• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fairies, Pixies, Elves, Sprites & Other Little Folk

Re: Little People

DancingQueen said:
I hope this subject hasn't already been discussed in detail. If so, forgive me, I am something of a newbie :goof:. I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with the "little people", fairies and the like? Nuts as it may sound, I have and would love to hear from anyone else who's willing to share :)
In our culture, we refer to them as "the fine folk" or "nature spirits". As Confucius advised, we give them due respect but also a very wide berth!

Oh thanks a lot Bannik, that should take care of my next free hour or so :D (I'm in my office - got in Extremely Early today. Nobody around yet, eerily quiet, perfect for Fortean pastimes...)

Oh, I just typed a big long post about my lil people experiences and I got a "website not responding" message. Now it's gone! Arrrgh!! :furious: Anyway thanks for asking ginoide, they will be coming along (again!) shortly...

Okay, here're some of my stories:

Alrighty, two of my favorite happenings both took place in 1997, when I was 18. One night I was sitting on my bed reading a book, when I saw something on the ceiling out of the corner of my eye. I looked up and saw (in great surprise) a shadowy little being with bat-like wings flutter across my room. I got a pretty good long look at it before it sort of "dissolved". It seemed to have wings that were not separate from its arms (as a real bat), instead of the way fairies are usually depicted. This is to date one of the coolest things I have ever witnessed.

In September of that same year, I was taking a bath and saw a tiny light flashing in the plant sitting on the back of toilet. It looked like a firefly, but a different color- more white than yellowish. Needless to say, I grabbed a towel and jumped out of the tub to inspect. There was no bug there, of course- it being early fall :eek!!!!: ! I later read that supposedly little people are attracted to houses with many plants in them, which definitely describes my home (it's got more plants than a jungle).

If anybody else is really interested in this topic I would highly recommend "Enchantment of the Faerie Realm" by Ted Andrews. It's a great little book.

I have a few other tales I could tell, but they're not as interesting. Except the one where my sisters and I SWEAR we met a very polite ogre. Really! And it wasn't Shrek!! :blah:

Here’s my late mother’s encounter with “little people”-

This was when she was still single and living in her dad’s grand villa which was set on a hill and couple acres of rolling lawns, complete with a fish/lotus pond, fruit trees, orchid house. Her mother was an invalid so she had to take charge of housekeeping including the upkeep of a small vegetable garden at the far end of the estate. There were a couple of gardeners who keep the lawns mowed and plants watered. Only, they absolutely refused to prune a huge tree growing by the vegetable plot. So the tree and its surroundings grew more and more unkempt. Mother insisted the gardeners go clean up the area.

“Oh no, miss, we do not dare to,” was the quick reply. The reason why took a lot longer to drag out.

It turned out that every afternoon about 4 p.m., there would appear a small boy on one of the tree branches. There was one particular branch which drooped quite low. This little boy would walked down the sloping branch, hang himself upside down and swing – like in the circus trapeze. After playing he would walk up the branch and disappear. “It’s a nature spirit, miss, and it likes to play on the tree. Don’t mess with it, something nasty could happen!” the gardener said.

Now, Mother was a very practical type and decided to check it out herself. One fine afternoon, she hid herself behind a shrub and sure enough as the sun got lower in the sky, a very pale little boy, about 3 or 4 feet tall, appeared on one of the tree branches He appeared to be naked with long black hair. But his features could not discerned clearly. The whole figure appeared to be hazy, like looking through a mist. And sure enough, he sauntered down the branch, hang himself upside down and began to swing! Then after about 5 minutes or so, apparently tired of the game, he righted himself, walked up the branch and then he couldn’t be seen anymore.

Was Mother scared? No! She stomped off home, grabbed hold of a sharp axe, went and chopped off the offending branch. Then she called in the two cowardly gardeners, “There, that thing shouldn’t bother you anymore. I want the branch cleared and the grass cut by this evening!”

Now Honourable Readers, you must be all agog to learn what misfortune then befell Mother.

