• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fairies, Pixies, Elves, Sprites & Other Little Folk

...but this isn't just about monetisation, it's about people believing Erwin is a real person...
[edited for clarity +typos]
No, it isn't just about monetisation, but that was the specific aspect of your earlier post that I was responding to.

For comparison on your broader point: Uri Geller is highly successful, clearly is in it for the money and fame like many other entertainers, and is widely regarded either as a fraud — or as someone who has failed to prove that he isn't — and yet he retains a substantial base of believers.

All in all, I find that I suspend any disbelief while I'm watching these two Gentlemen. It is only later, once the fillum has stopped, that I start rationalising.

That 'Wurm' was a rather top job though - its ambulation and the teasing glimpses of it can really make a person question what they are seeing.

And I think, rather than decide whether these exist or not...Let's congratulate Erwin...and Tom, for bringing something that is rather delightful into our lives.

All in all, I find that I suspend any disbelief while I'm watching these two Gentlemen. It is only later, once the fillum has stopped, that I start rationalising.

That 'Wurm' was a rather top job though - its ambulation and the teasing glimpses of it can really make a person question what they are seeing.

And I think, rather than decide whether these exist or not...Let's congratulate Erwin...and Tom, for bringing something that is rather delightful into our lives.
Yes, I think their CGI skills are improving, definitely.

I never believed the Morsu were real, they always looked CGI. The mystery, before Erwin's two year hiatus, was, for me, what was he trying to achieve? Until the Fortean Times article, his Chanel garnered few views. The article seems to have given him a nudge and now he's cashing in. Very entertaining though!

There are fairy road signs for sale on Etsy and elsewhere. :)

Fairy flight path.jpg

fairy and unicorn signs.jpg

fairy sign.jpg

I never believed the Morsu were real, they always looked CGI. The mystery, before Erwin's two year hiatus, was, for me, what was he trying to achieve? Until the Fortean Times article, his Chanel garnered few views. The article seems to have given him a nudge and now he's cashing in. Very entertaining though!
This video reveal some of his background and real name.

i got about 2mins in and gave up! terrible but sort of interesting that it exists?

Last edited:
Back 1980 i collected the Unexplained partwork. I never hot al of the m and some i lost. I recall an account on the letters page from a guy who said he and his sister saw three pixies, 'the ugliest things you ever saw' emerge from under his bed. I think he said they tried to drag him under the bed if memory serves. Anyhow i recently brought the whole run for the princely sum of £50. However they were in binders and the individual magazines had their covers removed. As the letters page was on the inside back cover i'm still missing that story. Has anybody got the issue with it in? If so could they reproduce the letter here?

I've been reticent about sharing this. But what else is this forum for? I'm quite materialistic, becoming more so as time goes on. I've been reading for years how asking whatever house elves one chooses to return lost objects elicits results. While I've found the consistency of those accounts interesting, I've always known there are other explanations to account for missing objects happening to turn up after genii are asked to provide them, including that the teller of the story is being creative with the truth to make it sound more in line with how weird they feel it is rather than how weird it really is. What I'm saying is, I know there are all kinds of explanations for this, and it's just anecdotal, but this is the fortean forums.

So, my brother does my gardening because of my parkinsons, and also I've always hated gardening and he likes it. We have a workshop at the end of the garden which houses our gardening tools, the key to which lives in a cupboard in the kitchen with all the other keys next to the back door. My brother has on occasion put away the tools and left the key in his pocket and taken it home, so he's got in the habit of checking the key is in the cupboard before leaving.

A few days ago, he planted a rose in the garden. That's the last time we could remember the key would have been used. Three days ago, he was visiting and we discussed some tiles that needed replacing in the kitchen, so we went for the workshop key to see if we still had matching spare tiles in the workshop. The key wasn't there!

