• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

DVD Bargains & Newspaper Freebies

Today's Mirror comes with two episodes each of Bob the Builder :? and Pingu :D while the Independent comes with a copy of Claude Chabrol's Le Boucher.

Rushes out to get the Chabrol . . . :D

Back on the Poundstore beat. I picked up a disc of Barbara Stanwyck in Lady of Burlesque, a 1943 thriller, once regarded as very daring as it was based on a novel by the stripper Gypsy Rose Lee. It turns out it was ghosted for her. There are lots of warnings online about how bad the PD prints of this film are, however the Poundstore version, from Dynamic DVD turns out to be strikingly good. Maybe it has been derived from the Image version, which is the only print to receive any praise.

The Delta Chaplin issues are turning up all over the place. There are ten volumes in all. Typically for Poundshop fare, you will need to shop around to get the set. There are better prints around of the two-reelers but this is a cheap way to acquire copies of a lot of the Keystone pictures. These have not been well preserved generally and the Delta copies are fully down to expectations. Still, they may fill a few gaps.

The Delta print of His Girl Friday comes with a biography of Cary Grant and represents very good value as the quality is far better than other PD prints I have seen. I guess, from the restored Columbia logo that it may simply have been ripped from the official studio version. While it often called a Screwball Comedy, the tone is ultra-dark as Press and Politicians compete to execute a murderer.

Whistling Jack has mentioned the Felix the Cat cartoons on Delta. There are two colour cartoons from the thirties but most of the material on this disc comes from the early twenties. One title is transferred from a shortened home-cinema version but the quality elsewhere is not bad. These silent pre-code cartoons are inventive and often weird. I especially enjoyed the early strobing psychedelia of Felix Find Out, where the curious cat gets stoned on moonshine. If you only remember the rather annoying Trans-Lux telly Felix, then this disc could be an eye-opener!

There are also two Delta volumes of Betty Boop cartoons also but these concentrate on the post-code material which is rather tame. Still it is nice stuff to have on the shelf if you like to preface old fillums with some contemporary shorts.

Finally the weirdest cartoon of them all, Krazy Kat, turns up on a Hollywood DVD double-sider coupled with a pretty but bland Canadian feature-length version of the Nutcracker Prince from 1990. There were some very early animated versions of the surreal Krazy Kat strip but this disc gives us eleven colour cartoons made for King Features in 1963. The sado-masochistic antics and perverse relationships survive nearly intact surprisingly. Not so suprisingly, Krazy is referred to as a female throughout, losing the full force of the gay mouse-loving original. The disc does begin with a bizarre orgasmic sigh which might alarm cheapskate parents who pick up this odd little disc for the kiddies! :D

The News of the World is giving away a free copy of the Frankie Howerd film , Up Pompeii.

gerardwilkie said:
The News of the World is giving away a free copy of the Frankie Howerd film , Up Pompeii.

Cool... :) Wonder if they'll follow it by giving away Up the Chastity Belt and (my favourite) Up the Front?

This site:

http://welcome.to/watchmovies#

has some wonderful things for free viewing. You really need a broadband connection, I guess, though dark ages persons like myself may get to see the movies as a series of stills accompanied by the soundtrack.

That is fine for La Jetée, which was made that way!

It depends on the bitrate, whatever that may be. :D

I think I posted the link once before but at that date I couldn't get it to work at all, however promising the contents seemed

You can see such wonders as Haxan - just original Danish intertitles, Lang's Tired Death and Hitchcock's Easy Virtue. It even has whole pictures by Fellini, Kurosawa etc.

It also has the most terrifying Hollywood movie of all - Delmer Davies' The Red House from 1947. The less said about that one the better! Maybe children understand its terrors instinctively. For the adult viewer, the horrors just multiply.

Unless the most terrifying film of all is Buñuel's 1933 documentary Las Hurdes - also on the site. Twenty-eight minutes that leave you astounded, if you have the capacity. I don't know if the American voice on the soundtrack is replicating the original Spanish. I do know that the Passacaglia from Brahms's 4th Symphony seems at first an odd choice of music then an inevitable one. Probably not Buñuel's though - he is said to have disliked all music! :shock:

I don't spend half my life in pound-shops, honest! When I see one, however, I can't resist a look to see if there are any rare and wonderful old films available for next to nothing. As with charity-shops, it pays to keep looking in, even if you are in danger of a lock-in by crazy assistants.

"Do you want a bag with that, dear?"

"No! You stay, I go. Now please let me out!"

So what mouldy old tripe did you find this time, you silly old bugger? I hear a heavenly voice ask.

Well there's Moulin Rouge, for a start. Not the noisy schlockfest of recent years but the 1952 Technicolor saga of Toulouse Lautrec, directed by John Huston. I'm not certain how far the smokey look of the opening reel is intentional. I think the print could do with some work but it isn't that bad for a quid. From a firm called Wienerworld. I think that means Dickworld in the USA!

