• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fashion & Clothing: Follies, Fads & Social Norms

My Mum used to be a milliner. I think she made more of the 'Ronnie Jersey-style' hats than any other style.
And freepeople.com is still selling this hat, in different colors, more than 50 years since Woodstock.
Only they are calling it the 'Lake Washed Bucket Hat', I really must correct them on that!

1671813087362.png

Mr. R says that my Patricia Nash bag is just a Victorian London doctor's bag knock-off, with leather rose petals fashioned on it, he says it's from Jack The Ripper times: LOL

1675991198193.png

It always surprises me when Mrs T buys a bag they put it in another bag!
Posh handbags come with their own storage bag, made of cloth with a drawstring. I have one on a hook in my wardrobe.

About twice a year I notice it and think Oh look, there's that posh 'andbag. Next time I go out I'll have to remember to take it instead of a rucksack. :chuckle:

Kath Kidston bags are sold in a designer carrier bag. I have one. :cool:
The carrier bag, I mean.

It's big enough to put a change of clothes in, Mr. R calls it a suitcase!
I've gotten so used to big bags, I could never use a small one again. I don't know how men don't need one!
I walk a lot so always carry a small rucksack (for shopping mainly). It's ok during that one week of 'summer' that we have, but when you've got to wear 20 layers it becomes a bit awkward (to carry over my shoulder I mean), but yes, I would be lost without it.

I don't carry lipstick in mine though just for the record.

I walk a lot so always carry a small rucksack (for shopping mainly). It's ok during that one week of 'summer' that we have, but when you've got to wear 20 layers it becomes a bit awkward (to carry over my shoulder I mean), but yes, I would be lost without it.

Just opening my bag, I have all types of cosmetics, but always my lipstick, can't leave the house without it, I would feel undressed.
Sunglasses, wallet, change purse with id, paperwork, lottery tickets, tissues, duplicate keys for car and house, book (right now it's 'Zodiac'), money, spare money, pair of socks in case I get cold being out somewhere, to-do list, mirror, cell phone -
And Mr. R wants to know why it takes me so long to get out of the house, he always says, 'Are you sure you have everything?' LOL

It's big enough to put a change of clothes in, Mr. R calls it a suitcase!
I've gotten so used to big bags, I could never use a small one again. I don't know how men don't need one!
They do, but they're not allowed.
Anyway, a man's bag would end up with tools in it.

I also always carry a backpack, phone, spectacles,keys, extra shopping bag, books, biros,,no lipstick but lip balm yes.

Last edited:
Was talking to a guy years ago about this and he said that when he goes on holiday he hates to even carry a camera around with him let alone a bag. I sort of know what he means, but I'd feel lost without a small rucksack to carry a bit of water, small towel, little first aid kit, wipes etc.

My shade is currently 'Toast Of New York'

It always surprises me when Mrs T buys a bag they put it in another bag!
Once I went into a Tesco Express and, along with some groceries, I purchased a reusable bag, which the cashier automatically put into a disposable bag - this was in days before a carrier bag charge.
It took me two attempts to explain they could use the reusable instead, finally having to extract my goods from the disposable one and putting it into the other.
It wasn't a language barrier at all, but literally force of habit on the cashiers part.

Was talking to a guy years ago about this and he said that when he goes on holiday he hates to even carry a camera around with him let alone a bag. I sort of know what he means, but I'd feel lost without a small rucksack to carry a bit of water, small towel, little first aid kit, wipes etc.
When I was a student some blokes would turn up with just a folder and a few sheets of paper in it. They'd often 'forget' to bring even a pen, relying on others to lend them stuff. They soon learned not to ask me!

Back