So we turned the place upside down. No key, but then there was no reason he would finish the gardening and put the key anywhere other than the cupboard. If it had fallen from his pocket, he'd likely have heard it hit the path. He said not to worry, it could only be at his house, and he'd find it. So, for the next couple of days, two houses and his car were being scoured for this key.

Today, he rang and said he'd be here shortly, to take the brown bin out to the front driveway, tip it up and see if the key was in there. For those not aware, the brown bin is a wheelie bin used for garden waste, which I think the council takes away for composting. His only thought was that the key had fallen from his pocket into some prunings and been deposited in the bin. It was clear that, as we'd previously discussed, as a last resort the next step would be to unscrew the hinges of the workshop door to buy a new lock. So, I made a choice before he arrived.

Interested as I am in folklore, I've read many times accounts of people finding their lost items by asking the fairies. I've always resisted trying it myself. I didn't resist this time. I stood in the dining room and said aloud, 'Boggarts of the house, if you know where our missing key is, could you please leave it somewhere we'll come across it? Thank you!' I didn't expect it to work. I don't know whether it was an experiment or an act of desperation. I wouldn't be posting here had the key not turned up within minutes.

So, my brother and sister-in-law arrived, and we rolled the bin out to the front driveway. My brother turned it upside down without anything spilling out. My sister-in-law watched him, and as she saw the top of the bin hit the ground, she also saw the key, sitting in a crack in the concrete that we've all been walking over for the last couple of days.

I don't present this as evidence of anything, obviously. I don't know how the key ended up there. There are a few possibilities, all of which are unlikely, all of which are more likely than fairies exist. I don't know how many people have called on their resident spirits to produce lost objects and it simply hasn't worked, so they haven't had an anecdote to provide. All I know is I've tried it once, and that when I took that key back to the cupboard in which it usually resides, I said, 'Thank you, boggarts of the house.'

One thing that puzzles me. What about the Fairie Folk's traditional aversion to iron? How do they manage to manipulate iron and steel objects?

I think that I've recounted this before, but, My Grandma on my Mums side (The daughter of Annie Foulkes - born and reared in 19th century Wales), would always leave a saucer of milk out in the kitchen every night.

When us kids would ask about it, we were told it was for the hedgehogs.

To get back to the subject matter, I was brought up in a house where we would look at the ceiling and ask for the item to be put back...please. It was an odd occurence if the object didn't turn up afterwards.

I still do it.

Mungoman my Grandma used to put out milk in a tin dish and I was told it was for the bluetongued lizards.
I'm wondering now if it was for something else.
It does make you think, doesn't it Iris, plus the fact that GrandMa Alice always locked the house up before bed - so how were the hedgehogs expected to avail themselves of the milk?

She also covered the cutlery and mirrors during a thunderstorm, and had a dicky fit (as it were called in our 'ouse), if cutlery on the table was crossed.

...She... had a dicky fit (as it were called in our 'ouse), if cutlery on the table was crossed.
Goodness me that takes me back. My mum was like that when I was little too but i don't think she is superstitious - the people who raised her though, are a different matter. Her grandmother was a midwife (an unofficial one) and she used to do spells with the carbon on badly burnt toast. I asked her what spells but my mum was a scared little girl at the time and she doesn't know what her grandmother said.

Goodness me that takes me back. My mum was like that when I was little too but i don't think she is superstitious - the people who raised her though, are a different matter. Her grandmother was a midwife (an unofficial one) and she used to do spells with the carbon on badly burnt toast. I asked her what spells but my mum was a scared little girl at the time and she doesn't know what her grandmother said.
They were more connected to that aspect of life in those days.

Does anyone cross silver (their money) over on a full moon from pocket to pocket, say white rabbits three times on waking at the first of the month, and then there's asking the fey to please put it back if we can't find summat.

I have been known to read tea leaves (not mine) just for a lark, and if we drop cutlery it means we're having visitors A spoon for female and a fork for a male.

Dropping a knife is someone being vexatious - either male or female.

Does any body else have these sort of mannerisms involving the Good People?

Back