• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Factoids & False Assumptions (Discursive Article)

. . . . and how many kilograms of water does it REALLY take to produce a kilogram of beef? I've heard, from numerous vegetarian and vegan sources, fifty, five hundred, fifteen hundred . . . . and the number seems to get bigger every time I hear or read it. And the equivalents in gallons and pounds . . . . Surely the real answer must be available somewhere?
Who cares when you live in a country where the stuff falls out of the sky nearly every day?

Similarly, in Welsh, the famous (made up) longest pace name, Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch...

I think you'll find that all places names are made up!

I know what you mean, though.

. . . . and how many kilograms of water does it REALLY take to produce a kilogram of beef? I've heard, from numerous vegetarian and vegan sources, fifty, five hundred, fifteen hundred . . . . and the number seems to get bigger every time I hear or read it. And the equivalents in gallons and pounds . . . . Surely the real answer must be available somewhere?
Cows are really big animals. I've not worked with beef cattle, but dairy cows drink a LOT (they are using fluid to make milk so it may not be an accurate comparison). So the animal would be drinking the same amount of water, even if we weren't subsequently to kill it for beef.

Horses also drink a lot of water, particularly if they've been working hard (once they've cooled down of course). So should we also produce a chart to show how much water equals a round of show jumping?

Back