Err, nothing.

Her invalid mother died as expected. Her rich father remarried, to his late wife’s best friend. My mother met my father, the doctor’s son next door, when he came to inspect the drain bordering their families’ respective properties, and it was the wedding of the year…

To update, the estate was sold by my uncles in the 1980s, the villa pulled down and the area is now completely built up with a school, rows of houses and shops.

My father used to say, whatever nature spirits remaining up and left for deeper jungle long ago, starting from when my mother vandalised their playground!

DancingQueen's post reminded me of something I wrote about here.

mynah said:
But his features could not discerned clearly. The whole figure appeared to be hazy, like looking through a mist.
It's common for apparitions to appear nondescript and hazy. A perfect example is the BVM, whose facial features are often either forgotten when the witness attempts to describe them, or are just difficult to make out during the actual sighting (it's hard to tell which, sometimes). In my sighting, I imposed the face of my mother onto her with my mind. Either that, or what I saw really was my mother and my mind imposed the figure and radiance of the Virgin Mary onto her for some reason.

Funnily enough for someone living in Ireland, I seem to have far more experiences of the odd and unexplainable than the locals here do.

Fairy folk are not spoken of. I assume in the more rural areas the belief in them would be stronger.

*waves magic wand and the fairies are now happily dancing together *

(um, threads merged)

Jane.

:laughing:

She stomped off home, grabbed hold of a sharp axe, went and chopped off the offending branch. Then she called in the two cowardly gardeners, “There, that thing shouldn’t bother you anymore. I want the branch cleared and the grass cut by this evening!”

That was great, Mynah. I guess your mom doesn't go for that "give 'em wide berth" thing! :laughing:

:D
I did tackle mother about that once. She said:

Showing disrespect = cutting off the branch mid-pixie-swing...

Branch cut off = no fairy playground = wide berth created.

That's my mother for you, very practical lady, solution for every problem. :)

Snake-Man Makes World's Longest Post!

Just remembered, the nearest 'It Happened To Me' sighting I have is of the rather common 'It Happened To Me Mum' variety...

Me Mum grew up in Vauxhall, hardly the most common haunt of the Fair Folk. In some Peabody Buildings, housing for less well off folk. In the late fifties.

She's out in the park and spots one. Do I have a description? Not really. I think it was of the gossamer winged variety. She says she just saw it, as children do, and just filed it away in her mind, rather than reacting to it at the time. And of course, like everyone else, she Swears It Was Real but she can't explain it.

A fair(l)y standard encounter, I'd say. I'll ask her about it properly next time I'm down to see her.

The area's been bulldozed down now to make nicer and more yuppie friendly flats - I certainly couldn't afford them!

Also, a few observations on a General Theory of Fairies:

1) When did they exist? The Day Before Yesterday.

- They're never here now, they always were here before, be it childhood or history. Rather than in the present, although as this thread has proved, not exclusively. Often people who see Them don't really think about it until days, or sometimes years, later. Characteristic of dreams, methinks. But I like to think they were never there at the time, if you see what I mean - they only pop up as memories later. That's a mindfark, eh?

2) Where do they live? In the Uncanny.

(Or the Unheimlich if you want to give it its posh, psycho-analytical title.) Or the Liminal, if you like - the border between real and unreal, rather than completely in one or the other. Out of the corner of your mind's eye, if you like. Unlike ghosts or even aliens, the whole 'proof' thing seems a bit irrelevant for Them; how can you prove or disprove a grinning sprite you've seen, which disappeared with no trace, whose face you can't remember and who you didn't react to at the time...

- So if you want to see one, try: believing you might, while tripping off your head on LSD at dawn or dusk having very little sleep, on your own, preferably in a place you find eerie or you know has occult associations. Who's to say whether they popped up from your mind or somewhere else, after all?

3) What are they?

Maybe they're artifacts of consciousness, psychic jokes from the earth itself (this is the way-cool Ultraterrestrial theory, isn't it?). In this respect, they're never going to be explained.

