• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fizzy Custard

My Dr Pepper doesn't taste like marzipan.

Nope, I've never thought it tasted like marzipan either.

Couldn't really say what it tastes like, though... but if I had to say, then I'd say it's a bit like Dr Pepper.

GURRRDURZZZ :) ...

This will be our fizzy custard trial .. c02 canisters slotted into a charger that airgun and bike enthusiast also use as well as pro chefs .. it might even actually work if we can trick the custard into not being a dairy product .. we've already successfully used this equipment to create fizzy food

Am I the only one who finds the concept of you tricking custard into not being a dairy product, immensely hilarious? :D

Would sherbet mixed into thick custard work as a fizzy custard?
Inquiring minds need to know!

Would sherbet mixed into thick custard work as a fizzy custard?
Inquiring minds need to know!

Sherbet contains acid, which would probably react badly with the milk/cream in regular custard and curdle the stuff. Non-dairy custard might work but you'd have to eat it quick before the acid and base of the sherbet react so there's still a bit of a fizz when you eat it.

You can carbonate milk. If you sweeten it (e.g. as part of custard) it might even be palatable.

And now I'm back to worrying about how explosive fizzy custard could be. Will I be responsible for the annihilation of Cromer?
We're on it. Don't worry.

We can't possibly be the first people ever to try and make fizzy custard, the internet isn't offering any help, all I can find is a flavour of vaping fluid with the same name.
I think it would be easy, follow the recipe above but use the custard extract for bakers instead of soda extract.

In fact, if you want to get all Heston Blumenthal, you could make your own custard extract using gelatin filtration https://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/05/dining/05curi.html

Back when Sodastreams were all the go I bought one and tried all the flavours, then my son and I moved on to fizzing up whatever else was around.

Results were as follows:

Orange juice - exploded all over us and kitchen.
Lemonade - exploded all over us and kitchen.
Milk - exploded all over us and kitchen.
Beer - exploded all over us and kitchen.
etc

Can't remember trying custard. A major oversight right there.

We can't possibly be the first people ever to try and make fizzy custard, the internet isn't offering any help, all I can find is a flavour of vaping fluid with the same name.

Sounds like a job for Uncle Rob.
"First take some custard powder and put it in a bowl. THEN... fill it with gasoline."

"and THEN... drink your desk whisky like a REAL man."

Talk about coincidence Swifty. A workmate bought this back for me from Thailand. Walked into work this morning and there it was on my desk waiting for me.

Erm, has anyone ever drunk this brand of Whiskey..?....if indeed it is Whisky :oops:

IMG_1360.PNG

Talk about coincidence Swifty. A workmate bought this back for me from Thailand. Walked into work this morning and there it was on my desk waiting for me.

Erm, has anyone ever drunk this brand of Whiskey..?....if indeed it is Whisky :oops:

View attachment 22653

Well, they call it whisky... it's a 35% blended spirits made from molasses and rice, apparently. The Internet recommends ice and soda.

View attachment 22653
It's a rum but they call it whisky in Thailand and it goes down best in a big glass of ice and soda water in very hot weather.

Once again a thread fills me with the desire to reply to so many posts, none of them directly related to the original topic. Oh, well - never stopped me before.

The color of cream soda: In the States, this seems to be a regional thing. In the New York area, they are mostly brown - possibly to remind people of egg creams, which have a similar taste. Some areas have the clear version, and I have on one occasion encountered blue cream soda. (This was long ago, so don't ask me what color comes from where.)

Dr. Pepper: It wasn't generally available in my area when I was a child - no local bottlers. Eventually the local Coca-Cola bottlers made an agreement with Dr. Pepper to produce it here, which resulted in the area not ever having Mr. Pibb (later reformulated as Pibb Xtra) Coca-Cola's later Dr. Pepper knockoff that isn't produced in markets where the Coke bottlers make Dr. Pepper. As for Dr. Pepper's taste, I think it's kind of like a light Cherry Coke with spices added. (I'm also old enough to remember when cherry Coke was something custom mixed at the fountain, not a preformulated and copyrighted product.)

By the way, when I saw the name of this thread, I thought "Fizzy Custard" was a pretty good band name. Hong Thong would be their opening act.

:botp:

And now I'm back to worrying about how explosive fizzy custard could be. Will I be responsible for the annihilation of Cromer?
You were bound to annihilate Cromer sooner or later.

Back