• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dogs More Intelligent Than Cats?

I remember reading about an experiment they did on dogs and wolves. If they put food on one side of a wire fence, the dogs would try to force their way through and maybe even try to dig under it whereas the wolves tried to work out how to get around the fence.

I remember reading about an experiment they did on dogs and wolves. If they put food on one side of a wire fence, the dogs would try to force their way through and maybe even try to dig under it whereas the wolves tried to work out how to get around the fence.

Wolves are obviously officer material.

cats would jump it

So would a boxer. We had a boxer neighbor who would jump the fence at home, come over to our house, jump our fence, hang out with our dog, come inside and make himself at home. Fortunately he was a cool dog. We miss him.

1d32a282086d5440f154538465846184--cat-vs-dog-funny-memes.jpg

Our Rocky, a bright boxer/Staffie cross, would stand on his back legs to look for rabbits over a fence and take a few steps while still upright, still watching them, and then drop back to all fours and race round the corner to the entrance to chase them. Never failed to crack me up! I thought that showed intelligence.

Our Rocky, a bright boxer/Staffie cross,

We had boxers when I was a kid and I still think they are the perfect mix of good temperament and ruthless guard dog.

Also read somewhere or other that different breeds of dog show different levels of intelligence, which you would expect. The claim was that the cleverest breed is the Border Collie and the daftest is the Red Setter.
Red Setters do have very small heads (and therefore brains) in comparison to the rest of their bodies. Don't know if it's relevant, probably not if you look at things like Chihuahuas.

Dogs genuinely love humans: Scientifically demonstrated. Cats are arseholes.

A dog will stick with you until death; a cat will Foxtrot Oscar if you change its food brand.

I experience wry amusement at the typical cat owner’s effusions: “Dogs have owners; cats have staff”, “Tibbles treats me with utter disdain, interrupted only by episodes of violence”.

People, if you wish to be treated with perceived contempt and intermittent sadism by something with a brain the size of a walnut, either seek medical intervention or engage the services of a dead-eyed, ginger-dyed lady of a certain age. You’ll find her business cards in a ‘phone kiosk.

maximus otter

Last edited:
We had boxers when I was a kid and I still think they are the perfect mix of good temperament and ruthless guard dog.

Also read somewhere or other that different breeds of dog show different levels of intelligence, which you would expect. The claim was that the cleverest breed is the Border Collie and the daftest is the Red Setter.
Red Setters do have very small heads (and therefore brains) in comparison to the rest of their bodies. Don't know if it's relevant, probably not if you look at things like Chihuahuas.

I dunno about Chihuahuas, they always seem to bite me. Very poor judgment of character there.

I've only had the one boxer/Staffie cross (I don't do pedigrees) so I've little to compare him to but he did seem to show the best qualities of both breeds. He was ferociously protective, especially of children, and understood nearly everything we said.

My parents had a Red Setter they called Shamus when I was a baby I was told, I've got no memory of the dog at all but was told he was a bit mental so 'he went to the farm' .. I doubt that meant they had him put down, the only way I could see them doing that would be if he bit me or my sister so I expect (hope) he was relocated. My Mum told me I was bitten by a Jack Russel on the fingers when I was little behind someone's settee but then anything went in the early 70's and I can't remember it ... I can't stand Jack Russels though, snivelling over aggressive little rats :mad: .. my Sister used to date a bloke who owned one that tried to attack me when I was about 18, he found the situation HILARIOUS until I told him that if he didn't take it out of the room, "I'll kick it through your f***ing window!" ..

We (me and my sister) grew up with Border Collie dogs, Tim and Sam and you couldn't have asked for more well balanced, loyal and fun loving pets :) ..

Dogs certainly take more notice of you,
after all dogs have masters cats have staff.

My parents had a Red Setter they called Shamus when I was a baby I was told, I've got no memory of the dog at all but was told he was a bit mental so 'he went to the farm' .. I doubt that meant they had him put down, the only way I could see them doing that would be if he bit me or my sister so I expect (hope) he was relocated. My Mum told me I was bitten by a Jack Russel on the fingers when I was little behind someone's settee but then anything went in the early 70's and I can't remember it ... I can't stand Jack Russels though, snivelling over aggressive little rats :mad: .. my Sister used to date a bloke who owned one that tried to attack me when I was about 18, he found the situation HILARIOUS until I told him that if he didn't take it out of the room, "I'll kick it through your f***ing window!" ..