The same firm has put out a group of Laurence Harvey movies from the fifties. I've had I am a Camera for some time but today I added the 1954 Brit-Noir The Good Die Young and the 1956 version of Three Men in a Boat - the other two men were David Tomlinson and notorious disciplinarian Jimmy Edwards. This was originally produced in Cinemascope but you'll get none of that nonsense for your quid.

Diving down into the depths of the 23rd Century catalogue, I fished out Corrupt Lieutenant with Harvey Keitel. This is not the notorious Abel Ferrera sleazefest but an opportunistic retitling of a 1981 Italian straight-to-vid flick called Corrupt originally - among other things. The co-star was punk-rocker Johnny Rotten and we are promised sado-masochistic homo-eroticism according to the imdb. Can't wait! I am actually more intigued to know if the very aged lady is the same Sylvia Sydney who starred in Hitchcock's Sabotage way back in 1936! I think she could well be. Wow.

Finally a real period piece. Head is a drug-addled nightmare but it isn't the one you expect. No Monkees here. This is another retitling, this time of a film called Premonition, directed by Alan Rudolph way back in 1971. Some hippies get stoned on some strange red flowers and have premonitions of death. The flowers look to be those horrid phallic things that were suddenly briefly fashionable some years back. I didn't know the idea was to eat them! :roll:

I had my eye on both Moulin Rouge and I am a Camera, but when I went back to my local el-cheapo emporium to get them, they'd gone... :(

I picked up that version of Three Men in a Boat a 99p shop, had to really seeing as Jerome K. Jerome was from these parts.

I also picked up a Steve-O (from Jackass and other things) dvd for the same price, thinking I could pass it onto a nephew who is fan of the show. Unfortunately he'd already got it and I have to say, it's absolutely dire.

If anyone would like the Steve-O dvd where he vomits or is seriously injured in practically every scene, PM me - you can have it gladly for free.

TheQuixote said:

I also picked up a Steve-O (from Jackass and other things) dvd for the same price, thinking I could pass it onto a nephew who is fan of the show. Unfortunately he'd already got it and I have to say, it's absolutely dire.

If anyone would like the Steve-O dvd where he vomits or is seriously injured in practically every scene, PM me - you can have it gladly for free.
Can't say I'm big on the homo-erotic scatalogical S&M scene, either. :cross eye

I can remember when MTV was wall to wall music videos. Now it's wall to wall "Jock(strap)-humor" crap. Sometimes literally! :shock:

Film four do a 30 day free trial with up to 6 free DVD's. Order, watch, return and then cancel the subscription. 8)

Tomorrow The Daily Mail is giving away "Kind Hearts and Coronets" It's 1 of those cut out token and go to W.H Smiths thingys. Now I just have to get over my revulsion at buying the Mail, still there's always the recycle bin......
There's a full list of the freebies on The Mail's site

morningstar667 said:
Tomorrow The Daily Mail is giving away "Kind Hearts and Coronets" It's 1 of those cut out token and go to W.H Smiths thingys.

It's not, y'know - it comes free with yer actual paper :D It is part of an overall coupon-redeemable thing though, albeit one that seems worth participating in - the other films are Billy Liar!, The Colditz Story, The Cruel Sea, The Ladykillers, The Lavender Hill Mob, Far From the Madding Crowd, The Man In the White Suit, Passport to Pimlico, School For Scoundrels, The Great St. Trinian's Train Robbery and The Titfield Thunderbolt (one of these would be given away with next Saturday's Mail, I'm unsure which though...). If you collect all ten tokens over the next fortnight, you can send a cheque for £5.99 and get the lot - bargain! :D

WhistlingJack said:
It's not, y'know - it comes free with yer actual paper :D It is part of an overall coupon-redeemable thing though, albeit one that seems worth participating in..
Nothing involving the purchase of the Daily Mail can be worth participating in. They're not doing you a favour, you know - they just want you to buy the Daily Mail. Do what I do - ask around at work til you find someone who will openly admit to buying it (there's normally one or two in any big organisation - they tend to be a bit defensive, socially maladroit and probably haven't moved much career wise in the last 20 years, so they're easy to spot) and ask if you can have the DVD, as I imagine of any social grouping Mail readers are the least likely to have DVD players anyway (many of them haven't forgiven the Japanese, you know, not by a long chalk...)

I know I promised I wouldn't rant about the Daily Mail any more, but I just couldn't stand by :(.

This week, all week, the beloved Sun are giving away Dr Who DVDs, starting today. I may have to put aside my principles to get one or two of the rarer ones.

Not sure if they are free in the paper, or whether it's a voucher redemption thing. Anyone else know? I won't get to the paper shop until lunchtime.

It's a voucher redemption affair , I'm afraid. Also , it's a bit of a con as each DVD only has 1 episode on it , which then encourages you to go out and buy the full DVD.

Here in Scotland , the Daily Record is giving away a Cracker DVD on Saturday.

