• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fashion & Clothing: Follies, Fads & Social Norms

To our modern eyes, a bit weird. To the population of the day? "Whatta guy!"
In another life, I'd model myself on Wyngarde.
I thought I had his autograph in my little book from the early 70s but it was Derren Nesbitt, another one of those flamboyant 60s/70s British actors. When I was 13 or 14 I always imagined them living such an exotic lifestyle (and they probably did!).
Derren Nesbitt came to a youth motorcycle motocross meeting for some reason, with his wife Anne Aubrey. I had managed to wear my Dad down until he finally got me an old scrambler to ride (schoolboy scrambling they called it then!). They were both dressed in fur coats and looked very much 'stars'.

I admire people who dress how they please, and who don't give a damn what others may think about it.

I agree.
We often see a young person in a nearby town who dresses in a most unique way. I'm not sure whether they're male or female, they are very slim and wear all black, always in a hoodie and jacket no matter the weather. But what stands out is that they paint/makeup their face so that it is completely bright white. They stand out from the crowd and whether or not this is what they want, they at least have the conviction to be the person that they want to be.

Exhibit B:

View attachment 72910

Another longhaired layabout, courtesy of 'the beautiful game'. It appears that, if one has a public profile, anything you wear is acclaimed to be fashionable. Even Sellotape underpants, or socks made out of tv aerials. No wonder the Nazis won, if this trendily-bored twit with his inflatable hair accordion is emblematic of Generation Eggs. I didn't get where I am today by etc etc.
Why is he dressed like someone who confused their HRT and LSD?

Why is he dressed like @Swifty? And why is she dressed like @maximus otter ?

Last edited:
I’ve never seen a trouser like that before. It’s a wonder they didn’t catch on.
Simple answer? Pleats. I do not iron. Pleats are a definite nightmare to keep straight.

Tell me about it.
I'm still shell-shocked from learning how to clean my kilt and maintain the pleats!*

*No joke. I custom made my kilt for my wedding. I want to wear it again (waist permitting) and it's a personal goal!

'Fan Trousers: the sensation that's sweeping the nation! Be the envy of your rubbish neighbours with these stylish revolving disco-pantaloons!'

I’m allergic to ironing as well. Used to have to iron shirts for work but since retiring I don’t iron anything any more!
When I worked on the railways I'd only only iron the part of the shirt that people would see underneath my jacket unless it was hot weather, then I'd have to iron the whole bloody shirt.

What, in the name of Beezlebub, is going on in this world?!?!?:

1711629773098.png

This is a good Twitter thread on jackets and blazers.

Let's first review some basics.

1. A suit is a garment where the jacket and pants are cut from the same cloth.

2. A sport coat is a jacket meant to be worn with trousers cut from a different cloth.

3. A blazer is sport coat with metal buttons.

But if you go into a traditional tailoring shop and ask for a blazer, you will get a navy jacket with metal buttons. If you ask for a boating blazer, the tailor will pull out a book full of crazy fabrics.

I dream of purchasing a striped boating blazer.
I am shameless!
It'll go with my white linen trousers and two-tone brogues, topped off with a boater or a Panama.

I'm waiting for the feckin' weather, though.
You'd need to wear that outfit for punting in (say) Cambridge. That might be the only justification for such a sartorial choice.

This is a good Twitter thread on jackets and blazers.

Let's first review some basics.

1. A suit is a garment where the jacket and pants are cut from the same cloth.

2. A sport coat is a jacket meant to be worn with trousers cut from a different cloth.

3. A blazer is sport coat with metal buttons.

But if you go into a traditional tailoring shop and ask for a blazer, you will get a navy jacket with metal buttons. If you ask for a boating blazer, the tailor will pull out a book full of crazy fabrics.

I'd always assumed that the name 'blazer' had originated with the fact that they were typically emblazoned with the crests and colours of the schools, clubs and societies they represented.

Buttons seem wholly incidental.

The '-er' suffix may denote the object performing the verb ('player', 'dancer' or 'manager'), but here it's more likely to be an 'Oxford '-er' (such as 'rugger', 'soccer', 'Divvers' 'brekker', champers--or my favourite: 'Honkers and Shankers').

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_"-er"

I'd always assumed that the name 'blazer' had originated with the fact that they were typically emblazoned with the crests and colours of the schools, clubs and societies they represented.

Buttons seem wholly incidental.

The '-er' suffix may denote the object performing the verb ('player', 'dancer' or 'manager'), but here it's more likely to be an 'Oxford '-er' (such as 'rugger', 'soccer', 'Divvers' 'brekker', champers--or my favourite: 'Honkers and Shankers').

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_"-er"
Ah, this is the kind of discussion I enjoy!

I was inspired to look at boating blazers and 1 and 2 are very nice. But probably I'm too old for that. I'm too much a cheapskate for numer 3. And that blazer is too thight, I hate that.
1711783218614.png
1711783277248.png
1711783378052.png

’What do you want?’
’Information’

Just about everything you’ll ever need to know about 6’s outfit.

https://bamfstyle.com/2022/03/19/th...tive piece of,their associated club or school.

00007602-8BB7-4E9B-BD3C-8043425034D9.jpeg

His identity and sense of individualism stripped from him, Number Six is issued the daily “uniform” of a rowing blazer, mockneck, khakis, and deck sneakers, all consistent with the pallid seaside surroundings. Number Six is also issued a flat straw boater and a lapel badge emblazoned with a red “6”, both of which he instantly discards.

What, in the name of Beezlebub, is going on in this world?!?!?:

View attachment 75128

Something that happens every year around the beginning of April?

Bit of a clue - the product code is, apparently, AF0104.

Although I think they are only (not) available on the app.

It has nothing to do with the world.
It's all to do with fashionista cockmonkeys.

Or a 'statement' about the shoe not being important but the brand ... whatever.

Or...is it to do with something that happens every year around the beginning of April?

Last edited:
Oh I love him!!...

Yes, he's kind of cool.

Although he also takes me back to being a schoolboy in the 70's, when - at least around my way - any such posturing within the range of a group of scruffy ragamuffins in ill-fitting school uniforms was likely to invoke a chorus of, 'Ooooh - you're hard!' - delivered somewhat in the manner of Larry Grayson.

You needed to plan your exit strategy before hand, mind - but, delivered in the proper way, a devastatingly effective psychological weapon.

Back