We (me and my sister) grew up with Border Collie dogs, Tim and Sam and you couldn't have asked for more well balanced, loyal and fun loving pets :) ..

My nephew had one when he was a kid and he was a lovely little dog. Really patient and gentle with kids. He used to scare the living daylights out of me when he would wander under the trampoline when the kids were bouncing on it. It would stop about an inch above his head but it never bothered him in the slightest. They got new neighbours who had a son who had Downs Syndrome and he was reluectant my nephew and his friends because he had been bullied. Sammy the dog would go over and play with him and eventually led him over to the other kids.

He did have some daft habits - like chasing birds but only when they were flying. He could lie on the lawn surrounded by birds and not bother but as soon as they took off he had to chase them. You'd hear a bark, then he'd dash across the lawn followed by a thud as he hit the fence, then the same would happen in the opposite direction.

A little known fact about jack Russells - they are pretty nifty Rugby players (crap at conversions though)
268580_139826352766028_8361729_n.jpg

I know what Swifty means about JRTs but in fairness I have encountered a couple of very placid ones, so maybe it's the owners.

Regarding pedigree dogs - I know of one breed that is quite small but with a large head. The reason the pups are so expensive to buy is that they can only be born by caesarean so they have to factor in the vet's bill.
This probably applies to several 'trendy' breeds.

I know what Swifty means about JRTs but in fairness I have encountered a couple of very placid ones, so maybe it's the owners.

Regarding pedigree dogs - I know of one breed that is quite small but with a large head. The reason the pups are so expensive to buy is that they can only be born by caesarean so they have to factor in the vet's bill.
This probably applies to several 'trendy' breeds.

I've always believed that dogs reflect their owner's personalities. The only dog I ever hit was a labrador - normally gentle, easy going dogs in my experience. But this one was very aggressive and threatening. It was off the lead and growling and snarling at everyone it encountered and the owner would launch into a torrent of abuse and made it clear she couldn't give a toss and thought it was funny.

It came up to me and wouldn't let me pass and it was in a very aggressive state. I asked to owner to do something about it and she said it was my fault for being there (a public street). Luckily I'd been taking photographs and had a tripod with me as it jumped at me - and got the spiky feet of the tripod right in the face. It wasn't so keen after that - but the owner kept mouthing off.

I reported it to the police in the local station and as soon as I said "aggressive dog" the desk sergeant said "Black lab with a female owner, blonde, chubby and has a big mouth?"
"Yes."
"Oh we know her well."

Later I heard that the dog had been put down due to it biting someone - pity they can't do the same for some owners.

We had a JRT cross too, a little spitfire. She was also protective of the kids and would even defend them against me, standing in front of them if I shouted at them and barking at me. I had no problem with that and we'd usually end up all laughing at her.

She came along about a year after we took on Rocky the boxer/Staffie but soon overtook him in understanding words and general shrewdness. They lived to ripe old ages. I still miss them both terribly.

A little known fact about jack Russells - they are pretty nifty Rugby players (crap at conversions though)

When I'd take my kids to the park we'd often see a JRT dribbling a football between its face and shoulder. The locals knew to pick up their football when it turned up as nobody could tackle it and they'd have to chase it!
The adults found this hilarious and there was never any ill-feeling. We were all too busy laughing to fall out over it!

Dogs genuinely love humans: Scientifically demonstrated. Cats are arseholes.

A dog will stick with you until death; a cat will Foxtrot Oscar if you change its food brand.

I experience wry amusement at the typical cat owner’s effusions: “Dogs have owners; cats have staff”, “Tibbles treats me with utter disdain, interrupted only by episodes of violence”.

People, if you wish to be treated with perceived contempt and intermittent sadism by something with a brain the size of a walnut, either seek medical intervention or engage the services of a dead-eyed, ginger-dyed lady of a certain age. You’ll find her business cards in a ‘phone kiosk.

maximus otter

What a load of offensive old shite. Cats are deeply loving and caring and if you don't know anything about your subject I suggest you don't post about it.

Naughty Felid - Proud owner of Cats AND Dogs.

Last edited:
Back