• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fashion & Clothing: Follies, Fads & Social Norms

If you want proof on why is LSD is so bad for you just look to the fashion of the bands of the early to mid 1960s like The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, Small Faces etc and then look at them from 1968 onwards...it was the taste of the god awful 1970s to come.
Small Faces 1965
1592660243139.png

The Who 1969
1592660399429.png

If you want proof on why is LSD is so bad for you just look to the fashion of the bands of the early to mid 1960s like The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, Small Faces etc and then look at them from 1968 onwards...it was the taste of the god awful 1970s to come.
Small Faces 1965
View attachment 27394
The Who 1969
View attachment 27396

Point taken, but the 1960's (and I was only 8 when the decade ended) , when I look at it in visual images and from what I know about the sociology and the culture... in 1960 there was an expectation that as a boy grew up into adulthood, there was no such thing as fashion - you were expected to dress and style yourself as a younger edition of your father. After about 1965 there was a growing trend that young people styled themselves more freely, more expressively and the last thing you wanted to look like was one of your parents. And nobody had really done that before so the results, fro this distance, look clunky, messy, "WTF?" and all over the shop.

And in between... you get the Small Faces circa 1965, looking like trendy young teachers who cannot get out of the sports jacket look - all it needs is leather elbow patches and more tweed. Not even the Beatles were immune from this... scroll forward to 1967-68 and the Sergeant Pepper look and you get the feeling the pendulum swung too far the other way, as if somebody had been physically holding it back for decades, and then let it go all at once... (My aunt bought me a Freddie From Scooby-Doo cravat in 1969, when I was seven - looked awful....)

Point taken, but the 1960's (and I was only 8 when the decade ended) , when I look at it in visual images and from what I know about the sociology and the culture... in 1960 there was an expectation that as a boy grew up into adulthood, there was no such thing as fashion - you were expected to dress and style yourself as a younger edition of your father. After about 1965 there was a growing trend that young people styled themselves more freely, more expressively and the last thing you wanted to look like was one of your parents. And nobody had really done that before so the results, fro this distance, look clunky, messy, "WTF?" and all over the shop.

And in between... you get the Small Faces circa 1965, looking like trendy young teachers who cannot get out of the sports jacket look - all it needs is leather elbow patches and more tweed. Not even the Beatles were immune from this... scroll forward to 1967-68 and the Sergeant Pepper look and you get the feeling the pendulum swung too far the other way, as if somebody had been physically holding it back for decades, and then let it go all at once... (My aunt bought me a Freddie From Scooby-Doo cravat in 1969, when I was seven - looked awful....)

Now older people dress like young people which is a bit of a shame with the skate/surf gear as a lot of us built those firms. Still, I think you have to wear clothes which suits your age. So during work, it's shirts, etc.

(waits for the impending de-rail hammer...)

Back in the 80s when I was a young teen living the the village of the damned (not Cromer) I was the one and only mod in the village and was on the receiving end of many a comment about my attire.....fishtail parka, trilby hat, big bullseye on my back for bikers to aim bricks at etc. Things didn’t really improve after I switched to become a Numanoid.....God that village was sooooo backward. It even had a few remaining Teddy boys......in the 80s!! (Apologies to any Teddy boys on here)

Back in the 80s when I was a young teen living the the village of the damned (not Cromer) I was the one and only mod in the village and was on the receiving end of many a comment about my attire.....fishtail parka, trilby hat, big bullseye on my back for bikers to aim bricks at etc. Things didn’t really improve after I switched to become a Numanoid.....God that village was sooooo backward. It even had a few remaining Teddy boys......in the 80s!! (Apologies to any Teddy boys on here)
I think the last Teddy boy I saw was back in the late 70s.

Hammer? No, no, my good man - mallet's the word ...

TableCroquet.jpg

We simply knock any thematically drifting posts into a more appropriate place.

I don't know what scarg is doing in the foreground at that table...

It's from earlier today ... She was waiting to see the final disposition of her Magnets thread suggestion ...

Now older people dress like young people which is a bit of a shame with the skate/surf gear as a lot of us built those firms. Still, I think you have to wear clothes which suits your age. So during work, it's shirts, etc.

