• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fashion & Clothing: Follies, Fads & Social Norms

Exhibit B:

View attachment 72910

Another longhaired layabout, courtesy of 'the beautiful game'. It appears that, if one has a public profile, anything you wear is acclaimed to be fashionable. Even Sellotape underpants, or socks made out of tv aerials. No wonder the Nazis won, if this trendily-bored twit with his inflatable hair accordion is emblematic of Generation Eggs. I didn't get where I am today by etc etc.
And obviously SERIOUSLY short of pockets. (See previous recent discussion).

Bringing out from the the pdf at @Kondoru 's link, Oh my goodness! That is fabulous! And a great report by Jacqui Wood too.

In reference to the Orkney Hood.

The concept of a full hood that can be used as an addition to any other combination of garments seems an eminently practical one.

However, I'd guess that one technical issue would be that to remain in place it would need at least as much weight below the neckline as above - probably more - otherwise it would be too easily disordered by the physical movement of the wearer or the external action of wind blowing up under the hem.

If you tried to add ballast to the garment by extending downwards with unbroken fabric, while keeping the garment close enough to the body to stop it being blown about and ballooned, you would start to restrict movement of the shoulders. Therefore, it strikes me that although at first view the fringe might appear decorative it may be that the long fringe was also a practical way of adding significant weight to the hood without reducing upper body mobility, and without creating an unbroken surface for wind to act upon.

I too would like to see @Kondoru's finished product.

Exhibit B:

View attachment 72910

Another longhaired layabout, courtesy of 'the beautiful game'. It appears that, if one has a public profile, anything you wear is acclaimed to be fashionable. Even Sellotape underpants, or socks made out of tv aerials. No wonder the Nazis won, if this trendily-bored twit with his inflatable hair accordion is emblematic of Generation Eggs. I didn't get where I am today by etc etc.

It should maybe be noted that even within the gilded wardrobes of football Dominic Calvert Lewin is something of an outlier, being very self-consciously a fashionisto. Aside from big events and fashion shoots, very few in the real world dress anything like that on anything like a daily basis. It's essentially performance art, rather than a reflection of what people are actually wearing at street level; and I'll warrant that no generation in history is without it's utter dickheadery in the area of fashion.

…I'll warrant that no generation in history is without it's utter dickheadery in the area of fashion.

477a8a82bff84d0004975d32fa9c839d--gentlemans-club-regency-era.jpg

maximus otter

Therefore, it strikes me that although at first view the fringe might appear decorative it may be that the long fringe was also a practical way of adding significant weight to the hood without reducing upper body mobility, and without creating an unbroken surface for wind to act upon.
This is why scarves such as the keffiyeh have a fringe. It weights the ends down without bulk.
I add ornamental fringes to floaty scarves for the same reason. Looks smart, does a job.

In Europe during the middle ages, leggings were tied by 'points' to a soft, interior belt.
The lower 'levels' of clothing to a male was a loin cloth, then belt, then leggings/stockings. On top was a chemise, then under tunic, then tunic or cote hardie.
Going to the loo was easy - sit down & pull loin cloth to one side.

Definitely a fashion foible, even though this could be useful in a strange way!!

The models are not exactly looking thrilled at wearing them though!! :rofl:

View attachment 55001
I first thought the first picture was spelling out a certain Irish swearword.....

Also, from 1982, I present this...

tumblr_f2458dede64b98cf94cf57553f3bd99b_0fc1aeee_1280.jpg

I recognise her but don’t know her name. I’m sure she is in one of the films I have on dvd.
Same here, looks familiar but can’t place her.
That style of dressing and the hair-do seem almost compulsory for the sixties.

Back