- Hence the laughing, and the endless, and always spooky, grinning. They're surreal in a way they seem quite complicit with. They always know more than you. Nobody ever encounters lost, broken or hurt fairies, that I'm aware of. Do they?

- They don't seem to need anything living creatures need to survive - there's no fairy ecology, permanent heirarchy or anything else. There's no set form for them. If there is any of this sort of thing, it changes from sighting to sighting. Like children dressing up, or actors, rather than legitimate sightings into a coherent Other Dimension. Hence, maybe, why they Have No Souls, because they don't have a set pattern of existence.

- They Play Tricks On You... like your mind does.

Controversial, or bleeding obvious? Tell me.

And two great, utterly fictional 'sources' which nobody's cited yet, which I'm surprised at:

Puck of Pook's Hill by Rudyard Kipling (who knew his spirits).
A couple of kids accidently conjure up the original Puck, a squat and Earthy sprite who takes particular exception to the Victorian fairy concept.

It has some great, basic Fairy Lore in.

WHICH SAYS:

Yeah, maybe They are the downgraded, forgotten Gods of yesteryear. In the first fantastic story, the powerful smithy God Weland comes over to England with Viking invaders, lives it up for a few centuries before being forgotten, and ends up a shoe-repairing sprite in some forgotten areas of, I think, the West Country. Where's Weland's Forge again?

AND ALSO:

Following on from The Day Before Yesterday concept – they idea they were here but aren’t now, that modernity of some kind has made them leave...

Kipling says all the fairies left at the time of Henry the Eighth’s destruction of the monasteries, claiming They can’t live peacefully in times of spiritual strife, even if it is Christian.

Of course, other writers (some on this thread) have put the leaving at different times. For Tolkien, it was at the end of the great era of prehistory, just as Man was beginning to take a hold over the world.

One of the neatest and most common puts it at the dawn of the industrial age, when Cold Iron rail tracks are being lain all over the country, thus making it impossible for the Fair Folk to get on with things.

But we’ve also heard about the last century’s world wars as being the impetus, so I expect the event horizon will just keep moving forward to keep Them on the edge of memory…

(I bet in the future, some people will claim They left the world after the bombing of the World Trade Centre, or some similarly traumatic event in history. That kind of global news does wrestle you effectively out of any cosily Uncanny mood you might have, doesn’t it?)

And (finally, I promise) for a modern, grown-up, magic realist take on Them, you have to read Little, Big by John Crowley. Which as, amongst other things, one of the most genuinely horrible Changelings in. And lots of ideas about, as you’d expect, scale. But mainly it’s adept at conjuring up the liminal atmosphere, the sense that there’s a curtain twitching somewhere, and if you could only look through it, you’d see Them at last…

I get the impression that there are places where the wee folk live and that that would be predominately Europe and the UK.
Apparently in Australia there are folk called wadachis - little hairy men, sometimes mischeivious, sometimes evil, I have heard they are only found out in the dessert in the middle of nowhere.
I don't think there would be any of the traditional faerie folk around here because the earth here does not have that vibe about it.
Likewise I wouldn't expect to find them in other desserts or frozen wastelands.
But when I am in the UK the air is saturated with the vibe. Its a difficult feeling to describe. Maybe it is because I was born up that way that I have more of an association, but I don't know.
Does anyone know of any variations on the faerie for different countries that differ from the traditional.

As far as I know, Little People live everywhere. It's often hard to sort out the genuine local traditions from the overlays and preconceptions of the (European based) folklore collectors who publish this material, but whatever the fairies are, they're everywhere. The Nenupe (better known by the name their enemies gave them, the Comanche) knew of a little people that hid in the grass and fired tiny arrows that never failed to kill, for example. (cf T.R. Fehrenbach, The Comanches.) Beyond the bare tradition, however, I have uncovered no records of stories about them. The conditions under which the Comanche oral tradition was recorded was not conducive to the telling of that kind of story.