Meanwhile young mens fashion goes 'grandpa cool'.
Much like the 'modest wear' that overtook womens wear last year.

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2020/jun/20/grandaddy-cool-why-young-men-are-dressing-old-school

I think the last Teddy boy I saw was back in the late 70s.
Around 1977, there was an interesting social phenomenon which I noticed around half past seven on a Thursday night, regularly, just after Tomorrow's World. The first cutting-edge punk bands who were fit to be seen on TV, but only on sufferance, were appearing on Top of the Pops. You know, the cleaner, less smelly-looking ones. Things like the Buzzcocks, the Clash, et c, alongside anodyne pop acts. But something else was there too. You'd have the Clash, then something sacharrine like the Dooleys. And then... they'd wheel on an inexplicably popular act like the Darts, or Showaddywaddy, who were throwbacks to about 1957, in the full teddy boy rig, who would then do a song that would not have been out of place in 1957 in terms of style, content, vocal harmonies, arrangements, et c.

So the 15 year old of 1977, who was there for the good stuff and hoping Rat Scabies would tell the watching British public on live TV to go eff themselves, (as you do) would sit back looking bemused in a WTF? sort of way at this seriously out-of-place throwback and timeslip.

It took a while to figure this out. A decade or two, in fact - got to the late 1980's - 1990's, and acts and tunes started appearing in the chart that had a real psychedelic late 1960's vibe, but by modern bands. I wondered what the logic of this was - especially when some year in the 1990's began to be explicitly billed as "the Second Summer of Love", a throwback to Woodstock. It occured to me that people now in their forties and fifties would have been young - teens, early twenties - in 1966 - 70. A quarter century later, they were now in their late forties and early fifties and getting nostalgic for the music they grew up with. And people of that generation were record company execs, TV commisssioning producers, radio people.... revisting their glory years and making it happen. Especially for a large music-consuming demographic of the same age who were likely to be sharing the nostalgia. And if today's kids could be drawn into a revival with a nostalgia thing going on for the music of 25 years earlier, so much the better.

Which explains why Showaddywaddy and the Darts were big, twenty odd years after their proper time - older people getting nostalgic...

Yep. Same reason Happy days was a big tv hit in the 70s.
And not just nostalgia for those there at the time.

As a teenage girl in the 80s we had a fad for 50s style. Girls had posters of James Dean and Marilyn Monroe and there was a bunch of 60s songs re-released in the charts.

Back to the future was an 80s film set in the 50s.

Now we have Stranger Things and The Goldbergs on tv celebrating the 80s for those born at least a decade later.

Friends (90s) is hugely popular among those not even born when the show finished.
Even though that was only a couple of years ago, and fuck im old. o_O

Well it wasn't all bad fashion from 1967 as you had the Hard Mod cum Skinhead look which would progress quickly into the Suedeheadf and then Smoothie but by 1972 the horrid Boot Boy look would go on till the advert of Punk ( think Bay City Rollers fashion but with the Crombie and DMs of the Skinhead).Also if you look at films pictures of normal folk from 1967-1970/71 the 3 button suit was still popular plus the Mod scene continued up North with Northern Soul but sadly the dreaded flares look etc creeped in mid 1970s.
There was still fashion in the 1950s as with the Teds and Trad Jazz/Mod Jazz scenes.

I might start a post about British youth tribes ?

A few months ago I read that Korean beauty products were all the rage, as was something called "glass skin" where you layer on moisturiser and highlighter which is supposed to give skin an ethereal glow. That might explain why I saw two women at the weekend with a kind of sickly silver pallor that made them look like space aliens. I later saw another (or possibly the same one) driving a car. The look was concluded with a stripe of dark brown contour halfway down the face. I am not sure they had quite got the hang of it. I blame Youtube.

https://www.spacenk.com/uk/en_GB/inside-space/in-focus/glass-skin.html

Anyone else spotted this?

