• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
woke up with what I remembered as a school playground ditty in my head with nonsense words like

I don't care if it rains or freezes
As long as I got my plastic Jesus

Sittin' on the dashboard of my car

And could I shift it... I was trying, really trying, to recall where else I'd heard the tune. One of THOSE situations - I could not shift the ear-worm until I'd resolved the conundrum. Then I found it. No wonder I was baffled: I'd been expecting to find the song in English. It isn't. (It's the first in this medley set of South African popular songs; apparently it was a big hit in 1967 or thenabouts and the tune, rather than the words, broke through the apartheid-era sanctions. Well. It is catchy. Too catchy.)

Ons sing en speel!

Jy met jou mandolientjie,
ek met my bandolientjie,
sing ons die Oukraal liedjie saam.
Sing ons van waterstrome,
slange in olienhoutbome,

en `n ribbok wat daar teen die rantjie staan.

Tried to find a track a few years ago that had no lyrics but some whistling in it. I liked the whistling but Google is not as helpful as it likes to think. By luck heard the snippet a second time as background music on an episode of Top Gear. Naturally some-one had set up a site listing all the music used on Top Gear and from there I got to here (AIR):

woke up with what I remembered as a school playground ditty in my head with nonsense words like

I don't care if it rains or freezes
As long as I got my plastic Jesus

Sittin' on the dashboard of my car

And could I shift it... I was trying, really trying, to recall where else I'd heard the tune. One of THOSE situations - I could not shift the ear-worm until I'd resolved the conundrum. Then I found it. No wonder I was baffled: I'd been expecting to find the song in English. It isn't. (It's the first in this medley set of South African popular songs; apparently it was a big hit in 1967 or thenabouts and the tune, rather than the words, broke through the apartheid-era sanctions. Well. It is catchy. Too catchy.)

Ons sing en speel!

Jy met jou mandolientjie,
ek met my bandolientjie,
sing ons die Oukraal liedjie saam.
Sing ons van waterstrome,
slange in olienhoutbome,

en `n ribbok wat daar teen die rantjie staan.

Cool Hand Luke: Written By Lallo Schiffrin Ed Rush and George Cromarty in 1957

Sorry to go slightly off track. The song was nicked off Elton Morello and Plastic Bertrand took all the meaning out of the song. This pissed Captain Sensible off so much that he recorded his version of Elton Morello's song.

I still hate Plastic Bertrand to this day. As you were...

As an aside, I was introduced to the Belgian band Telex. Liked the a lot, even tracking down a copy of their vinyl album Looking For Saint Tropez. I says this because on it is a fantastic, slow version of Ca Plane Pour Moi.

I have a persistent ear-tapeworm. It strikes without warning and the symptoms last for MILLENIA

I'm talking, of course, about Club Tropicana drinks are freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

But don't worry, you can suntaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

I have a persistent ear-tapeworm. It strikes without warning and the symptoms last for MILLENIA

I'm talking, of course, about Club Tropicana drinks are freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

But don't worry, you can suntaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan
Christ .. I used to be co cafe cook with someone in a supermarket cafe, we sold Tropicana juice and he'd sometimes burst into that WHAM song to cheer himself up because he hated his job so that cheered both of us up. When he was even more pissed off than usual, he'd turn into Gene Wilder in Charlie & The Chocolate Factory so he'd sarcastically sing "Close your eyes and you'll find ... A storrrrre of pure imagination!".

He absolutely hated his job, he was my flatmate as well. He had a bad tooth at the time so the old women who made the sandwiches used to slip him their pain killers and I'd get him wasted on vodka by hiding a small bottle under the bags of chips in the freezer and we never got caught because management didn't know vodka doesn't freeze. He was the originator of calling this supermarket "The Fun Factory", a term staff still use today without ever even having met him.

So I'd have got him a bit pissed so we didn't lose our flat then he's go into this ..

I'd get him wasted on vodka by hiding a small bottle under the bags of chips in the freezer and we never got caught because management didn't know vodka doesn't freeze.

“Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker.”:cool2:
Haven't we all had that one job that required.....social lubrication to get through?

“Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker.”:cool2:
Haven't we all had that one job that required.....social lubrication to get through?
More than one job Aydee. He's now the father of a baby with a checkout girl and to his credit, he comes back to visit his daughter as often as possible and pays her way :cool:.. have you watched the newest 'Wonka' film yet btw? .. it's way better than it deserves to be. I'll pm you an illegal stream to watch it. The young man given the formidable job of trying to be as good as Wilder doesn't do a bad job of it.

I can gladly say that I don't know the song. And, no, don't wake me before you gogo:evillaugh:

Who doesn't hate Plastic Bertrand!?

I'll have that stuck in my head for the rest of the day, thanks so much :Givingup:

I was on an 8 hour flight on Tuesday ( I'm currently in Singapore) and during it I watched 2 Louie Theroux documentaries and one movie. Before each there was one ad for Heineken beer and what was the music to the advertisement? Bloody Plastic Bertrand!

I've had the theme from The Magnificent Seven going through my head all day - not that I'm complaining as it's frigging awesome. So it's time to get out the blu-ray, put my feet up and watch it for the first of several times this year.

Have it.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1707239788087.jpg
    FB_IMG_1707239788087.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 22
Someone got me this. It’s The Smile - so mostly Radiohead and Thom Yorke returning to a familiar theme of car crashes but this is slow motion and beautiful and off kilter and probably not even about car crashes at all. Anyway. It occupies a part of my head that thinks its been in there for decades already.

I've got something worse than a song stuck going around in my head. I've got next doors musical door bell stuck on repeat in my head.
Go over and ring it repeatedly.:evillaugh: Usually if I play a song that's stuck in my head, this will rid it. Or, if you are not caught, you might be lucky enough that they disconnect it.:)

Go over and ring it repeatedly.:evillaugh: Usually if I play a song that's stuck in my head, this will rid it. Or, if you are not caught, you might be lucky enough that they disconnect it.:)
I don't think my neighbour would be happy about it. He hates the doorbell. It was a Christmas present from his girlfriend.....

A guilty pleasure of mine.....

Back