• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Edvard Munch's "The Scream"

Justin_Anstey

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Did anyone see that BBC2 documentary on the evening of Sat. 8/12 called 'Private Life of a Masterpiece' about Edvard Munch's 1893 proto-expressionist painting 'Scream'?

The main influence on the idea seems to have been a real experience that he recorded in a diary in 1892,:

"I was walking along the road with two friends. The sun set. I felt a tinge of melancholy. Suddenly the sky became a bloody red.
I stopped, leaned against the railing, dead tired, and I looked at the flaming clouds that hung like blood and a sword over the blue-black fjord and the city.
My friends walked on. I stood there, trembling with fright. And I felt a loud, unending scream piercing nature."'

It sounds an awful lot like the stuff written about by Patrick Harpur in his 'The Landscape of Panic' article in FT141, (pg30), and the letters pages: FT144:52 and FT153:54.

-Justin.

:eek!!!!:

You're right, Justin. I wonder if Munch had an encounter with the
Great God Pan also?

Carole

Scream Painting Stolen At Gunpoint

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3588282.stm
Scream stolen from Norway museum
Armed robbers have stolen the iconic Edvard Munch painting, The Scream, from the Munch Museum in Norway.
The masked thieves pulled the work and another painting, Madonna, off the wall as stunned visitors watched.

One robber threatened museum staff with a gun before the gang escaped in a waiting car, museum staff told the BBC.

The painting was stolen a decade ago and was missing for three months before being recovered. Three Norwegians were arrested in connection with that theft.

Jorunn Christofferson, a press officer at the Munch Museum, told the BBC the museum was full of people when the robbers took the two paintings - frames and all - off the walls of the gallery.

Nobody was hurt and no shots were fired, she said.

She said the museum had closed-circuit television that would have captured the event on video, but that the thieves "were wearing black hoods, like bank robbers".

The Scream and The Madonna are among the two most valuable paintings in the museum collection, she said.
:eek!!!!:

Guns, black hoods? These don't exactly sound like how I would imagine "professional art thieves" to act.

But as I asked in this thread : Err, cool. You (or the person you stole it for) now have one of the handful of most instantly recognizable paintings on the planet. Whaddya DO with the frickin' thing??? Take it to a pawn shop? Hang it in your basement and not let anyone else see it? Attempt to sell it out of the trunk (boot) of your car? 'Cause auctioning it at Sothebys seems out of the question.

Motives...:confused:

Personally, I would've worn a 'Scream' mask to steal it.

But I don't se the point of these thefts, surely if you have that much money (that you can afford a 'steal to order' robbery), you can just have the best forger in the world make you a near exact copy, and leave the real one for everyone to enjoy?

You could alway try ransom: "Pay us N million dollars or we burn them one at a time." send clipping from the paintings to show you're serious

Munch did more than one version of "The Scream", didn't he? They could always exhibit one of the other ones until they get the stolen item back. It's been stolen before, too.

stealing the Scream is becoming an olympic tradition last time it was stolen was the winter olympics in Norway.

I'm rather taken with the image of someone pointing a gun at the pic itself :D

Crikey! I'll have to be quicker next time...
:)
Been planning to swipe the old scream for a while now. And I've been beaten to it by a bunch of amateurs! I had ticket number 44, if those thieves had number 43 then ok, but if they jumped the cue they'll be in serious trouble...
:D

Um ...

5pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stolen Scream was not insured

Staff and agencies
Monday August 23, 2004

The Scream, which was stolen from a gallery in the Norwegian capital, Oslo, by armed thieves yesterday, was not insured against theft because it was impossible to put a price on paintings by Edvard Munch, it emerged today.
A nationwide hunt was continuing after the masterpiece and another painting were ripped from the wall of Oslo's Munch museum as shocked visitors looked on.

Despite a large number of leads, police had not found the suspects 24 hours after the daylight raid at the museum. The theft has ignited a debate about security levels at art museums in Norway.

John Oeyaas, the managing director of Oslo Forsikring, a city-owned company that insures the paintings against damage, said the Scream was not insured.

The deputy culture minister, Yngve Slettholm, said yesterday's raid was Norway's first armed art theft. "We can only hope they [the paintings] end up back at the Munch museum," the minister said. "It can only be with horror that you react to something like this."

SOURCE: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/aug/23/education.arttheft

Last edited by a moderator:
Was this the inspiration?