Calling all Kung fu movie buffs...Music Junction are selling a load of Eastern Hero's dvds for £1.97 apiece. I got Fist from Shaolin which is yet another Wong Fei Hung movie, Shaolin Red Master, The Deadliest Art....Eagle's Claw, and Hitman in the Hand of Buddha which stars Hwang Jang Lee. Quite a few odds and sods of extras on these dvds too. After a check of my current collection I'm going back tomorrow for the ones I haven't got.
There's a load of Water Margin dvd's as well, sorry can't remember the price on those. Oh and the directors cut of Pink Floyd live at Pompeii for £5.95 8)

On May 7th , the Mail on Sunday will be giving away Under Suspicion , starring Gene Hackman and Morgan Freeman.

There are always stacks of giveaway CDs and DVDs at car boot sales for 10p each. Be patient, Grasshoppers.

Also, if you cultivate your local newsagent, you may be able to scrounge leftover ones as they aren't sent back with newspaper 'returns'. ;)

I was given three sets of six Carry On fillums last month that way. Hours of fun. :D

gerardwilkie said:
Today's Times is giving away a copy of Fritz Lang's Metropolis
I'd check the running time before buying it .The one to go for is the print from Eureka;)

It's the Eureka 118 min version, in b&w and with the original score by Gottfried Huppertz - woo hoo! :D

Thanks to gerardwilkie and WhistlingJack for the Metropolis shout. It is, as Jack says, the good Eureka print! They used to put out the atrocious Aikman-Archive version which had a bloated running time due to slow speed transfer. In fact it was missing a lot of scenes - and the titles! - which are present here. I think the retail Eureka package contains a commentary and other extras but meanwhile this Times freebie at least contains Chapter stops.

Just a mention here for a few previous Newspaper DVDs which may be worth hunting down at Oxfam.

Two contrasting pictures from 1985: the John Cleese comedy Clockwise was scripted by Michael Frayn. It bombed at the box-office, perhaps because it misfires as pure farce and there are more wry smiles than laugh-out-loud moments. The widescreen print is watchable enough, the sound is mono and the Britain of 1985 seems worlds away now.

The conspiracy thriller Defence of the Realm was essentially a superior tv movie. In this Kafkaesque nightmare with an old Fleet Street background. Denholm Elliot steals the show as a sozzled old reporter. As so often with British movies, the supporting actors give this a resonance it might otherwise lack.

Back to 1961 and Black & White for the Burnley-based childhood fantasy, Whistle Down the Wind. The movies of Bryan Forbes are a tad sweet for many but his debut here has some bite. When a convict takes refuge in a barn, a somewhat dysfunctional family of kids believe he is Jesus. It was an idea the Spanish director Erice took up in The Spirit of the Beehive a decade or so later - only the fugitive in his picture is taken to be the Frankenstein monster!

Finally The French Lieutenant's Woman, which dates from 1981, makes a very lavish middle-brow audience-pleaser. The rest of us may be convulsed by Meryl Streep and Jeremy Irons doing their kind of acting. Still, there is lots of Production Design to relish and the widescreen print is very pleasing. Surprisingly, perhaps, the soundtrack seems only ever to have been mono. A pity that the great romantic sweep of those opening shots should have been so ripped off by those horrible insurance ads. :shock:

Today's Sunday Times comes with a DVD of the Kate Winslet film Hideous Kinky :?

I was given the free version of Metropolis but my rats have run away with it. Confound those flimsy cardboard sleeves!

JamesWhitehead said:
The Invisible Man, 1958 ATV television series.

The "2 Movies in 1 Box" series from ILC Ltd is usually rubbish but this double-sider seems very good value and the prints are OK. I dimly recall this series - it was repeated for many years as a filler. All terribly British but with goodish effects - a splendid scene in the first episode has the Invisible Man unwrapping his bandages to show his hollow head to his niece! As is common, the makers don't seem to know what is on the discs and here claim there are twelve episodes. In fact there are just eight: episodes one to four on side one and episodes seven to ten on the flip side.

Page 67 of FT212 reveals that The Invisible Man has been released on DVD by Dark Sky Films - there doesn't seem to be much on offer for your £19.99, though (apart from all 13 episodes, of course) :?

The Invisible Man Season 1 DVD Collection

2-disc collection!

H.G. Wells’ classic tale of suspense and intrigue from the 1950s. A highly secret laboratory experiment that goes awry turns Dr. Peter Brady into the Invisible Man! Unable to return to a visible state, Brady is enlisted as the ultimate British secret agent.

For years, the identity of the Invisible Man was a well-kept secret. More than one actor portrayed the physical character, while another supplied the voice. The special effects (advanced for their time) ran the gamut from making objects float gracefully through the air to creating a riderless motorcycle.

The Invisible Man, Season 1 includes 13 remastered episodes.

Episode List:

• 1. Secret Experiment

2. Crisis in the Desert

3. Behind the Mask

4. Shadow on the Screen

5. The Mink Coat

6. The Locked Room

7. Jail Break

8. Blind Justice

9. Bank Raid

10.Strange Partners

11.Odds Against Death