A few months ago I read that Korean beauty products were all the rage, as was something called "glass skin" where you layer on moisturiser and highlighter which is supposed to give skin an ethereal glow. That might explain why I saw two women at the weekend with a kind of sickly silver pallor that made them look like space aliens. I later saw another (or possibly the same one) driving a car. The look was concluded with a stripe of dark brown contour halfway down the face. I am not sure they had quite got the hang of it. I blame Youtube.

https://www.spacenk.com/uk/en_GB/inside-space/in-focus/glass-skin.html

Anyone else spotted this?
Well when i was a greasy faced teen trying to make your face 'matte' was all the rage. Now i'm old with dry dull skin, making your face look greasy is in.

Not sure if a trend setter or behind the times.

Small Faces 1965
View attachment 27394
The Who 1969
View attachment 27396

You're saying this like 70s fashion was bad...
FB_IMG_1598362939922.jpg

Around 1977, there was an interesting social phenomenon which I noticed around half past seven on a Thursday night, regularly, just after Tomorrow's World. The first cutting-edge punk bands who were fit to be seen on TV, but only on sufferance, were appearing on Top of the Pops. You know, the cleaner, less smelly-looking ones. Things like the Buzzcocks, the Clash, et c, alongside anodyne pop acts. But something else was there too. You'd have the Clash, then something sacharrine like the Dooleys. And then... they'd wheel on an inexplicably popular act like the Darts, or Showaddywaddy, who were throwbacks to about 1957, in the full teddy boy rig, who would then do a song that would not have been out of place in 1957 in terms of style, content, vocal harmonies, arrangements, et c.

So the 15 year old of 1977, who was there for the good stuff and hoping Rat Scabies would tell the watching British public on live TV to go eff themselves, (as you do) would sit back looking bemused in a WTF? sort of way at this seriously out-of-place throwback and timeslip.

It took a while to figure this out. A decade or two, in fact - got to the late 1980's - 1990's, and acts and tunes started appearing in the chart that had a real psychedelic late 1960's vibe, but by modern bands. I wondered what the logic of this was - especially when some year in the 1990's began to be explicitly billed as "the Second Summer of Love", a throwback to Woodstock. It occured to me that people now in their forties and fifties would have been young - teens, early twenties - in 1966 - 70. A quarter century later, they were now in their late forties and early fifties and getting nostalgic for the music they grew up with. And people of that generation were record company execs, TV commisssioning producers, radio people.... revisting their glory years and making it happen. Especially for a large music-consuming demographic of the same age who were likely to be sharing the nostalgia. And if today's kids could be drawn into a revival with a nostalgia thing going on for the music of 25 years earlier, so much the better.

Which explains why Showaddywaddy and the Darts were big, twenty odd years after their proper time - older people getting nostalgic...
There was a teddy Boy Rock'n'Roll Revival in the late 60s which lasted till the early 1980s and then you hard the mutant offspring Psychobilly which lasted into the late 1980s and was even part of the former Mod Revival the National Scooter Scene.
The late 80s and early 90s second Summer of Love was stuff like S Express and Happy Mondays etc

Levi's and a T-shirt have worked for me since 1976-ish, when I grew out of full-on hippie. But I have substituted a black shirt for the white one - you need to be thinner than I am to wear a white t-shirt.

Men: Flaunt your fluidity, disrupt toxic gender stereotypes and expose yourself to charges of lethal gullibility by buying and wearing this Gucci frock. Alternatively, don it and enjoy this year's Halloween as Little Orphan Annie.

GucciFrock4Men.jpg

Gucci releases tartan dress for men to ‘disrupt toxic stereotypes’ of gender

Gucci is fighting gender norms with a tartan dress for men.

The luxury retailer has unveiled the orange dress which costs £1,700 and features satin bow detail.
The label hopes that the tartan smock shirt will fight the ‘toxic stereotypes that mould masculine gender identity’.

The dress is inspired by the 90s grunge looks and comes with mother of pearl buttons and a Contrast Peter Pan collar. ...

It is also 100% cotton and includes smock embroidery.

The gender-bending outfit can be styled with a pair of denim jeans to complete the look. ...

FULL STORY: https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/04/gucc...disrupt-toxic-stereotypes-of-gender-13368618/

@Timble2 - I know, that hat is just.... :rollingw:

Is the bodice smocking? shirring elastic?

And you're right. MUCH better garments at charity shops.

Back