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20040906/scream.html
Italian Mummy Source of 'The Scream'?
By Rossella Lorenzi, Discovery News

Sept. 7, 2004 — An Inca mummy kept in a Florentine museum might have been a source of inspiration for Edvard Munch's painting "The Scream," an Italian anthropologist claims.

Bearing a striking resemblance to Munch's now stolen painting, the mummy was rediscovered as Florence's Museum of Natural History began to carry out scientific investigations such as CT scans on its collection of Peruvian mummies.

"It"s the strong resemblance that struck us. Basically, the images of the 'The Scream' and the mummy can be overlapped," Piero Mannucci of Florence University told Discovery News.

The idea that Edvard Munch got his inspiration for "The Scream" from a Peruvian mummy is not new.

Already in 1978, in the exhibition catalogue "Symbols and Images of Edvard Munch," National Gallery of Art, Washington, the renowned Munch scholar Robert Rosenblum, professor of modern European art at New York University, suggested a possible link with an Inca mummy now kept at the Musée de l'Homme in Paris.

According to Rosenblum, Munch and Paul Gauguin had seen that mummy at the 1889 Trocadero exposition in Paris.

"The connection between Gauguin and Munch in Paris certainly indicates their common enthusiasm for such grotesque objects, especially appropriate to 'The Scream,'" Rosenblum told Discovery News.

Indeed, Gaugin's depiction of The Wine Harvest at Arles and several other works reflected the Parisian mummy's contorted pose, according to many scholars.

But according to Mannucci, the Paris mummy does not bear the same striking resemblance with the painting as does the Inca mummy kept in Florence's museum.

"The mummy in Paris has the fists closed on the cheeks, while our mummy has the hands open and placed on the each side of the face, just like the figure in 'The Scream,'" Mannucci said.

Apart from the strong resemblance, there isn't definitive evidence to support Mannucci's claim at present.

"It is a hypothesis based on conjectures, not really supported by documents. But we cannot ignore this great resemblance and the historical period in which the mummy came to Florence," Monica Zavattaro, curator of the museum's anthropological and ethnological department, told Discovery News.

The mummy arrived in Florence in 1883, 10 years before Munch created the first copy of "The Scream" in 1893. It was discovered a year earlier in the Peruvian Andes by an Italian doctor, Oscar Perrone.

Analysis has shown that it is the mummy of a 1.62-meter-tall man (5.3 feet) who was shot in the back in the mid 16th century.

"Documents tell us that Munch came to Fiesole, a village near Florence, in 1899. But he could as well have come to the city earlier on a private visit, invited by the physiologist and anthropologist Paolo Mantegazza, at that time director of the museum," Mannucci said.

The founder of the Italian Anthropological Society, which at that time also acted as an intellectual circle, Mantegazza had visited Norway on trip for his anthropological studies.

"It is very possible that Mantegazza and Munch, both Jewish, knew each other. I'm looking into Mantegazza's huge collection of writings to find a note mentioning a meeting between the two," Mannucci said.

He plans to discuss his findings in time for a meeting on ancient Peru planned to take place in Florence next year.

Rosenblum believes that it is very likely Munch would have not ignored the contorted poses of Peruvian mummies and their expression of despair.

"I know nothing about the Florence mummy, but I suspect there are many examples of Peruvian mummies in anthropological collection. In any case, I find it an absolutely central source for Munch's now stolen painting," Rosenblum told Discovery News.

It's happened again!

Three More Munch Works Stolen After 'The Scream'
By Alister Doyle

OSLO (Reuters) - Thieves stole three minor works by Norwegian artist Edvard Munch from a hotel in southern Norway, adding to a list of missing art topped by his masterpiece "The Scream," police said on Monday.

Armed with a crowbar, two men broke into the Refsnes Gods hotel and ripped a 1915 Munch watercolor, "Blue Dress," from the wall along with two lithographs -- a self-portrait and a portrait of Swedish playwright and novelist August Strindberg.

The thieves ran off after a hotel receptionist surprised the two late on Sunday night. "Blue Dress," depicting a blonde woman, had been hanging in the hotel restaurant, which had just shut with the alarm not yet turned on.

"The biggest loss is 'Blue Dress'," hotel owner Widar Salbuvik told Reuters. He said the thieves seemed amateurish and that the three pictures were not among the most valuable in the collection of 400 works ranging from Munch to Andy Warhol.

"We are seeking more witnesses," police spokesman Paul Horne said. Police were hunting two dark-haired men in their early 20s.

The theft means that five Munch works are now missing after gunmen stole "The Scream," showing a terrified waif-like figure under a blood-red sky, and "Madonna" from Oslo's Munch Museum in front of dozens of tourists on August 22.

