite.
I'd never heard of him before.
Thanks for introducing me to his excellent music! :p

I can't imagine my life without music. My collection of CDs, tapes and vinyl numbers over 52,000 individual tracks (I know this as I've digitised everything!) and there is something playing constantly (unless the telly's on or I'm asleep).

Can't sing a note, can't read music or play anything that produces a melody, but I do have a drum kit which I bash for at least half an hour a day (much to my neighbour's delight) and I love spinning a few tunes on the old ones-and-twos.

The only genres I don't really listen to are opera and Dolly Parton-style country-and-western. I also hate ABBA.

Dolly Parton-style country-and-western.
Yes, I concur, although if you play the 45 of Jolene at 33 and a third, it turns into a very different beast:
Speaking of C&W, I have the grave misfortune to encounter this abomination on a fairly regular basis:
Now, I didn't grow up in the C&W tradition, so I can't be sure, but to me the song just oozes insincerity and a lack of authenticity. The most positive observation I can make about it is that there's a great example of a trucker's key change which happens unusually soon in the proceedings.

Are there any country fans on here who can tell me whether I'm right, or is it actually fairly highly thought of within those circles? Certainly, the youtube comments (I know, I know...) seem fairly positive. To me, though, it's worse than fingernails down a blackboard.

I stress that it's only that particular type of country music I don't like. I don't mind a bit of bluegrass, and the music of Sixteen Horsepower / Woven Hand blows me away.

This is not just :omr:. I looked for subtlety, ambiguity and structural interest in music, since I discovered Brahms, around the age of 11. I fear that many young people just stand no chance of being bitten by a Brahms or any other life-enhancing addiction; they are shut in the loud-room of childhood for ever. :thrash:
I don't know man, I love Brahms and pop music. As well as more or less anything 'in between' (notable exception: Maroon Five. Those guys can do one). I think that music is a vast ocean, there's a place for everything.

Here, FWIW, is a song that I heard was inspired by the Dark Man of Stephen King's The Stand, The Dark Tower, etc.

The Piper by ABBA. I like this in part due to the lyrics being included.

I recall that Billy Bragg played at 33 RPM sounds like Frank Bruno and Debbie Harry played at 45 RPM sounds like Kermit the Frog. I can't find any links mind.

..I also hate ABBA...

Go wash out your collective mouths; and a pox on your eardrums.

'Summer Night City' has to be one of the best pieces of pop music ever written.

INT21

Love music....as most here probably know. I collect old vinyl (and cd's) and have a pretty good prog rock collection and classic rock, jazz, some classical and other various things.
I listen to something every day either at home on my turntable, laptop ,or in the car cd player going places.
Though I have to say most of the people in my family don't listen as often as I do nor do they seem to get into music like I do....and while I have one or two friends that also collect ,most of the people I know aren't into music like I am.

I used to say I hated ABBA. Now I'm older and mellowed I would only say I have an intense dislike of most of their music. I can't criticise it, or its influence. It just rubs me up the wrong way.

I didn't like ABBA in the 70s either, but have come to the conclusion some of the music is awesome and the band members who composed and wrote the music are geniuses (Agnetha Fältskog's bottom has been recognized as awesome since back in the days... Off topic? Yes I know.)

Last edited:
I'd never heard of him before.
Thanks for introducing me to his excellent music! :p

I don't mind him usually (though when I heard him interviewed he did seem to be an arse), but that song just crawls along doing the same banal thing over and over.

I used to scoff at ABBA, and I'm still not convinced by Dancing Queen, but I do love disposable pop music done with real heart and soul, that contradiction can be wonderful, and they have many tracks like that. Knowing Me, Knowing You has been associated with Alan Partridge for so long many have forgotten its bone-deep Scandinavian despair.

If you take 'Knowing you,knowing me' as the end of a story then I consider 'The day before you came' as the start of it.

'Knowing you..' does have real feeling. It must have been excruciatingly hard for them to perform it, let alone write it.

INT21

If you take 'Knowing you,knowing me' as the end of a story then I consider 'The day before you came' as the start of it.

'Knowing you..' does have real feeling. It must have been excruciatingly hard for them to perform it, let alone write it.

INT21

Yes, their later work (well, some of it) came from real emotional pain.

INT21
A-haaaaa

Gnc, I wonder. 'Are friends electric' ?

INT21

(it's about as far away from ABBA as you can get)

Krepostnoi,

That slow version of Jolene. Weird.

Makes me want to get out my guitar, blow the dust off and give it a try. It's one of the few songs I can play.

INT21

Oh yes, better tune it first; now where did I put my Korg.

Vargoger,

A curse (mild one) upon you for posting 'A haaaaa'

I know which song it starts, I even have the tune. But can't remember the title. And it's driving me mad.

I think the next words are 'Last night .....

INT21

Carlos,

..Ah-ha-ha, ah-aaaah. Ah-ha-ha, ah-aaaah. Ah-ha-ha, keep thinking 'bout his angeleyes. I keep thinking, a-aaah. Last night I was taking a walk along the river. And I saw him together with a young girl. And the look that he gave her made me shiver 'Cause he always used to look at me that way...

So there it is. 'Angel Eyes'.

Not one of their best.

INT21

I have proper squeezebox envy. Just look at the size of that thing.

Krepostnoi,

That slow version of Jolene. Weird.

Makes me want to get out my guitar, blow the dust off and give it a try. It's one of the few songs I can play.

INT21

Oh yes, better tune it first; now where did I put my Korg.

Funny you should say that, it's one of the few songs I can play, too: only 4 chords, and none of them an F :nods: And it never occurred to me to even try it until I heard that slowed-down version.

Back