Bear in mind that, if he had become famous in Scotland a century ago, Bigfoot would now be classed as a fairy creature.

Also, I have run across more than one first-person account of an English or European person in a non-European setting - New Zealand, for example - sighting a European-style pixie. This supports the notion that, when they are visible at all, the shape they take is subjective.

Fairies, Elves, Gnomes, Pixies . . .

Bagpuss's thread intrigued me.

Most cultures have traditions of small, magical people.

Is there any truth in these traditions somewhere along the line?

What do you think?

Carole

Not sure about magic but fairly convinced that the Borrowers exist. How else to explain all the missing stuff?

Went for a walk in the woods today,found a red toadstool, said to Deiter (our autistic son) "Look D, a fairy house", he then got down, looked at it and said "Door ?",meaning ,where was the door, Wife said "fairies asleep", he said "Wake". Theres someone who thinks they are real:) . Me ?,logical, analytical always looking for a rational explanation to things........I would like to believe, and I'm more than 75% to believing !!!!!!!.(If they dont exist, they should).

I believe in the fey folk. I don't think it is any harder to believe in fairies than it is shadowmen and dog-headed men and ghosts etc etc. I tend to believe its just a case of different life-forms, different planes of existence, which as adults we tend to shut out.

"Is there any truth in these traditions somewhere along the line?"

Yes - Charles Bonnet Syndrome, which has as a known (but not common) symptom hallucinations of little people. Older people living alone are more likely to be prone to it.

I see fairies all the time but, I don't usually see them in the same way one "sees" a material object. It's more like I feel their presence. I sense the intelligence of the land.

I've always felt they inhabited a 3rd realm (to use a spatial metaphor) that is neither subjective nor objective but intermediate between the two. Fairies are a part of us and seperate from us at the same time.

"neither subjective nor objective but intermediate between the two"

ie subjective :)

Hay Ho!

This thread is synchronised to one of my threads,i notice that it arrives after the 11 is posted.
Am i pulling you legs,lets see.
Good ol Bill.

I don't think they exist (who was it that said something along the lines of "I don't believe they exist, it's better for all of us that way"... ;) )

However, I did notice the other night, when walking past a wood filled with white moths, how they could easily be mistaken for small beings, especially in the moonlight.

(Back by the way... doubt anyone noticed I was gone!)

Wembley said:
ie subjective :)
Nope. Niether/nor. Or both/and depending on which way you look at it.:)

I noticed Taras. Welcome back.

since my sighting of a fairy the other day, i have been looking more closely at the many insects in my garden, and i can safely say none of them look like the life form i saw.

i dont intend to look for fairies in my garden and looking at the insects was just verification realy.

i definitely felt the preasance of the fairy and i go along with being able to feel various life forces. I work with buildings and the feelings you get from buildings are amazing. when people go in an old room and say "if these walls could talk" if they just took a moment and listened they would realise they do. So i feel that we could hear lots of beings or creatures through our senses.

bagpuss said:
I work with buildings and the feelings you get from buildings are amazing. when people go in an old room and say "if these walls could talk" if they just took listened they would realise they do. So i feel that we could hear lots of beings or creatures through our senses.
I think that's beautifully stated bagpuss. Worth a quote IMO.;)

Some societies believe in 'nature spirits', maybe there's a grain of truth in that. If so, maybe that's what you saw, Bagpuss; at least, whatever it was, it was sufficiently different from a winged insect to warrant your notice.

Carole

carole said:
Some societies believe in 'nature spirits', maybe there's a grain of truth in that. If so, maybe that's what you saw, Bagpuss; at least, whatever it was, it was sufficiently different from a winged insect to warrant your notice.

Carole

i very much like the sound of this idea.

I think there's just as much chance that they do exist as there is that they don't. But then, at what point does something exist?

"However, I did notice the other night, when walking past a wood filled with white moths, how they could easily be mistaken for small beings,"

Mistaken for? But they ARE small beings...:)

(Welcome back btw)

Back