Police said it was too early to speculate about whether there was a link between the thefts. Art experts said the works stolen on Sunday were minor by comparison with "The Scream."

NO NATIONAL CATASTROPHE

"This is not a national catastrophe," Knut Forsberg, managing director of Blomqvist art auctioneers in Oslo, told Reuters.

He estimated that "Blue Dress" was worth perhaps one million crowns ($160,800), the Munch self-portrait about 300,000 crowns and the portrait of Strindberg up to about 200,000 crowns.

Other experts have estimated "The Scream" might be worth $75 million if it could be sold legally at auction while "Madonna," showing a raven-haired woman, might fetch $15 million.

"The Scream" has become a symbol of angst in a world scarred by horrors including the Holocaust, the atom bomb and terrorism. Munch painted four versions of his most famous work -- another was stolen for several months in 1994 but recovered in a sting operation by police posing as U.S. buyers.

Police do not know the fate of the stolen "The Scream."

Theories include that the theft was ordered by a shadowy foreign collector, that the robbers aim to demand ransom from the government or simply that a Norwegian crime gang wanted to show off its power with the brazen daylight robbery.

Munch lived from 1863 to 1944. The head of the Munch Museum, Gunnar Soerensen, said he produced about 1,700 paintings during his lifetime and perhaps 30,000 graphic works. ($1=6.219 Norwegian Crown)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...&e=18&u=/nm/20050307/ts_nm/crime_art_munch_dc

Just seen a headline that they've found the latest three. :D

Norway Police Question Man on Munch Theft

OSLO, Norway - A suspect in the brazen daytime theft of two Edward Munch masterpieces was being questioned over the weekend, and police said they were hopeful more arrests would follow.

The 37-year-old man, who has not been identified, was arrested Friday in Oslo. He is suspected of involvement in the raid of the Munch Museum in Oslo in August, where three armed and masked robbers escaped with "The Scream" and "Madonna."

Police prosecutor Morten Hojem Ervik declined to say how the man might have been involved, but the Norwegian newspaper Verdens Gang reported that police believe the suspect supplied the getaway car.

"Is this a breakthrough? As long as (the paintings) are still out there, you can debate whether it's a breakthrough or not," Hojem Ervik said. "But at least it brings the investigation one step further." The paintings, which are among Munch's best-known, were stolen on Aug. 22. "The Scream," a 20th-century icon that depicts an anguished figure who appears to be screaming or shielding his ears from a scream, is too well known for the thieves to try to sell, experts say.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050410/ap_en_ot/norway_munch_theft[/quote]

:(

Munch masterpieces destroyed?

The Munch masterpieces "The Scream" and "Madonna" have been incinerated, according to newspaper Dagbladet, citing criminal sources and a top secret police report.

The paper claimed Thursday that the paintings were destroyed in order to get rid of damning evidence as the police investigation closes in on the culprits behind the robbery.

Investigation leader Iver Stensrud of the Oslo police said he had no knowledge of the supposedly secret report acknowledging the destruction of the paintings.

"This is completely unknown to Oslo police. I basically have no comment and normally we do not use Dagbladet as a reliable source here at the Oslo police," Stensrud told NRK (Norwegian Broadcasting).

Three people are in custody in connection with the Munch robbery, but none of them are linked to crime via technical evidence, and the pair that carried out the heist are considered to be at large.

Dagbladet cited both criminal and police sources in their reportage, and said that police expect new arrests in the case shortly.

Source

Utter, utter bastards. I'm a big admirer of Munch's works, this is a huge loss, they aren't going to be re-painted...

That's one way to get people to stop looking for it!
I'm quite confident it now safely resides in Dr No's undersea lair.

(Weren't there multiple versions of this work? Talk about shell games.)

As an aside, I noticed that in the 5/2005 "Wired" magazine, in the display advertising in the back, a simple black and white advertizement for a firm that specialized in stolen art recovery. That would be an interesting story.

[edit]
semi-OT, plz skip over unless you're looking for the story on the ad I mentioned above.

from "Business Week" -- aparently this art recovery firm ad was a lead-in to an Audi alternate reality game marketing campaign. There is no A-team.
http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnf ... _db016.htm
MAY 16, 2005

NEWS ANALYSIS
By David Kiley

A New Kind of Car Chase

Audi's fictitious multimedia auto-theft drama has sucked the public into the "alternate reality branding" campaign for its new A3
In September, when Audi of America and ad agency McKinney & Silver started planning the spring 2005 launch of its new A3 model, no one in the room imagined how unusual a campaign would result.

