• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
That sounds similar to this idea -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeoacoustics

Prior to the establishment of archaeoacoustics as a formal area of study, the possibility of unintentionally recorded sound contained in ancient artifacts held great interest for some theorists. Phonograph cylinders store sound as engravings in the surface of the cylinder, which can be played back by a phonograph with the proper settings. It was hypothesized that this process could have been accidentally replicated during the creation of a ceramic pot or vase, and that such artifacts could be sonified to recover the sounds contained within the elastic medium.

Interestingly, although much of that wiki page is about acoustic properties of spaces both natural & man-made. it actually mentions a David E H Jones who in his 1982 book quotes one Richard G Woodbridge lll who

described his experiments with making clay pots and oil paintings from which sound could then be replayed, using a conventional record player cartridge connected directly to a set of headphones. He claimed to have extracted the hum of the potter's wheel from the grooves of a pot, and the word "blue" from an analysis of patch of blue colour in a painting.

It’s under the heading ‘Discredited Theories’

Just for the record I have no idea if Stone Tape theory is true or not (I remember hearing about it on the old Nationwide TV show when i was a kid)

Back