It began with a staged car theft at a New York City Audi dealership. Then, much to the confusion of event organizers, Audi posted handbills seeking information about the theft at the New York International Auto Show last March. That beginning, as intriguing as the start of a John Grisham novel, was then augmented by ads -- placed in major magazines, blogs, and streaming video -- featuring fictional people purporting to capture moments of the whodunit tale. It was all done in the name of generating chatter about Audi.

RISKY AND UNTRIED. Actors from this cyberspace/terrestrial play have shown up at a major musical festival and will be in character when they stage fights, thefts, or escapes -- it's hard to know -- in Los Angeles at the E3 Expo show (May 18 to 20) for the interactive media industry. The whole marketing campaign has included so many risky and untried elements that Audi had to employ a full-time lawyer as part of the ad team.

Audi's approach to launching A3 is so unorthodox, it's little wonder that executives involved call it "alternate reality branding." Such marketing campaigns combine aspects of real events, fiction, online video, blogs, journalism, and, finally, even some conventional print and TV ads. They create a unique form of branded entertainment that skates across multiple media platforms and live events to attract young consumers who have all but turned their backs on 30-second TV spots and static Internet banners and print ads.

The model for this new type of advertising came from a burgeoning online pastime called alternate reality gaming, or ARG, which blends factual events with the imaginings of game creators. Tens of thousands of computer geeks play every week.

The effect of such ARG ad campaigns on consumers: Many reached by a piece of the drama have no idea whether they are seeing advertising or some sliver of real life. But according to Lee Newman, a McKinney & Silver group account director, even consumers who zap 100% of ads at home usually won't mind finding out later that the campaign is advertising -- as long as they find it engaging and creative.

"People don't hate advertising. They hate advertising that is bad or irrelevant," he says. Hitting consumers on the head or grabbing their attention for 30 seconds is out. "Engaging consumers so they follow your brand is the new holy grail," says Brad Brinegar, CEO of McKinney & Silver, which is based in Durham, N.C.

ZEALOUS FOLLOWERS. The beginning of the campaign couldn't have been more unlikely. On Mar. 31 an actor Audi hired to play the role of Ian Yarbrough, a computer hacker and partner in a company that recovers lost and stolen art, sees that a notorious art thief has stolen an A3 from a Manhattan dealership. Ian needs the computer files stashed in the stolen A3, which he tracks to a New Jersey chop shop. Circumstances force him to steal the car back from the thieves. The midtown dealership from which the car had been stolen turns into a "real life" crime scene complete with police tape, a smashed glass door, and security officers standing guard.

Some New York City gamers even showed up at the dealership to check out the scene. Posters seeking information about the stolen car went up at the dealership and the New York Auto Show and in wild postings (handbills stuck on walls in high-traffic areas) in 10 cities. Ian then went on the run, with police mistaking him for the original thief. Actual ads for Lastresortretrieval.com, Ian, and his partner Nisha's fictitious company, appeared in the back of May issues of Wired, Esquire, Robb Report, and USA Today. They looked like real ads for real companies specializing in art recovery.

McKinney & Silver spokesman Janet Northen says a journalist from a major magazine sent an e-mail through an advertised Web site hoping to speak to Ian or Nisha as a source for a story. "We e-mailed him back saying they were unreachable and out of the country, which seemed like the best response," says Northen.

SPREADING THE TALE. After that, the story starts to get as confusing as an episode of Fox's 24, especially if you've missed the first few episodes of a season. Nisha gets herself hired by Audi to recover the car, though the company doesn't know her associate Ian is the suspect. The story goes on from there, with the actors advancing the "real life" plot. Story followers can tap into e-mails, security films viewable on the Net, and blogs that the characters use to communicate within the story. As of May 9, the campaign story, the "Art of the Heist," had acquired more than 125,000 followers on various Web sites including StolenA3.com, Lastresortretrieval.com, and Virgilkingofcode.com -- all created by Audi to support the game.

Fans have also launched Web sites, such as Smirkbox.com and Argn.com, that enable devotees to follow the action. The fan sites are a necessity for anyone who wants to delve into the story. Car-enthusiast sites, such as VWVortex.com, have followed the story as well. "Connecting the auto people with the gaming people was a huge bonus," says McKinney's Newman.

The online play eventually made it to Coachella, the Indio (Calif.) music festival held on May 1. There, Ian and Nisha showed up in character, intending to incorporate a handful of real online gamers to play a part in the unfolding story that crosses between cyberspace and real life. One problem: The real gamers arrived hours earlier than expected, skirted security around the Audi tent, and forced Chelsea Films, the producer of the online video for the story, to change the script on the spot and even incorporate some of its own production people in the story.

GIVING UP CONTROL. That level of unpredictability and spontaneity is precisely what draws the ARG crowd to a campaign like this. The day after Coachella, blogs were dominated by chatter about how the gamers invited into the story messed up the script. At the E3 show on May 18, a VH-1 interviewer is expected to interview another of the story's characters, Virgil, without giving up his fictional status.

Starting the week of Apr. 26, Audi finally began running TV ads to promote the A3, but the ads directly tied into the game. The camera panned all around the inside and outside of the car, showing off its most desirable qualities, such as an especially large sunroof. But the slate of copy on the screen instructed: "If you have any information regarding the location of a stolen 2006 A3 with VIN#: WAUZZZ8P65A045963," you should report it on the Audiusa.com/a3 Web site. Audi tagged print ads with the same plea for info. The team devised the ads to make sense without being part of the game, but gamers understood the ads in a different context.

Audi of America executives say they aren't accustomed to giving up so much control over the marketing of a new vehicle. Marketers usually employ highly planned, expensively produced commercials, and buy time on specific shows to run them. A campaign like "Art of the Heist" is more like lighting a fire in a dry wood and waiting to see what happens.

WILL THEY BUY? "Audi is not a fear-based brand," says Stephen Berkov, the director of advertising. He compares a campaign like "Art of the Heist" to a jet engine turned on its end, "sucking people into the intake." Although he declined to disclose his ad budget for launching the A3, it probably totals $15 million to $20 million, of which about $3 million to $4 million will go to "Heist." Audi will dedicate the rest to traditional TV and print buys.

Still, in constructing an elaborate "alternate reality" game, Audi is risking that few of the people following the action will care about the A3. Are there many potential A3 buyers in this group? "Probably," says McKinney's group creative director, Jonathan Cude. That's a far cry from the usual certainty advertisers look for when spending tens of millions of dollars to launch a new vehicle. The target market for the A3 are men from the ages of 25 to 34, college-educated, and earning an average of $125,000 a year.

Nonetheless, even if the early gamers drawn into "Heist" don't buy a car this year, Cude says, Audi believes in the importance of letting prospective customers know that the company is doing something cool and highly advanced -- not the same old ad campaign.

BUZZ IS EVERYTHING. Some consumers clearly like the approach, and others don't. An Atlanta ARG player, using the screen name Argitect, posted on the Argn.com site: "It grabbed my attention in the beginning and, over the weekend, it reeled me in." Another poster, who had initially believed he was navigating a real car-theft story, wrote the following after catching on to the marketing gimmick: "This is about the worst idea in the history of bad marketing ideas. It's up there with the tobacco execs saying cigarettes aren't addictive." A responder named Cookster fired back, "Two words buddy: Lighten Up... Now get back in bed, and you can reminisce about the good old days when adverts only used to appear on the telly."

Experts in so-called "buzz marketing," designed to create word of mouth, say campaigns like Audi's "Art of the Heist" represent the future and can surpass traditional ads in regard to maintaining consumer brand-interest. "If I can involve one person really deeply in my brand in 50 cities, vs. 50 people in one city, I'll take the former every time," says Mark Hughes, author of Buzzmarketing: Get People to Talk About Your Stuff (Portfolio, 2005). Jon Berry of research company Nop World, and author of The Influentials (Free Press, 2004), argues that word of mouth is worth more than twice what it was in the 1970s in affecting consumer purchases, and it's 150% more influential than newspaper and magazine advertising or articles.

Absolute truth in advertising, it seems, does not always make for the most effective strategy.

IF it was destroyed, the robbers deserves lifetime in jail.

As a related idea, in the Jeremy Brett version of Conan-Doyle's The Final Problem, Moriarty has had the Mona Lisa stolen and has employed the best forgers to paint about a dozen copies. The copies he sells to disreputable collectors, each given the impression that they have the stolen original!
Now, Munch seems to be the object of a really serious collector. When the question is asked "Why steal them? They're unsellable.", the answer is that a collector - a really compulsive collector - doesn't want the works to sell or show off to his friends and neighbours. It's the possession that counts!

My sister just sent me this (our family is from Bremen and she was born there):

Hidden Munch painting uncovered
Last Updated Fri, 03 Jun 2005 17:45:11 EDT
CBC Arts

A previously unknown painting by Norway's Edvard Munch has been discovered at a gallery in the German city of Bremen.

The painting shows three stylized, mask-like faces floating above a naked woman, who is sitting on a chair.
'Girl and Three Men's Heads' (AP photo)

Dubbed Girl and Three Men's Heads by gallery officials, the painting was found underneath another work by Munch, The Dead Mother.

Both canvases were stretched out on the same frame.

The hidden painting was discovered when restoration work was being done, Kunsthalle director Wulf Herzogenrath said Friday.

The museum believes the painting dates to 1898. It is, according to Herzogenrath, "priceless."

Munch's name has been in the news because of the theft last summer of a version of his iconic work, The Scream.

* RELATED STORY: Oslo offers reward for help finding 'The Scream'

Thieves staged a daring daylight robbery in Oslo, seizing the painting, as well as Munch's Madonna. Authorities have made four arrests in recent months, seemingly closing in on the perpetrators.

Although Girl and Three Men's Heads is not signed by Munch, the gallery says art experts are convinced that it was produced by the Norwegian painter. They think it was painted just days before he put the second canvas on top of it.

Barbara Nierhoff, a German art historian, told the Associated Press that the artist may have stretched two canvases over the same frame simply because Munch, who lived in Germany as well as his home country, ran out of frames.

Also Friday, news broke that a painting by the 17th-century French master Georges de La Tour has been discovered in Spain.

The painting, Saint Jerome Reading a Letter, was found hanging on the wall of Madrid's Cervantes Institute. It's not known how it got there, but it has apparently been on display for decades.

It depicts an elderly and bearded Saint Jerome with a red cloak using reading glasses to examine a letter.

Copyright ©2005 Canadian Broadcasting Corporation - All Rights Reserved

Source (includes photo)

On tonight: -

Art Crime 7:10 - 8:00pm, 2:55 - 4:00am BBC4

The Scream

The story of one of the most audacious art thefts of all time. After Edvard Munch's The Scream was stolen from Norway's National Gallery in 1994, top undercover cop Charley Hill posed as a representative of the Getty Museum to recover the painting. The thieves were arrested and convicted but later freed on a technicality - Hill's evidence was ruled inadmissible because he had entered Norway on a false passport.

It was fairly recently discovered that the face in Edvard Munch's "The Scream" is an EXACT reproduction of the face of a Peruvian mummy the artist had seen exhibited in Italy some time previous.

The mummy apparently still exists and a photograph of its distorted visage and Munch's "Scream" face were published side-by-side, for comparison, a year or two back.

OldTimeRadio said:
Max, it was fairly recently discovered that the face in Edvard Munch's "The Scream" is an EXACT reproduction of the face of a Peruvian mummy the artist had seen exhibited in Italy some time previous.

The mummy apparently still exists and a photograph of its distorted visage and Munch's "Scream" face were published side-by-side, for comparison, a year or two back.

Wow, I'd like to see that photo. Am at work and haven't got much time to browse, will try but if I can't find it, has someone got a link?

Can only find a link of what Old Time Radio said about Munch getting the idea from a Peruvian mummy or a picture of the scream.

mirabilis.ca/archives/002138.html
Link is dead. Here's the content of the MIA webpage:

Italian Mummy Source of ‘The Scream’?

From discovery.com: Italian Mummy Source of ‘The Scream’?.

An Inca mummy kept in a Florentine museum might have been a source of inspiration for Edvard Munch's painting "The Scream," an Italian anthropologist claims.
Bearing a striking resemblance to Munch's now stolen painting, the mummy was rediscovered as Florence's Museum of Natural History began to carry out scientific investigations such as CT scans on its collection of Peruvian mummies.
"It"s the strong resemblance that struck us. Basically, the images of the 'The Scream' and the mummy can be overlapped," Piero Mannucci of Florence University told Discovery News.
The idea that Edvard Munch got his inspiration for "The Scream" from a Peruvian mummy is not new.
Already in 1978, in the exhibition catalogue "Symbols and Images of Edvard Munch," National Gallery of Art, Washington, the renowned Munch scholar Robert Rosenblum, professor of modern European art at New York University, suggested a possible link with an Inca mummy now kept at the Musée de l'Homme in Paris.
According to Rosenblum, Munch and Paul Gauguin had seen that mummy at the 1889 Trocadero exposition in Paris.
SALVAGED FROM THE WAYBACK MACHINE:
https://web.archive.org/web/20071023061419/http://mirabilis.ca/archives/002138.html

Back